Texas: Conservative Paradise, 25 Billion dollars in the hole.

No education and no health care. This is the Republican "Recipe for Success".

no its not....prove what you just said dickhead......show me a Republican who says he doesnt want some kind of an Educational System in place and wants no health care....here is your chance Dean....show us one of your fabled links....or do like you usually do and start Dancing....

Dean are you going to answer this....or Dance?....if your going to Dance a nice Rumba would be appropriate.....

I found this site which is quite interesting, it rates the states in several categories.
Best States to Live (most recent) by state

Unfortunately for Texas, they didn't do to well. They have low taxes but the quality of life is rated 45th.
As I live in Minnesota, I'd like to point out that we're up there in regards to taxes, but despite our cold winters,
Minnesota is ranked 2nd in the Best Place to Live. We're healthy, rich, educated, with low crime rate, clean air and a great place to raise kids One does get what they pay for. I remember saw a poll a year or two ago and by a wide margin people would rather pay for the high quality of life instead of paying less taxes and seeing the quality of life go downward.

Last edited:
Yes, further cuts, government has suffered enough. To burden government with further decreases in spending is tyranny.

Imagine the cruelty.

The whole thing sorta went whoosh..

I will break it down for you.
-Low taxes.
-More back from the Federal Government then they put in.
-Oil.
-Poor or non-existent public services.

And STILL in the hole.:lol:

Low taxes, hardly

More back then they put in, hardly

Oil, a benefit to all

Poor or non-existent public services, again wrong.

but hey, you got lots of thanks,

Texas, another example why we need one, low tax. We cannot trust anybody who works in government. Governments need to cut the budget to at least 10% below the total tax revenue taken during the recession. There is no need for any government, county, state, local, federal, to collect and spend more money than we collect now in taxes.

I bet Texas lost at least a billion in tax revenue when Trans Ocean moved to Sweden or was that Switzerland.

How much more has Texas lost as a direct result of Obama's and the Democrats energy policy. Over a thousand energy bills in the last two years alone, what is the cost to Texas of all these bills, I bet you they have at least a hundred lawyers or more that must deal with the Federal Government.

Yet people are demanding we pay more into a failed government.

Still 1.3 billion dollars, thats a lot of money to be short, and that is projected shortfall or deficit, that could turn around, what cannot turn around is the 100 billion or more that California owes.

Documents Reveal Deficit in Texas State Budget — Budget | The Texas Tribune

Comptroller Susan Combs' quiet acknowledgment that Texas will show a $1.3 billion deficit at the end of the budget year contrasts with the happy face she's put on state finances leading up to the 2010 elections.

What do you do when a state is deprived of it's livelyhood by greenie revolutionary thugs? Texas is about oil and the revolutionary commie Van Jones administration wants China and Venezuala and Mexico to run America's energy future.

No Unions, piss poor education, terrible public services and basically a gimme state in terms of the Fed, it's STILL in the hole.

Krugman's take:

Op-Ed Columnist
The Texas Omen
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: January 6, 2011

How bad is the Texas deficit? Comparing budget crises among states is tricky, for technical reasons. Still, data from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities suggest that the Texas budget gap is worse than New York’s, about as bad as California’s, but not quite up to New Jersey levels.

The point, however, is that just the other day Texas was being touted as a role model (and still is by commentators who haven’t been keeping up with the news). It was the state the recession supposedly passed by, thanks to its low taxes and business-friendly policies. Its governor boasted that its budget was in good shape thanks to his “tough conservative decisions.”

Oh, and at a time when there’s a full-court press on to demonize public-sector unions as the source of all our woes, Texas is nearly demon-free: less than 20 percent of public-sector workers there are covered by union contracts, compared with almost 75 percent in New York.

So what happened to the “Texas miracle” many people were talking about even a few months ago?

Part of the answer is that reports of a recession-proof state were greatly exaggerated. It’s true that Texas job losses haven’t been as severe as those in the nation as a whole since the recession began in 2007. But Texas has a rapidly growing population — largely, suggests Harvard’s Edward Glaeser, because its liberal land-use and zoning policies have kept housing cheap. There’s nothing wrong with that; but given that rising population, Texas needs to create jobs more rapidly than the rest of the country just to keep up with a growing work force.

And when you look at unemployment, Texas doesn’t seem particularly special: its unemployment rate is below the national average, thanks in part to high oil prices, but it’s about the same as the unemployment rate in New York or Massachusetts.

What about the budget? The truth is that the Texas state government has relied for years on smoke and mirrors to create the illusion of sound finances in the face of a serious “structural” budget deficit — that is, a deficit that persists even when the economy is doing well. When the recession struck, hitting revenue in Texas just as it did everywhere else, that illusion was bound to collapse.

The only thing that let Gov. Rick Perry get away, temporarily, with claims of a surplus was the fact that Texas enacts budgets only once every two years, and the last budget was put in place before the depth of the economic downturn was clear. Now the next budget must be passed — and Texas may have a $25 billion hole to fill. Now what?

Given the complete dominance of conservative ideology in Texas politics, tax increases are out of the question. So it has to be spending cuts.

Yet Mr. Perry wasn’t lying about those “tough conservative decisions”: Texas has indeed taken a hard, you might say brutal, line toward its most vulnerable citizens. Among the states, Texas ranks near the bottom in education spending per pupil, while leading the nation in the percentage of residents without health insurance. It’s hard to imagine what will happen if the state tries to eliminate its huge deficit purely through further cuts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/opinion/07krugman.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

Yippee-ka-yay Motherfuckers.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

they are booming in production of "shovel ready kids" though!

Yes, further cuts, government has suffered enough. To burden government with further decreases in spending is tyranny.

Imagine the cruelty.

The whole thing sorta went whoosh..

I will break it down for you.
-Low taxes.
-More back from the Federal Government then they put in.
-Oil.
-Poor or non-existent public services.

And STILL in the hole.:lol:

running the eletric chair on all those "guilty" people really racks up the eletric bill

Texas, another example why we need one, low tax. We cannot trust anybody who works in government. Governments need to cut the budget to at least 10% below the total tax revenue taken during the recession. There is no need for any government, county, state, local, federal, to collect and spend more money than we collect now in taxes.

I bet Texas lost at least a billion in tax revenue when Trans Ocean moved to Sweden or was that Switzerland.

How much more has Texas lost as a direct result of Obama's and the Democrats energy policy. Over a thousand energy bills in the last two years alone, what is the cost to Texas of all these bills, I bet you they have at least a hundred lawyers or more that must deal with the Federal Government.

Still 1.3 billion dollars, thats a lot of money to be short, and that is projected shortfall or deficit, that could turn around, what cannot turn around is the 100 billion or more that California owes.

Comptroller Susan Combs' quiet acknowledgment that Texas will show a $1.3 billion deficit at the end of the budget year contrasts with the happy face she's put on state finances leading up to the 2010 elections.

Considering the number of days congress was in session, they would have to pass four energy bills every single time they were in session for two straight years.

Krugman is sooo right! What a genius! Texas has comparable unemployment rates to New York and Massachussetts so the economic health of the states must be almost exactly the same and therefore public policy differences mean nothing...

Anyone remember the 2010 census just came out? The population of New York grew by slightly more than 2% over the past ten years. The population of Massachussets grew by slightly more than 3% over the past ten years. The population of Texas grew by almost 21% over the past ten years. So how is Krugman's comparison anything near appropriate? Texas had to create substantially more jobs over that period of time in order to maintain comparable unemployment rates to New York and Massachussets. Obviously the economy of Texas has grown much more rigorously than either of the other two states. But, according to Krugman, the fact that at this point in time the unemployement rates are comparable proves that the economies of each state are equally vigorous. Apparently that makes sense to idiots. I'm sure the rest of the article contains other similar logical fallacies. That's just the one that jumped out to me.

no its not....prove what you just said dickhead......show me a Republican who says he doesnt want some kind of an Educational System in place and wants no health care....here is your chance Dean....show us one of your fabled links....or do like you usually do and start Dancing....

Dean are you going to answer this....or Dance?....if your going to Dance a nice Rumba would be appropriate.....

Dean....go on the show "So You Think You Can Dance".....you would be great.....

Krugman is sooo right! What a genius! Texas has comparable unemployment rates to New York and Massachussetts so the economic health of the states must be almost exactly the same and therefore public policy differences mean nothing...

Anyone remember the 2010 census just came out? The population of New York grew by slightly more than 2% over the past ten years. The population of Massachussets grew by slightly more than 3% over the past ten years. The population of Texas grew by almost 21% over the past ten years. So how is Krugman's comparison anything near appropriate? Texas had to create substantially more jobs over that period of time in order to maintain comparable unemployment rates to New York and Massachussets. Obviously the economy of Texas has grown much more rigorously than either of the other two states. But, according to Krugman, the fact that at this point in time the unemployement rates are comparable proves that the economies of each state are equally vigorous. Apparently that makes sense to idiots. I'm sure the rest of the article contains other similar logical fallacies. That's just the one that jumped out to me.

Krugman is the only economist to get a Noble Prize for consistently being wrong in the trillion column

It’s true that Texas job losses haven’t been as severe as those in the nation as a whole since the recession began in 2007. But Texas has a rapidly growing population — largely, suggests Harvard’s Edward Glaeser, because its liberal land-use and zoning policies have kept housing cheap. There’s nothing wrong with that; but given that rising population, Texas needs to create jobs more rapidly than the rest of the country just to keep up with a growing work force.

Does anyone understand what the blithering idiot from the NYT OpEd article writing morons might have meant here?

People want to live in Texas, and this increases the population, and this increases the employment opportunities....BUT....BUT......um.....there's something wrong....um

:lol:

Then why do you keep voting for politicians who enjoy sending your money there?

I was wrong about that one.

In any case..it's the government's role to fund states..

Texas, however, is a "contributor" state.
No, The role of the federal government is not to fund state government.
Each state is responsible for funding itself.
Federal subsidies to states are not necessary. However, the federal government uses federal money to exert control over the states.

Wrong.

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And

Texas is only a welfare state in terms of getting more back from the Federal government then they put in.

That statement is false.

Texas pays more than it receives.
Ezra Klein - The red state ripoff

mapstatestaxes-thumb-454x340-18041.gif

Last edited:

Considering the number of days congress was in session, they would have to pass four energy bills every single time they were in session for two straight years.

I posted all the titles to the bills over in energy under an energy policy thread, so however they did it, they did.

And if anyone has noticed this thread is based on a guess of what may happen in the future, the budget in Texas is every other year, Susan Comb's is stating the deficit is 1.3 billion, I see the estimate is not the same depending on the article I read, 25 billion I have only seen here in this thread, every estimate I see starts at 1.3 billion. Many of the estimates are 11 billion.

Why are all the numbers different. How are the new EPA rules factoring into the estimates. The EPA is enacting Cap and Trade regulations, they were given the power, I think by Obama but I am not sure.

Many questions. Seems to me its the Democrat's policies that are the cause to this problem.

Liberal paradise, destroy Texas with Liberal politics, policies, regulations, and blame the Conservatives.

Liberalism is the cause of the budget deficit in Texas.

The Immortal Tyranny Of #Climate Change GCC News Brief

EPA regulations would technically require permits from any facility that emits more than 100 tons of greenhouse gas annually, but that would include virtually every school and hospital in the country, essentially bringing the economy of the United States to a screeching halt. Realizing it can’t go quite that far, the EPA “tailored” its regulations to hit only industrial facilities and power plants with extra equipment and permit costs. The next stage of the program, due to hit in 2012, could virtually wipe out coal-fired power plants. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, coal-fired plants currently provide forty-five percent of our electric power. Their output increased 8.4% last year, compared to only 0.4% for natural gas plants, which will be the only viable alternative under the crushing burden of greenhouse-gas regulations.
One of the largest consumers of coal-fired electricity is Texas, which rejected the additional costs the Administration plans to dump on them in the name of the global warming religion. The EPA responded by taking control of carbon emission rules away from the state. Texas Governor Rick Perry has vowed to fight back, condemning the regulations as “over-reaching by the federal government that will cripple his state’s economy,” as reported byBusiness Week. A statement from Perry’s office said “the EPA’s misguided plan paints a huge target on the backs of Texas agriculture and energy producers by implementing unnecessary, burdensome mandates on our state’s energy sector, threatening hundreds of thousands of Texas jobs, and imposing increased living costs on Texas families.”
The incoming Republican chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, Fred Upton of Michigan, agrees with Perry’s criticism, calling the new EPA regulations “an unconstitutional power grab that will kill millions of jobs” in a Wall Street Journal editorial. He wants Congress to overturn the greenhouse gas regulations

Looks like more than TransOcean has moved. Between all five corporations moving what would that deficit be had taxes been a one time tax of 10%, when a corporation spends a buck, they should be taxed 10%, one tax, hell they would save millions in Lawyers alone, I bet they could cut dozens of jobs and save a Billion dollars in operating costs.

Anyhow, seems a shame to lose jobs because the government insists on confiscating private property.

Transocean Cut U.S. Tax Bill by $2 Billion in Caymans Move, Magazine Says - Bloomberg

Transocean moved its headquarters to Switzerland in December 2008.

According to the Tax Notes article, Transocean earned $12.8 billion and paid $2.2 billion in taxes since 2000. Had the company earned those profits while paying its old 31.6 percent effective tax rate, the report said, it would have paid $1.9 billion more in taxes.

Its rivals reported similar results, the magazine said. Noble reduced its average tax rate to 17.9 percent from 27.6 percent and saved $678 million after moving to the Cayman Islands. Nabors saved $652 million in tax since its move to Bermuda, and Weatherford saved $923 million

This whole conversation is bullshit. First of all Texas is not a welfare State. Texas, on average receives only .94 cents for every dollar sent to Washington. Texas is a donor State, meaning it is myTexas tax dollars that help make up the budgets for other States.

Second, the whole debate is wrong to begin with. Texas has always followed a limited government, low taxation policy. Nothing has changed in the last 130 years. Our constitution is very restrictive and the State has to justify nearly everything they do by talking the voters into amending the constitution. One of the single largest expenditures the State has is federally mandated social welfare programs, for which we have to carry an unfair burden. These programs were forced on Texans and now we have to find a way to pay for them.

As far as Krugman is concerned he can choke on a fat one. This same smug SOB was telling the world in 2007 that everything was great and gold was going to start flowing out of our asses. He was wrong before and he is just as wrong now. He is a moron. Why anyone listens to him is beyond me. Texas will find a way to close this budget gap, without raising taxes, because any SOB that tries to raise takes is just telling everyone he doesn't plan on seeking re-election.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back