The Ebola Heroes

Have you noticed that doctors without Borders will go to Africa but not Watts. You don't see these doctors treating the sick in American slums.
That could be because the availability of high quality medical services are ready available in LA. In Africa, there are only 2.3 healthcare workers per 1,000 people. In the US there's more than 24.8 per 1,000 and there are 25% less communicated diseases to deal with.

http://www.who.int/whr/2006/overview_fig6_en.pdf
Then thousands of people don't really show up at free health fairs.
Surely you're not comparing the need for healthcare in LA with west Africa? :cuckoo:

Did you missed these two sentences because you are an Obama supporter? I will repeat it and wait for your explanation.

“While infections in adjacent cages may have occurred by droplet contact, infections in distant cages suggests aerosol transmission, as evidence of direct physical contact with an infected source could not be established,” the study added.

The study also referred to the 1989 Ebola outbreak at a primate quarantine facility in Reston, Va., in which the virus rapidly spread between unconnected rooms.

I most certainly am concerned about the virus spreading throughout Africa, but this study indicates the hot climate is not conducive to Ebola becoming airborne. My concern is because we have a President that is too busy playing golf and attending fund raisers to rally European countries and the United Nations to join in the fight to confine and conquer this disease in West Africa.
Europe is much closer to Africa than we are and are at greater risk. Where is American leadership when we need it?
George W Bush reached out in a big way to fight AIDS in Africa and got other countries to contribute as well. Just my two cents worth.
The official CDC report did not come up with the conclusion that Ebola was spread through the air. That is a supposition of the writer.

During the quarantine of 10 monkeys both simian hemorrhagic fever and Ebola were detected. A separate shipment of monkeys were received and quartered in a separate room. They also tested positive for Ebola. I love the way the writer enhances his piece by adding "the virus rapidly spread between unconnected rooms." The more logical conclusion was that the monkeys were previously exposed since they came from the same area as the other monkeys but of course, that works against the story line.

The suggestion that the virus will become airborne with lower temperatures is without proof and goes against our knowledge of how the virus works. A virus becomes airborne if it mutates. If we're going stop the spread of Ebola, we have to make decisions based on solid scientific evidence, not suppositions, hysteria, and politics.
Ebola Virus Infection in Imported Primates -- Virginia 1989

From your posts,one can only conclude that you're primarily motivation is partisan politics.

You quote your study and I will quote mine. On edit. Every thing you have made up about monkeys coughing and monkeys that were previously exposed is debunked in the actual report made in 1995, 6 years after the one you cite. Try reading page 228 and 229 and you will find that you don't have a clue.
That's nonsense. This experiment showed that Ebola could be transmitted between monkeys by placing a monkey in a sealed chamber and pressurizing exhalations of body fluids and delivering them through a neutralizer for 10 mins. to produce a highly concentrated aerosol which infected other monkeys. As the farmer said, what does this have to do with the price eggs? We are talking about the possibility of spreading the disease through coughs and sneezing. The concentration of body fluids expelled into the air in the real world are very low not highly concentrated as in the experiment, humans do not inhale coughed body fluids for 10 mins, and Ebola does not create coughing in early stages when the public would likely to be exposed.

Prior to this epidemic, our knowledge of Ebola was mostly what we gleamed from the lab and limited field reports. If there is anything good about the epidemic, it's our increase in knowledge of the epidemiology of the disease. We know exactly how the disease is spread and what we need to do to stop it. We don't need to rely on obsolete laboratory investigations of 10 or 15 years ago and certainly not political motivate decisions.

The question was is there airborne transmission of Ebola and the answer is YES. What in the hell makes you think this scientific investigation, which is 6 years newer than the one you rely on, was politically motivated?
I used the report of the 1989 Ebola outbreak at a primate quarantine facility because you brought it up in your post #175.

The 1995 study I linked to referred to the 1989 study as follows.

"The study also referred to the 1989 Ebola outbreak at a primate quarantine facility in Reston, Va., in which the virus rapidly spread between unconnected rooms."
“While infections in adjacent cages may have occurred by droplet contact, infections in distant cages suggests aerosol transmission, as evidence of direct physical contact with an infected source could not be established,” the study added.

This is what you initially dismissed by saying that the monkeys were right next to each other. That would be rather amazing when the study indicated "distant cages" and "unconnected rooms,"

When the Chinese swarmed over the Korean border and escalated the war there, the ones in front threw themselves on the barbed wire fences so their comrades behind them could get past our defenses.

That is some chilling shit right there. That kind of hardcore self-sacrifice for the good of the whole.

Well, folks, that's what these doctors and nurses have been doing on our behalf in Africa. They have been taking huge risks, with some of them catching the bullet, in order to save the world from a pandemic.

I find it utterly disgusting their sacrifices have been perverted by fearmongering assholes who want the rubes shitting in the pants so they stay tuned for the commercials for gold-plated commemorative coins and HGH.

We should be greeting these amazing and courageous doctors and nurses back home as the heroes they are, and placing them on the highest pedestals we can make.

That is all.
Just make sure the pedestal is in quarantine.

Hmmm, is the doc who brought it to NYC a hero?

Just askin'.
Goddam right he is, pants-shitter.
Pant's shitter???

Hell no, I don't have Obola, internet tough guy.
I'm not the one all panicky and shitting my pants in fear over Ebola.

You people are too easily spooked, which makes you very profitable for the evildoers who are manipulating your fear.
I have no fear of Ebola.

It is not coming to where I live.

I am really, really deep in the backwoods, and need blow only two bridges, and none but the military could get here.

The more Ebola, the more left for the survivors, if I had to look at it from a practical point of view.

Well, bully for you.

The official CDC report did not come up with the conclusion that Ebola was spread through the air. That is a supposition of the writer.

During the quarantine of 10 monkeys both simian hemorrhagic fever and Ebola were detected. A separate shipment of monkeys were received and quartered in a separate room. They also tested positive for Ebola. I love the way the writer enhances his piece by adding "the virus rapidly spread between unconnected rooms." The more logical conclusion was that the monkeys were previously exposed since they came from the same area as the other monkeys but of course, that works against the story line.

The suggestion that the virus will become airborne with lower temperatures is without proof and goes against our knowledge of how the virus works. A virus becomes airborne if it mutates. If we're going stop the spread of Ebola, we have to make decisions based on solid scientific evidence, not suppositions, hysteria, and politics.
Ebola Virus Infection in Imported Primates -- Virginia 1989

From your posts,one can only conclude that you're primarily motivation is partisan politics.

You quote your study and I will quote mine. On edit. Every thing you have made up about monkeys coughing and monkeys that were previously exposed is debunked in the actual report made in 1995, 6 years after the one you cite. Try reading page 228 and 229 and you will find that you don't have a clue.
That's nonsense. This experiment showed that Ebola could be transmitted between monkeys by placing a monkey in a sealed chamber and pressurizing exhalations of body fluids and delivering them through a neutralizer for 10 mins. to produce a highly concentrated aerosol which infected other monkeys. As the farmer said, what does this have to do with the price eggs? We are talking about the possibility of spreading the disease through coughs and sneezing. The concentration of body fluids expelled into the air in the real world are very low not highly concentrated as in the experiment, humans do not inhale coughed body fluids for 10 mins, and Ebola does not create coughing in early stages when the public would likely to be exposed.

Prior to this epidemic, our knowledge of Ebola was mostly what we gleamed from the lab and limited field reports. If there is anything good about the epidemic, it's our increase in knowledge of the epidemiology of the disease. We know exactly how the disease is spread and what we need to do to stop it. We don't need to rely on obsolete laboratory investigations of 10 or 15 years ago and certainly not political motivate decisions.

The question was is there airborne transmission of Ebola and the answer is YES. What in the hell makes you think this scientific investigation, which is 6 years newer than the one you rely on, was politically motivated?
I used the report of the 1989 Ebola outbreak at a primate quarantine facility because you brought it up in your post #175.

"The study also referred to the 1989 Ebola outbreak at a primate quarantine facility in Reston, Va., in which the virus rapidly spread between unconnected rooms."

This is what you initially dismissed by saying that the monkeys were right next to each other. That would be rather amazing when the study indicated "distant cages" and "unconnected rooms,"
The CDC report, stated, "Monkeys from a later shipment quarantined in a second room also had unusually high mortality and were tested by a rapid antigen detection enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Ebola viral antigen was detected in serum and/or tissues from seven of these monkeys.' There was no indication that these monkeys contracted the virus from the infected monkeys in the previous shipment and there was certainly no statement the virus rapidly spread between the connecting rooms or even that it was airborne.

The CDC report, stated, "Monkeys from a later shipment quarantined in a second room also had unusually high mortality and were tested by a rapid antigen detection enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Ebola viral antigen was detected in serum and/or tissues from seven of these monkeys.' There was no indication that these monkeys contracted the virus from the infected monkeys in the previous shipment and there was certainly no statement the virus rapidly spread between the connecting rooms or even that it was airborne.

And if it comes from the CDC... does one of the C's stand for Competency? Didn't think so. Oh, how we need an overhaul of government!

Forum List

Back