The GOP's New Fake Racial History

I wanna tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that there's not enough troops in the army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the ****** race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches​
- Strom Thurmond
He said that in 1948 -- while he was a Democrat. He didn't switch parties until 1964. :lol:

I realize you're not bright enough to know what happened in the '68 race, where Thurmond supported Nixon, and delivered South Carolina for him, in spite of many delegates wanting to jump over to those Dixiecrats Wallace bandwagon.

You can be in denial all you want, but the GOP capitalized on the anger of Southern white racists, and those people went from right wing Democrats, to Wallace neo-Dixiecrats, to Reagan Democrats, to Republicans, and that was based on the Democratic support of civil rights.

Are you really too moronic to understand the impact of depriving the Southern States to use institutional racism in voting, jobs, and public accomodation?

There's a difference between us Daveman. I'm not playing apologist for the Democratic Party. I see and admit to some of the party's failings of the past. You on the other hand are using lame anecdotal nonsense to sell some sort of revisionist view of the reality of the clear political realignment of Southern white racists.

Would you even concede that the Council of Conservative Citizens is a racist group? Why does Haley Barbour still become a feature at their events? What did Trent Lott mean when he said that we'd be better off if Strom Thurmond were elected in '48?

Last edited:
Or 40 years ago. Which pretty much supports Haley Barbour's point. Thanks for pointing out this important fact!

No it doesn't because Haley Barbour's attempt was to associate a more liberal/progressive/pro-civil rights Republican party of the past with the rightwing anti-progressive party of the present.

FAIL.
The more you and the newly minted moron Dick Tuck post, the more apparent it is that your thesis is badly flawed and unsipported. Poor Dick has been pwned on every point he's tried to make.

I'll ask you directly then. How is it that Barry Goldwater, who voted against the 1964 civil rights act, got 87% of the vote in Mississippi in the 1964 presidential election?

Just explain that ONE example.

Rachel Maddow is an ugly dyke. When people trot her out, they've really reached the end of their resources.

Wow, you're a homophobe, as well as an apologist for Southern racists (if not a closet racist). What does her sexual orientation or your opinion of her looks have to do with the realignment of Southern whte racists into the GOP? You're whats wrong with America today.

Last edited:
Apparently the GOP feels the need to have its Southern members like Haley Barbour go out and spread the lie that it wasn't race that caused the Democrats in the South to go running full-speed to the Republican party. It was....some other reason.

Can you believe that tripe? Read it and weep.

The GOP's new fake racial history - War Room - Salon.com

*SMH*

Thats one of the most bizzare attempts by the liberal salon.com to justify why the democrat party has passed so many laws (segregation brought to you by the democratic party after the republican party brought the civil war to free the slaves)that are inherantly bad for minorities and their communities.

Never mind the results of LBJ's war on poverty, this woman understands it (toward the end of the video after the abortion arguing)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX864fXR1A0&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Black Conservatives Blast Al Sharpton Protesters in DC 8/28[/ame]

Rachel Maddow is an ugly dyke. When people trot her out, they've really reached the end of their resources.

Wow, you're a homophobe, as well as an apologist for Southern racists (if not a closet racist). What does her sexual orientation or your opinion of her looks have to do with the realignment of Southern whte racists into the GOP? You're whats wrong with America today.

Rabbi has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that we've won the argument.

I wanna tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that there's not enough troops in the army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the ****** race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches​
- Strom Thurmond
He said that in 1948 -- while he was a Democrat. He didn't switch parties until 1964. :lol:

I realize you're not bright enough to know what happened in the '68 race, where Thurmond supported Nixon, and delivered South Carolina for him, in spite of many delegates wanting to jump over to those Dixiecrats Wallace bandwagon.

You can be in denial all you want, but the GOP capitolized on the anger of Southern white racists, and those people went from right wing Democrats, to Wallace neo-Dixiecrats, to Reagan Democrats, to Republicans, and that was based on the Democratic support of civil rights.

Are you really too moronic to understand the impact of depriving the Southern States to use institutional racism in voting, jobs, and public accomodation?

There's a difference between us Daveman. I'm not playing apologist for the Democratic Party. I see and admit to some of the party's failings of the past. You on the other hand are using lame anecdotal nonsense to sell some sort of revisionist view of the reality of the clear political realignment of Southern white racists.

Would you even concede that the Council of Conservative Citizens is a racist group? Why does Haley Barbour still become a feature at their events? What did Trent Lott mean when he said that we'd be better off if Strom Thurmond were elected in '48?

You keep repeating this like it is some kind of proof in the face of contrary evidence. It isn't.
The South remained Democratic up until the 1990s, and still is locally in most places. Wrap your head around that fact. Then try to deal with the idea that George Wallace was elected with a majority of the black vote the last time he ran for governor. and that Thurmond supported extensions of the civil rights act, a holiday for Martin Luther King, and hired one of the first blacks as a congressional staffer.

You refuse to respond to my numerous posts pointing out that your central thesis is simply untrue. That makes you a liar.
And that's all you really need to know about Dick.

They want to maintain this fiction that all racists from the 1960s migrated to the GOP. BUt the South was solidly Democratic up until the 1990s, and probably still is on the local level. The facts just don't bear out what they want to say. Add to that the much lower level of racial animosity in the South today from the North today and the racists are pretty clearly the Democrats. They are the ones who have pushed failed policies that have kept blacks subservient and dependent. They push failed policies that keep poor blacks in inner city schools. They push failed policies that result in higher unemployment rates for blacks across the board.
Teh Democrats are the party of racists. And of course, the Party of Fuck You.

agreed.

Take this snippet from the OP article

But it's an inconvenient story for today's Republican Party, which still relies on cultural, racial and ethnic wedge issues to keep its base in line -- but which also needs to win over less conservative suburbanites across the country to compete in national elections.

you really have to be utterly disconnected from reality and/or an uber partisan hack, to buy that.

Almost everything the dems do is to placate special interests which became their new base post 1968 election and all the upheaval from that particular era, identity politics is their bread and butter.

and this another snippet from this overgeneralized, ad hominem article rife with mischaracterization, to say nothing of intellectual honesty lacking details is;

Thus, the party takes pains every four years to showcase as many black Republicans as it can at its national convention -- a message not so much to black voters but to white suburbanites who want reassurance that they're not voting for a Goldwater party.

I see, so when the republican party has black adherents in power positions or nominate blacks to high positions, Judgeship's, Supreme court its just messaging to white in suburbia....what dreck. (hello? Calling Sonia Sotomayer, anointed an aggrieved minority status, how many times was; "Latino/Hispanic woman" splayed across the MSM? What kind of naked appeal was that aimed at? Hypocrisy at a breathtaking level)

No where in the article does the author address the rabid opposition to any and all blacks who self identify as Republicans etc. Gee whats the message behind that Mr. Author, have an opinion on that? No....to inconvenient, frankly the article blows.

Last edited:

You can be in denial all you want, but the GOP capitolized on the anger of Southern white racists, and those people went from right wing Democrats, to Wallace neo-Dixiecrats, to Reagan Democrats, to Republicans, and that was based on the Democratic support of civil rights.

You keep repeating this like it is some kind of proof in the face of contrary evidence. It isn't.
The South remained Democratic up until the 1990s, and still is locally in most places. Wrap your head around that fact. Then try to deal with the idea that George Wallace was elected with a majority of the black vote the last time he ran for governor. and that Thurmond supported extensions of the civil rights act, a holiday for Martin Luther King, and hired one of the first blacks as a congressional staffer.

Rabbi, you are wasting your time, only segregationists that didn't go off the reservation like Bryd et al are accorded any redemption status.

You see if he decided to get on board with integration but stayed a dem. hes a god, if one decided to go republican ( the real party of civil rights) they are running away to succor their segregationist self....

And the sad part of this all is, blacks buy it. They have put themselves into the democratic parties hands for 50 years, any objective look at the laws, money and attention given them has rendered them in many cases ( absent civil rights of course) worse off than they were before.

the black unemployment rate has skyrocketed yet they remain steadfastly behind obama, I think the author is just pissed that many are making noise ( not enough though) and are beginning to see through this shit, and they are scared to death that the new plantation will be exposed for what it is.

What contrary evidence? I'm sure that Thurmond went to his grave regretting his legacy of being a racist. But what does that have to do with the role he played in the '68 election? Tell me about the states that had institutionalized segregation until '64 that went for the Democratic Party candidate? Tell me that southern racists didn't either vote for Nixon or leave the party to vote for Wallace in that race.

What and where was Reagan's first speech given in the '80 campaign? States rights in Philidelphia Mississippi, where 3 people were murdered for trying to get African Americans the right to vote. That's right States rights, wink wink. States rights meant one thing in the South at that time, and that was the right to maintain their system of aparthied.

Now what was Nixon's opinion of blacks back then? Let's go to his tapes and see.

I have the greatest affection for them [blacks], but I know they're not going to make it for 500 years. They aren't. You know it, too. The Mexicans are a different cup of tea. They have a heritage. At the present time they steal, they're dishonest, but they do have some concept of family life. They don't live like a bunch of dogs, which the Negroes do live like.​
- May 13, 1971, conversation among President Richard Nixon, John D. Ehrlichman, and H. R. Haldeman. On October 5, 1999, the National Archives made available to the public 445 hours of previously unreleased Oval Office tapes. The following dialogue was transcribed by Chicago Tribune reporter James Warren.

What does newly released Nixon papers show?

Papers indicate Nixon had racial strategy

Strategists for President Richard Nixon considered using race to divide Democrats in Nixon's re-election effort in 1972, newly released documents show.

The strategy paper in the files of Nixon aide H.R. Halderman, which laid out issues within the Democratic Party Republicans could try to exploit, was among the documents released Monday by the National Archives, CNN reported.

Listed in "Dividing the Democrats" was a strategy calling for the distribution of bumper stickers that "should be spread out in the ghettos of the country" calling for "black presidential and especially vice presidential candidates."

To try to weaken the Democratic challenge to Nixon's re-election, the paper said Republican operatives should "do what is within our power to have a black nominated for No. 2 at least at the Democratic National Convention," CNN reported Monday.​

Its why the republicans have worked repeatedly to keep black voters from voting for decades now

Its why the republicans have worked repeatedly to keep black voters from voting for decades now

Including the recent use of lies of ommission to demonize ACORN. How about those recent convictions for caging in areas with high African American residents? Those are the facts on the ground. Then there was Kathrine Harris bogus felons list. If the GOP really believed in civil rights, they wouldn't be doing all these things to disenfranchise people based on race.

gee Nixon was a conniving son of a bitch, I'll alert the media, I don't see how this helps your case.

the op as crappy as it is, appears to be saying with a great deal of inference and supposition, outright intellectual dishonesty, and huge lack of detail and analysis, that the south decided they now had to leave the dem. party move rep. so as to embrace their segregationist self.....to the party who had voted overwhelmingly FOR civil rights.

You throw us the head of Nixon and say see, there it is!!!..proof....no sale.

as a general note, I love it when a guy posts an article makes 6 responses in the first 3 pages, 2 of them pics and 3 one lines and then disappears from this own thread....but he has a history of that so, what the helll..

Last edited:

TruthMatters I'm here to help you with another misconception. Here you go friend.

During the Reconstruction period of 1865–1877 federal law provided civil rights protection in the South for "freedmen" — the African Americans who had formerly been slaves. In the 1870s, white Democrats gradually returned to power in southern states, sometimes as a result of elections in which paramilitary groups intimidated opponents, attacking blacks or preventing them from voting. Gubernatorial elections were close and disputed in Louisiana for years, with extreme violence unleashed during the campaign. In 1877, a national compromise to gain southern support in the presidential election resulted in the last of the federal troops being withdrawn from the South. White Democrats had regained power in every Southern state.[4] The white, Democratic Party Redeemer government that followed the troop withdrawal legislated Jim Crow laws segregating black people from the state's white population.

Blacks were still elected to local offices in the 1880s, but the establishment Democrats were passing laws to make voter registration and elections more restrictive, with the result that participation by most blacks and many poor whites began to decrease. Starting with Mississippi in 1890, through 1910 the former Confederate states passed new constitutions or amendments that effectively disfranchised most blacks and tens of thousands of poor whites through a combination of poll taxes, literacy and comprehension tests, and residency and record-keeping requirements. Grandfather clauses temporarily permitted some illiterate whites to vote. Voter turnout dropped drastically through the South as a result of such measures.

Jim Crow laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caging (voter suppression) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1980s
In 1981 and 1986 the Republican National Committee (RNC) sent out letters to predominately African-American neighborhoods. When tens of thousands of them were returned undeliverable, the party successfully challenged the voters and had them deleted from voting rolls. Due to the violation of the Voting Rights Act, the RNC was taken to court. Its officials entered a consent decree which prohibited the party from engaging in anti-fraud initiatives that targeted minorities or conducting mail campaigns to "compile voter challenge lists."[5]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX864fXR1A0&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Black Conservatives Blast Al Sharpton Protesters in DC 8/28[/ame]

there is always this to TM

gee Nixon was a conniving son of a bitch, I'll alert the media, I don't see how this helps your case.

the op as crappy as it is, appears to be saying with a great deal of inference and supposition, outright intellectual dishonesty, and huge lack of detail and analysis, that the south decided they now had to leave the dem. party move rep. so as to embrace their segregationist self.....to the party who had voted overwhelmingly FOR civil rights.

as a general note, I love it when a guy posts an article makes 6 responses in the first 3 pages, 2 of them pics and 3 one lines and then disappears from this own thread....but he has a history of that so, what the helll..

The proof is the outcome. Southern racist Democrats realigned with the GOP, and the keystone event was the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and the evidence that Nixon exploited that racial hate is well documented.

The proof is the outcome. Southern racist Democrats realigned with the GOP, and the keystone event was the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and the evidence that Nixon exploited that racial hate is well documented.

so they voted with the republicans for civil rights???????

Forum List

Back