Teens can't have their cell phone at Camp?

Call CPS STAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid, some camps don't want teens to be "plugged in" to technology while at camp.

How the hell did the rest of us mangage when we went to camp back in the pioneer days anyway?

Teens panic as they’re forced to unplug at camp - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Kids today are really spoiled. When I was a kid, the monkey bars were fourteen feet high over a slap of cement and if you fell and your head wasn't cracked open, your parents would just send you back to the monkey bars. Today they are 5 feet high over an 8 inch slab of foam.

Better even, have you read abour schools that have banned dodge ball, and do not allow running at recess?

And avoid competitive games or don't keep score?

Where is the fun of winning?

You miss the direction of my post. I'm not guessing at your expertise, nor experience. I'm suggesting that you have none of either.

Just, it appears, a deep hurt over something about which I have no involvement.

Your response to a hypothetical is far too emotion-laden to be a passing opinion.

I hope it's something you are able to deal with.

Do ... your kids ... know fire is hot ... and that it hurts?

Do...you know...that parents...love...their children?

That's not answering the question. There is more to love than suffocation. Now, either admit you are not for teaching children how to live, or answer the question.

Do the kids know that fire is hot and that it hurts?

Do ... your kids ... know fire is hot ... and that it hurts?

That's not answering the question. There is more to love than suffocation. Now, either admit you are not for teaching children how to live, or answer the question.

Allow me to answer a question with a question. Do...you know...that water...is wet?

It's become clear that the only the possible explanation for these silly questions, is that you despise your parents for how they raised you: don't take it out on me.

Allow me to answer a question with a question. Do...you know...that water...is wet?

It's become clear that the only the possible explanation for these silly questions, is that you despise your parents for how they raised you: don't take it out on me.

Um, duh, anyone who has touched it, felt it, and bathed in it knows its wet, which pretty much makes my point. They don't know it's hot, they don't know it hurts, until they touch it. Yes, to be a good parent you have to let the kids get hurt, or when they get older and wonder about it again, they will do serious damage. You have to learn to learn, and technology doesn't teach that, life does, period. How do I know about learning? Try writing an AI sometime, you have to learn how to teach a machine how to learn when it can't experience the world around it (well, until recently that is). It was the second largest road block in pure AI development.

I can understand where kids these days are choosing not to go to camp because they will not be able to use their cell phone.

When I was a kid, I chose not to go to camp because the cell phone had not been invented yet, and I didn't want to be away from home without one.

Um, duh, anyone who has touched it, felt it, and bathed in it knows its wet, which pretty much makes my point. They don't know it's hot, they don't know it hurts, until they touch it. Yes, to be a good parent you have to let the kids get hurt, or when they get older and wonder about it again, they will do serious damage. You have to learn to learn, and technology doesn't teach that, life does, period. How do I know about learning? Try writing an AI sometime, you have to learn how to teach a machine how to learn when it can't experience the world around it (well, until recently that is). It was the second largest road block in pure AI development.

Thank you for demonstrating that you have a firm grip on the obvious.

Thank you for demonstrating that you have a firm grip on the obvious.

So, then you admit you have to let them experience life in order to learn, well, at least you are learning.

Amanda, you can live without the cell phone for a week. Perhaps that's what you should give up for Lent, just to prove that you can. It will open up a whole new world for you.

Um... I'm not going to summer camp, I'm a grown up.

And everyone in favor of kids not having a cell at camp should give up their car for a week, just to prove they can. Sounds asinine when it would be YOUR inconvenience, doesn't it? The fact is it's a lack of trust and a need to control on the part of adults. I noticed no one wanted to defend their own "helicopter" behavior... not surprising.

Amanda, I know what you are saying, my 'kids' are the same age approximately as you. The kids I teach, eh, they are crazy that school won't allow their cells in class.

What I think you are missing, when you are texting, snapping pics, reading messages via internet, you are not interacting with those around you-you are in 'your world.' Like the board, many are virtual friends, which is not the same as classmates, camp mates, or friends/family your sitting with, not conversing with while dealing with phone or computers. That was the point, I believe.

None of the people I call, text or send pics to are virtual friends, they are all actual people I know. It takes 10 seconds to send a text or snap a pic and send it, I don't think I miss much of the real world by having real interactions with real people that I really know, just because that person isn't really present.

And why wouldn't campers use their cells to communicate with each other? you know, stuff like coordinate meeting for lunch or which activities to sign up for. I know how fast the world moves is scary for a lot of you, but we grew up in it and we have devised strategies for dealing with it. It doesn't make any sense to take away a tool we've come to depend on to experience a reality that isn't going to be the 1 we return to. Just like in my last post where I suggested giving up your car to prove you could... why would you do that? There's no value in such an exercise unless you intend to become car-less for the rest of your life.

I'm giving up on this topic and unsubbing from the thread. Have fun continuing to not get it and make fun of what you don't understand. I'm done.

Amanda, I know what you are saying, my 'kids' are the same age approximately as you. The kids I teach, eh, they are crazy that school won't allow their cells in class.

What I think you are missing, when you are texting, snapping pics, reading messages via internet, you are not interacting with those around you-you are in 'your world.' Like the board, many are virtual friends, which is not the same as classmates, camp mates, or friends/family your sitting with, not conversing with while dealing with phone or computers. That was the point, I believe.

None of the people I call, text or send pics to are virtual friends, they are all actual people I know. It takes 10 seconds to send a text or snap a pic and send it, I don't think I miss much of the real world by having real interactions with real people that I really know, just because that person isn't really present.

And why wouldn't campers use their cells to communicate with each other? you know, stuff like coordinate meeting for lunch or which activities to sign up for. I know how fast the world moves is scary for a lot of you, but we grew up in it and we have devised strategies for dealing with it. It doesn't make any sense to take away a tool we've come to depend on to experience a reality that isn't going to be the 1 we return to. Just like in my last post where I suggested giving up your car to prove you could... why would you do that? There's no value in such an exercise unless you intend to become car-less for the rest of your life.

I'm giving up on this topic and unsubbing from the thread. Have fun continuing to not get it and make fun of what you don't understand. I'm done.

Um ... this whole post had me wondering ... have you ever been to camp? I mean real camp, not the "dress up in cute little uniforms and sit around making crafts" camp, actual camp, where you sleep in an unheated, unairconditioned, cabin on a slightly padded bunk "cot" with grilled foods on an open fire at night, camp?

Um ... this whole post had me wondering ... have you ever been to camp? I mean real camp, not the "dress up in cute little uniforms and sit around making crafts" camp, actual camp, where you sleep in an unheated, unairconditioned, cabin on a slightly padded bunk "cot" with grilled foods on an open fire at night, camp?

Since she's unsubscribed, I've been to "dress up in cute little uniforms and sit around making crafts camp," I've been to "sleep in an unheated, unairconditioned military tent" camp, I've been to "pitch a tent in the wilderness" camp, I've been to "build your own makeshift shelter in the middle of the forest" camp, and I've been to "sleep in an open field at night" camp. I didn't regard compulsion as a necessary element of any of them. ;)

Since she's unsubscribed, I've been to "dress up in cute little uniforms and sit around making crafts camp," I've been to "sleep in an unheated, unairconditioned military tent" camp, I've been to "pitch a tent in the wilderness" camp, I've been to "build your own makeshift shelter in the middle of the forest" camp, and I've been to "sleep in an open field at night" camp. I didn't regard compulsion as a necessary element of any of them. ;)

My father would take the whole family to the "pitch a tent, gather your own food, and cook it" camping trips all the time, I loved those. Went on a canoe trip down the Columbia River to, one week, got a sun burn from hell from that. Damn I miss those days, can't afford it right now, taking the time off would be devastating really, but just traveling to the nearest public grounds (that is actually in the wild) right now would cost too much.

Do primitive camping (spot o pots) folk festivals spent drunk on beer count? Oh, I was in my 20's not a kid; still count?

Amanda, you can live without the cell phone for a week. Perhaps that's what you should give up for Lent, just to prove that you can. It will open up a whole new world for you.

And everyone in favor of kids not having a cell at camp should give up their car for a week, just to prove they can. Sounds asinine when it would be YOUR inconvenience, doesn't it? The fact is it's a lack of trust and a need to control on the part of adults. I noticed no one wanted to defend their own "helicopter" behavior... not surprising.

I wouldn't mind giving up my car for a week. Fact is, I walk a lot of places and if I'm going into Seattle, I take the bus rather than drive.

I think you could survive for a week without a cellphone.

I was just without my car for two weeks; hubby rear-ended the guy in front of him :rolleyes: and his car was in the shop getting fixed. Gasp, I survived!

I wouldn't mind giving up my car for a week. Fact is, I walk a lot of places and if I'm going into Seattle, I take the bus rather than drive.

I think you could survive for a week without a cellphone.

Hell, I've never owned or driven a car, and I've been across the country ... pre-cellphone addictions.

Forum List

Back