Texas secession petition on White House website fast approaching 25,000-signatures!

This is a first. Don't know what to make of it yet.

As of Saturday November 10, 2012, 15 States have petitioned the Obama Administration for withdrawal from the United States of America in order to create its own government.
States following this action include: Louisiana, Texas, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, Colorado, Oregon and New York. These States have requested that the Obama Administration grant a peaceful withdrawal from the United States.

These citizen generated petitions were filed just days after the 2012 Presidential election.
Louisiana was the first State to file a petition a day after the election by a Michael E. from Slidell, Louisiana. Texas was the next State to follow by a Micah H. from Arlington, Texas.
The government allows one month from the day the petition is submitted to obtain 25,000 signatures in order for the Obama administration to consider the request.

The Texas petition reads as follows:
The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government’s neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it’s citizens’ standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

As of 12:46 am, Sunday, signatures obtained by Louisiana, 7,358; Texas, 3,771; Florida, 636; Georgia, 475; Alabama, 834; North Carolina, 792; Kentucky, 467; Mississippi, 475; Indiana, 449; North Dakota, 162; Montana, 440; Colorado, 324; Oregon, 328; New Jersey, 301 and New York, 169. Many more States are expected to follow.

A petition is not searchable at WhiteHouse.gov until 150 signatures have been obtained. It is the originator's responsibility to obtain these signatures.

15 States including Texas have filed a petition to secede from the United States

Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States - Dallas Top News | Examiner.com

9000 citizens filed a petition and ask for 16000 more signatures. Now since your title claims the States did it, please provide a Link to ANY Government entity in ANY of the mentioned States petitioning to leave the Union.

This is a first. Don't know what to make of it yet.

As of Saturday November 10, 2012, 15 States have petitioned the Obama Administration for withdrawal from the United States of America in order to create its own government.
States following this action include: Louisiana, Texas, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, Colorado, Oregon and New York. These States have requested that the Obama Administration grant a peaceful withdrawal from the United States.

These citizen generated petitions were filed just days after the 2012 Presidential election.
Louisiana was the first State to file a petition a day after the election by a Michael E. from Slidell, Louisiana. Texas was the next State to follow by a Micah H. from Arlington, Texas.
The government allows one month from the day the petition is submitted to obtain 25,000 signatures in order for the Obama administration to consider the request.

The Texas petition reads as follows:
The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government’s neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it’s citizens’ standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

As of 12:46 am, Sunday, signatures obtained by Louisiana, 7,358; Texas, 3,771; Florida, 636; Georgia, 475; Alabama, 834; North Carolina, 792; Kentucky, 467; Mississippi, 475; Indiana, 449; North Dakota, 162; Montana, 440; Colorado, 324; Oregon, 328; New Jersey, 301 and New York, 169. Many more States are expected to follow.

A petition is not searchable at WhiteHouse.gov until 150 signatures have been obtained. It is the originator's responsibility to obtain these signatures.

15 States including Texas have filed a petition to secede from the United States

Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States - Dallas Top News | Examiner.com

Seriously??? You're going to waste our time with this stupid shit? So a few lunatics want to secede. The states are not asking to secede you goof; it's just a bunch of looney tunes that want to secede. Are you a looney tune?

Well we could discuss what kind of an American these people are & let the right defend Rick Perry & Palin. I see these people as giving up their rights to be an American, in essence they are turn coats or traitors, not defiant patriots.

It makes perfect sense that Texas, Florida and New York would want to secede, since they pay more and get back less from Washington.

However, it's all those almost entirely red states that baffle me since they get back $1.25-$1.50 back for every buck they pay in federal taxes.

The red states bleed the rest of us dry, but they want to secede? Fine, than the blue states can actually balance their books for a change instead of taking care of cowpokes in Kentucky who are on the take.

Could I petition to remove my property from the sovereignty of the United States and form my own country? Because I think that is as legitimate as these petitions are.

If this did happen the refugee camps on the border of southern states that would spring up would be both hilarious and frightening places.

Naw, the "texas backs" would be swimming the Red and the Sabine to get back to real America.

The Mexicans would eat an independent Texas for lunch.

When all attempts to arrive at a formal annexation treaty failed, the United States Congress passed—after much debate and only a simple majority—a Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States. Under these terms, Texas would keep both its public lands and its public debt, it would have the power to divide into four additional states "of convenient size" in the future if it so desired, and it would deliver all military, postal, and customs facilities and authority to the United States government. (Neither this joint resolution or the ordinance passed by the Republic of Texas' Annexation Convention gave Texas the right to secede.)

That comes from the Texas State Library and Archives Comission in regards to Texas entry into the Union in 1845.

All of this said, the last time a poll was taken in the state of Texas on this subject by USNews, only 1 in 5 supported Texas actually doing such a thing, so for those advocating this sort of thing you have a very high hill to climb even among the citizens of the State of Texas the legal issues, as well as a whole host of others notwithstanding. The bottom line here is this, while it might sound good to advocate such a thing, no state including Texas is going anyplace anytime soon, outside of armed rebellion and thats highly unlikely. So it would seem the best thing to do given that, is to advocate for making your part of Texas perhaps into it's own individual state, which has Senators, Reps. and others who represent your views as opposed to advocating something that has been settled since 1865 at the cost of over 700,000 Americans on both sides of this issue.

I'm sure we have all heard rumors about the movement within Texas to secede from the union and many scoff at the notion. However, with elections like the ones we just had, people tend to become more determined and purposeful.

Just for fun, what would happen if Texas seceded? What would be the reaction of the federal monster in DC and what would become of the people of Texas?

I always said that we should sell it to China to pay off the debt. Seriously, would you miss it?

]

Pay off the debt? Is anything worth $16 trillion? And if it were, they would run the debt back up in a couple of years anyway.

Well, you have to also consider that we won't be sending aid to Texas either (most Red States are the biggest consumers of welfare), no more border agents, etc...

I think it would devestate the Texas economy......at first. Then they could rebuild. It would be an Atlass Shrugged haven for the best and brightest in the US to run to, as well as an outsoursing megaheaven in the end.

They could then start afresh as they cast off the chains of the two mega parties and return to state sovereignty as was originally the design before the Civil War changed thing and the federal beast slowly took over all governing.

Seriously, we sell it to China. Let them worry about the immigration, wildfires, etc. I bet in about 5 years, they'll want to sell it back to us at a loss.
Just kinda thinking how is it you think we could actually sell a state full of armed people to China? The state won't put up with being sold so just how do you accomplish that? And I'm assuming you don't think any other states would join them.

Armed people? Hell, it's China's problem. Texas couldn't put out a few wildfires last year.

As for other states. No. Texas is the Mitt Romney of our union; Aloof and proud for no reason other than, at times, it can be.

Nope. They knew the fighting would have continued. If Stanton had his way, he would have hung Lee and Jefferson and Longstreet immediately. Grant and Sherman's benificient surrender terms went a long, long way to make sure no guerrilla war continued.

Sorry bout that,

1. Before we secede, we need to identify all those Yankee's who moved down here in the last twenty years and boot them out first.
2. Then secede.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Hey...secede, and I'll move there! I have been wanting to get out of this dump for a while now but haven't had a good enough reason to do so.

I always said that we should sell it to China to pay off the debt. Seriously, would you miss it?

]

Pay off the debt? Is anything worth $16 trillion? And if it were, they would run the debt back up in a couple of years anyway.

Well, you have to also consider that we won't be sending aid to Texas either (most Red States are the biggest consumers of welfare), no more border agents, etc...

Texas pays more in Federal money than they receive, I recall by a significant amount. (15-20%)

Forum List

Back