Thank you @usmbtech

For quickly fixing the issue with all the cancerous ads. The site is running smooth again and i'm not getting bombarded with the same bs ads over and over again

Salute!
Yes, I agree-ish. As sites cost money to host, I can see why ad income helps if donations aren't sufficient. But we kinda experienced a spectrum of no ads to three quarters of the screen taking up with ads. If an ad banner appeared somewhere that didn't take up much room but brought in sufficient revenue, I can live with that, if it means keeping the forum going

usmbtech

The ads are what killed the quality of forums across the internet.
The only thing that matters to site owners are page counts. PERIOD.
This has had a severe effect on the quality of moderation.
Site owners could care less about bad moderators, care less... as long as page counts keep coming, which is how they get ad revenue.
Before, all forums were privately ran. By an individual who started the site from ground up. They would not put up with lousy mods. They fired them.
I should know. I was an admin for 8 years at USMB. I fired at least a dozen in that time frame. Because we cared. There was no ad revenue then. The only revenue was subscriptions and donations. So member experience was what mattered most.

I did not notice the lack of ads this morning until I read this OP.

I miss the ads because:

1. I realize ads help pay for this website, which allows us a place to blow off steam.
2. Some ads are interesting and may be helpful to members (and guests).

Interesting... something is afoot.
I came here using Microsoft Edge to see the site without adblockers, and tons of ads.
But I logged in, and all the ads went away. Obviously this is not supposed to happen.
Me thinks, someone pushed the wrong radio button in the software somewhere.

Forum List

Back