The Ebola Heroes

Anyway, Val, I appreciate discussing this with you. Refreshing to talk to someone without an agenda....it's almost like talking to myself, lol.

always a pleasure, my dear... just thinking out loud, it's nice to have a rational sounding board to think things through! :)

Of course it is. You are a frightened fool.

I'm not worried about Ebola. I'm worried that we have Obama as President and people like you and g5000 who want to drink the bodily fluids of the infected.

Is that right? You aren't afraid of Ebola? You are just worried about Obama?

That's not crazy. Not at all.

Short of spraying Ebola with a crop duster, Obama and his moronic CDC head Frieden are doing everything in their power to create a true outbreak in the USA

Of course they are. And the reason is so obvious. Right?

Yes. They hate American and think we DESERVE Ebola

Yup, gotta spread that Third World around. Americans deserve some Ebola. They needed to learn a lesson. It's another wonderful Dear Leader 'Teachable Moment.' Thank you for Ebola Obama.

Last edited:
Of course it is. You are a frightened fool.

I'm not worried about Ebola. I'm worried that we have Obama as President and people like you and g5000 who want to drink the bodily fluids of the infected.

Short of spraying Ebola with a crop duster, Obama and his moronic CDC head Frieden are doing everything in their power to create a true outbreak in the USA

Right! You are right!

Yup, gotta spread that Third World around. America deserves Ebola. This President is a criminal. Period, end of story.

And,,,,another guy with the answers. President Obama wants people to die from Ebola! You are so right!

Yup, gotta spread that Third World around. America deserves Ebola. This President is a criminal. Period, end of story.

And,,,,another guy with the answers. President Obama wants people to die from Ebola! You are so right!

There's no other explanation for it. Any normal President would require a 21 day wait period for anyone trying to fly from the Hot Zone to the USA.

At this point, anyone who's been in the Hot Zone should go on a White House tour

There's no other explanation for it. Any normal President would require a 21 day wait period for anyone trying to fly from the Hot Zone to the USA.

At this point, anyone who's been in the Hot Zone should go on a White House tour

Yeah! No other explanation! You got it! You are sane and well thought out. Right on!

Yeah, spread that Ebola love around the White House.

Yeah! No other explanation! You got it! You are sane and well thought out. Right on!

My explanation is, he's a piece of shit who dismantled our Immigration System. He is to blame for Ebola in America. So fuck em.

These people are medical experts on ebola and should know the risk they represent to the people they come in contact with.
Anyone that has been in contact with Ebola patients in West Africa and returning to the US should at least maintain a 21 day self quarantine.
Most of the people fighting this disease in Africa are there because they choose to be there. If you put a 3 week quarantine on them when they return, it's going to make it harder to get the people that we desperate need to volunteer.

That would be
These people are medical experts on ebola and should know the risk they represent to the people they come in contact with.
Anyone that has been in contact with Ebola patients in West Africa and returning to the US should at least maintain a 21 day self quarantine.
Most of the people fighting this disease in Africa are there because they choose to be there. If you put a 3 week quarantine on them when they return, it's going to make it harder to get the people that we desperate need to volunteer.

You would prefer that they could possibly get Ebola and infect others. OK

thanks to the CDC and the WHO a cure is on the way...

There's no cure for Ebola. So why have some patients walked away healthy while others in the West died?
Dr. Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol and Dr. Rick Sacra all contracted the disease while working in Liberia -- and all survived.

Spanish nurse's aide Teresa Romero Ramos got the virus while tending to stricken patients. She too lived.

While there might not be a single, conclusive answer, a series of factors may contribute to survival.

The survivors in the United States all have one thing in common -- they were rushed to two of the country's four hospitals that have been preparing for years to treat a highly infectious disease such as Ebola.

After finding a hospital capable of treating Ebola, those who survive are usually rehydrated quickly.

"The most important care of patients with Ebola is to manage their fluids and electrolytes, to make sure that they don't get dehydrated," said Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "And that requires some meticulous attention to detail and aggressive rehydration in many cases."

And if an infected patient getting proper care normally has a strong immune system, the chance of surviving goes up.

Plasma transfusions

Three Ebola patients -- Sacra, NBC cameraman Ashoka Mukpo and Texas nurse Nina Pham -- all received plasma donations from Brantly. And all three have survived.

The theory is that Brantly's plasma contains the antibodies necessary to fight the virus.

"It's very fortunate that the three patients I've been able to donate to, they and I share the same blood type,"
Brantly told CNN's Anderson Cooper.

"I'll keep doing it as much as it's needed, as much as I can."

There was some controversy about why Brantly didn't give plasma to Duncan. But the problem came down to blood type, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital said.

WHO to review Ebola response amid criticism of its efforts

Experimental drugs

Medication that hasn't gone through clinical trials can be risky. But with a mortality rate of 50% in the current Ebola outbreak, a WHO panel said it is ethical to offer drugs to fight the virus -- even if their effectiveness or adverse effects are unknown.

The experimental drugs at the center of this Ebola outbreak are ZMapp, Favipiravir, Brincidofovir and TKM-Ebola.

Brantly and Writebol both took ZMapp, and both survived. But Pajares also took ZMapp, and he died.

The director of Emory's Infectious Disease Unit cautioned against viewing ZMapp as a surefire cure.

"They are the very first individuals to have ever received this agent," Dr. Bruce Ribner said. "There is no prior experience with it, and frankly, we do not know whether it helped them, whether it made no difference, or even, theoretically, if it delayed their recovery."

Spanish nurse's aide Teresa Romero Ramos took the anti-viral drug Favipiravir and also received antibodies from a survivor in West Africa. She is now free of the virus.

In addition to getting a blood transfusion, Sacra received an experimental drug called TKM-Ebola, which the Food and Drug Administration recently approved for wider use.

Duncan took a different untested drug, Brincidofovir. But he didn't receive it until six days after being admitted to the Texas hospital. Had he taken it earlier, the outcome might have been different.

Ebola in the West Why some survive others don t - CNN.com

Common sense. The NY doc should have been quarantined as well.

"In the wake of the first confirmed Ebola virus case in New York City, the states of New York and New Jersey have set up a new screening system that goes above and beyond the guidelines already set up by federal officials.
As CBS 2’s Alice Gainer reported, no other states have yet set up increased screening procedures for Ebola.

“We believe it’s appropriate to increase the current screening procedures from people coming from affected countries from the current (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention screening procedures),” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Friday afternoon. “We believe it within the State of New York and the State of New Jersey’s legal rights.”

Under the new rules, state officials will establish a risk level by considering the countries that people have visited and their level of possible exposure to Ebola."

New York New Jersey Set Up Quarantine Requirement Amid Ebola Threat CBS New York

excellent example of states properly exerting themselves...

"It's important to remember that of the seven Americans treated so far for Ebola - the five who contracted it in West Africa, plus the two nurses from Dallas - all seven have survived," Obama said.

He did not address new 21-day quarantines implemented late on Friday by New York and New Jersey for medical workers returning from Ebola hot zones. The administration is discussing similar measures.

"We have been examining the protocols for protecting our brave health care workers, and, guided by the science, we'll continue to work with state and local officials to take the necessary steps to ensure the safety and health of the American people," Obama said.

Obama We have to be guided by the facts not fear on Ebola Reuters

Yup, gotta spread that Third World around. Americans deserve some Ebola. They needed to learn a lesson. It's another wonderful Dear Leader 'Teachable Moment.' Thank you for Ebola Obama.

Are you finished playing with your straw man?

strawman_kit.jpg

What is particularly tragic about the pants shitters is that they tend to be on the new Right end of the spectrum. The tragic part is that the guy they called "Doctor Ebola" is a Christian missionary. A man of high standing within their own community, and yet they allowed their irrational fears to vilify and condemn him and make him part of some sort of bizarro Obama conspiracy.

That is a particularly disgusting part of this whole story.
THE disgusting part of the story is that the same people who are telling us that we have nothing to fear when a person who has recently come from treating ebola patients and is feeling "sluggish" rides the subway and goes out in public, are the same people who quake in fear when a responsible, sane, law abiding adult carries a concealed weapon with more than a few rounds in the magazine.
Most of us are more likely to be shot than catch Ebola.
Up to this point, yes, but if we get 100 cases here, the potential is huge, especially in a city like New York.

Common sense. The NY doc should have been quarantined as well.

"In the wake of the first confirmed Ebola virus case in New York City, the states of New York and New Jersey have set up a new screening system that goes above and beyond the guidelines already set up by federal officials.
As CBS 2’s Alice Gainer reported, no other states have yet set up increased screening procedures for Ebola.

“We believe it’s appropriate to increase the current screening procedures from people coming from affected countries from the current (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention screening procedures),” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Friday afternoon. “We believe it within the State of New York and the State of New Jersey’s legal rights.”

Under the new rules, state officials will establish a risk level by considering the countries that people have visited and their level of possible exposure to Ebola."

New York New Jersey Set Up Quarantine Requirement Amid Ebola Threat CBS New York

excellent example of states properly exerting themselves...

"It's important to remember that of the seven Americans treated so far for Ebola - the five who contracted it in West Africa, plus the two nurses from Dallas - all seven have survived," Obama said.

He did not address new 21-day quarantines implemented late on Friday by New York and New Jersey for medical workers returning from Ebola hot zones. The administration is discussing similar measures.

"We have been examining the protocols for protecting our brave health care workers, and, guided by the science, we'll continue to work with state and local officials to take the necessary steps to ensure the safety and health of the American people," Obama said.

Obama We have to be guided by the facts not fear on Ebola Reuters

Apparently Governors Christie and Cuomo are a lot smarter than Obama. Better to inconvenience a few than to risk infecting many.

Low death rates????? There should be no deaths at all from ebola here. I don't care if you quarantine returning medical and military personnel at 5* resorts They deserve it. Just keep them separate from the civilian population for 30 days.

Do you feel the same way about the flu, which kills a bunch more people than ebola?

Btw, if Samaritan's Purse thinks they should self isolate, why don't they demand it of their employees/volunteers? Why are they depending on the government?

some do and the article mentions them in that context, so i'm pretty sure they do...
I'd like to see the stats on that as they are bad mouthing the CDC when the CDC saved the lives of at least two of their medical workers. smells like political hackery.

The two Samaritan Purse Doctors came back on a chartered jet in Hazmat suits and were immediately place in isolation since they already had Ebola. Are there any more that have returned that I did not hear about? Sorry, I didn't read the link, but I think the federal government should require a 21 day quarantine, since it is rather obvious that two other Doctors have not honored their voluntary quarantine.

in their own homes sounds fine... why go on the subway one week after getting back and force others to be quarantined on account of you?
Right I hear you. That doctor was stupid. But if he wasn't symptomatic, aren't we over reacting?

you mean maybe we let his close contacts take the nyc city subway instead of quarantine them? maybe we are over reacting by quarantining them?? that gets to my point that IF the situation calls for immediate 21 day quarantine of contacts who were MAYBE exposed, why on earth would the situation not call for quarantine of KNOWN overt exposure...?
I think that anyone that has come in direct contact with an Ebola victim that is contagious should self isolate. And anyone that has come in contact with an Ebola victim that is not contagious need not isolate but should take their temperature daily and be made aware of symptoms to watch for.

Governors Cuomo and Christie disagree with you, but then what do they know.

When the Chinese swarmed over the Korean border and escalated the war there, the ones in front threw themselves on the barbed wire fences so their comrades behind them could get past our defenses.

That is some chilling shit right there. That kind of hardcore self-sacrifice for the good of the whole.

Well, folks, that's what these doctors and nurses have been doing on our behalf in Africa. They have been taking huge risks, with some of them catching the bullet, in order to save the world from a pandemic.

I find it utterly disgusting their sacrifices have been perverted by fearmongering assholes who want the rubes shitting in the pants so they stay tuned for the commercials for gold-plated commemorative coins and HGH.

We should be greeting these amazing and courageous doctors and nurses back home as the heroes they are, and placing them on the highest pedestals we can make.

That is all.

I couldn't agree more. And after each and everyone of them is quarantined for at least 21 days after they return, Obama should give each one of them the Medal of Freedom.
I'l go with that but with one qualification. Any one of them that infects just one other person here in the States should be prosecuted for attempted murder. OK?
Well that should pretty well guarantee that medical personal will stop volunteering their service.

I think most of the hysteria will disappear when we start seeing low death rates in the US. It looks like the rate is going to be about 1 in 10 now. Since most of the disease is brought in by healthcare workers who monitor their condition and contacts and seek medical help in the earliest stages, the death rate will probably fall a lot lower.
Low death rates????? There should be no deaths at all from ebola here. I don't care if you quarantine returning medical and military personnel at 5* resorts They deserve it. Just keep them separate from the civilian population for 30 days.
One thing to keep in mind is that most of the doctors and nurses from the US are volunteers. They sign up for a fixed period of time and have jobs and a practices waiting for them when they return. Adding a 3 week quarantine based on political motives rather science will certain make volunteering less attractive.

So much of what is going on is strictly political one-upmanship which will disappear after the elections.

Any and all travelers coming back from West Africa MUST visit the White House to personally that the Obamas for letting them in the USA.

Forum List

Back