The DaVinci Code

gop_jeff said:
What religion teaches that it is a sin to live??? :confused:

In the ten commandments, "Thou shalt not kill" I don't see any caveat about what you kill or for what reason. That makes the interpretation that to kill is to sin.

[QUOTE='ol Perfessor]In the ten commandments, "Thou shalt not kill" I don't see any caveat about what you kill or for what reason. That makes the interpretation that to kill is to sin.[/QUOTE]

First, we were talking about whether living was a sin, not killing.

Second, the more appropriate translation is 'You shall not murder.'

gop_jeff said:
First, we were talking about whether living was a sin, not killing.

Second, the more appropriate translation is 'You shall not murder.'

Hair splitting does not address the central statement.

[QUOTE='ol Perfessor]Hair splitting does not address the central statement.[/QUOTE]

Backup wisenheimer. Hair splitting was your premise. "If the bible says no killing, then how come in war the military blah blah blah."

Jeff's point that the correct translation of "thou shalt not kill" is "thou shalt not murder" is highly relevant, if you care to consider it.

Da Vinci Code Gets Day in Court
By Marta Falconi, Associated Press
February 19, 2005

In mock trial, critics try to debunk claims in best seller that many regard as fact.

ROME -- Art experts and conservative clerics are conducting an unusual "trial" in Leonardo da Vinci's hometown aimed at sorting out fact from fiction in the The Da Vinci Code after many readers regarded the smash hit novel as truth. (Guess they forgot they were reading a work of fiction.)

The event in Vinci, just outside Florence, began Friday with an opening statement by Alessandro Vezzosi, director of a da Vinci museum. He said he will produce photographs and documents as evidence of the mistakes and historical inaccuracies in Dan Brown's best seller.

"Leonardo is misrepresented and belittled," Vezzosi said in a telephone interview hours before the event began. "He was a man full of fantasy, inventions and genius."

The novel's contentious premises -- namely, that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and sired a bloodline -- have provoked unprecedented protest among Roman Catholic and Protestant conservatives, who claimed that Brown's characters inaccurately malign Christianity.

The book portrays Roman Catholic leaders as demonizing women for centuries and covering up the truth about the Holy Grail, which the novel says is Mary Magdalene herself.

Vezzosi said he will produce evidence through 120 photos based on documents and paintings with the aim of "reassessing and disclaiming the author" of the mystical thriller, a mix of code-breaking, art history, secret societies, religion and lore.

Vezzosi said one example of the mistakes in the book is the statement that the "Mona Lisa" was made in da Vinci's image. "There's a very big difference between 'Mona Lisa's' and Leonardo's noses, mouths, eyes and expressions," he said.

Dan Brown told NBC's "Today" in June 2003 that while the novel's main character is fictional, "all of the art, architecture, secret rituals, secret societies, all of that is historical fact."

The Da Vinci Code has sold more than 7.5 million copies worldwide.

clumzgirl said:
At the risk of giving away the end of the book, I have no problem with the idea of Jesus being married. Brown (the author) makes a pretty good argument. But I've also heard an extension of that theory that Christ actually survived the crucifiction, and THAT I have a huge problem with!

It seems to me that if Jesus wanted the full human experience, being married would be included. (I can hear the jokes about nagging right now...) But seriously, if he wanted to experience what it means to be human, I think marriage/intimate relationships (and possibly parenting) are a large part of that.

What I'm saying is, I don't find the theory of Mary Magdalene offensive and it has no negative impact on my faith.

was God made flesh.. His mission was not to "experience" what being human is, that God already knows... His mission was to fulfill the Mosaic Law and to cleanse man of sin so as to be able to be one again with the Father...
Was Jesus tempted by the flesh? Surely.. But there was no marriage or children..

Forum List

Back