The dreaded "s" word

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
A few weeks ago, a newscaster on Face the Nation asked Pete Buttigieg, the transportation secretary, if people should drive less. He refused to say yes. No one in the Biden administration is willing to suggest that any American make sacrifices, either to fight inflation or to reduce carbon emissions.

I suspect they dread the “s” word, sacrifice, because it harkens back to the Carter Administration, when in a July 1979 speech the President went on national television to address the cutoff of Iranian fuel that generated an energy crisis. Jimmy Carter decried Americans’ “self-indulgence and consumption.” In his call for sacrifice, he said, “Every act of energy conservation is more than just common sense — I tell you it is an act of patriotism.”

While the speech was well received by the public at the time, it is mostly remembered as evidence of national “malaise” that contributed to Carter’s defeat by Ronald Reagan in 1980.

In today’s political climate, most leaders seem to believe that citizens have suffered enough during the COVID epidemic and should not be asked to make any further sacrifices. Both parties claim they offer the best policies for a “return to normal” even if scientific evidence suggests pending disasters from climate chaos that will only get worse through “self-indulgence and consumption.”

A few weeks ago, a newscaster on Face the Nation asked Pete Buttigieg, the transportation secretary, if people should drive less. He refused to say yes. No one in the Biden administration is willing to suggest that any American make sacrifices, either to fight inflation or to reduce carbon emissions.

I suspect they dread the “s” word, sacrifice, because it harkens back to the Carter Administration, when in a July 1979 speech the President went on national television to address the cutoff of Iranian fuel that generated an energy crisis. Jimmy Carter decried Americans’ “self-indulgence and consumption.” In his call for sacrifice, he said, “Every act of energy conservation is more than just common sense — I tell you it is an act of patriotism.”

While the speech was well received by the public at the time, it is mostly remembered as evidence of national “malaise” that contributed to Carter’s defeat by Ronald Reagan in 1980.

In today’s political climate, most leaders seem to believe that citizens have suffered enough during the COVID epidemic and should not be asked to make any further sacrifices. Both parties claim they offer the best policies for a “return to normal” even if scientific evidence suggests pending disasters from climate chaos that will only get worse through “self-indulgence and consumption.”
Ok. But Carter was wearing a nice sweater when he saying that, to prove that he was suffering just like the other Americans who couldn't afford to heat their home.

ELGwWHLW4AAbLCF.jpg

Both parties claim they offer the best policies for a “return to normal” even if scientific evidence suggests pending disasters from climate chaos that will only get worse through “self-indulgence and consumption.”

OP, they have convinced you to vote yourself a lower standard of living because of an invisible boogeyman which they claim they can tackle through higher taxes on carbon, while they emit 10 times or more carbon than the average person.

Once they control carbon, they literally control everything - energy, agriculture, transportation, the economy, even life itself.

They aren't looking for voluntary sacrifice anymore; they are hoping to legislate it.

(Gave you thumbs up for a civil and unique post)

Yes, sacrifice people to save the planet.

They are doing that all the time now.

In fact, farmers around the world are being told by their governments they can't grow as many crops because fertilizer emits carbon. Meanwhile, the UN says about a billion people will starve to death next year.

Gee, I hope if they kill off enough people, or impoverish enough people, it will lower the global temperature half a degree. Only then can we all smile and pat ourselves on the back and say how it was all worth it.

But only through the leadership of one Joe Biden

He is a legend.

Yea, that's the answer, more fake climate change scientific evidence. ... :cuckoo:
In the case of extreme heat, the model finds 50 counties, home to 8.1 million residents, that are expected to experience temperatures above 125°F in 2023, the highest level of the National Weather Services’ heat index. By 2053, 1,023 counties are expected to exceed this temperature, an area that is home to 107.6 million Americans and covers a quarter of the US land area. This emerging area, concentrated in a geographic region the Foundation calls the “Extreme Heat Belt,” stretches from the Northern Texas and Louisiana borders to Illinois, Indiana, and even into Wisconsin.

First Street Foundation Finds Over 30.4 Million Properties Have a 1% or Greater Chance of Experiencing a Wildfire During the Course of a Mortgage

Ok. But Carter was wearing a nice sweater when he saying that, to prove that he was suffering just like the other Americans who couldn't afford to heat their home.

ELGwWHLW4AAbLCF.jpg
Wow, dissing a white christian man.

How far has the right fallen.

I propose we sacrifice Democrats. All Democrats stop driving today. Turn off your air conditioners and lights. Take one for the team. Lead by example...no?? Yeah thought so. Get back to us when you practice what you preach. :talk2hand:

I propose we sacrifice Democrats. All Democrats stop driving today. Turn off your air conditioners and lights. Take one for the team. Lead by example...no?? Yeah thought so. Get back to us when you practice what you preach. :talk2hand:
It would be an interesting experiment if instead of one mayor, governor, congressperson or President, there were two of each, and everyone could live under the laws, taxes, etc. of the leader they voted for.

Some things would have to still be mutually decided, but things like carbon restrictions would only be imposed on Dems that voted for them, and Rs who didn't could enjoy V8 cars, heat set to whatever they wanted, cheaper appliances that work better, etc.

A party of excess and freedom, and another of self-sacrifice and restrictions. :)

Most of the Dems would switch parties.

I bet that most of the people who vote for higher taxes are doing so because they want other people to pay more. That kind of explains the current state of things where we in the US are highly divided, and the ruling party imposes things on the losing one.

In the case of extreme heat, the model finds 50 counties, home to 8.1 million residents, that are expected to experience temperatures above 125°F in 2023, the highest level of the National Weather Services’ heat index. By 2053, 1,023 counties are expected to exceed this temperature, an area that is home to 107.6 million Americans and covers a quarter of the US land area. This emerging area, concentrated in a geographic region the Foundation calls the “Extreme Heat Belt,” stretches from the Northern Texas and Louisiana borders to Illinois, Indiana, and even into Wisconsin.

First Street Foundation Finds Over 30.4 Million Properties Have a 1% or Greater Chance of Experiencing a Wildfire During the Course of a Mortgage
Those models are about as accurate as the one that says I will continue banging my wife until we are in our 90s!

Forum List

Back