Texas Teen Killed by Police in School Had a Pellet Gun!

Yeah. A pellet gun. The parents of an eighth grader in Brownsville, Texas are outraged over the death of their teenage son to police bullets in what may have been a deadly misunderstanding. 15-year-old Jamie González was shot three times in a hallway at Cummings Middle School in Brownsville after a confrontation in which the police said the boy brandished— and refused to drop — what appeared to be a handgun. The weapon turned out to be a pellet gun that closely resembled the real thing, police said late Wednesday. What happened was an injustice.I know that my son wasn't perfect, but he was a great kid. - Noralva Gonzalez, Mother of 15 year-old Jaime González
"Why was so much excess force used on a minor?" the boy's father, Jaime González Sr., told The Associated Press outside the family's home Wednesday night. "Three shots. Why not one that would bring him down?" Read more: Texas Teen Shot in School by Police Had a Pellet Gun | Fox News Latino What ever happend to SWAT? Special Weapons and Technniques. Was there any other way? Some will say no. Others will say yes. But it is pretty bad when your kid goes to middle school and comes out in a body bag.

Responsibility belongs with . . . the foolish child who (1) brought the gun to school and (2) brandished the gun at school and (3) would not put down the gun at school when police ordered him to do so.

Sad, sad, sad.

The police did the right thing for all of the children at the school.

Yeah. A pellet gun.

The parents of an eighth grader in Brownsville, Texas are outraged over the death of their teenage son to police bullets in what may have been a deadly misunderstanding.

15-year-old Jamie González was shot three times in a hallway at Cummings Middle School in Brownsville after a confrontation in which the police said the boy brandished— and refused to drop — what appeared to be a handgun. The weapon turned out to be a pellet gun that closely resembled the real thing, police said late Wednesday.

What happened was an injustice.I know that my son wasn't perfect, but he was a great kid.
- Noralva Gonzalez, Mother of 15 year-old Jaime González

"Why was so much excess force used on a minor?" the boy's father, Jaime González Sr., told The Associated Press outside the family's home Wednesday night. "Three shots. Why not one that would bring him down?"

Read more: Texas Teen Shot in School by Police Had a Pellet Gun | Fox News Latino

What ever happend to SWAT? Special Weapons and Technniques. Was there any other way? Some will say no. Others will say yes. But it is pretty bad when your kid goes to middle school and comes out in a body bag.

Texas 'justice'?

Sunshine thinks the cops shot a kid because they were late for a coffee break.

You're a loon.

You think you know what someeone else thinks. You are delusional. Go take your Abilify.

Are you in the habit of saying things you don't really mean?

Or do you have the mental capacity of a goldfish and can't remember what you have just written?

One or the other. Your choice.

Look Sunshine! They tried to talk the kid down for 20 minutes and had no luck reasoning with him. A transcript of those 20 minutes would probably reveal an escalation despite the officer's attempts to diffuse the situation without deadly force.
While most LEO's do have a cursory training in dealing with this type of situation, they are not psychiatric nurses or or hostage negotiates like you see on TV. They are COPS. They are trained to see signs of threat and react immediately.
The kid held a gun towards police officers for 20 minutes. The question is why, at that moment, did an officer fire his weapon? Did the kid make some move, or say something at that moment that indicated he was about to shoot?
That seems a lot more likely than the cop simply was bored with the situation and was overdue for coffee break.
I love you, lady, but you are wrong here. The cop was 100% justified.

20 minutes is nothing. The kid wasn't shooting. They had time. If they didn't have the skill, they should have called in someone who DID have the skill. This was a serious error in judgment. I think your coffee break theory might have some credence. Too many people are impatient with young people these days. The see all our young people as nothing more than some kind of dirty scum, and even more so when they are Hispanic. I reference the numerous threads on 'anchor babies.' This kid was a drum major. He was part of the functional system of education, not some tattoo covered gang member.

I love you too! However, I have worked in the field of manics, panics, and satanics for 22 years. I've dealt with far worse, I can tell you. With no weapon of my own to use, and I'm still around to tell the stories.

I would encourage you to think about this one since you like bikes and tats. I have a friend who, several years ago bought a bike. He always talked of how differently people treated him and his wife when they were on the bike than they were treated driving their big luxury car. He said the experience taught him what it felt like to be a '******.' I don't know what flavor the cops were in this, but given the current temperment of the population, a LOT of people in America are and would be very willing to pull the trigger on an Hispanic kid much faster than they would on a white or a black kid.
Cops NEVER want to pull the trigger. Killing someone especially a kid is something they have to live with the rest of their lives.
That said, their primary duty is to protect the public and then go home to their families. They can't very well do that if they are dead.
It makes little difference how old, or what nationality the person pointing a gun at you is. You are just as dead.
If I have faced someone, ANYONE, with a gun for 20 minutes and haven't fired in all that time, logic says something had to change for me to make a life or death decision at that specific moment.
No, it's not likely that at that specific moment, it became time for coffee break, or he suddenly craved a donut. It is much more likely that the LEO noticed an imminent threat and responded appropriately to it.

Then how about the police officers removing themselves from the pointed gun?

The kid was in the hallway, and all the students were locked in their classes. Evacuate the students through the windows while waiting out the kid in the hallway - for as long as it takes.

What's the hurry, officers?

*bump*

Since the kid was trapped in the hallway, what was the hurry?

No one has answered yet.

It takes a tenth of a second for a gunman to pull a trigger and maybe another half second for a mortally wounded cop to fall to the floor. It seems to me that there was plenty of reason to hurry, unless you don't think the police have a right to go home to their families.
Hallways have corners leading to other hallways. The police did not need to confront him in full view.

Look Sunshine! They tried to talk the kid down for 20 minutes and had no luck reasoning with him. A transcript of those 20 minutes would probably reveal an escalation despite the officer's attempts to diffuse the situation without deadly force.
While most LEO's do have a cursory training in dealing with this type of situation, they are not psychiatric nurses or or hostage negotiates like you see on TV. They are COPS. They are trained to see signs of threat and react immediately.
The kid held a gun towards police officers for 20 minutes. The question is why, at that moment, did an officer fire his weapon? Did the kid make some move, or say something at that moment that indicated he was about to shoot?
That seems a lot more likely than the cop simply was bored with the situation and was overdue for coffee break.
Wow, 20 minutes!!! Were their doughnuts getting stale?

It turned out later the kid was shot twice.
The kid was warned many times to put the gun down and he did not do it.
When you disobey the authorities you pay for it.
If the kid had put the gun down he would still be alive today.

Funny how this runs counter to the wingnut line about Waco.

David Koresh was told by lawful authorities to put down his weapons and come out peaceably. Janet Reno gave him almost 60 days to do so. Then the FBI/ATF moved in.

But wingnuts criticize that.

David Koresh was told by lawful authorities to put down his weapons and come out peaceably. Janet Reno gave him almost 60 days to do so. Then the FBI/ATF moved in.

Riiiiiiiight. A young man brandishing a gun in a school has soooo much in common with Waco.

Riiiiiiiight. A young man brandishing a gun in a school has soooo much in common with Waco.
The use of police force is the subject. Try to keep up.

20 minutes is nothing. The kid wasn't shooting. They had time. If they didn't have the skill, they should have called in someone who DID have the skill. This was a serious error in judgment. I think your coffee break theory might have some credence. Too many people are impatient with young people these days. The see all our young people as nothing more than some kind of dirty scum, and even more so when they are Hispanic. I reference the numerous threads on 'anchor babies.' This kid was a drum major. He was part of the functional system of education, not some tattoo covered gang member.

I love you too! However, I have worked in the field of manics, panics, and satanics for 22 years. I've dealt with far worse, I can tell you. With no weapon of my own to use, and I'm still around to tell the stories.

I would encourage you to think about this one since you like bikes and tats. I have a friend who, several years ago bought a bike. He always talked of how differently people treated him and his wife when they were on the bike than they were treated driving their big luxury car. He said the experience taught him what it felt like to be a '******.' I don't know what flavor the cops were in this, but given the current temperment of the population, a LOT of people in America are and would be very willing to pull the trigger on an Hispanic kid much faster than they would on a white or a black kid.
Cops NEVER want to pull the trigger. Killing someone especially a kid is something they have to live with the rest of their lives.
That said, their primary duty is to protect the public and then go home to their families. They can't very well do that if they are dead.
It makes little difference how old, or what nationality the person pointing a gun at you is. You are just as dead.
If I have faced someone, ANYONE, with a gun for 20 minutes and haven't fired in all that time, logic says something had to change for me to make a life or death decision at that specific moment.
No, it's not likely that at that specific moment, it became time for coffee break, or he suddenly craved a donut. It is much more likely that the LEO noticed an imminent threat and responded appropriately to it.

Earn, there are some out there who DO want to pull the trigger. And that's all they want to do. They would have spent time working with this kid if he had been white. And they would know the black community would raise holy hell if they shot one of theirs. But THIS? THIS was, no doubt to them, just another dirty 'anchor baby' who should either get the hell out of get the hell shot out of him.

Earn, there are some out there who DO want to pull the trigger. And that's all they want to do. They would have spent time working with this kid if he had been white. And they would know the black community would raise holy hell if they shot one of theirs. But THIS? THIS was, no doubt to them, just another dirty 'anchor baby' who should either get the hell out of get the hell shot out of him.

Please stop with the racist element. Chances are very good that the officers who shot him are Hispanic. The interim police chief is.

In that community, he would not have stood out because of his ethnicity.

He stood out because he had a gun in school.

This is part of a growing trend in America for authorities to ignore the rights of citizens. I mean, if Obama can order a contract on an American, then why can't ordinary cops just assume the role of storm trooper? Answer: There is no reason they can't. No accountabiity.

Please stop with the racist element. Chances are very good that the officers who shot him are Hispanic. The interim police chief is.

In that community, he would not have stood out because of his ethnicity.

He stood out because he had a gun in school.

Prove it. I have as much right to speculate about this as you or anyone else.

Last edited:
And, this incident begs the question, how much warning did school officials have?

Dewey Cornell, a psychologist and education professor at the University of Virginia, said that in most school shooting cases, someone knew beforehand about an armed student's distress.

Parents say cop shooting of boy unjustified

I find it interesting that they haven't released the names of the officers.

Last edited:
*bump*

Since the kid was trapped in the hallway, what was the hurry?

No one has answered yet.

It takes a tenth of a second for a gunman to pull a trigger and maybe another half second for a mortally wounded cop to fall to the floor. It seems to me that there was plenty of reason to hurry, unless you don't think the police have a right to go home to their families.

Earn, you and I rarely disagree. But in this situation, we have to part company. These guys were supposed to be skilled professionals with advanced training to deal with these situations. If the were they didn't use their training. If they weren't they shouldn't have been there. And, as I said before, this is coming from one who has dealt with one hell of a lot worse. With no gun to use, just words and skill.

you keep telling us how you've dealt with a*hell of a lot worse*, but i think someone who actually had would be a lot less likely to armchair qb a situation like this.

go figure

Earn, you and I rarely disagree. But in this situation, we have to part company. These guys were supposed to be skilled professionals with advanced training to deal with these situations. If the were they didn't use their training. If they weren't they shouldn't have been there. And, as I said before, this is coming from one who has dealt with one hell of a lot worse. With no gun to use, just words and skill.

you keep telling us how you've dealt with a*hell of a lot worse*, but i think someone who actually had would be a lot less likely to armchair qb a situation like this.

go figure

Wrong again. In every situation like this in the places I have worked and do work we 'disect' the responses of ourselves and our coworkers. We are expected to offer up ways the situation could have been averted. That is known as 'critical incident stress debriefing.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_incident_stress_management

And when there is a death involved, there is the 'psychological autopsy.'

http://ezinearticles.com/?Understanding-The-Psychological-Autopsy&id=202888

del, your post just shows how little you know about emergency response to life threatening situations.

Last edited:
Pointing anything that appears to be a gun at a policeman is a very good way to get yourself shot - dead. The police did exactly what they should have done. Trying to put the blame on the police for this very stupid kids death is doing the police force a very big injustice. Why would a person take a pellet gun, or any other kind of gun, to school in the first place? Sorry.

Then how about the police officers removing themselves from the pointed gun?

The kid was in the hallway, and all the students were locked in their classes. Evacuate the students through the windows while waiting out the kid in the hallway - for as long as it takes.

What's the hurry, officers?

The kid acted in a stupid way and he got exactly what he deserved.

Funny, I never noticed what a piece of shit you were before.

It's always easy to second guess after the fact. Evacuate the students out the windows? I don't know where you live, but where I live they bricked up all the windows with the exception of about a foot at the top, it would be nearly impossible to evacuate everybody through those windows. Yeah, I know, the highschool that was so pleasent when I went there, look more like a prison than a school today.

And if the cops aren't in the hallway watching him, how do they know he isn't going into the classrooms after the students?

I don't know if the cops overreacted or not, I wasn't there, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't think anyone really wants to kill a kid, whatever the circumstances. Well, except for frustrated parents, and that feeling goes away pretty quickly. :D

Forum List

Back