The Bible, the only way to heaven

Microletters on the Lapis Venetus

Dr. E. Jerry Vardaman also offers archaeological evidence in support of the conclusion that the 12 B.C. census was the census of Luke 2:2. A census is mentioned on an ancient tombstone called “Lapis Venetus” (stone of Venice). The tombstone was for a Roman officer who, under orders from Quirinius, made a census of Apamea, a city in Syria. Vardaman uses microletters on the tombstone to date the tombstone itself to 10 B.C. Microletters on the tombstone also state that the census of Apamea took place in the year that Quirinius was a Roman consul:
LA CONS P.S.QVIRINI

This text reads as: “year one of the consulship of P.S. Quirini.”

The letter ‘L’ is the abbreviation for ‘year,’ the letter ‘A’ stands for the number one. Letters were used in ancient Greek and Latin to stand for numbers. In the Greek number system, the first letter represented the number 1, the second letter represented 2, etc. The abbreviation “CONS” stands for “consul” or “consulship.” And “P.S.QVIRINI” is the Quirinius mentioned in Luke 2:2. He is also mentioned by Josephus and by Dio, both of whom state that Quirinius was a Roman consul.
The Census of Quirinius and the Lapis Venetus

P.S.: Do you know how tired the comparison to the Iliad is?

Do you know how much of a fuck I give? What's more tired is asinine assertions that the Bible is an accurate record of history - assertions that have been proved false again, and again, and again. Once again, why is it so important to you that the Bible is historically accurate? It clearly wasn't of great importance to its authors.

Once again. It doesn't present itself as a holy text. So the question is idiotic. Unless you're aware of some Iliadians out there whose bible is the Iliad?

Once again. It doesn't present itself as a holy text. So the question is idiotic. Unless you're aware of some Iliadians out there whose bible is the Iliad?
Why does it matter? Does bullshit become true when somebody writes God's name on it?

Well unless I'm mistaken, nobody died to fulfill the prophesies of the Iliad.

Besides which, the primary difference is the Holy Spirit dwells in the Bible. Not in the Iliad.

But if you want to pretend it does, go right ahead.

Well unless I'm mistaken, nobody died to fulfill the prophesies of the Iliad.
You're mistaken. The prophecies of Cassandra and Helenus were fulfilled.

Besides which, the primary difference is the Holy Spirit dwells in the Bible. Not in the Iliad.
How do you qualify that?

I say it dwells in the Iliad and not in the Bible. Prove me wrong. If you want to pretend that the Bible is correct when you should be worshiping Zeus, you'll suffer in Hades for all eternity. I just know that you will. I have faith that you will.

Does the Iliad claim it does?
No, it doesn't.

You'd worship Zeus if it claimed that it did? Again, what difference does that make? Am I to take seriously any person or writing that claims to have been influenced by the holy spirit?

"The Bible was influenced by the holy spirit because it says it was influenced by the holy spirit" is not an argument.

No, I wouldn't. But it doesn't matter, since nobody except for you, in your idiotic tantrum, even asserts such a ridiculous thing.

And back to square one.

Because they did take place. As has been proven. But it was a diverting sidetrail (not).

And back to square one.

Because they did take place.
"The stories of the Bible took place because they took place" is not an argument. My assertions are correct because they're correct.

As has been proven.
You've offered evidence of Israelite architecture in Egypt and a handful of archaeological finds that seem to be consistent with certain Biblical accounts. You have not offered evidence of any supernatural events taking place. Why do you believe that they took place?

I offered similar evidence attesting to the historical accuracy of certain parts of the Iliad. Why do you not believe that the supernatural events described in the Iliad took place?

As I have said repeatedly. There comes a point where there's no more arguing about it. Nothing in the bible has ever been proven fallacious. But if it was easy to believe, there would be no value in it.

And there does come a point where you either decide to accept it, or not.

I can't make you believe, and I'm not interested in trying. Heaven forbid I should "force" Christianity down your throat. You people piss and moan that we are continually "forcing" our faith down your throat...but you post bait threads and go after Christians with guns blazing, demanding that they PROVE to you that God exists, and then laughing at them or worse when they tell you it's a matter of faith.

I said the bible is historically accurate, and I proved it. The rest is about faith. The whole red herring of the Iliad is just that...a rather tired and trite one at that.

As I have said repeatedly. There comes a point where there's no more arguing about it.

Nothing in the bible has ever been proven fallacious.
Water does not change into wine. The blind, the deaf, and lepers are not healed supernaturally. None of this magic spells occur outside of the Bible, yet you believe that they happened.

But if it was easy to believe, there would be no value in it.
Why? Why is the blind acceptance of scientifically and historically inaccurate accounts a good thing? Why is judging those who prefer not to do so a good thing?

And there does come a point where you either decide to accept it, or not.
You've yet to give a reason why the Bible's accounts of magic and supernatural power are more believable than those in any other book.

I can't make you believe, and I'm not interested in trying. Heaven forbid I should "force" Christianity down your throat. You people piss and moan that we are continually "forcing" our faith down your throat...
Strawman.

but you post bait threads and go after Christians with guns blazing, demanding that they PROVE to you that God exists, and then laughing at them or worse when they tell you it's a matter of faith.
I believe in a God because I can demonstrate the necessity of one's existence through plausible and sound logical arguments. I don't have "faith" and believe in something because I'm told to by thousand-year-old stories. Faith is irrational and unnecessary. Religious beliefs should be rooted in logic. Otherwise, you'll end up interpreting allegorical myths literally.

I said the bible is historically accurate, and I proved it.
No, you didn't. You offered evidence suggesting that certain descriptions of locations in the Bible were probably at least somewhat accurate. That was never disputed. You have yet to prove that the earth was created in 7 days, 6,000 years ago. How about Jonah living inside of a fish for three days? A man fitting every type of animal on a boat and surviving a flood that covered the entire world? You'd never believe any of these ridiculous things if you didn't choose to take the Bible literally for some unexplainable reason, because you know that they're impossible and that belief in them is illogical.

The rest is about faith. The whole red herring of the Iliad is just that...a rather tired and trite one at that.
You choose to believe the hocus-pocus bullshit in one book and not in the other. You made weak attempts to rationalize this by pointing out that one claims to be divinely inspired... as if that matters. Your religious beliefs are hypocritical and illogical.

Does the Iliad claim it does?
No, it doesn't.

You'd worship Zeus if it claimed that it did? Again, what difference does that make? Am I to take seriously any person or writing that claims to have been influenced by the holy spirit?

"The Bible was influenced by the holy spirit because it says it was influenced by the holy spirit" is not an argument.

It's what passes for logic among the logic-liberated, Kalam.

Lacking true faith, they are seeking to find evidence to augment their doubts.

If your point here is to prove that the people making these claims cannot do so logically, save your ASCII.

Their circular thinking disease is impenetrable by facts or logic.

Shogun, you're THE most hysterical poster on this board.

and yet I manage too keep from using the state to force my beliefs down your throat. Imagine that.

check mate, baba.

As if voting for Prop 8 would be the Christian thing to do. Why should Christians have the beliefs of immoral sodomites shoved down their throats?

Shogun, you're THE most hysterical poster on this board.

and yet I manage too keep from using the state to force my beliefs down your throat. Imagine that.

check mate, baba.

As if voting for Prop 8 would be the Christian thing to do. Why should Christians have the beliefs of immoral sodomites shoved down their throats?

Already addressed, it's wrong that you see it as such, it's no more valid than saying Christmas is shoving christianity down our throats ...

Forum List

Back