The first commandment

Actually, from context, he cared a lot.

The whole deal of the golden calf really pissed him off.

that is because it had become numero uno god.

They had to melt it down and make the ark I think.

Never hurts to read the relevant text if you are going to argue about its meaning.

It is very clear that there is one Gd, you don't go sneaking around chasing other ones.

You don't do idols, you don't make gods of things.

The first commandment specifically states "other gods".
The word of god indicates the existence of other gods.

Are you disputing the word of your god?

It is clear from the text that the author is using the term Gds in the same way Nietzsche did. Creations of the hand of man that man worships for unhealthy reasons. You don't make gods of the likes of your car, your house, favorite movie stars. And first and foremost, don't make a god of your own ego, that you think that you are the fist person to come up with this silly argument, that it makes any sense in context, or that you are the wisest owl in the tree for having thought of this argument 57th.

again----as long as the minor 'gods' played second fiddle he doesn't care.

that is what it says and as long as worshipping the lesser gods does not conflict with the other commandments I would assume.

One could get all symbolic and interpret other gods as thigs like money or power. I imagine God is pretty deep.

I learned it as "I am the Lord thy God, thou shall not have false gods before me". I always interpreted it as you will not praise things (falseness) in lieu of God, you praise God. You know, like in the Ten Commandments when they were stuck in Egypt for 40 years, hanging with not much to do so they 'went all bad and stuff' and melted down the gold and molded it into a calf? or something and started praising that 'false god' and turned away from God. Yeah, God frowns upon that and made #1 that you shall not have these false gods. Ok, that's all I had to say.

The First commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, might, and strength.

But i suppose that depends what you mean by having gods

Forum List

Back