CDZ The Confederate (Rebel) Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive because it represents human slavery.

What if a 20 year old has one in his truck, mailbox etc. but has it because to him, it is just pride of being from the South? To me, it's the intent with which it is displayed. No?

b1862-confederate-flag-cartoon.gif

Intent cannot eliminate historical connection.

Personal feeling never can eliminate objective relationship.

If it's that cut and dry, why are there not laws against flying it?

I don't find it "offensive" in itself. I'm just not into flag fetishism, so I don't attribute symbolism to them. And if I did, settling on "slavery" as a symbolism would be a fatal oversimplification.

It does give me pause about the person displaying it, but the mere sight of stars & bars doesn't tell me enough to reach a conclusion about them.

I think most people (present time) fly it because they are proud of the South and/or to be Southerners (ironically, labeled as backward and rednecks - even in present time)

Slavery is such a thing of the past - I don't think people even think about that (except, obviously, those affected by it) I can imagine there is a "sting" for those who remember a more unpleasant time, which was not that long ago in our history.

What if a 20 year old has one in his truck, mailbox etc. but has it because to him, it is just pride of being from the South? To me, it's the intent with which it is displayed. No?

Exactly. You can't dictate what somebody else's symbol means to them.

My mother had a few, and she was as far from a racist as there ever was. She didn't put them on the lawn or in public but I think they simply reminded her of her childhood and Home, where she grew up in Mississippi and left to get married and raise the family in the North.

Let's face it, North and South are different cultures, and that difference was more pronounced when we came up in the '40s and '50s than it is today. Anything like that which relates to the world of that culture is going to find an emotional attachment as a cultural symbol.

During the Civil Rights era the flag was ressurected as a symbol to keep blacks in their place

A 20 year old with a Southern Cross on their truck is either totally ignorant of what it represents, or is blatantly racist.

Anyone from the South who has true heritage pride would have known what the REAL Confederate flag is.

Offensive or not?

Why?
The confederate flag (stars and bars) not so much....the rectangular Southern Cross which really came out as a symbol of post-war Jim Crow, very much so.

Most main stream won't differentiate
Yeah, I know....and it shows their ignorance...just like the ignorance of those who fly the Southern Cross and go blah blah blah about their "heritage"....not even knowing what the correct flag is.

Could you explain the logical reasoning that you used to come to that ridiculous conclusion?
What is ridiculous about his comment? The Confederacy was created specifically to protect their "property" from a perceived threat from the new federal administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back