Texas Refuses To Pay Wrongfully Convicted Man, Garnishes His Wages Instead

So they lock you up so you can't earn a living and they expect you to make amends when you finally get out?

It's not making amends it's doing what he was ordered to do before he was imprisoned or paying off a debt he incurred in the past. I would think a father would want to give the money to his kid so as to make the kid's life a little better.

His kid is grown now. His kid should be making a living for himself. Child support was supposed to go to the child as a child, not as an adult. I think once a child is grown, child support should be waved, but that is just me.

But it wasn't given to the kid for whatever reason. It was a debt the father owed both legally and morally and one he should make good on.

It's not making amends it's doing what he was ordered to do before he was imprisoned or paying off a debt he incurred in the past. I would think a father would want to give the money to his kid so as to make the kid's life a little better.

His kid is grown now. His kid should be making a living for himself. Child support was supposed to go to the child as a child, not as an adult. I think once a child is grown, child support should be waved, but that is just me.

But it wasn't given to the kid for whatever reason. It was a debt the father owed both legally and morally and one he should make good on.

For whatever reason???? You are kidding right? It wasn't given to him because his father was wrongly accused of a crime he didn't commit. His mother must have gotten welfare due to the father not being in the home, thus the debt has been payed by the state who wrongly incarcerated the father. The father should not have to pay and the child should not get payed twice.

You have to be nuts to think that any man wrongly put into prison by the STATE, owes the state back child support payments.

Such a position flies in the face of both logic and is an fine example of a miscarriage of justice.

You have to be nuts to think that any man wrongly put into prison by the STATE, owes the state back child support payments.

Such a position flies in the face of both logic and is an fine example of a miscarriage of justice.

He doesn't owe the state he owes his kid.

The KID isn't garnishing his wages...the state is.

Unless I have misread the event, the state is now expecting him to repay the state for whatever welfare they gave to the kid.

Am I wrong?

Unless I have misread the event, the state is now expecting him to repay the state for whatever welfare they gave to the kid.

Am I wrong?

Child support goes to the man's family not the state. A lot of men get their child support taken out of their paychecks and the money is then forwarded by the state dept of revenue to the recipient. It's a very common practice.

Am I wrong?

Child support goes to the man's family not the state. A lot of men get their child support taken out of their paychecks and the money is then forwarded by the state dept of revenue to the recipient. It's a very common practice.

EXCEPT in cases where the STATE provided WELFARE to the children.

THEN the STATE goes after the parent for the money the STATE provided and that money goes to the STATE in compensation.

So really this is a question of who the state is trying to claim this debt for?

That is why I asked you if you knew for sure.

I can't really tell based on this article.

Am I wrong?

EXCEPT in cases where the STATE provided WELFARE to the children.

THEN the STATE goes after the parent for the money the STATE provided and that money goes to the STATE in compensation.

So really this is a question of who the state is trying to claim this debt for?

That is why I asked you if you knew for sure.

I can't really tell based on this article.

As well the state should. It is a parent's responsibility to support his children. And really 5K is not much money. So let him pay off his obligation.

It's not like i don't feel for the guy. Shit happens to everyone but everyone should pay what they owe.

Forum List

Back