CDZ Telephone companies allow open fraud and abuse!

Hoss, believe me I understand the point. I simply feel that a company, in the service industry should try and serve. Based on the responses up to this point, I am the odd man out! Too bad, as I was hoping for an interesting conversation on ideas and opinions. My bad! Plus I am only 76, a kid. Again, my bad. See you around. :beer:

Well ... there's your problem ... there are no more "service companies" even though they still bill themselves as such. I've even received calls from foreigners claiming to be from the "US Department of Vegetables" wanting money for something. Really? The "do not call" lists are useless - these robocalls are programmed to just go straight down a list of phone numbers - and they're calling from phone center numbers that could be used by many unrelated entities. The simple answer is if you have caller ID - don't answer ANY call from a number you do not recognize. You're certainly aren't obligated to answer your phone just because it rings. These scam artists never leave voicemail messages either ... someone who actually knows you and wants to talk to you will generally leave a courtesy message.

On the other hand, a lot of elders are at risk, so I understand your frustration ... I'm only a couple years behind you in age!!!

Speaking of telephone company's, I received a check in the mail from a class action lawsuit last week that I was apart of but unaware of, It was from prepaid cell phone cards against Verizon, Net 10 , Trac phone on their data plans and ripping customers off.

I received $15 bucks... :)

Speaking of telephone company's, I received a check in the mail from a class action lawsuit last week that I was apart of but unaware of, It was from prepaid cell phone cards against Verizon, Net 10 , Trac phone on their data plans and ripping customers off.

I received $15 bucks... :)

Good for you and them. They get another business related tax deduction and you get a bottle of JDB. In the meantime, they keep all of the profit from bogus calls ripping off the elderly and you piss the JDB down the drain while sporting a hang over. Sweet, sweet,sweet!:boohoo:

Good Day All, the kid is back! :welcome:
Hoss, believe me I understand the point. I simply feel that a company, in the service industry should try and serve. Based on the responses up to this point, I am the odd man out! Too bad, as I was hoping for an interesting conversation on ideas and opinions. My bad! Plus I am only 76, a kid. Again, my bad. See you around. :beer:

Well ... there's your problem ... there are no more "service companies" even though they still bill themselves as such. I've even received calls from foreigners claiming to be from the "US Department of Vegetables" wanting money for something. Really? The "do not call" lists are useless - these robocalls are programmed to just go straight down a list of phone numbers - and they're calling from phone center numbers that could be used by many unrelated entities.

This is going to be odd, because I'm going to defend the phone company, which I generally don't like. Years ago when I first moved into my condo where I am now, I had home phone service. But I paid the extra fees, to have a unlisted, unpublished number. Then I started getting phone solicitations from the phone company itself. AT&T wanted me to sign up for their internet service. I was getting solicitations from the company I was paying extra fees to, specifically to not get solicitations.

Regardless, at the time I didn't have a computer, and explained I don't have a computer, but I will get internet service when I get one. The idiot at AT&T said "well you'll get internet service eventually, why not now?" so after I very directly said "NO" and "I don't have a computer yet" he completely ignored that and tried to talk me into signing up.... Being ignored by the solicitor of the company I was paying extra money to not get solicitations from.

At this point I had a melt down, screamed at the idiot, and told him not only will not sign up, but now I never will, and not only that but I'm canceling my phone service completely. Which I did. I hung up, called AT&T, and canceled on the same day. When I tell you "no", that's a complete sentence, and if you ignore me, there will be consequences.

All that aside....

There are service companies. You are paying for a service. Phone service. Which you are getting. The fact you are complaining about people who call you, is proof you are getting service.

Preventing people from calling you, is not the service they sell. Preventing people from calling you, is called 'canceling service', and I have tested this theory, and proven it true. When you cancel, they don't call anymore.

As for filtering con-artists, and prank, and fraud.... What you are asking for, at this point in time, is completely impossible.

The "do not call" lists work exactly as well as one would expect. They work as well as gun control and drug control. Do not call lists prevent telemarketing firms which follow the law, from calling you. But just like gun and drug laws, people who do not follow the law, don't care about the laws. Similarly people who don't follow the law, don't care about the 'do not call' list.

Everything I'm about to say, is my best understanding of the situation.
Both of you seem to be assuming that the phone company knows exactly who these people are, and is ignoring your complaints about them.

Generally speaking, this isn't true. There are a number of ways to make a phone call legally, which allows the person making the call, to be completely anonymous. First, understand that in African countries, the phone service doesn't operate the same way our phone service does. Some phone numbers, really don't have identification attached to them.

Additionally, in many parts of the world, not just African countries, they have a wide market of pre-paid phones. What this means is, you get a sim-card.

sim-cards-what.jpg

You pop that little thingy into a phone, and it gives the phone a new number, with a pre-paid number of minutes.

The phone company has absolutely no idea who is using that number, and in many cases, where the phone is being used.

Even if you contact the phone company, and they block that specific number, the fraudster will buy a new sim card, with a new phone number, and pop it into their phone, and call you right back.

Additionally, there are services like Skype. Skype allows you to make phone calls from your computer, which you can hide where you are calling from very easily. The phone company doesn't know who is using x computer, and in many cases where the computer is even calling from. The guy living next door to you, could use Skype to connect to a phone system in Africa, and call your house from Africa. The phone company would have no way to do anything.

Lastly, both of you likely have your phone number on a list. A fraud list. There are lists of phone numbers with names that float around in the criminal world all the time. Where do they come from? Hard to say. Back in 2004 Dial America, which Bill Clinton was a "consultant" for, (I wager he was consulting their interns or something), got into big trouble for selling lists of phone numbers, which had "elder", "senile", "Alzheimer" and other lists of people.

But the bottom line is, you are on some criminal fruad list somewhere. How you got on it, doesn't matter anymore. Con-Artists get these lists, and use them to contact people. Even if you blocked 100 of them, there are thousands more that will get these lists, and you'll be called again.

The only way to get off the list is to change your number, or die. As long as they know you are still alive, and have that number, they will keep using it.

Very true, very true. I just came back from grocery shopping. Did you miss me?

Well ... there's your problem ... there are no more "service companies" even though they still bill themselves as such. I've even received calls from foreigners claiming to be from the "US Department of Vegetables" wanting money for something. Really? The "do not call" lists are useless - these robocalls are programmed to just go straight down a list of phone numbers - and they're calling from phone center numbers that could be used by many unrelated entities.

This is going to be odd, because I'm going to defend the phone company, which I generally don't like. Years ago when I first moved into my condo where I am now, I had home phone service. But I paid the extra fees, to have a unlisted, unpublished number. Then I started getting phone solicitations from the phone company itself. AT&T wanted me to sign up for their internet service. I was getting solicitations from the company I was paying extra fees to, specifically to not get solicitations.

Regardless, at the time I didn't have a computer, and explained I don't have a computer, but I will get internet service when I get one. The idiot at AT&T said "well you'll get internet service eventually, why not now?" so after I very directly said "NO" and "I don't have a computer yet" he completely ignored that and tried to talk me into signing up.... Being ignored by the solicitor of the company I was paying extra money to not get solicitations from.

At this point I had a melt down, screamed at the idiot, and told him not only will not sign up, but now I never will, and not only that but I'm canceling my phone service completely. Which I did. I hung up, called AT&T, and canceled on the same day. When I tell you "no", that's a complete sentence, and if you ignore me, there will be consequences.

All that aside....

There are service companies. You are paying for a service. Phone service. Which you are getting. The fact you are complaining about people who call you, is proof you are getting service.

Preventing people from calling you, is not the service they sell. Preventing people from calling you, is called 'canceling service', and I have tested this theory, and proven it true. When you cancel, they don't call anymore.

As for filtering con-artists, and prank, and fraud.... What you are asking for, at this point in time, is completely impossible.

The "do not call" lists work exactly as well as one would expect. They work as well as gun control and drug control. Do not call lists prevent telemarketing firms which follow the law, from calling you. But just like gun and drug laws, people who do not follow the law, don't care about the laws. Similarly people who don't follow the law, don't care about the 'do not call' list.

Both of you seem to be assuming that the phone company knows exactly who these people are, and is ignoring your complaints about them.

Generally speaking, this isn't true. There are a number of ways to make a phone call legally, which allows the person making the call, to be completely anonymous. First, understand that in African countries, the phone service doesn't operate the same way our phone service does. Some phone numbers, really don't have identification attached to them.

Additionally, in many parts of the world, not just African countries, they have a wide market of pre-paid phones. What this means is, you get a sim-card.

View attachment 69838

You pop that little thingy into a phone, and it gives the phone a new number, with a pre-paid number of minutes.

The phone company has absolutely no idea who is using that number, and in many cases, where the phone is being used.

Even if you contact the phone company, and they block that specific number, the fraudster will buy a new sim card, with a new phone number, and pop it into their phone, and call you right back.

Additionally, there are services like Skype. Skype allows you to make phone calls from your computer, which you can hide where you are calling from very easily. The phone company doesn't know who is using x computer, and in many cases where the computer is even calling from. The guy living next door to you, could use Skype to connect to a phone system in Africa, and call your house from Africa. The phone company would have no way to do anything.

Lastly, both of you likely have your phone number on a list. A fraud list. There are lists of phone numbers with names that float around in the criminal world all the time. Where do they come from? Hard to say. Back in 2004 Dial America, which Bill Clinton was a "consultant" for, (I wager he was consulting their interns or something), got into big trouble for selling lists of phone numbers, which had "elder", "senile", "Alzheimer" and other lists of people.

But the bottom line is, you are on some criminal fruad list somewhere. How you got on it, doesn't matter anymore. Con-Artists get these lists, and use them to contact people. Even if you blocked 100 of them, there are thousands more that will get these lists, and you'll be called again.

The only way to get off the list is to change your number, or die. As long as they know you are still alive, and have that number, they will keep using it.

I guess "service companies" lies in one's definition of the term. Telephone companies do provide A service, that being telecommunication; many corporations provide other services and/or products. But when I say there are no "service companies," I mean what's set out in this new commercial where the guy is saying "Representative? Representative?" These companies do not provide services in terms of human communication ... without a fight. If you have a question about something you get "Welcome ... if you are calling about [whatever] press 1, ... press 2, ... ... ... press 8, if you want to hear the menu again, press 9." That's all well and good if I want nothing more than to check an account balance on a credit care - but if I have a REAL question ... I've got to deal with whatever "press #" that is most closely related to my question and THEN I have to deal with another layer of "press #" to reach a computer response that STILL doesn't have an answer ... and after going through several layers "press # hell" IF I finally reach an "offer" to speak with a representative, I get, "Due to an unexpected volume of calls your call will be answered in order of receipt; your expected wait time is 45 minutes ... ." (That's because the company doesn't want to hear from the customer and/or there is only one or two representatives in the first place). IF I'm lucky to actually get a representative without much ado, I'll get "Ah so, this Ching Chang, how I may help you;"" Allo, my name ... Jose Jiminez ... " or God forbid I get an Indian - they can't speak English, period. On top of that most representatives don't know a thing about their company or its products/services and are reading script off a "cheat sheet."

Am I the only person on this thread who goes through this shit???? I rarely call with questions ... but when I do call, I want a knowledgeable person giving me a sane and correct answer. THAT's what I mean when I say there are no more service companies.

Granny, I hope you don't feel you will get an argument from me, I amso IR. You will not! All of this disservice came about as an out growth of the computer and sand (silicone). Some of us, very few, remember when you asked an operator to connect you with Cider 286. That was service. Now, I suppose allowing some street rat bilk you out of a thousand bucks is considered service. In spite of the many reasons (cop outs) I have seen in all of the above posts, the one implication I read in this thread is, that most feel it is the person who is called is the party responsible for the rip off. The injured party is the problem. Now that is truly ironic! I predict a wonderful future for the youngsters. May God help them as they are going to need it.

Today I received another threat involving my being sued, over the telephone. I am aware that if one is being sued, they do not receive a call, from a distant area code with an ID of "line not in use". However that is not my complaint. My complaint is, why do communications companies, rolling in money and desiring my patronage, allow this to happen? They know who is doing these acts and where the calls originate from and yet claim they are helpless to stop the calls. It seems to me that todays computers should be able to keep track of these calls and stop them. I am certain there are many program formulating businesses and individuals who have the ability to write the programs to do exactly that. Why then, has it not been done? As I stated, I ignore the calls as often as possible. If someone wants to sue me, have a court appointed officer serve me or send me a registered letter outlining the problem. Other wise, kiss my Alpha Sierra Sierra! But again, I stray! What are the communications compianes afraid of, that they stick their collective heads in the sand and cross their legs at the same time? Where are the customer service representative folks within these companies? I personally would love to have a button, on my phone, that would send a horrifying loud trans mission back to the sender which would melt the equipment on their end of the phone. There must be some thing in the world of electronics which would cause the sender the discomfort we as call receivers feel upon receiving a crank call! Would someone help me out? And please, don't tell me to contact my carrier as they are more difficult to contact than the criminal. Qwest put's a customer through more hoops than the offender. If the FBI can crack the Apple I Phone then a call from the Caribbean should be a piece of cake. What say you? One point, stay on topic. This post is about the phone companies refusal to intercept crank calls, nothing else!

I say that I believe/think you are a mess. I don't think that because you're annoyed with the calls you're getting; you have every right to be annoyed with the calls. I think it because you are placing the blame and burden for stopping them with the wrong organizations. You are lashing out at the organizations/industry that is somewhat familiar to you and that you find most easy to hold responsible rather than directing your concern, perhaps ire, toward the organizations that are (1) the cause of the calls, and (2) able to do something about it.

Just how would you propose that a phone company distinguish between what you consider to be a "crank call" from a legitimate call based solely on the source of the call?

What you are complaining about is the methods an organization uses to generate revenue. The phone company has nothing to to do with that. The phone company provides a service, namely the means by which distant parties can communicate.

Your issue is rightly taken up with the message and message originator, not with the carrier of the message. If there's any domestic organization that you should reach out to, it's your jurisdiction's attorney general, your elected state, local and federal representatives, the FCC, perhaps the Department of Commerce, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, the FBI, or Office of Cybersecurity and Telecommunications at DHS.

Were I faced with such a nuisance, I'd, as needed, call my city councilman and then my U.S. Representative. It doesn't even matter if they are the right place to call. They asked for my money, and got it; they asked for my vote, and got it, so the least they can do in return is help me get a resolution or find out what I must do and whom I must contact to get one. But even if I didn't support or vote for them, as the representative in office, they nonetheless have an obligation to help me, and they will, or it'll become very public that they did not do so in any meaningful way. I don't necessarily mean they have to have an immediate solution, but they do need to be helpful in at least one of the ways I described in the prior sentence.

It's true that the phone companies can't distinguish scam calls from friendly calls and they can't control the situation. If I've learned something from watching forensics type shows, it's that some of these calls are routed and rerouted all over the place to prevent detection of actual locality.

Tell you what, I amso IR, I can have a sort of wierd sense of humor sometimes. It may sound lunitic but have you ever considered going to some store - Walmart, a police/military surplus place, a sporting goods store ... I don't know ... maybe even checking to see if that Duck Dynasty show has an online store. Buy yourself a nice whistle. When you get one of these SSC calls (in our world of acronyms that would be a Scam Scum Call), very calmly, but firmly and slowly say, "DO ... NOT ... CALL ... THIS ... NUMBER ... AGAIN. Take a deep breath and blow the damned whistle as hard and loud and long as you can and hang up. IR - you've gotta know these people are hooked up to either a headset or an earpiece - they're too busy using their hands with other mischief. If the calls persist, don't give them the "courtesy" of a verbal warning - just blast the whistle.

Scam artists of whatever kind have no character - and that's THEIR problem and only they can fix it.

Today I received another threat involving my being sued, over the telephone. I am aware that if one is being sued, they do not receive a call, from a distant area code with an ID of "line not in use". However that is not my complaint. My complaint is, why do communications companies, rolling in money and desiring my patronage, allow this to happen? They know who is doing these acts and where the calls originate from and yet claim they are helpless to stop the calls. It seems to me that todays computers should be able to keep track of these calls and stop them. I am certain there are many program formulating businesses and individuals who have the ability to write the programs to do exactly that. Why then, has it not been done? As I stated, I ignore the calls as often as possible. If someone wants to sue me, have a court appointed officer serve me or send me a registered letter outlining the problem. Other wise, kiss my Alpha Sierra Sierra! But again, I stray! What are the communications compianes afraid of, that they stick their collective heads in the sand and cross their legs at the same time? Where are the customer service representative folks within these companies? I personally would love to have a button, on my phone, that would send a horrifying loud trans mission back to the sender which would melt the equipment on their end of the phone. There must be some thing in the world of electronics which would cause the sender the discomfort we as call receivers feel upon receiving a crank call! Would someone help me out? And please, don't tell me to contact my carrier as they are more difficult to contact than the criminal. Qwest put's a customer through more hoops than the offender. If the FBI can crack the Apple I Phone then a call from the Caribbean should be a piece of cake. What say you? One point, stay on topic. This post is about the phone companies refusal to intercept crank calls, nothing else!

I say that I believe/think you are a mess. I don't think that because you're annoyed with the calls you're getting; you have every right to be annoyed with the calls. I think it because you are placing the blame and burden for stopping them with the wrong organizations. You are lashing out at the organizations/industry that is somewhat familiar to you and that you find most easy to hold responsible rather than directing your concern, perhaps ire, toward the organizations that are (1) the cause of the calls, and (2) able to do something about it.

Just how would you propose that a phone company distinguish between what you consider to be a "crank call" from a legitimate call based solely on the source of the call?

What you are complaining about is the methods an organization uses to generate revenue. The phone company has nothing to to do with that. The phone company provides a service, namely the means by which distant parties can communicate.

Your issue is rightly taken up with the message and message originator, not with the carrier of the message. If there's any domestic organization that you should reach out to, it's your jurisdiction's attorney general, your elected state, local and federal representatives, the FCC, perhaps the Department of Commerce, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, the FBI, or Office of Cybersecurity and Telecommunications at DHS.

Were I faced with such a nuisance, I'd, as needed, call my city councilman and then my U.S. Representative. It doesn't even matter if they are the right place to call. They asked for my money, and got it; they asked for my vote, and got it, so the least they can do in return is help me get a resolution or find out what I must do and whom I must contact to get one. But even if I didn't support or vote for them, as the representative in office, they nonetheless have an obligation to help me, and they will, or it'll become very public that they did not do so in any meaningful way. I don't necessarily mean they have to have an immediate solution, but they do need to be helpful in at least one of the ways I described in the prior sentence.

320, you talk like a man, who has "people" who take his calls and shield him from all sorts of common day experience. Not simply what you have stated here but from other posts I have read which you have been involved with. The fact that the avatar you post, nice watch by the way, attempts to portray "well to do" and that you have taken pains to speak towards the family members who are doing well and that your are a guardian(?) of a young man you have taken in, so to speak. That coupled with the fact your location is Washington and you freely throw around your your city council and US Representative further reinforces my thought you may even be mover and shaker who has no real understanding of the life lived on the other side of the tracks, so to speak.

"If there's any domestic organization that you should reach out to, it's your jurisdiction's attorney general, your elected state, local and federal representatives, the FCC, perhaps the Department of Commerce, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, the FBI, or Office of Cybersecurity and Telecommunications at DHS"

I disagree. Were I the first case or even the 100th case perhaps. This sort of crime is way beyond local and Federal government. The fact that Government in general has not taken action, as is the case in so many other problems, informs me that "Government" is the basic problem. Since "Government has already failed in serving the public" it stands to reason the the problem should shift to those who are responsible for allowing the problem to exist. You say I should take up the problem with those causing the problem, the criminal. If the vaunted government cannot identify them, how do you suggest I do that? No, the phone and communications industry is the responsible agency for that mission.

Were I faced with such a nuisance, I'd, as needed, call my city councilman and then my U.S. Representative. It doesn't even matter if they are the right place to call. They asked for my money, and got it; they asked for my vote, and got it, so the least they can do in return is help me get a resolution or find out what I must do and whom I must contact to get one. But even if I didn't support or vote for them, as the representative in office, they nonetheless have an obligation to help me, and they will, or it'll become very public that they did not do so in any meaningful way. I don't necessarily mean they have to have an immediate solution, but they do need to be helpful in at least one of the ways I described in the prior sentence.[/QUOTE]

Were you faced with such a nuisance I have no doubt you would tell the proper folks you will not support them in upcoming elections should they not give you satisfaction. But then again that is why "your people" screen your calls". You know 320, the more I reflect, why don't you simply play in your world and leave the "rest" of us to make it on our own? Take care of what you own and have and most of all, keep your secure world to yourself. You are of no substance to the real world and the everyday human being. Would that I could simply meet one of the street rat causing the problem, at the proper time and place. Why don't you call one of your bidness cohorts and ask him to help lessen the calls? Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Come on 320, be my hero even tho "I am a mess." 320, also, stop being a "dolt". It does not become one of you're status and position.

Look, despite my criticisms of your remarks, in good faith, and unlike many folks on here who will chastise one and deride one's thoughts or comments while offering nothing at all that addresses the actual matter at hand, I did chide your approach to solving the problem and I offered you my actionable suggestions on how to begin the process of obtaining a resolution. Try them or don't.

my thought you may even be mover and shaker who has no real understanding of the life lived on the other side of the tracks, so to speak.

You are mistaken.

This sort of crime

What exactly is the criminal offense you have in mind and would like to see the perpetrators charged with?

You say I should take up the problem with those causing the problem, the criminal.

Actually, no, I don't and didn't say you should take up the matter with the perpetrator of the calls.

If the vaunted government cannot identify them, how do you suggest I do that? No, the phone and communications industry is the responsible agency for that mission....Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I presume from your remarks you have reached out to the government units and individuals I suggested and got some sort of reply. Whom and what did they say? Surely you ventured to do that much on your own behalf?

Were you faced with such a nuisance I have no doubt you would tell the proper folks you will not support them in upcoming elections should they not give you satisfaction.

I certainly would not say that, or anything like it, to them. I am not the sort of person to make threats, especially when I'm not certain of what may come that may make my threats become empty, or worse, untrue.

If they asked me directly whether their not doing something to help me -- as I said, I don't require they solve the problem, although if they can, great....I just require that they help me in some way eventually get to a solution -- would engender my opposition in their next electoral race, I'd answer truthfully that it would not in and of itself do so. Whether I'd support their upcoming election would depend on whether they have an opponent whom I think is better suited to the job. I don't have to get my way to recognize that the incumbent person may yet be the better choice.

The fact that the avatar you post, nice watch by the way, attempts to portray "well to do"...

TY. The only thing I'm portraying by my avatar is that I'm a hobbyist watch collector. I note as much on the Information page of my profile. It's a somewhat uncommon watch and I don't expect anyone other than other collectors to recognize it, especially given the poor detail in the photo. I have other hobbies too. I may at some point switch my avatar again to depict one of them.

The fact that Government in general has not taken action, as is the case in so many other problems, informs me that "Government" is the basic problem....Since "Government has already failed in serving the public" it stands to reason the the problem...

That one may see the government in general as having failed the people and being among the causes of some/all of the problems our country faces, does not in any rational way indicate it and its functionaries are incapable or unwilling to address your specific problem.

• Well, as asked above, whom have you contacted to seek a resolution?
  • Are calls of the nature you describe common enough that some organ/arm of the government knows about them? What is the gov'ts' stated position about them? I don't know. You seemingly do. I'm asking you to point me to the government's statements about it.
  • As I asked earlier, just what do you want the phone company to do, and how do you propose they do it? I'm asking because, as I stated before, I don't see any way for the phone company to know that a call originating from any given location is one of an "untoward" nature. If the calls originate outside the U.S., just who do you expect to put a tap on the line so as to gather evidence for a criminal case outside the U.S. or in the U.S? I'm reasonably certain the CIA, NRO, NSA and other gov't units like them aren't going to consider this matter within their purview. If you can make a credible case that the calls are harmful to national security, however, they likely would.

If the vaunted government cannot identify them, how do you suggest I do that? No, the phone and communications industry is the responsible agency for that mission.

Under what auspices and authority?

Oh my, one seems to have struck a nerve, has one not? However it is nice to have the original 320 back. Structured response as opposed to blather is far more constructive. I would imagine the title of my post could be considered my charge(s) against the communications industry. As "Ma Bell" introduced a flawed system, "Ma Bell" is responsible. General Motors little problem with ignition keys and ignition switches come to mind. Another would involve numerous different brands of automobile child restraint seats.

Under what auspices and authority? "Aiding and abetting" in the act of crime seems reasonable. Theft of monies is a crime, last I heard. Auspices, concern for my fellow man, a commodity in short supply.

As I asked earlier, just what do you want the phone company to do, and how do you propose they do it?

Since the communications industry developed and adapted the system, they it stands to reason, should be responsible for altering the system where found unreliable.

Well, as asked above, whom have you contacted to seek a resolution?

You, my fine feathered friend, you.

In you're original post you did state that my issue is "best taken up" with the " message and message originator". That seemed to me that you felt I should confront "the message originator". I must have been in error.

Aside from the facts, the implication that I personally have not taken the necessary steps to solve this ongoing problem, you are absolutely correct. As there have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities and communications industry, another attempt would prove fruitless as all previous have. It is with that reason in mind that I condemned the communications industry on the USMB. Simply blathering on the blather board. They should feel free to respond in your place however. But then, why should the communications folks inflame the boil they harbor?

Nice talking to you 320, look forward to doing it again. And again, nice watch! I assume the ax has been ground?

All that aside....

View attachment 69838

I guess "service companies" lies in one's definition of the term. Telephone companies do provide A service, that being telecommunication; many corporations provide other services and/or products. But when I say there are no "service companies," I mean what's set out in this new commercial where the guy is saying "Representative? Representative?" These companies do not provide services in terms of human communication ... without a fight. If you have a question about something you get "Welcome ... if you are calling about [whatever] press 1, ... press 2, ... ... ... press 8, if you want to hear the menu again, press 9." That's all well and good if I want nothing more than to check an account balance on a credit care - but if I have a REAL question ... I've got to deal with whatever "press #" that is most closely related to my question and THEN I have to deal with another layer of "press #" to reach a computer response that STILL doesn't have an answer ... and after going through several layers "press # hell" IF I finally reach an "offer" to speak with a representative, I get, "Due to an unexpected volume of calls your call will be answered in order of receipt; your expected wait time is 45 minutes ... ." (That's because the company doesn't want to hear from the customer and/or there is only one or two representatives in the first place). IF I'm lucky to actually get a representative without much ado, I'll get "Ah so, this Ching Chang, how I may help you;"" Allo, my name ... Jose Jiminez ... " or God forbid I get an Indian - they can't speak English, period. On top of that most representatives don't know a thing about their company or its products/services and are reading script off a "cheat sheet."

Am I the only person on this thread who goes through this shit???? I rarely call with questions ... but when I do call, I want a knowledgeable person giving me a sane and correct answer. THAT's what I mean when I say there are no more service companies.

And that's all true. The problem there is simply cost of labor. Think about it... would you like to pay someone $30,000 a year, to sit at a computer, playing videos games all day long, waiting for the phone to ring, and then tell someone "yes you have a balance due of $35 on your account. Have a nice day".?

And yes, it's about $30,000 a year, to pay someone $20,000, when you include all the taxes and fees and required benefits. And this for a job where the person is unskilled, and largely untrained, reading from a script (I know I did this job for a short time).

On top of that, it is very difficult to get people to do the job. This is one of the worst jobs as far as timing, because when they need you, is when everyone is off work. Hard to get high school and college students to work, when all of their friends are off work. You have to work weekends, evenings, and holidays. That's when customers are off, and are likely to call customer service. So that's when you need to be working.

The call center where I worked, there were hundreds of people. Phones were staffed night and day. 100 people, times 3 shifts, times $30,000 a year, and you end up with $9 Million dollars in wages paid out, to have people answer the phone and read a script.

The cost of labor is too high for "Yes, you have a balance of $39 on your credit card".

So companies are looking for any possible way to reduce the number of people they need. From having as much of your account information accessible on the internet, to having automatic phone prompts to give you the info you need that way, to outsourcing to India.

If you want personalized service, I'd suggest you buy services from small local companies. But small local companies are expensive. Yet then you get personalized service. That's why it costs more.

The Unites States Postal Service is another example of "you're" small business. They originated working days, nights, weekend and holiday since the mail moves at night primarily. The job pays well considering what the employees endure and that is the reason. For you I have to suppose the delivery of the mail happens by magic. Simply drop it in a box and it appears elsewhere. The cost of labor is what the market will bear and it is that simple, no matter the job. Are you content with the business not sharing profit with the labor?

Since the communications industry developed and adapted the system, they it stands to reason, should be responsible for altering the system where found unreliable.

The way I see it, the telecom industry delivers exactly what they promise to deliver: a means by which distant parties can, for a fee, communicate reliably. Your issue is with the content being communicated, not the service that enables the communication, which is what the telecom industry provides.

In you're original post you did state that my issue is "best taken up" with the " message and message originator". That seemed to me that you felt I should confront "the message originator". I must have been in error....]You, my fine feathered friend, you [suggested I take up the matter with the maker of the calls].

You're right. I'd forgotten I wrote that. Sorry for not remembering.

I see, looking back at your OP, that you have no way to initiate contact with the originator of the calls, so that's a dead route for seeking a solution.

As there have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities and communications industry, another attempt would prove fruitless as all previous have.

Insofar as there (per you, you remarks on the matter are the first I'm hearing of this specific thing occurring) "have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities," what is the official response of those authorities? If indeed numerous folks have reached out to the appropriate agencies, bureaus and departments, there's no way "radio silence" is all they've responded with...keeping in mind that what's "numerous" to you and me may not constitute "numerous" for the organization in question. They do, after all, have to respond to literally hundreds of millions of citizens and constituents.

If executive branch officials/administrators in fact have been completely silent in response to specific requests of them for action of some sort, reaching out to your elected representatives is the next step you should pursue.

All that aside....

View attachment 69838

And that's all true. The problem there is simply cost of labor. Think about it... would you like to pay someone $30,000 a year, to sit at a computer, playing videos games all day long, waiting for the phone to ring, and then tell someone "yes you have a balance due of $35 on your account. Have a nice day".?

And yes, it's about $30,000 a year, to pay someone $20,000, when you include all the taxes and fees and required benefits. And this for a job where the person is unskilled, and largely untrained, reading from a script (I know I did this job for a short time).

On top of that, it is very difficult to get people to do the job. This is one of the worst jobs as far as timing, because when they need you, is when everyone is off work. Hard to get high school and college students to work, when all of their friends are off work. You have to work weekends, evenings, and holidays. That's when customers are off, and are likely to call customer service. So that's when you need to be working.

The call center where I worked, there were hundreds of people. Phones were staffed night and day. 100 people, times 3 shifts, times $30,000 a year, and you end up with $9 Million dollars in wages paid out, to have people answer the phone and read a script.

The cost of labor is too high for "Yes, you have a balance of $39 on your credit card".

So companies are looking for any possible way to reduce the number of people they need. From having as much of your account information accessible on the internet, to having automatic phone prompts to give you the info you need that way, to outsourcing to India.

If you want personalized service, I'd suggest you buy services from small local companies. But small local companies are expensive. Yet then you get personalized service. That's why it costs more.

Oh, you're right. I understand what you're saying - it is costs of labor. Yet, unions continue to demand more and more and higher and higher, which lead to corporate costs far and beyond the cost of labor; and I think it's probably also true that America has higher business tax rates than a lot of other countries, in spite of all the "deductions" they get for various other expenses of doing business. It's never-ending. I think I probably should have stated earlier that it would be nice if there were two initial offerings: 1. If you would like to use our automated system, press 1; 2. If your issue requires representative service, press 2. I don't know. Maybe there are no answers!

Maybe I'm just too old for all this automation and now, now, now! My first job a week after graduating from high school was as a long distance operator and we had to know what the hell we were doing. We never knew when we were being monitored ... so it was in our best interest to be courteous, on our toes, and helpful at all times. I made $52 a week base pay, plus time and a half for overtime, double time for holidays, shift differential for split shifts requiring night hours after a certain time or working the 11pm to 7am night shift - back then, really good pay for a kid just out of high school. It may sound like "peanuts," but I was making a lot more than a lot of other high school grads who were not college bound, so working in a dime store or department store as a cashier. And after union people came to my home and roughed up my mother - I REFUSED to join the CWA union and promised myself I would never join a union ... and I didn't.

The way I see it, the telecom industry delivers exactly what they promise to deliver: a means by which distant parties can, for a fee, communicate reliably. Your issue is with the content being communicated, not the service that enables the communication, which is what the telecom industry provides.

In you're original post you did state that my issue is "best taken up" with the " message and message originator". That seemed to me that you felt I should confront "the message originator". I must have been in error....]You, my fine feathered friend, you [suggested I take up the matter with the maker of the calls].

I see, looking back at your OP, that you have no way to initiate contact with the originator of the calls, so that's a dead route for seeking a solution.

As there have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities and communications industry, another attempt would prove fruitless as all previous have.

Insofar as there (per you, you remarks on the matter are the first I'm hearing of this specific thing occurring) "have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities," what is the official response of those authorities? If indeed numerous folks have reached out to the appropriate agencies, bureaus and departments, there's no way "radio silence" is all they've responded with...keeping in mind that what's "numerous" to you and me may not constitute "numerous" for the organization in question. They do, after all, have to respond to literally hundreds of millions of citizens and constituents.

If executive branch officials/administrators in fact have been completely silent in response to specific requests of them for action of some sort, reaching out to your elected representatives is the next step you should pursue.

??? Did you mistakenly reply with no words? Am I to take it that your wordless reply indicates you are done discussing the matter with me?

Forum List

Back