Texas Teen Killed by Police in School Had a Pellet Gun!

if sunshine had been there, she would have just slapped the cuffs on him.

And who on this thread actually WAS there? Could it be that we have one of those hot shots posting right here in River City?

Last edited:
As one who has intervened in situations actually as dangerous as this appeared and more so, all I can say is that your take is patently ridiculous. I hope those cops get fired. Or sent to jail. Or both.

I disagree. The cop was protecting a buttload of potential child victims.

Having said that I do respect your position. A friend of mine is an ER nurse and another is a correctional nurse. The stories they have told are...... telling.

I am not an ER nurse. I am a psychiatric nurse practitioner. Before I became an NP I worked the units AND for a few years, I worked the front door of two different psychiatric hospitals. I was in far worse situations than one with some 15 year old mouthing off and pointing a supposedly real gun. They walked in those front doors with everything you can imagine. And all we had was a couple of little old dried up security guards who couldn't be bothered to come if they were called. The education and skill of the professional staff is what saves the day. These cops were green horns! They didn't even try.

Last edited:
Did the story lead to a racial angle? I don't understand the Hispanic reference.
The county in which Brownsville is located is about 85% Hispanic, so I'm not sure that there would be such an angle.

Another clue would have been his name: Jamie González

That begs the question, did the cops know his name?
If the area is about 85% hispanic, there's a pretty good chance that at least one of the repsonding officers is also of hispanic descent.

it's a sad thing when kids end up dying from bad judgment like that...

most common way it happens around here...?

a sample fill-in-the-blanks news release:

"(first name) (surname, usually a long-established local family), (age between 17 and 21), was killed in a one-car accident in the early morning hours last (Saturday/Sunday). Police report that (surname) apparently failed to negotiate a curve on (state-road number of a rural two-lane highway), left the highway, hit a (culvert, tree, other immovable object) and was thrown from the vehicle. (surname), who wasn't wearing a seat belt, died at the scene. Police, while awaiting toxicology results, suspect alcohol was a factor in the accident."

It's probably best to get 'em early, before they've had a chance to reproduce.

Then how about the police officers removing themselves from the pointed gun?

The kid was in the hallway, and all the students were locked in their classes. Evacuate the students through the windows while waiting out the kid in the hallway - for as long as it takes.
What's the hurry, officers?
*bump*
Since the kid was trapped in the hallway, what was the hurry?
No one has answered yet.
Were you there?
Did you have the gun pointed at you?
No?
So who are you to second guess?

(Hint: Nobody)

We could very well ask you the same question, who are you to second guess? Were you there?

Did the story lead to a racial angle? I don't understand the Hispanic reference.
The county in which Brownsville is located is about 85% Hispanic, so I'm not sure that there would be such an angle.

Another clue would have been his name: Jamie González

The question was because the poster, in my opinion, tried to drop a race-card as a means of smearing the cops.

I don't care how old or small you are. If you are pointing what appears to be a loaded gun in my direction I am going to drop you and ask questions at your funeral. Unless there is more to this story, the cop was only doing his job. He'll also likely feel like shit the rest of his life.

I agree with you, since the race card was tossed out there pretty quickly. Just what we need, another way to set one group of people against another group. Divide et impera, it keeps the peasants distracted while the elites rip us off.

What's this kid doing with a pellet gun? Didn't anybody tell him you can put an eye out with those things?

Pointing anything that appears to be a gun at a policeman is a very good way to get yourself shot - dead. The police did exactly what they should have done. Trying to put the blame on the police for this very stupid kids death is doing the police force a very big injustice. Why would a person take a pellet gun, or any other kind of gun, to school in the first place? Sorry.

The kid was in the hallway, and all the students were locked in their classes. Evacuate the students through the windows while waiting out the kid in the hallway - for as long as it takes.

*bump*

No one has answered yet.

It takes a tenth of a second for a gunman to pull a trigger and maybe another half second for a mortally wounded cop to fall to the floor. It seems to me that there was plenty of reason to hurry, unless you don't think the police have a right to go home to their families.

*bump*

No one has answered yet.

It takes a tenth of a second for a gunman to pull a trigger and maybe another half second for a mortally wounded cop to fall to the floor. It seems to me that there was plenty of reason to hurry, unless you don't think the police have a right to go home to their families.

Earn, you and I rarely disagree. But in this situation, we have to part company. These guys were supposed to be skilled professionals with advanced training to deal with these situations. If the were they didn't use their training. If they weren't they shouldn't have been there. And, as I said before, this is coming from one who has dealt with one hell of a lot worse. With no gun to use, just words and skill.

There are just too many Quick Draw McGraws in the world. And many of them are on this thread!
And another one got carried out of his school in a body bag.
:(

One has to remember that "choice"s have consequences.

Yeah, the choice to dispatch two green horns really hurt the force and the community. If you look into later reports, the kids of the school are really having a tough time with it.

Look Sunshine! They tried to talk the kid down for 20 minutes and had no luck reasoning with him. A transcript of those 20 minutes would probably reveal an escalation despite the officer's attempts to diffuse the situation without deadly force.
While most LEO's do have a cursory training in dealing with this type of situation, they are not psychiatric nurses or or hostage negotiates like you see on TV. They are COPS. They are trained to see signs of threat and react immediately.
The kid held a gun towards police officers for 20 minutes. The question is why, at that moment, did an officer fire his weapon? Did the kid make some move, or say something at that moment that indicated he was about to shoot?
That seems a lot more likely than the cop simply was bored with the situation and was overdue for coffee break.
I love you, lady, but you are wrong here. The cop was 100% justified.

Look Sunshine! They tried to talk the kid down for 20 minutes and had no luck reasoning with him. A transcript of those 20 minutes would probably reveal an escalation despite the officer's attempts to diffuse the situation without deadly force.
While most LEO's do have a cursory training in dealing with this type of situation, they are not psychiatric nurses or or hostage negotiates like you see on TV. They are COPS. They are trained to see signs of threat and react immediately.
The kid held a gun towards police officers for 20 minutes. The question is why, at that moment, did an officer fire his weapon? Did the kid make some move, or say something at that moment that indicated he was about to shoot?
That seems a lot more likely than the cop simply was bored with the situation and was overdue for coffee break.
I love you, lady, but you are wrong here. The cop was 100% justified.

20 minutes is nothing. The kid wasn't shooting. They had time. If they didn't have the skill, they should have called in someone who DID have the skill. This was a serious error in judgment. I think your coffee break theory might have some credence. Too many people are impatient with young people these days. The see all our young people as nothing more than some kind of dirty scum, and even more so when they are Hispanic. I reference the numerous threads on 'anchor babies.' This kid was a drum major. He was part of the functional system of education, not some tattoo covered gang member.

I love you too! However, I have worked in the field of manics, panics, and satanics for 22 years. I've dealt with far worse, I can tell you. With no weapon of my own to use, and I'm still around to tell the stories.

I would encourage you to think about this one since you like bikes and tats. I have a friend who, several years ago bought a bike. He always talked of how differently people treated him and his wife when they were on the bike than they were treated driving their big luxury car. He said the experience taught him what it felt like to be a '******.' I don't know what flavor the cops were in this, but given the current temperment of the population, a LOT of people in America are and would be very willing to pull the trigger on an Hispanic kid much faster than they would on a white or a black kid.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back