The Crusades: Why are we still fighting them?

I read one time--I wish I could find the source and if I do I will post it--an analysis of the advancement of an Islamic culture on a non-Islamic culture. And according to that author--some expert on the subject--it goes something like this:

--A small minority of Islamic people are invariably quiet, unobtrusive, peaceful, and good neighbors. They may utilize Islamic dress, etc. but more often than not simply do as the Roman do so to speak.

--As a larger minority develops, however, Islamic people may become more reclusive and judgmental of their neighbors. There will be more open and obvious manifestations of their religion and culture including manner of dress, head scarves, etc.

--When a sufficiently large minority has developed, Islamic people begin making requests and demands for accommodation for their culture and religion. They will require time for Islamic prayers--demand that their manner of dress be accommodated--require that there be accommodations for their dietary needs and, as in the case in France and Britain and a few other places, will begin petitioning for Sharia Law to be imposed at least for their own people.

--Finally when Islam has achieved a majority, they will begin removing rights and privileges from non Islamic peoples.

--And when Islam has achieved a sufficient majority, Islamic Law is imposed and all others will be expected to live by it and very limited, if any, accommodation will be given to any non-Muslims in their midst.

I at first questioned this analysis. But when I looked up the histories and development of Islamic nations around the world, I could not find much with which to dispute it. I dont' think the problem is Arabs. I think the problem is Islam.

That's the template of the Koran.

Which Sky and her retarded allies refuse to grasp.

OK you win. Islam is evil and ALL Muslims are terrorists. Let's take Ann Coulter's advice and take over their countries, kill all their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

Happy now?

Last edited:
If that's what we have to do to make the world a safer place, what's wrong with it? You think we should suffer despots?

Do you like the way they treat their women?
Do you like the way they treat blacks in Darfur? They hack them to pieces. They call them slaves.

That's Islam. You like it? You just want to let them ride roughshod over whomever they please?

That's the template of the Koran.

OK you win. Islam is evil and ALL Muslims are terrorists. Let's take Ann Coulter's advice and take over their countries, kill all their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

Happy now?

No, that was never the point here. You keep putting forth that most of the people of Islam are peaceful but have thus far refused to acknowledge the large part that is violent and how that impact the perceptions of the rest of us.

I find plenty to criticize in Islamic societies. What I don't say is that all or most Muslims are to be condemned.

Some. Yes. but not all.

My perspective comes from Buddhism. We look at the causes of hatred and violence which is a sense of us and them. Dualisitc mind that sees things in absolute terms us and them, good and evil, yours and mine. MEMEMEME etc etc.

The challenge for a Buddhist is to look beyond that to the truth of how things really are. Human beings have buddha nature,but it is obscured by ignorance, desire, jealous, pride, and anger. Without criticizing specific tenets of the relgion outwardly, we nonetheless recognize 'wrong view' in some of the world's great religions including Islam. It is considered unskillful to a Buddhist to point out the flaws in someone elses religion. We can talk to individuals about their views, ask questions to clarify and explain our own perspective but the Dalai Lama is not in favor of Buddhists critizing other religions.

We keep turning the job back on ourselves to purify our own poisions of mind and train in wisdom.

Thast why I don't jump on the I hate all of Islam bandwagon. I look at specific ills in Islamic countries and say yes, this is what comes of lviing in a theocracy, with wrong views do and I vow to make sure America doesn't create the same mistakes. I also do my best to get to know some Muslims, I've visited a couple of mosques, one in India and one in the US. I have Sufi friends. They are peaceful and loving. They are good people. That's why I don't get in the Islamophobia tract. It doesn't fit my Buddhist practice.

We look at the roles of friend, enemy and stranger in the light of impermance and ego. We tend to call the people who agree with our view, and who helps us in our goals as friends. We say this person is MY friend becaue she likes ME. Whe may fall out of favor with the friend, and the friend may drop out of our lives and become a stranger or we may tend to think of the person in an enemy category. This person doesn't like Me, or agree with Me, or support My goals this person wants to harm ME. And with the stranger we say this person has nothing to do with ME. It's all MEMEMEME. Ego.

The categories are not solid and change all the time.

The point for a Buddhist then is to keep the mind and heart open regardless of whether we encounter a friend, an enemy or a stranger.

Last edited:
I find plenty to criticize in Islamic societies. What I don't say is that all or most Muslims are to be condemned.

Some. Yes. but not all.

My perspective comes from Buddhism. We look at the causes of hatred and violence which is a sense of us and them. Dualisitc mind that sees things in absolute terms us and them, good and evil, yours and mine. MEMEMEME etc etc.

The challenge for a Buddhist is to look beyond that to the truth of how things really are. Human beings have buddha nature,but it is obscured by ignorance, desire, jealous, pride, and anger. Without criticizing specific tenets of the relgion outwardly, we nonetheless recognize 'wrong view' in some of the world's great religions including Islam.

We keep turning the job back on ourselves to purify our own poisions of mind and train in wisdom.

That why I don't jump on the I hate all of Islam bandwagon. I look at specific ills in Islamic countries and say yes, this is what comes of lviing in a theocracy, and I vow to make sure America doesn't create the same mistakes. I also do my best to get to know some Muslims, to visit a mosque, and I've mentioned that I am fond of the Sufis I know. They are good people.

But isn't Buddhism the religion of rational thought? Enlightenment?

Coming from the perspective of Christianity and Judaism, there is no hatred for Islam either. When the Palestinians behave themselves, they coexist peacefully and amicably with their Jewish neighbors who accept them as friends and neighbors. Certainly there is nothing in Christian doctrine that targets Islam for particular contempt.

But rational people whether they are Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Druids, or Giant Spaghetti Monster disciples should be able to recognize Islam for what it is. And what it is, and has proved consistently to be, is a religion that will and does subjugate all the people it can take power over, requires strict obedience to its tenets, and allows brutal, sometimes deadly, retribution for heresy or for those who disrespect Islam in any way. Women are property and objects to be ordered. Culturally, I believe the treatment of children to be detrimental to their emotional well being. With very few exceptions, wherever Islam has sufficient numbers to take authority, there are few human rights or protected freedoms.

This is not to say that Muslims are not good people, are not good neighbors, are not people of worth. Muslims love, laugh, work, live like all other people. There are few people on Earth who are as pleasant and fun loving as your average Iranian.

But to deny the hold that Islam has over Islamic people, and what that usually means, is simply an unwillingness to accept the truth of the situation. And THAT, for instance, is why Israel must retain a substantial majority of Jews in its tiny country, because once Islam achieves sufficient numbers there, Israel will be no more as a haven and refuge for Jews of the world. And it is THAT which is now causing serious problems for the U.K., France, and other places where Islam is working to achieve a power base. Those countries are actually in danger of losing their unique cultures.

Some. Yes. but not all.

The challenge for a Buddhist is to look beyond that to the truth of how things really are. Human beings have buddha nature,but it is obscured by ignorance, desire, jealous, pride, and anger. Without criticizing specific tenets of the relgion outwardly, we nonetheless recognize 'wrong view' in some of the world's great religions including Islam.

That why I don't jump on the I hate all of Islam bandwagon. I look at specific ills in Islamic countries and say yes, this is what comes of lviing in a theocracy, and I vow to make sure America doesn't create the same mistakes. I also do my best to get to know some Muslims, to visit a mosque, and I've mentioned that I am fond of the Sufis I know. They are good people.

Coming from the perspective of Christianity and Judaism, there is no hatred for Islam either. When the Palestinians behave themselves, they coexist peacefully and amicably with their Jewish neighbors who accept them as friends and neighbors. Certainly there is nothing in Christian doctrine that targets Islam for particular contempt.

But rational people whether they are Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Druids, or Giant Spaghetti Monster disciples should be able to recognize Islam for what it is. And what it is, and has proved consistently to be, is a religion that will and does subjugate all the people it can take power over, requires strict obedience to its tenets, and allows brutal, sometimes deadly, retribution for heresy or for those who disrespect Islam in any way. Women are property and objects to be ordered. Culturally, I believe the treatment of children to be detrimental to their emotional well being. With very few exceptions, wherever Islam has sufficient numbers to take authority, there are few human rights or protected freedoms.

This is not to say that Muslims are not good people, are not good neighbors, are not people of worth. Muslims love, laugh, work, live like all other people. There are few people on Earth who are as pleasant and fun loving as your average Iranian.

But to deny the hold that Islam has over Islamic people, and what that usually means, is simply an unwillingness to accept the truth of the situation. And THAT, for instance, is why Israel must retain a substantial majority of Jews in its tiny country, because once Islam achieves sufficient numbers there, Israel will be no more as a haven and refuge for Jews of the world. And it is THAT which is now causing serious problems for the U.K., France, and other places where Islam is working to achieve a power base. Those countries are actually in danger of losing their unique cultures.

I appreciate your post. Your view is more nuanced than I usuaully see on this topic. You raise some interesting questions. Islam does have an unhealthy hold in some of the least stable countries, like Somalia for instance. Some of the views are distorted, violent, oppressive and harmful.

I have traveled in Asia and I've been uncomforatlbe in Muslim areas. As a woman, seeing the women completely covered or not allowed out in the first place is a very eerie feeling for an American woman. There were places I traveled that were not safe for westerners. And one could feel the unrest in the many politicial demonstrations. Add to that the habit the Hindus have of carrying dead bodies to the river to be burned.

Islam has a lot to answer for and they aren't doing a good job of presenting themselves as moderate in areas where they could. It's complicated.

Anyway I thank you for your post. YOUR POV is refreshing.

Happy now?

No, that was never the point here. You keep putting forth that most of the people of Islam are peaceful but have thus far refused to acknowledge the large part that is violent and how that impact the perceptions of the rest of us.

I'm not saying MOST Muslims are peaceful. I'm saying the number of Muslims engaged in terrorism is relatively small compared to the size of the Muslim population.

There are Muslim countries that practice religious based violence and I'm just as appalled by it as you are.

We read stories every day about Muslim atrocities. What I will say is that we don't understand Islam or the cultures of these countries very well. At least I don't. I don't trust when non-Muslims cherry picked Islami verses and pretend they know how to interpret them. We could start by holding our temper and keeping our minds open. Really investigating. What is going on there and what are the causes and conditions? Some of what we see is tribal violence, and warlord activity and some of it is religioius decree. We have to sort it all out. We can do that by keeping a cool head and looking at the facts.

Last edited:

Some. Yes. but not all.

I appreciate your post. Your view is more nuanced than I usuaully see on this topic. You raise some interesting questions. Islam does have an unhealthy hold in some of the least stable countries, like Somalia for instance. Some of the views are distorted, violent, oppressive and harmful.

I have traveled in Asia and I've been uncomforatlbe in Muslim areas. As a woman, seeing the women completely covered or not allowed out in the first place is a very eerie feeling for an American woman. There were places I traveled that were not safe for westerners. And one could feel the unrest in the many politicial demonstrations. Add to that the habit the Hindus have of carrying dead bodies to the river to be burned.

Islam has a lot to answer for and they aren't doing a good job of presenting themselves as moderate in areas where they could. It's complicated.

And thank you for yours. It is complicated, but while there is much to say for minding our own business and adopting a live and let live philosophy in most things, we can't turn off our brains and, in the name of tolerance, pretend we don't see. Nor should we in the name of peace and acceptance approve of a system that harms people just because we don't want to call a duck a duck. And we absolutely should not allow some misguided sense of tolerance put our own freedoms and way of life at risk by embracing too closely those who would take those from us.

And thank you for yours. It is complicated, but while there is much to say for minding our own business and adopting a live and let live philosophy in most things, we can't turn off our brains and, in the name of tolerance, pretend we don't see. Nor should we in the name of peace and acceptance approve of a system that harms people just because we don't want to call a duck a duck. And we absolutely should not allow some misguided sense of tolerance put our own freedoms and way of life at risk by embracing too closely those who would take those from us.

I completely agree. It's challenging for me to have some of these discussions because of my Buddhist vows. There is a conflict there.

"Aware of suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to the suffering of others, I vow to cultivate loving speech and deep listening in order to bring joy and happiness to others and relieve others of their suffering. Knowing that words can create happiness or bring suffering, I vow to learn to speak truthfully, with words that can inspire self confidence, joy and hope. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain, and not to criticize or condemn things I am not sure of . I will refrain from uttering words that can cause division or discord, or that can cause the family or the community to break. I willmake every effort to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, even small." You may imagine that I fail daily and have to make a new beginning each day.

Add to that we have few Muslims to actually talk to in these threads. I don't understand Islam. I am not a scholar of the Muslim religion. Sometimes when Christians talk about their teachings I can join in because I was raised Roman Catholic before becoming a Buddhist 30 years ago. I have some knowledge first hand of Christianity.

But my only knowledge of Islam is Sufism--the mystical part of Islam--Rumi poets and Sufi people who have had positive influence on me in my life. I can say from experience not all Muslims are violent and evil. I've known peaceful and good ones. I've visited Mosque and been shown every courtesy.

Last edited:

I completely agree. It's challenging for me to have some of these discussions because of my Buddhist vows.

Add to that we have few Muslims to actually talk to in these threads. I don't understand Islam. I am not a scholar of the Muslim religion. Sometimes when Christians talk about their teachings I can join in because I was raised Roman Catholic before becoming a Buddhist 30 years ago. I have some knowledge first hand of Christianity.

But my only knowledge of Islam is Sufism--the mystical part of Islam--Rumi poets and Sufi people who have had positive influence on me in my life. I can say from experience not all Muslims are violent and evil. I've known peaceful and good ones. i've visited Mosque and been shown every courtesty.

Yes, our Muslim neighbors are great. I have no problem with the people. But as a student of history, I have a huge problem with the religion and cannot find a whole lot to commend in it as it is in these modern times. Originally Islam was enlightened and much more tolerant than it is now. It embraced Hellenism, the classical age, and contributed much to the advancement of humankind during that golden age of Islam. But once fundamentalism crept in and began stifling creativity, independent thought, and appreciation for freedom, Islam turned inward on itself and fell behind. Had it not done so, I think Islam would have conquered the world. Of course they haven't given up on that.

Christianity did much the same during the darkest period of the Roman Catholic reign and some of the more rigid and intolerant periods of Protestanism, but Christianity eventually woke up and mostly pulled out of its fundamentalist stagnation--and the faith that emerged, both Protestant and Roman Catholic, has produced amazing advancements and has done and continues to do much good in the world.

The difference between religions like Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, etc., and Islam today is that all but Islam trust in intellectual persuasion or attraction to take in new adherents and do not presume to force their beliefs on anybody.

Islam, in contrast, will use any means necessary--Jihad, the legal system, military, government or whatever means at their disposal--to establish Islam as the law of the land and force everybody to obey it on the pain of punishment, torture, imprisonment, or death.

Show me where I said all Muslims are tolerant. They aren't. I said they are not all terrorists.

What's it take to get through to you.

Sure I've heard of these regimes. The atheist Chinese government committed genocide on Tibetan Buddhists and desecrated 3000 monasteries.

That doesn't mean I would hold all Chinese people responsible for the misdeeds of their government.

I'm saying that most Muslims are not engaged in violence of any kind and are simply living their lives like the rest of us.

same goes for Christians----give up your Buddhist Crusade.

I agree. Most Christians are peaceful.
No they're lunatics with delusions of being superior.
The military is slap full of the fucking nutjobs.

same goes for Christians----give up your Buddhist Crusade.

I think we all get in trouble when we talk about MOST, it's a sample group that can't be defined. Safer to same Christians are like this and some are not. Same with Muslims, or Buddhists.

I know I'm the worst example of a Buddhist out there.

I find it amusing how seriously you people generalize about what Islam or Chistendom -- both of which are worldwide religions, each with about billion of followers, and both with enormous sectarian and theologicaly differences within them.

And many of you here are so steeped in misformation it'd laughable except you apparently also vote based on these simplictic notions you have, too.

Do you believe this claptrap you're posting, are ya'll just making it up on the spot to drive home your goofy points, or what?

I think we all get in trouble when we talk about MOST, it's a sample group that can't be defined. Safer to same Christians are like this and some are not. Same with Muslims, or Buddhists.

I doubt that very much Sky Dancer. And I have NEVER known a Buddhist who would describe anybody as Douger just did. And I have never known a Buddhist who was unable to recognize nuances, who intentionally misrepresented another person's point of view, or who was unable to think and express himself or herself coherently or was unable to articulate a rationale for the opinion s/he holds.

I can't reject my relationship with the living God because it is simply too real to rationally reject. Otherwise, I would be a Buddhist. :)

I doubt that very much Sky Dancer. And I have NEVER known a Buddhist who would describe anybody as Douger just did. And I have never known a Buddhist who was unable to recognize nuances, who intentionally misrepresented another person's point of view, or who was unable to think and express himself or herself coherently or was unable to articulate a rationale for the opinion s/he holds.

I can't reject my relationship with the living God because it is simply too real to rationally reject. Otherwise, I would be a Buddhist. :)

And yet according to her because I recognize a threat I am a hater and am violent.

And yet according to her because I recognize a threat I am a hater and am violent.

Oh perhaps, but you are dealing with a Buddhist here who actually does think things through and seems to understand the underlying nuances. Because of the way he expressed his opinion, I probably hold a different impression of Douger than I would had he explained where he was coming from with his comments.

Happy now?

I say most of the 1.5 billion Muslims are not terrorists. It'a true statement. That doesn't mean that the vocal violent contingent isn't a threat. They are.

Forum List

Back