Texas Teen Killed by Police in School Had a Pellet Gun!

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah. A pellet gun.

The parents of an eighth grader in Brownsville, Texas are outraged over the death of their teenage son to police bullets in what may have been a deadly misunderstanding.

15-year-old Jamie González was shot three times in a hallway at Cummings Middle School in Brownsville after a confrontation in which the police said the boy brandished— and refused to drop — what appeared to be a handgun. The weapon turned out to be a pellet gun that closely resembled the real thing, police said late Wednesday.

What happened was an injustice.I know that my son wasn't perfect, but he was a great kid.
- Noralva Gonzalez, Mother of 15 year-old Jaime González

"Why was so much excess force used on a minor?" the boy's father, Jaime González Sr., told The Associated Press outside the family's home Wednesday night. "Three shots. Why not one that would bring him down?"

Read more: Texas Teen Shot in School by Police Had a Pellet Gun | Fox News Latino

What ever happend to SWAT? Special Weapons and Technniques. Was there any other way? Some will say no. Others will say yes. But it is pretty bad when your kid goes to middle school and comes out in a body bag.

In another account, I read that the kid stated he was going to kill everybody.

At any rate- for all intents and purposes he was holding a loaded weapon and intended to use it.
How could the officers be expected to assume otherwise.

At any rate- for all intents and purposes he was holding a loaded weapon and intended to use it.

What did they do to 'talk him down?' That is what SWAT does. Why so quick on the draw? Because he looked Hispanic? Maybe?

Pointing anything that appears to be a gun at a policeman is a very good way to get yourself shot - dead. The police did exactly what they should have done. Trying to put the blame on the police for this very stupid kids death is doing the police force a very big injustice. Why would a person take a pellet gun, or any other kind of gun, to school in the first place? Sorry. The kid acted in a stupid way and he got exactly what he deserved.

What did they do to 'talk him down?' That is what SWAT does. Why so quick on the draw? Because he looked Hispanic? Maybe?

A gun, or anything resembling a gun, has no race or nationality.

Pointing anything that appears to be a gun at a policeman is a very good way to get yourself shot - dead. The police did exactly what they should have done. Trying to put the blame on the police for this very stupid kids death is doing the police force a very big injustice. Why would a person take a pellet gun, or any other kind of gun, to school in the first place? Sorry.

Then how about the police officers removing themselves from the pointed gun?

The kid was in the hallway, and all the students were locked in their classes. Evacuate the students through the windows while waiting out the kid in the hallway - for as long as it takes.

What's the hurry, officers?

The kid acted in a stupid way and he got exactly what he deserved.

Funny, I never noticed what a piece of shit you were before.

Interesting. The story said he had a bullet wound in the back of the head.

That's a tough one. Sounds like maybe suicide by cop.

If you are in school, and you are holding a gun, and the police are called, when you are asked to drop the gun, you'd better drop it.

The article says that from the time the police were called to the time the shots were fired, it was 20 minutes. That means that the kid was holding the gun in his hand for 20 minutes.

Why was he holding the gun in his hand for 20 minutes if he did not have a malicious motive?

I'm glad that he's dead.

I'm very critical of police abuse, but in this case, I don't blame them for shooting him. It doesn't sound like they had any way of knowing whether that gun was real or not. When faced with that situation you either take the chance the person kills you or you kill them first. I know what choice I would have made. The shooting was justified in my opinion. The kid was 15 years old. At that age he was fully aware of the risks involved in what he was doing.

As soon as he brandished a weapon, he became a danger to everyone. The cops job was to stop the danger. This aint the secret service where you take a bullet for your guy. Based on what little I know about the story I'd say the cop did the right thing.

Did the story lead to a racial angle? I don't understand the Hispanic reference.

If you are in school, and you are holding a gun, and the police are called, when you are asked to drop the gun, you'd better drop it.

The article says that from the time the police were called to the time the shots were fired, it was 20 minutes. That means that the kid was holding the gun in his hand for 20 minutes.

Why was he holding the gun in his hand for 20 minutes if he did not have a malicious motive?

I'm glad that he's dead.

sounds like a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Im going to go out on a limb and ask if the situation was a bit different... i.e. the kid did had a 'real' gun and killed another student. Would the same critics be saying what took the cops so long to react?

This is a tragedy all the way around.
I dont know about you, but I bet those cops are having a really hard time dealing with the consequences of what that stupid little punks actions.

I also feel for the kids parents... but they have to ask why the kids did it. WTF was he thinking???

Did the story lead to a racial angle? I don't understand the Hispanic reference.
The county in which Brownsville is located is about 85% Hispanic, so I'm not sure that there would be such an angle.

Another clue would have been his name: Jamie González

I think the point of the question was that in an area which is 85% Hispanic, Jamie González wouldn't have stood out in a way which would have caused his ethnicity to be a factor in the shooting.

I think we need to wait and see what the investigations says.

Cops do have a right to shoot someone who is about to shoot them.

Toy guns are supposed to have an orange tip to distinguish them from real guns since they are otherwise indistinguishable. There is no requirement for pellet guns. Pellet guns are too dangerous to be according the orange tip of harmless.

Forum List

Back