Texas: Conservative Paradise, 25 Billion dollars in the hole.

map.gif

While it's true that Texas pays like a "Blue" State, a couple of things do come to light. Alaska gets a lot of government subsidies when they have so much oil money they pay their citizens to live there. Thank Gawd for half governor Sarah Palin.
And Texas, for a state that also has oil, why are they in the hole? The are nothing like Blue States. They are so hostile to "education" they want to redefine science and re-write history.
They don't pay for almost anything and they have many military bases the government is paying them rent for.

So, the Texas equation: Oil Money + Government Money + plus paying nothing on Education + Paying nothing on infrastructure = Bankrupt. This is how conservatives govern. How many examples do we need?

Keep piling up the obfuscation bullshit...
First off genius the royalty payment for Alaska residents was part of the Oil Pipe Line deal which was negotiated LONG before Sarah Palin was out of grade school.
And Texas is certainly NOT hostile to education. The state has one of the finest public university systems in the US and is home to many of the best private universities in the nation.
You will now provide examples with links to the alleged hostility to education.
Military bases are US Property ,dumb ass.
Oh you enviro nazis have made oil production in the US so God damned expensive with your idiotic regulations and lawsuits, most of the wells in Texas produce NOTHING...Enjoy your Obama caused $4 gas ....
What the hell does this have to do with the Krugman op ed piece? Not a thing.....

Any military base pumps money into the local economy. I thought EVERYONE knew that. Guess I was wrong.

As far as "hostile" to education, we will let Texas speak for itself:

Start with the Republican State of Texas Party Platform:

http://static.texastribune.org/media/documents/FINAL_2010_STATE_REPUBLICAN_PARTY_PLATFORM.pdf

Historians speak out against proposed Texas textbook changes

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns | World news | The Guardian

Now a battle looms in Texas over science textbooks that teach evolution, and the wrestle for control seizes on three words. None of them are “creationism” or “intelligent design” or even “creator.”

The words are “strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/us/04evolution.html

Texas ranks in the bottom third of states—34th nationally—in a state-by-state study of our children's well-being, according to the 2010 KIDS COUNT Data Book. The study reveals that Texas has the third highest teen birth rate in the nation, and a child poverty rate well above the rest of the U.S.

CPPP Article List: KIDS COUNT

Someone says Texas is NOT hostile to education so I simply post what the Republicans in Texas are doing. Yea, I was wrong. Democrats are NOT hostile to education. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for Republicans. Pity.

The whole thing sorta went whoosh..

I will break it down for you.
-Low taxes.
-More back from the Federal Government then they put in.
-Oil.
-Poor or non-existent public services.

And STILL in the hole.:lol:
first ,you claim that Texas is not a donor state is false.
What public services are you referring to?
Over stuffed municipal payrolls with more workers than there is work to do? Political patronage jobs paying well into six figures with bonuses? Deferred pay? Ability to save up unlimited amounts of sick and vacation time over an entire career?
My town tax rate is a paltry 12 cents per $100 of assessed value.
We have more than adequate law enforcement. Weekly trash collection, water, sewer, very few municipal workers( not needed).Volunteer FD. It's called limited government. Council members are not paid full time employees. They are paid a modest stipend. This is designed to eliminate the specter of "career politicians". There is no political patronage.
Everything works just fine.
Our system is efficient and inexpensive. We have parks which are on land donated by the private sector. The people in town who use the ball fields maintain them on their own time and own dime. There is no need to hire people at taxpayer expense to cut the grass.
We do not need nor want the kind of overstuffed expensive government seen in big union states. In fact most of us here moved away to escape big government. We are happy to not be paying over $1000 per month in property taxes. Most of us pay that in a year.
I live in a very nice neighborhood surrounded by other nice neighborhoods.
So there. High taxes and huge municipal payrolls does not a good town make.
BTW, public sector workers are prohibited the right to collective bargaining. That's called salary control. Public workers earn market wages and serve because they wish to serve. Not because service presents a financial windfall.

Yeah..I was wrong about the Federal tax thing..oh well.

But all the austerity..hasn't kept Texas from being as in the hole as states that provide good services.
i

What austerity? Have you any data? Or is it the alleged lack of services an idea you created simply because municipal and state workers are not represented by unions?
I have been to Texas many times. Their roads are fine, services do not appear to be any different than they are anywhere else.
I think you're just pissed off because the public worker unions are in the cross hairs of public commentary.
Look, you must realize that this gravy train eventually had to come to a halt. Certainly, you are not that unrealistic.
Fact is Texas has problems with foreclosed homes just as any other state. Texas has unemployment issues ,not as terrible as other states and that has caused a loss of revenue.
To assume that just because a state does not allow collective bargaining by public workers does not translate to a budget surplus.
I submit that if Texas WAS a union state, the problem would be FAR worse.
Nice try on this one sallow.......Thanks for playing.

Keep piling up the obfuscation bullshit...
First off genius the royalty payment for Alaska residents was part of the Oil Pipe Line deal which was negotiated LONG before Sarah Palin was out of grade school.
And Texas is certainly NOT hostile to education. The state has one of the finest public university systems in the US and is home to many of the best private universities in the nation.
You will now provide examples with links to the alleged hostility to education.
Military bases are US Property ,dumb ass.
Oh you enviro nazis have made oil production in the US so God damned expensive with your idiotic regulations and lawsuits, most of the wells in Texas produce NOTHING...Enjoy your Obama caused $4 gas ....
What the hell does this have to do with the Krugman op ed piece? Not a thing.....

Any military base pumps money into the local economy. I thought EVERYONE knew that. Guess I was wrong.

http://static.texastribune.org/media/documents/FINAL_2010_STATE_REPUBLICAN_PARTY_PLATFORM.pdf

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns | World news | The Guardian

Now a battle looms in Texas over science textbooks that teach evolution, and the wrestle for control seizes on three words. None of them are “creationism” or “intelligent design” or even “creator.”

Texas ranks in the bottom third of states—34th nationally—in a state-by-state study of our children's well-being, according to the 2010 KIDS COUNT Data Book. The study reveals that Texas has the third highest teen birth rate in the nation, and a child poverty rate well above the rest of the U.S.

Someone says Texas is NOT hostile to education so I simply post what the Republicans in Texas are doing. Yea, I was wrong. Democrats are NOT hostile to education. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for Republicans. Pity.

hey DINO....all these links are to opinion pieces. Stop trying to pass this crap off as news.
"Kids Count"? Yeah, like they don't have an agenda. Please.

Sallow was already proven full of shit on the notion that Texas receives more Federal dollars than it pays in taxes.

map.gif

While it's true that Texas pays like a "Blue" State, a couple of things do come to light. Alaska gets a lot of government subsidies when they have so much oil money they pay their citizens to live there. Thank Gawd for half governor Sarah Palin.
And Texas, for a state that also has oil, why are they in the hole? The are nothing like Blue States. They are so hostile to "education" they want to redefine science and re-write history.
They don't pay for almost anything and they have many military bases the government is paying them rent for.

So, the Texas equation: Oil Money + Government Money + plus paying nothing on Education + Paying nothing on infrastructure = Bankrupt. This is how conservatives govern. How many examples do we need?

The State of TEXAS gets plenty of money from the FEDS that is NOT counted as such.

The OIL DEPETION allowance keeps their oil industry alive and well.

And everybody in the rest of the nation pays for it.

Yes, I fear having to police the Texas border from all the illegals California lets in is taking a toll.

first ,you claim that Texas is not a donor state is false.
What public services are you referring to?
Over stuffed municipal payrolls with more workers than there is work to do? Political patronage jobs paying well into six figures with bonuses? Deferred pay? Ability to save up unlimited amounts of sick and vacation time over an entire career?
My town tax rate is a paltry 12 cents per $100 of assessed value.
We have more than adequate law enforcement. Weekly trash collection, water, sewer, very few municipal workers( not needed).Volunteer FD. It's called limited government. Council members are not paid full time employees. They are paid a modest stipend. This is designed to eliminate the specter of "career politicians". There is no political patronage.
Everything works just fine.
Our system is efficient and inexpensive. We have parks which are on land donated by the private sector. The people in town who use the ball fields maintain them on their own time and own dime. There is no need to hire people at taxpayer expense to cut the grass.
We do not need nor want the kind of overstuffed expensive government seen in big union states. In fact most of us here moved away to escape big government. We are happy to not be paying over $1000 per month in property taxes. Most of us pay that in a year.
I live in a very nice neighborhood surrounded by other nice neighborhoods.
So there. High taxes and huge municipal payrolls does not a good town make.
BTW, public sector workers are prohibited the right to collective bargaining. That's called salary control. Public workers earn market wages and serve because they wish to serve. Not because service presents a financial windfall.

But all the austerity..hasn't kept Texas from being as in the hole as states that provide good services.
i

What austerity? Have you any data? Or is it the alleged lack of services an idea you created simply because municipal and state workers are not represented by unions?
I have been to Texas many times. Their roads are fine, services do not appear to be any different than they are anywhere else.
I think you're just pissed off because the public worker unions are in the cross hairs of public commentary.
Look, you must realize that this gravy train eventually had to come to a halt. Certainly, you are not that unrealistic.
Fact is Texas has problems with foreclosed homes just as any other state. Texas has unemployment issues ,not as terrible as other states and that has caused a loss of revenue.
To assume that just because a state does not allow collective bargaining by public workers does not translate to a budget surplus.

Playing what?

No I haven't been to Texas. I've met plenty of people from Texas and for the most part, if those people were indicative of the people from the state, I never want to set foot in it. Add in they elected a real traitorous asshole of a governor. I hate the whole "If you ain't from Texas you ain't shit" tude too.

Be that as it may..Texas produced President Bush. That alone is a reason to loathe it.

In any case that's not the point of the Thread. Texas was put up as a model of Conservative ideals. It constantly proudly proclaims how self sustaining this model is..and obviously it is not. Of course the takeaway should be that both expenditures and revenues should line up. It won't be. Conservative will be braying about expenses. Liberals will be shouting about the lack of taxes. The solution is probably somewhere in the middle.

suck it!
Texas rocks
and really, you are in NY and looking for bad news from Texas.......
my kid can kick your kids ass in any given subject or sport......
and his mama can kick yer mamas ass:tongue:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Texas is just one of 50 states. Nothing really special about it when you get right down to it.

hey DINO....all these links are to opinion pieces. Stop trying to pass this crap off as news.

Seriously? You don't know that Texas has been rewriting text books? Or they want to "teach the controversy" or it has the third highest teen birth rate in the nation or what it says in the Republican Party State Platform? All of those are "opinions"? Do you even bother with news outside of Fox?

i

Playing what?

No I haven't been to Texas. I've met plenty of people from Texas and for the most part, if those people were indicative of the people from the state, I never want to set foot in it. Add in they elected a real traitorous asshole of a governor. I hate the whole "If you ain't from Texas you ain't shit" tude too.

Be that as it may..Texas produced President Bush. That alone is a reason to loathe it.

In any case that's not the point of the Thread. Texas was put up as a model of Conservative ideals. It constantly proudly proclaims how self sustaining this model is..and obviously it is not. Of course the takeaway should be that both expenditures and revenues should line up. It won't be. Conservative will be braying about expenses. Liberals will be shouting about the lack of taxes. The solution is probably somewhere in the middle.

You're just pissed off because you were wrong.
Texas is not just a state. Texas is an attitude. There is the American way and then there is the Texas way. It is what it is . I am sure the residents of Texas are unconcerned as to your feelings about them and the Lone Star State. So be it.
"Somewhere in the middle" On that, we agree.

Texas is only a welfare state in terms of getting more back from the Federal government then they put in.

Then why do you keep voting for politicians who enjoy sending your money there?

I was wrong about that one.

In any case..it's the government's role to fund states..

Texas, however, is a "contributor" state.
No, The role of the federal government is not to fund state government.
Each state is responsible for funding itself.
Federal subsidies to states are not necessary. However, the federal government uses federal money to exert control over the states.
Examples would be the 55mph speed limit Nixon unconstitutionally forced upon the states.
The Nixon admin threatened to pull federal road money for any state that did not comply.
in 1992, Arizona said "screw you" to the federal speed limit. The feds said ok, no more road money"..Arizona went on about it's business and set their speed limits to ones of their choosing. Arizona's problem was the cost to enforce the 55mph limit on interstates was costing them more than the federal road money was worth.
Another aspect of federal money is the federal government's interloping in local school policy matters. Every year it seems the feds are sticking their noses into local school board's business. The result is the dumbing down of education or face losing federal funding. That's outrageous.

Seriously? You don't know that Texas has been rewriting text books? Or they want to "teach the controversy" or it has the third highest teen birth rate in the nation or what it says in the Republican Party State Platform? All of those are "opinions"? Do you even bother with news outside of Fox?
Do you ever bother with anything but the liberal media( MSNBC, CNN, etc)?
"Seriously"...Really?!!!!
BTW democrats are not hostile to PUBLIC( Government) education. Why? Teacher's unions that why. Democrats have been supporting unionization and tenure of public school teachers and in turn most teachers vote democrat in lockstep.
Democrats are hostile to private schools, charter schools and home schooling....
SO what the hell does this have to do with unions and public sector workers? Nothing.
Your side loses this battle hands down. So you try to deflect the issue by introducing unrelated crap. FAIL.
Public worker unions......Going down .... The sooner the better.
Drop their pay to realistic levels. Eliminate the free health care. Gert rid of the cushy work rules. Bye bye to unsustainable defined benefit pensions.
We cannot and will not pay for it anymore.

Sallow was already proven full of shit on the notion that Texas receives more Federal dollars than it pays in taxes.

map.gif

The State of TEXAS gets plenty of money from the FEDS that is NOT counted as such.

The OIL DEPETION allowance keeps their oil industry alive and well.

And everybody in the rest of the nation pays for it.

Not just a problem for Texas, and something should be done to assess each state and come up with a percentage of taxes to send the feds. And a percentage of returns to send back to the states. Whatever a state sent in can be used as their allotment for any bills, or pork barrel stuff, but that is it.

Forum List

Back