The Case Against free speech: we need to combat fascism, my friends

"Yes. We do all have freedom of speech but at times there are ramifications for the negative that can happen when you're not thinking about others and you're only thinking about yourself!" - Cartman from South Park

would anyone seriously say that Eisonhower would have allowed the American Nazi Party to protest America's involvement in WWII?

Of course there should be restrictions on speech, my friends!
American Nazis in the 1930s—The German American Bund. On February 20, 1939, the Bund held an “Americanization” rally in New York’s Madison Square Garden, denouncing Jewish conspiracies, President Roosevelt, and others. The rally, attended by 20,000 supporters and members, was protested by huge crowds of anti-Nazis,...
American Nazis in the 1930s—The German American Bund
www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/06/american-nazis-in-the-1930sthe-german-american-bund/52…
Joe Kennedy (JFK's dad) was a firm believer in the Nazi party.

Trump is like a kid with a machine gun in the way he uses twitter. his twitter should be taken away, my friends

free speech is only for those who agree with me! why? BECAUSE I AM GOD!

"Our college campuses have essentially turned into indoctrination camps, where students of different ideologies apart from the Left are censored, punished and chastised for their views.
Campuses should promote all ideas, and allow discussion without censorship or suppression." - Rowdy Ryan Fournier

i disagree 100%

"Bloomberg openly dismisses the idea of a free press when he says he expects his reporters at Bloomberg News to never cover him critically. Imagine that attitude in the Oval Office in the hands of someone who has already displayed ample willingness to use the powers of the government to squash individual liberties. Bloomberg’s contempt for press freedom led even a Washington Post writer to decry his “disturbing attitude toward the First Amendment — and democracy generally.”"

if you wanted to sell weapons to the Nazis during WW2, that's not freedom of speech, that's a threat to America's existence and national security, my friends!

if you wanted to sell weapons to the Nazis during WW2, that's not freedom of speech, that's a threat to America's existence and national security, my friends!

Sadly we have been arming those who use those arms against our soldiers for years and no one says a word.

"free speech is all speech. you are either for all of it or you are for none of it" - Sassy Rob Schneider

Those who hate truth and democracy use censorship.

Anyone who likes truth and democracy is against censorship.

FASCISTS use CENSORSHIP.

They aren't fighting fascism, they ARE FASCISM....
WHAT PART OF THE FIRST AMENDMENT DOES THE LEFT NOT GET: Censorship.

The Supreme Court has held, rightly, that expression is a form of speech. The Court has also held there can be reasonable restrictions on that freedom such as libel laws, and the old “you can’t yell fire in a crowded theater.”

As a practical matter you do in fact have the right to libel or slander anyone you want. With the freedom comes responsibility. Yes, you have the right in this country to say pretty much anything you want — you’re just responsible for the aftermath. So, for instance, should you yell fire in a crowded theater, and in the resulting stampede someone is killed, you are guilty of manslaughter and will be prosecuted.

Or if you’re disrupting a funeral by shouting “thank God for dead soldiers,” don’t be surprised if someone either dots your eye or breaks your nose for you. Likewise don’t be horribly shocked if either the local prosecutor declines to press charges or the jury declines to convict.

Actions have consequences and so does speech.

We tire of folks trying to shut down speech they don’t agree with. The left tries to use government power to shut down debate. The idea is to stifle any form of speech with which they do not agree and which might cause people to think differently than them.

And this is the crux of the matter, in a free society we have the right to say things others don’t like. We even have the right to shout it, scream it, write it, film it whatever.

The character of Steven Hopkins in the movie 1776 had it right:

“Well, in all my years I ain’t never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn’t be talked about. Hell yeah! I’m for debating anything.”​

So should we all be.

free speech gives too much voice to minorities. that's undemocratic, my friends!

War is Peace....Freedom is Slavery, Slavery is Freedom, Free Speech isn't Free..........

Got all the talking points down, don't you?

War is Peace....Freedom is Slavery, Slavery is Freedom, Free Speech isn't Free..........

Got all the talking points down, don't you?
TALKING POINTS?

i give my life to the cause, brah! aint no talkin points!

this is how we end racism and inequality

free speech is a hollow signifier, a guise for the wealthy and powerful to oppress the poor.

Free speech oppresses no one ever.

the charlottesville neonazi rally was originally billed as "Unite The Right For Free Speech Rally"

So what. People are free in this country to make complete asses of themselves. What you are not allowed to do is physically attack them for doing so.

Forum List

Back