Texas Threatens Jail for International Election Observers

by Owen

You have to love Texas sometimes.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott further fueled the controversy on Tuesday when he sent a letter to the OSCE warning the organization that its representatives “are not authorized by Texas law to enter a polling place” and that it “may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance.”

{extended} Texas sparks international row with election observers - The Hill's Global Affairs

There is also another state - can't remember which - that is threatening the same! :clap2:

What is the Texas AG afraid of, what is he hiding?

Reminds me of all those Texicans supporting the origional Patriot Act.
Why worry about it unless you have something to hide...

You getting ready to go jogging or something.... ? With all that stretching and such.

Someone quote me the statute to support AG Abbott's opinion, please, because any officer who arrests such a passive observer will be subject to charges of official intimidation.

by Owen

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott further fueled the controversy on Tuesday when he sent a letter to the OSCE warning the organization that its representatives “are not authorized by Texas law to enter a polling place” and that it “may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance.”

{extended} Texas sparks international row with election observers - The Hill's Global Affairs

There is also another state - can't remember which - that is threatening the same! :clap2:

It's in the Texas Elections Code, feel free to look it up.

You seem to have a "vested interest", Ernie. What is it?
We have everything to worry about when we allow out elections to be "monitored" by an organization with a vested interest in the outcome.

How about in stead of the UN, we hire the TEA Party to monitor our elections?

Fair election, Jake. unfettered by foreign influence. You seem to be vested in an obama win, despite your bullshit to the contrary.

:rolleyes:

foreign influence

please, it's an observer, not a panzer division

If one has to explain to you why our country should not have one of its greatest freedoms, voting in a free election, observed by people from 3rd world oppressed countries....well you know...there is no hope and changy thing.

If you think elections in the US shouldn't be observed by impartial observers, you have a very uninformed view of American elections.

Not the point, we have laws for a reason, Saint Hillary said they would obey them.

You seem to have a "vested interest", Ernie. What is it?

Fair election, Jake. unfettered by foreign influence. You seem to be vested in an obama win, despite your bullshit to the contrary.

:rolleyes:

foreign influence

please, it's an observer, not a panzer division

The pen is mightier than the sword.

All they have to do and will do should Obiewan lose the election is write a few comments in their reports about how conservatives "stole the election" and it will fan the flames of discontent.

And good lord, just think of all TDM's posts about how the Republicans stole the election! God help us.

Immie

What is the Texas AG afraid of, what is he hiding?

His job is to enforce the law. They can do anything they want, as long as they don't break the law. Believe it or not, in this country, breaking the law gets you thrown in jail. In this country, it is illegal for any group to be withing 100 feet of a polling place, including candidates and political parties.

The UN's desire to "watch" American voting is transparently manipulative.

But such "groups" are indeed NOT granted permission to unilaterally violate our laws.

It really is time to re-think the American participation in the UN. The SOLE justification I can see for it at this point is the veto in the Security Council.

Even for the veto, it's not worth the cost. If we pulled out they would close up shop, the US provides about 30% of their operations cost.

by Owen

As usual, the right has only itself to blame:

[Catherine] Engelbreacht is founder and president of True the Vote, a conservative voter-vigilante group that deploys “poll-watchers” in heavily Democratic voting districts to conduct “election integrity” operations. The group has caught the attention of Congress for it’s likely criminal voter suppression tactics, so it’s no surprise the idea of election monitors would upset Engelbreacht.

U.N. Observers Sent To Prevent Voter Suppression in U.S. Elections | Care2 Causes

Perhaps if conservative voter-vigilante groups had allowed Americans to cast their votes in peace, civil rights organizations wouldn’t feel the need to request elections observers.

As we say in spanish "que mala onda"...are we so afraid that our system might be broken? Do we truly believe that we are so easily purchased?

The USA has much bigger problems than previously realized if voting observers threaten our existence.

We are the Oldest Democracy on Earth. We do not need an Organization populated by Despotic Dictators, Islamic Theocracies, and Monarchies coming to observe our voting process.

Perhaps our oldest democracy relative to world history has reached adolescence. Might be growing pains or hormones but the fact is what worked yesterday no longer works today.

To alter our course is not an indication that we were once wrong it is merely an aspect of growth.

Nobody here wants to abandon our core foundation. It has become evident, however, that our approach to preservation requires tweaking.

To me, voting observation is a benign step toward growth and preservation.

if they don't know anything, how can they be anything but impartial?

all y'all get outraged about the strangest things.

Outraged? Hmmmm I am discussing a topic. I do that a lot here. I never ever feel an emotion like "outrage" when I do.

I may be amused, interested, against, for, or perhaps even saddened but I can assure you Kiki that nothing that is posted here will every bring an emotion as strong as "outrage" to my being. lol

i'm not kiki.

do you consider germany to be third world country?

they've been doing this since 2002.

clearly, it's the end of the world as we know it.

That's one country in the group, who's the other 55? There's not 55 first world countries in the world, are there? What do you bet you have to show an ID to vote in Germany, they are only wanting to observe states that have passed voter ID laws. In fact I'll bet all 56 of the countries in the group require voter ID.

Perhaps our oldest democracy relative to world history has reached adolescence. Might be growing pains or hormones but the fact is what worked yesterday no longer works today.

To alter our course is not an indication that we were once wrong it is merely an aspect of growth.

Nobody here wants to abandon our core foundation. It has become evident, however, that our approach to preservation requires tweaking.

Please explain why what worked yesterday no longer works.

As we say in spanish "que mala onda"...are we so afraid that our system might be broken? Do we truly believe that we are so easily purchased?

The USA has much bigger problems than previously realized if voting observers threaten our existence.

What's wrong with it, it happens to be against the law. That's enough.

Who says it threatens our existence drama queen? It's just insulting and frankly Laughable that the UN thinks we need their Observers to have free, fair elections. We wrote the book on fucking Free, Fair Elections. So unless they are coming here to take notes to teach many of their members how it's done, I don't see the fucking point.

Would that be like giving a former pedophile a teaching job as just another step to his redemption? And yes there are people who want to abandon our core foundation, Maobama called it fundemantal transformation.

Who says it threatens our existence drama queen? It's just insulting and frankly Laughable that the UN thinks we need their Observers to have free, fair elections. We wrote the book on fucking Free, Fair Elections. So unless they are coming here to take notes to teach many of their members how it's done, I don't see the fucking point.

blah blah
woof woof

what are you afraid of, chuck?

Would that be like giving a former pedophile a teaching job as just another step to his redemption? And yes there are people who want to abandon our core foundation, Maobama called it fundemantal transformation.

no it would be nothing like that.

are you retarded or something?

blah blah
woof woof

what are you afraid of, chuck?

You don't even actually listen to what people say do you?

Forum List

Back