CDZ Telephone companies allow open fraud and abuse!

Since the communications industry developed and adapted the system, they it stands to reason, should be responsible for altering the system where found unreliable.

The way I see it, the telecom industry delivers exactly what they promise to deliver: a means by which distant parties can, for a fee, communicate reliably. Your issue is with the content being communicated, not the service that enables the communication, which is what the telecom industry provides.

Since the communications industry developed and adapted the system, they it stands to reason, should be responsible for altering the system where found unreliable.

The way I see it, the telecom industry delivers exactly what they promise to deliver: a means by which distant parties can, for a fee, communicate reliably. Your issue is with the content being communicated, not the service that enables the communication, which is what the telecom industry provides.

In you're original post you did state that my issue is "best taken up" with the " message and message originator". That seemed to me that you felt I should confront "the message originator". I must have been in error....]You, my fine feathered friend, you [suggested I take up the matter with the maker of the calls].

You're right. I'd forgotten I wrote that. Sorry for not remembering.

I see, looking back at your OP, that you have no way to initiate contact with the originator of the calls, so that's a dead route for seeking a solution.

As there have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities and communications industry, another attempt would prove fruitless as all previous have.

Insofar as there (per you, you remarks on the matter are the first I'm hearing of this specific thing occurring) "have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities," what is the official response of those authorities? If indeed numerous folks have reached out to the appropriate agencies, bureaus and departments, there's no way "radio silence" is all they've responded with...keeping in mind that what's "numerous" to you and me may not constitute "numerous" for the organization in question. They do, after all, have to respond to literally hundreds of millions of citizens and constituents.

If executive branch officials/administrators in fact have been completely silent in response to specific requests of them for action of some sort, reaching out to your elected representatives is the next step you should pursue.

In you're original post you did state that my issue is "best taken up" with the " message and message originator". That seemed to me that you felt I should confront "the message originator". I must have been in error....]You, my fine feathered friend, you [suggested I take up the matter with the maker of the calls].

I see, looking back at your OP, that you have no way to initiate contact with the originator of the calls, so that's a dead route for seeking a solution.

As there have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities and communications industry, another attempt would prove fruitless as all previous have.

Insofar as there (per you, you remarks on the matter are the first I'm hearing of this specific thing occurring) "have been numerous complaints by numerous people to the numerous authorities," what is the official response of those authorities? If indeed numerous folks have reached out to the appropriate agencies, bureaus and departments, there's no way "radio silence" is all they've responded with...keeping in mind that what's "numerous" to you and me may not constitute "numerous" for the organization in question. They do, after all, have to respond to literally hundreds of millions of citizens and constituents.

If executive branch officials/administrators in fact have been completely silent in response to specific requests of them for action of some sort, reaching out to your elected representatives is the next step you should pursue.

Good Day 320. I would have to think, the communications folks never imagined that fraud abuses, outright theft, would become a staple of the devices they offer. However, as that has been the case I would also think they would have an interest in securing the system. Personally, were my firm or name associated with theft, I would want it to be cleansed. I have to feel that Apple is going to spend time and money to overcome the fact that the FBI has broken it's security in it's product. Again, the very fact that their phones are being used to commit fraud against unsuspecting persons should take on a like meaning. I admit, people should be far more discerning when the phone is involved, rather than believing what they hear and responding without thinking. However, some times some folks simply trust but do not verify, older folks in particular. I am surprised you are not aware of the situation I mention. At least in my State, Colorado, it has been of interest for months now. TV news mentions it often and offer assistance to those who have been affected by giving interviews and the address of parties, the affected folks can contact. True, is the fact you mention, "They do, after all, have to respond to literally hundreds of millions of citizens and constituents". From my point of view, that is all the more reason for communications to be more proactive. With reference to reaching out to my elected representatives. I did that on an unrelated matter two weeks ago. I received a response yesterday, in the mail. The subject of my representatives response was health issues and my query to him referred to airplanes. That is fact 320! Based upon that fact alone, perhaps big business should take a little more interest in the product line they offer. Or perhaps they rely on that state of affairs!

It has been good speaking with Sir. I appreciate your approach, line of thought, although may question your faith, if that is the proper term, in Government and large corporations. I wish you a palatable day and look forward to reading future posts you may offer. Thank you for your time.

I amso IR

P.S. I dropped a line to Mr. Bill O'Reilley of FOX fame. In summation I asked him, "What say you" Bill? After sending the email, much later, I realized I had forgotten the "town" portion of "name and town' after trying so hard to not bloviate. Perhaps he will be forgiving, yuk yuk.

??? Did you mistakenly reply with no words? Am I to take it that your wordless reply indicates you are done discussing the matter with me?

??? Did you mistakenly reply with no words? Am I to take it that your wordless reply indicates you are done discussing the matter with me?
No, I screwed it up. You should have something by now, even if you feel it poppycock!

Today I received another threat involving my being sued, over the telephone. I am aware that if one is being sued, they do not receive a call, from a distant area code with an ID of "line not in use". However that is not my complaint. My complaint is, why do communications companies, rolling in money and desiring my patronage, allow this to happen? They know who is doing these acts and where the calls originate from and yet claim they are helpless to stop the calls. It seems to me that todays computers should be able to keep track of these calls and stop them. I am certain there are many program formulating businesses and individuals who have the ability to write the programs to do exactly that. Why then, has it not been done? As I stated, I ignore the calls as often as possible. If someone wants to sue me, have a court appointed officer serve me or send me a registered letter outlining the problem. Other wise, kiss my Alpha Sierra Sierra! But again, I stray! What are the communications compianes afraid of, that they stick their collective heads in the sand and cross their legs at the same time? Where are the customer service representative folks within these companies? I personally would love to have a button, on my phone, that would send a horrifying loud trans mission back to the sender which would melt the equipment on their end of the phone. There must be some thing in the world of electronics which would cause the sender the discomfort we as call receivers feel upon receiving a crank call! Would someone help me out? And please, don't tell me to contact my carrier as they are more difficult to contact than the criminal. Qwest put's a customer through more hoops than the offender. If the FBI can crack the Apple I Phone then a call from the Caribbean should be a piece of cake. What say you? One point, stay on topic. This post is about the phone companies refusal to intercept crank calls, nothing else!

for Robo calls - buy one of these. Amazon.com : TeleZapper TZ 900 : How To Get Rid Of Sales Calls : Electronics
  • Helps automatically remove your phone number from telemarketing lists
  • Covers all phones and answering machines on the same line
  • Doesn't interfere with normal calls and telephone functions
  • Advanced 3-tone operation tells predictive dialing computers your number is disconnected
  • Built-in battery, no AC adapter required

your faith, if that is the proper term, in Government and large corporations.

It's not that I have or lack faith in either. It's that I will give either the opportunity to "do right by me" before I set out to "shame" them or "guilt" them into doing so. Were I either the phone company or the government, I'd want a customer/constituent to reach out to me with their specific issue before they engage in lambasting me in a public forum.

the devices they offer

??? Are we discussing a phone company as a service provider and issues you've been having with the communications service they deliver, or are we talking about a phone or other company that produces and sells tangible goods, namely phones?

were my firm or name associated with theft, I would want it to be cleansed.

I'm guessing you aren't the owner (or part owner) of a firm. Companies/people go into a line of business (or several of them) with the aim of offering something -- goods, services or both -- specific. The scope of what they are in business to do is limited to that scope. There are some things a business must do that is unrelated directly to the scope of whatever they are in business to do, but what you are griping about with regard to telephone service, I can assure you, is not within the scope of what a telephone service provider aims to sell. Whether you like it or not, businesses cannot make money by expanding their scope beyond what they are established and purposed on doing.

Now you have several options:
  • You can solicit recourse from the phone company, your government or interested and willing to help third parties.
  • You can canvas the available telecom service providers to see if any of them share your views of what their obligations are and are not. If you find one, you can switch to that one.
  • You can, at your discretion, opt not to answer calls from unidentified or unfamiliar sources.
  • You can lobby your legislators to enact laws that force the scope you desire into the ambit of what telecom service providers must do.
Now I don't care which of those options you pursue, but there is way to go about doing so, and "slut shaming" the phone company or your elected officials (government) on a public forum before you've given them the opportunity to address your specific/personal issue isn't it. That approach may make you feel better or something, but what real results has it gotten you?

the very fact that their phones are being used to commit fraud against unsuspecting persons should take on a like meaning.

Device producers and sellers are under no obligation to do anything about how their phones are used provided they are used for the functional purpose for which they were built. As go telecom device and service providers, that functional purpose is, for a fee, to enable clear, reliable communication between two or more parties across distances, short and long.

TV news mentions it often and offer assistance to those who have been affected by giving interviews and the address of parties, the affected folks can contact.

Perhaps then you should reach out to your TV news station seeing as it's already offered to assist folks with issues similar to the one you've identified. Indeed, given that it has, I'm wondering all the more why you're discussing this here and have only now mentioned the matter of the TV station's having so offered. That they have and you've not yet mentioned having availed yourself of their assistance (or tried to) is quite surprising to say the very least.

Presumably, you are referring to KKTV 11's Call for Action team. Why have you not called them? Their phone number is listed on their webpage that discusses the matter. If you did call them, what about their response do you find unsatisfactory?

I did that on an unrelated matter two weeks ago. I received a response yesterday, in the mail. The subject of my representatives response was health issues and my query to him referred to airplanes. That is fact 320!

I can't address anything having to do with what happened in the course of that correspondence without having heard yours and their specific remarks.

If/when you tell me you've called/written to your government officials who are the folks best positioned to do something about the problem (not via some damn webpage form, but rather by sending a proper letter via "snail mail" and following up with a phone call), and then shared the details of your discussions, can I have much to say about anything.

big business should take a little more interest in the product line they offer.

Depending on how strongly you believe that, the lobbying action approach I suggested above may be what best serves achieving your objectives. That's not say you'll get what you want, but there isn't much alternative short of your running for office yourself and then acting to achieve your objective.

Other:
You'll recall I said I think you a mess in my first post. I really haven't altered my view in that regard, beyond determining that you are polite mess, (and for that I thank you) most especially seeing as in literally 5 seconds I was able to find these Internet instructions on how to handle fake debt collectors and law suit scammers:
In light of your not having shared that you've followed any of the suggestions found there, one of which is reach out to your attorney general for assistance (that's the very first suggestion I also indicated), I'm of a mind to conclude that griping here is more what you want to accomplish than is an actual resolution to the problem.

Were I totally honest, griping would be my primary thrust. Having admitted that, the more I have been vocal, the more strongly about the issue I have become. You mention a certain TV station. I have reached out to them. Fine folks but the information faulty as it resulted dead ends. To remedy that I plan to talk with them again. For now I have a accumulation of possible help which I need to sit down, read, digest and sort into a possible an actionable thought. And considering we have been at this for only what, 48 hours, intermittently, I doubt that even your esteemed self, operating without your entourage, would have done much more. Unless, of course, you chew bubble gum and walk at the same time, and that would not surprise me with the exception of the bubble gum part.

I envy your sons, I was in the parent less class from age ten to present and much to my own credit, have not wasted my life. Certainly I have spent my life working for others. I tired of guardian care and on my seventeenth birthday I enlisted in the United States Army. Here I am today, retired, twice, and married for 53 years. For this reason it angers me off when some individual desires to rip off the elderly. And I say with all honesty, were I able, ......, nuff said. Suffice it to say, I would love them to death!

Ok, enough of the love talk. Again, you have offered much advice and I will study the same. As far as being a mess/polite mess, that is the second time you have used that particular term. Try to find another! Should you not be able, well, should we correspond further, simply forget it!

And never forget the motto, Keep on keeping on, and when all else fails, "fix bayonets and charge".

With Respect

Tim

Today I received another threat involving my being sued, over the telephone. I am aware that if one is being sued, they do not receive a call, from a distant area code with an ID of "line not in use". However that is not my complaint. My complaint is, why do communications companies, rolling in money and desiring my patronage, allow this to happen? They know who is doing these acts and where the calls originate from and yet claim they are helpless to stop the calls. It seems to me that todays computers should be able to keep track of these calls and stop them. I am certain there are many program formulating businesses and individuals who have the ability to write the programs to do exactly that. Why then, has it not been done? As I stated, I ignore the calls as often as possible. If someone wants to sue me, have a court appointed officer serve me or send me a registered letter outlining the problem. Other wise, kiss my Alpha Sierra Sierra! But again, I stray! What are the communications compianes afraid of, that they stick their collective heads in the sand and cross their legs at the same time? Where are the customer service representative folks within these companies? I personally would love to have a button, on my phone, that would send a horrifying loud trans mission back to the sender which would melt the equipment on their end of the phone. There must be some thing in the world of electronics which would cause the sender the discomfort we as call receivers feel upon receiving a crank call! Would someone help me out? And please, don't tell me to contact my carrier as they are more difficult to contact than the criminal. Qwest put's a customer through more hoops than the offender. If the FBI can crack the Apple I Phone then a call from the Caribbean should be a piece of cake. What say you? One point, stay on topic. This post is about the phone companies refusal to intercept crank calls, nothing else!

for Robo calls - buy one of these. Amazon.com : TeleZapper TZ 900 : How To Get Rid Of Sales Calls : Electronics
  • Advanced 3-tone operation tells predictive dialing computers your number is disconnected
Thank you Ben. I will have to look into this. Thanks again.

It's a little over 20 dollars, IamsoIR. I bought one for my uncle who was getting telemarketer calls day and night. After he installed the TeleZapper? He never got another unwanted phone call from a stranger (or robot) again. He was amazed that it worked so well. It actually reports your phone number (to them) as disconnected.

Now if it is a person who is trying to harass you by falsely reporting that you are in legal trouble (that's against the law) and will be sued - you set up your answering machine to record their call - wait until your answer machine picks up first and you hear the beeps - THEN answer your phone and say these words - You are breaking the law - this is harassment - I have asked you not to call here - you may contact me by mail and if you call here again -I will press charges against you. Have I made myself clear? When they reply yes, hang up. Now you've got them on record.

I remember a story about a person who was getting obscene phone calls at night. The person bought a police whistle and when the phone stalker called again - they blew the whistle into the telephone receiver as hard as they could. It busted the guys ear drum and he tried to sue. I don't believe he was ever able to prove how his ear drum was broken. By bringing the lawsuit - he revealed his identity and it went downhill from there. Criminals can be amazingly stupid!

Unless, of course, you chew bubble gum and walk at the same time, and that would not surprise me with the exception of the bubble gum part.

I don't chew gum. You got that right. I am capable of multitasking.

I have a accumulation of possible help which I need to sit down, read, digest and sort into a possible an actionable thought. And considering we have been at this for only what, 48 hours, intermittently, I doubt that even [you] would have done much more.

I'm glad you have actionable suggestions as to how to proceed.

I don't have the problem you do. I would have written/called the D.C. Attorney General's office as my first course of action.

Were I totally honest, griping would be my primary thrust. Having admitted that, the more I have been vocal, the more strongly about the issue I have become.
Red:
Okay. Well, you've accomplished that.

Blue:
Unfortunately, your resolve re: the merit of your position about what be the onus of the phone company to control and monitor how subscribers use the service they provide isn't going to effect a solution to your specific problem.

Unless, of course, you chew bubble gum and walk at the same time, and that would not surprise me with the exception of the bubble gum part.

I have a accumulation of possible help which I need to sit down, read, digest and sort into a possible an actionable thought. And considering we have been at this for only what, 48 hours, intermittently, I doubt that even [you] would have done much more.

I don't have the problem you do. I would have written/called the D.C. Attorney General's office as my first course of action.

Were I totally honest, griping would be my primary thrust. Having admitted that, the more I have been vocal, the more strongly about the issue I have become.
Red:

Blue:
Unfortunately, your resolve re: the merit of your position about what be the onus of the phone company to control and monitor how subscribers use the service they provide isn't going to effect a solution to your specific problem.

the avatar you post, nice watch by the way

TY. The only thing I'm portraying by my avatar is that I'm a hobbyist watch collector. I note as much on the Information page of my profile. It's a somewhat uncommon watch and I don't expect anyone other than other collectors to recognize it, especially given the poor detail in the photo. I have other hobbies too. I may at some point switch my avatar again to depict one of them.

Just for you, I changed the avatar to reflect two of my hobbies and make the watch type somewhat less obvious. :D

Red:

Blue:

Perhaps/perhaps not. Suppose the industry already has the ability to protect users? Would they not be culpable of allowing a crime while possessing the ability to prevent the same? I am not as well versed as you, however I seem to recall something along those lines. Absolutely, I would need to make an official complaint, but once having done so, would not the official agency be required to respond?

Red:

Blue:

Perhaps/perhaps not. Suppose the industry already has the ability to protect users? Would they not be culpable of allowing a crime while possessing the ability to prevent the same? I am not as well versed as you, however I seem to recall something along those lines. Absolutely, I would need to make an official complaint, but once having done so, would not the official agency be required to respond?

Red:
I'm going to assume that's supposed to be a statement and not a question.

Blue:
Whether they would or would not depends on a number of things, including but not limited to:
  • the nature and extent of "protection" a specific provider, not a whole industry, can provide
  • the nature and location of the alleged crime's occurrence
  • the nature of the laws regarding criminal and civil culpability
The full details of your circumstance are unknown to me, so I can't say in that regard. Just considering the general situation as I understand it to exist today re: phone service providers and users, no, there's no culpability on the part of the service provider.

Green:
If you make an official complaint to a governmental agency/unit, they are required to respond to your complaint. It is not required that their response be an actual solution, or be the solution you desire; however, if they can respond with a solution to your specific problem, they will respond indicating as much.

It's a little over 20 dollars, IamsoIR. I bought one for my uncle who was getting telemarketer calls day and night. After he installed the TeleZapper? He never got another unwanted phone call from a stranger (or robot) again. He was amazed that it worked so well. It actually reports your phone number (to them) as disconnected.

Now if it is a person who is trying to harass you by falsely reporting that you are in legal trouble (that's against the law) and will be sued - you set up your answering machine to record their call - wait until your answer machine picks up first and you hear the beeps - THEN answer your phone and say these words - You are breaking the law - this is harassment - I have asked you not to call here - you may contact me by mail and if you call here again -I will press charges against you. Have I made myself clear? When they reply yes, hang up. Now you've got them on record.

I remember a story about a person who was getting obscene phone calls at night. The person bought a police whistle and when the phone stalker called again - they blew the whistle into the telephone receiver as hard as they could. It busted the guys ear drum and he tried to sue. I don't believe he was ever able to prove how his ear drum was broken. By bringing the lawsuit - he revealed his identity and it went downhill from there. Criminals can be amazingly stupid!

Please accept my apology for calling you Ben. May I use Jerry? The immediate answer to the problem is using the tool you have suggested or something comparable. The morning, very early, I woke with a jolt! What you were describing was what the communications company"s have already developed to tell you that you have reached an unlisted or unused number. I was not aware that it triggered a response from the callers robot in that it canceled the number. The three tones you hear prior to hearing the recording informing you that you have dialed an invalid number have to be the same as the machine from Amazon generate. That then triggers the response. It stands to reason that, that system could also be used to defeat crank or harmful calls. The technology is already available and in place. Of course it would operate under some what different parameters but could be adapted do the job. Jerry, thank you so much for following along and reading my conversations with others. That is one more use for this (USMB) type of communications, helping, not harming others. Stay in touch Sir, you have made my day! Thank you, again.

Please accept my apology for calling you Ben. May I use Jerry? The immediate answer to the problem is using the tool you have suggested or something comparable. The morning, very early, I woke with a jolt! What you were describing was what the communications company"s have already developed to tell you that you have reached an unlisted or unused number. I was not aware that it triggered a response from the callers robot in that it canceled the number. The three tones you hear prior to hearing the recording informing you that you have dialed an invalid number have to be the same as the machine from Amazon generate. That then triggers the response. It stands to reason that, that system could also be used to defeat crank or harmful calls. The technology is already available and in place. Of course it would operate under some what different parameters but could be adapted do the job. Jerry, thank you so much for following along and reading my conversations with others. That is one more use for this (USMB) type of communications, helping, not harming others. Stay in touch Sir, you have made my day! Thank you, again.
Your welcome! You can call me whatever you wish - Jeri is fine. The zapper should solve your problems - as you say there are several built in features and it is going to eliminate the problem of crank callers as well. I have a different approach for my own home phone - it is outside and all messages go to answer machine - later my husband screens them and unless I have a call from a family member or someone from my church (which is still family), I never hear about it. I rarely use a telephone.

I like USMB of all the various social media - twitter included. I get the best gift ideas from Isaac Newton member - he's always on the cutting edge of new products that are useful and clever. His christmas gift of a Himalayan Salt block was brilliant. The fuel-less lighter is his latest big find. Each person brings something different!

Your welcome! You can call me whatever you wish - Jeri is fine. The zapper should solve your problems - as you say there are several built in features and it is going to eliminate the problem of crank callers as well. I have a different approach for my own home phone - it is outside and all messages go to answer machine - later my husband screens them and unless I have a call from a family member or someone from my church (which is still family), I never hear about it. I rarely use a telephone.

I like USMB of all the various social media - twitter included. I get the best gift ideas from Isaac Newton member - he's always on the cutting edge of new products that are useful and clever. His christmas gift of a Himalayan Salt block was brilliant. The fuel-less lighter is his latest big find. Each person brings something different!

I certainly wish you well. It simply galls me to see unsavory types stealing from some of the most vulnerable folks such as aged seniors. I am no spring chicken but have been blessed with a fairly solid mind, although my wife of 53 years questions the same, at times. My conversations with "320 Years Of History" have been enlightening. 320 seems very well versed in many areas. He pushes my buttons at times, and it causes mild burn at times, but for some reason he seems genuine to me. That is a "my bad" for my part, but I live with it. I have been told, more than once, I tend to walk on the edge and frankly would have it no other way. The view from the edge, can at times, be breath taking! In any event, my gratitude for your input and understanding cannot be stated. Your self along with 320's input have given new life to my thinking. Phfunnie, how that happens. Have a wonderful day, and should you see me acting foolishly, do what I am certain you do best. Best regards, dd

the avatar you post, nice watch by the way

TY. The only thing I'm portraying by my avatar is that I'm a hobbyist watch collector. I note as much on the Information page of my profile. It's a somewhat uncommon watch and I don't expect anyone other than other collectors to recognize it, especially given the poor detail in the photo. I have other hobbies too. I may at some point switch my avatar again to depict one of them.

Just for you, I changed the avatar to reflect two of my hobbies and make the watch type somewhat less obvious. :D

"Just for me"? How thoughtful! To think, little old me had such an impact! To be again honest, your particular style and thinking come through quite clearly and are in no need of photographic support. Not that it bothers be, I am quite at ease with persons such as yourself and enjoy conversing with the same, especially when they seem genuine. FYI, I absolutely detest nautical vehicles, with the exception of large, purpose built, vessels such as those useful in defense or industry. Otherwise, in general terms they are the original waste, of sorts.

"Just for me", I am agog!

I am currently going through our conversations. I finally feel I have some meat to support my argument and will be using it. Thanks to Jeri in this thread, I am now aware of a current application which the "Industry" could use to attempt to enforce a policy aiding against the illegal use of communications facilities and equipment. Being somewhat slower than someone such as yourself, it may take me a few hours or days to put together my proposal to the FCC, but I shall do it. Feel free to review this thread to learn more about the topic. It has been right in front of my nose the whole time but needed Jeri to wake me up from a sound sleep and realize the same.

OK, enough for now. I prefer the older avatar as it had class and status. The boat and navigators watch, chronograph I believe it is,are so ordinary. I will stay in touch. Oh and, I find it interesting that you were able to nail the city, television station and program. You must honestly have super "folks".See you around, Tony.

P.S I also changed my Avatar, yesterday. I hope you approve. Printed at the bottom are the words, "I find this preposterous". Only Daffy could pull that off.

Last edited:
Your self along with 320's input have given new life to my thinking.

Glad to have been of some help. I hope you obtain a solution that suits you. It seems between Jeremiah's and my remarks you have the tools you need to do so.

my wife of 53 years

You've been married for 53 years? If so, that's quite unusual for someone of your age and origins. It's most certainly a characteristic that makes you a more interesting individual than many other folks.

your particular style and thinking come through quite clearly and are in no need of photographic support.

Red:
Thank you.

Blue:
Well, really as goes my avatar imagery, I doubt it's a good representation of how I think. Perhaps I'll provide a photo that does at some point, but not likely. I'm okay with letting my words do that; infact in writing is among my preferred means of conveying how and what I think.

FWIW, the photo below is probably what I would choose were my thoughts what I wanted to capture in a picture.

balance_1212130.jpg

The Romans, another culture I admire, found it quite useful, as did others. Another topic for another day. There is so much useful beauty on this planet. Beauty in and of it's self is "skin deep" ugly however, for the lack of a better anaology, "is to the bone". That is of course if you allow for diversion of topic and meaning. I have never forgotten the basic's of effective writing. Have a thesis and then go where ever you wish as long as you support that thesis. On the street that quite simply means, don't be predicable but rather clever.

Rough draft. If you wish, suggest changes. Info only.

TO: Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20554

CC: The Wireless Association

1400 16th Street, NW Suite 20036

Washington, DC 20036

Subject: Telephone Companies Allow Open Fraud and Abuse

To Whom it may Concern;

I posted a comment on the United States Message Board (USMB) with the above title. I did so as a result of the current fraudulent calls, taking place within the Continental United States and I assume Possessions, which state the call are:

From The Internal Revenue Service

That the called party is subject to law suit

That should the call receiver wish to avoid a court date that the called party should pay an monetary amount as stated by the caller.

This injustice which affects primarily the elderly population needs immediate attention and resolution by proper authority, which to this point seems not forth coming.

My intent in writing this letter is to provide some thought on this unjust matter as it is my opinion that the telecommunications industry is responsible for the safety, security and policing of it's programs as much as General Motors is for a faulty ignition switch, or a child restraint seat manufacturing company is responsible for a faulty seat.

That any firm offering services or goods is free of liability for that service or goods is a thing of the past, as we see in court settlements daily. That standard is not of my doing but rather society in general.

Elderly citizens are affected by phone fraud almost daily. The matter I am addressing involves using the Internal Revenue Service title as a means of frightening unthinking senior citizens into paying for non existing law suits which are cruel and harmful.

To make matters worse, currently a system or systems which could be adapted by the communications industry are available on the open market. Why then, has the communications industry failed to adapt that resource? One such system is the Tele Zapper TZ 900, sold on Amazon.com for $29.00. The system uses that which appears to be the same or similar three tone system which phone service companies use to identify and alert callers to unlisted / canceled / unused numbers. Why must a subscriber be forced to purchase a product which is already in use or a similar product? Not only is this simply bad business in my opinion but in of of itself, abuse. It is time for service, complete service, to be put back into “service”.

I look forward to hearing from those concerned with in the Federal Communications Commission and from within The Wireless Association why the industry in general considers this topic in general, not of their concern. This is step one, in what I hope will truly not be a damaging and drawn out affair. It is not my intent to sully but rather rectify. I ask you to help me do just that.

Respectfully

Daffy

cc: The Wireless Association

Last edited:
The Romans, another culture I admire, found it quite useful, as did others. Another topic for another day. There is so much useful beauty on this planet. Beauty in and of it's self is "skin deep" ugly however, for the lack of a better anaology, "is to the bone". That is of course if you allow for diversion of topic and meaning. I have never forgotten the basic's of effective writing. Have a thesis and then go where ever you wish as long as you support that thesis. On the street that quite simply means, don't be predicable but rather clever.

Rough draft. If you wish, suggest changes. Info only.

TO: Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20554

CC: The Wireless Association

1400 16th Street, NW Suite 20036

Washington, DC 20036

Subject: Telephone Companies Allow Open Fraud and Abuse

To Whom it may Concern;

I posted a comment on the United States Message Board (USMB) with the above title. I did so as a result of the current fraudulent calls, taking place within the Continental United States and I assume Possessions, which state the call are:

From The Internal Revenue Service

That the called party is subject to law suit

That should the call receiver wish to avoid a court date that the called party should pay an monetary amount as stated by the caller.

This injustice which affects primarily the elderly population needs immediate attention and resolution by proper authority, which to this point seems not forth coming.

My intent in writing this letter is to provide some thought on this unjust matter as it is my opinion that the telecommunications industry is responsible for the safety, security and policing of it's programs as much as General Motors is for a faulty ignition switch, or a child restraint seat manufacturing company is responsible for a faulty seat.

That any firm offering services or goods is free of liability for that service or goods is a thing of the past, as we see in court settlements daily. That standard is not of my doing but rather society in general.

Elderly citizens are affected by phone fraud almost daily. The matter I am addressing involves using the Internal Revenue Service title as a means of frightening unthinking senior citizens into paying for non existing law suits which are cruel and harmful.

To make matters worse, currently a system or systems which could be adapted by the communications industry are available on the open market. Why then, has the communications industry failed to adapt that resource? One such system is the Tele Zapper TZ 900, sold on Amazon.com for $29.00. The system uses that which appears to be the same or similar three tone system which phone service companies use to identify and alert callers to unlisted / canceled / unused numbers. Why must a subscriber be forced to purchase a product which is already in use or a similar product? Not only is this simply bad business in my opinion but in of of itself, abuse. It is time for service, complete service, to be put back into “service”.

I look forward to hearing from those concerned with in the Federal Communications Commission and from within The Wireless Association why the industry in general considers this topic in general, not of their concern. This is step one, in what I hope will truly not be a damaging and drawn out affair. It is not my intent to sully but rather rectify. I ask you to help me do just that.

Respectfully

Daffy

cc: The Wireless Association

I haven't read it yet, but one change I can recommend: double-space between paragraphs or single space throughout and use indentation to demark paragraphs.

My specific and general suggestions are:
  • Ask for something specific. Failing to do that makes is little other your making it hard for them to help you, if for no other reason than they just can't tell exactly what it is you want from them other than a letter in reply. It's not clear from the letter you posted what it is you specifically want the FCC to do.

FWIW, I suspect that what you'll get in response to your letter as written is a reply indicating that you should take up the matter with your attorney general's office (and perhaps your elected representatives), which, as a matter of fact, is to whom I think you should send your first "official" letter regarding the matter at hand.
    • If you want the FCC to take a specific action, or set thereof, ask for that action(s).
    • If you want the FCC to, absent being able to perform the action you request, ask for an explanation of why they cannot perform it and ask for, if it suits you to do so, what would have to exist/take place in order for them to be able to perform the action you request and that they cannot currently perform.
    • If you want the FCC to give you information of some specific sort, ask for information, describing as best you can what info you want.
Trust me...We may not always get what we ask for, but we only by luck receive that which we don't ask for and do yet want. Everyone who buys a lottery ticket understands that. I presume you do too.​
  • Edit your remarks so that they are direct and clear.
    • Consider your audience and tailor the content of your letter to the recipient. Among other things, that means that requests for legislation should go to legislators, requests for punitive action should go to executive branch officials, general remarks about "what's wrong with 'this or that'" and about "what should, in your opinion, be vs. what should not be" can be sent to lobbying organizations and legislators, requests for information can be sent to any and/or all of the above, and so on....
    • State what happened.
    • State facts that you can prove or show to have actually occurred, and include the proof in the letter, either by reference to credible documentation or by credited quotation.
    • Cite and discuss only events that have occurred to you and/or specific other individuals whom you will name or at least specifically identify if not by name, limit your remarks to what happened to you.

I posted a comment on the United States Message Board (USMB) with the above title.

Delete this remark. It's irrelevant to any official to whom you send the letter. There is either something they can and will do, or there is not. Whom you choose to discuss the matter with aside from the official doesn't matter to them and isn't going to motivate them to do something or not. On the other hand, it might (though not likely) make them search USMB for your other remarks, in which case, I hope (because I don't recall any other than the ones in this thread)

a result of the current fraudulent calls, taking place within the Continental United States and I assume Possessions,

Fraudulent:
That's not for you to determine or assert. That is the attorney general's job to assert and prove. Annoying is as far as you can credibly go.

Taking place in...:
If you can show the calls originate and are recieved in the U.S., you'll need to show that much (or be prepared to do so if you are asked). From what you've shared here, at the most, you know the calls are received in the U.S. "Taking place in the U.S." means originating and received in the U.S. Be clear and be precise in order to receive the best feedback from your audience, the recipients of the letter.

Being clear and precise doesn't mean you'll get the best possible feedback, but it does mean that not getting it will not have been due to your own shortfall in accuracy and precision re: your contributions to the "conversation," and thereby gives you a "leg to stand on" if you later feel obliged to "bitch and moan" about whatever feedback you receive.

I have some other remarks, but I have no more time to further discuss your letter just now. Will provide them on what will for you be tomorrow, if then isn't too late to do. Just let me know....

Forum List

Back