Texas Threatens Jail for International Election Observers

What is the Texas AG afraid of, what is he hiding?

If one has to explain to you why our country should not have one of its greatest freedoms,voting in a free election, observed by people from 3rd world oppressed countries....well you know...there is no hope and changy thing.

I agree, voting is a great freedom. But tell me, how would international observers restrict anyone's vote?

Better question, how would them not being there restrict anyone's right to vote?

We need purple finger Baghdad polling places and the only people using absentee ballots are US military personnel stationed overseas.

It sounds like Texas is too ashamed to let observers see how they suppress minority voters. Nothing new here.

You think El Paso might suppress the white vote? I have never seen any evidence of that, what makes you think the Hispanic majority there is going to make it hard for whites to vote?

by Owen

You have to love Texas sometimes.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott further fueled the controversy on Tuesday when he sent a letter to the OSCE warning the organization that its representatives “are not authorized by Texas law to enter a polling place” and that it “may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance.”

{extended} Texas sparks international row with election observers - The Hill's Global Affairs

There is also another state - can't remember which - that is threatening the same! :clap2:

Outsider influence of a lawful election. We in Texas do not need the UN trying to tamper with our elections. I for one would be greatly disappointed if the UN was allowed to violate state election laws. It would be a great feeling and honor to throw one of those outsiders in jail.

If one has to explain to you why our country should not have one of its greatest freedoms, voting in a free election, observed by people from 3rd world oppressed countries....well you know...there is no hope and changy thing.

If you think elections in the US shouldn't be observed by impartial observers, you have a very uninformed view of American elections.

Impartial, people from dictatorships and one party rule countries are not impartial.

Someone quote me the statute to support AG Abbott's opinion, please, because any officer who arrests such a passive observer will be subject to charges of official intimidation.

by Owen

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott further fueled the controversy on Tuesday when he sent a letter to the OSCE warning the organization that its representatives “are not authorized by Texas law to enter a polling place” and that it “may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance.”

{extended} Texas sparks international row with election observers - The Hill's Global Affairs

There is also another state - can't remember which - that is threatening the same! :clap2:

CHAPTER 33. WATCHERS :: Texas Election Code :: 2005 Texas Code :: Texas Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

That's pretty clear. A designated watcher in TX has to be a registered voter in the county where the voting takes place. Unless the UN can scrounge up some Texans to represent them, the plot to inflict foreign observers on the Texas electorate is null and void.

And we know the watchers will not be registered Texan voters because .. . . . ?
Someone quote me the statute to support AG Abbott's opinion, please, because any officer who arrests such a passive observer will be subject to charges of official intimidation.

CHAPTER 33. WATCHERS :: Texas Election Code :: 2005 Texas Code :: Texas Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

That's pretty clear. A designated watcher in TX has to be a registered voter in the county where the voting takes place. Unless the UN can scrounge up some Texans to represent them, the plot to inflict foreign observers on the Texas electorate is null and void.

Give the man a cigar. Good read.

UN law does not outweight our sovereignity at all. But why should we be worried if we have nothing to worry about? Just put the GOP/Dem authorized Texas watchers watching the UN registered voter/watchers.

One, what are you worried about?

TWo, apparently some Americans are concerned about voting irregularities. Were not you complaining about NBPP intimidation?

Three, if the USA is a signatory to a UN Treaty about such matter, federal law overrules state law in this matter.

UN law does not outweight our sovereignity at all. But why should we be worried if we have nothing to worry about? Just put the GOP/Dem authorized Texas watchers watching the UN registered voter/watchers.

It sets an abysmal precedent. Have you ever heard about the proverbial camel's nose? They are not needed, they are not wanted by Americans.

This is a gross overreaction to these observers. This is not a big deal.

The UN should have no part of our elections and by sending in so called monitors requested by no surprise...

Liberal-leaning civil rights groups met with representatives from the OSCE this week to raise their fears about what they say are systematic efforts to suppress minority voters likely to vote for President Obama.

The monitors have absolutely no power to do anything. They are observing, plain and simple. We send observers to other countries all the time.

If one has to explain to you why our country should not have one of its greatest freedoms,voting in a free election, observed by people from 3rd world oppressed countries....well you know...there is no hope and changy thing.

I agree, voting is a great freedom. But tell me, how would international observers restrict anyone's vote?
It's an insult to American sovergnity.

Also they have been coordinating with American left wing groups and are not impartial.

by Owen

I am only guessing but I would think they will probably try and Argue they are not Passive, or Impartial, and their being with in 100 Feet of a Polling place amounts to Intimidation.

It's not a secret the rest of the world wants Obama to win, why should we not think the UN does too.

Last edited:
In this country, it is illegal for any group to be within 100 feet of a polling place, including candidates and political parties.

That is false. It may be the law in your state, but I know for a fact it is not a federal law because I have worked on campaigns in the past.

In this country, it is illegal for any group to be within 100 feet of a polling place, including candidates and political parties.

That is false. It may be the law in your state, but I know for a fact it is not a federal law because I have worked on campaigns in the past.

They can be there as long as they don't Campaign, or Attempt to intimidate voters.

Forum List

Back