CDZ The Confederate (Rebel) Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm. I grew up on military bases. I've lived in 16 different cities in 4 countries in my 50 years. But....none of that is needed to grasp the intent of the rebel flag.

Hmmmm... I suspect there's a visceral difference of experience between on one hand being in a place on a military base and on the other hand hanging there with one's family.

Please trust me when I tell you that I've seen everything I need to see to have developed my opinion on this subject. If you have family members who treat that flag with reverence, I'll remind you of a well known quote.

"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept."

I don't know what that means :dunno:

I didn't say they treat it with "reverence" -- our family's not a reverent or fetishistic bunch; I never saw any of us treat any flag with reverence. They just had some around -- as a decoration that declares one's roots. No different from growing up as the only kids in the neighborhood (in the North) who ate grits.

You gotta realize a symbol like a flag isn't monolithic in what it means to different people.

Obviously it means different things to different people. The American flag carries a very negative image in many parts of the world. That ISIS flag means religious liberty to some.

Here's the point. The only point that matters when it comes to the rebel flag. It is.....for a large portion of this nation's populace.....a symbol of hatred and division. It is.....for all intents and purposes.....the banner of a former enemy of the United States of America. The entity / nation it once represented no longer exists. It has no place in the public square. Zero.

I personally don't think any flag has a place in the public square, partially for reasons related to the above. However, my point is you still can't declare what somebody's symbol means to them. Your first sentence in fact concedes that, and in that it's correct.

And I'd even beg to differ that the entity/nation it once represented no longer exists. Because culturally, in many corners outside the urban areas .... it does. It's reflected in lifestyles, language, food and drink, music... all the aspects that make up culture. And the S&B is part of that in the same way the Pilgrim icon is a symbol of Massachusetts or the magnolia invokes Mississippi.

Can the image be used as to hail and foment division, racism and hate? Sure it can, and it is. But that doesn't mean that is always the intent. We well know the Stars and Stripes is selectively used the same way. But to conclude that therefore that's what the American Flag means, period, is a bit like some wag on this board declaring "you just used an Alinsky tactic, therefore you're an Alinsky disciple", even if you've never heard of Alinsky.

Just saying, to the extent its display represents "speech" -- it must be treated as such, if we are to be true to our principles.

Let's go round and round. You can have it...you can fly it....you can pray to it if you want. But it doesn't belong in or on any official property in this nation...except in a historical archive. In time....it won't be. Just another generation or two.

Which would be worse to fly at Arlington Cemetery, the NAZI flag or the Confederate Flag?

Hmmmm. I grew up on military bases. I've lived in 16 different cities in 4 countries in my 50 years. But....none of that is needed to grasp the intent of the rebel flag.

Hmmmm... I suspect there's a visceral difference of experience between on one hand being in a place on a military base and on the other hand hanging there with one's family.

Please trust me when I tell you that I've seen everything I need to see to have developed my opinion on this subject. If you have family members who treat that flag with reverence, I'll remind you of a well known quote.

I didn't say they treat it with "reverence" -- our family's not a reverent or fetishistic bunch; I never saw any of us treat any flag with reverence. They just had some around -- as a decoration that declares one's roots. No different from growing up as the only kids in the neighborhood (in the North) who ate grits.

You gotta realize a symbol like a flag isn't monolithic in what it means to different people.

Obviously it means different things to different people. The American flag carries a very negative image in many parts of the world. That ISIS flag means religious liberty to some.

Here's the point. The only point that matters when it comes to the rebel flag. It is.....for a large portion of this nation's populace.....a symbol of hatred and division. It is.....for all intents and purposes.....the banner of a former enemy of the United States of America. The entity / nation it once represented no longer exists. It has no place in the public square. Zero.
I really can't help or much give a shit, what you feel. If you want to be offended by a piece of cloth, that's on you.
Two bucks will buy you a beer at my bar, your attitude might also buy you an ass kicking.

I'm not offended. I'm simply an American patriot. And....I would love to meet you at your bar. Address, please.

I really can't help or much give a shit, what you feel. If you want to be offended by a piece of cloth, that's on you.
Two bucks will buy you a beer at my bar, your attitude might also buy you an ass kicking.

I'm not offended. I'm simply an American patriot. And....I would love to meet you at your bar. Address, please.
Doc Holliday s - Night Club Bar Facebook

Doc Holliday s - Night Club Bar Facebook

Awesome.

Perhaps I will. There will be a lot of people deciding they would rather not talk to you. The site has a way of making you go away from my screen. I'm about to utilize it.

Thread has gone it's course and at this point there are numerous CDZ violations. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back