Teens can't have their cell phone at Camp?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by random3434, May 20, 2009.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    The horror.

3. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
  4. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    It's a different world than you guys grew up in. You can't understand it so you make fun of it. If you have a cell phone do you ever leave the house without it on purpose? I don't know anyone any age that doesn't have a cell and doesn't get at least mildly panicky if they forget it somewhere. Maybe you remember the "good ol' days" before everyone had them, but we grew up with them. Many of us use our phones for a LOT more than just making a phonecall now and then, it's part of nearly everything we do. We're in near constant contact with our friends and families sending texts and pics and videos and updating Facebook. I think we have better, more meaningful relationships with our friends because of it. And it's not like learning to do without it for a week or 2 is of much value, the technology isn't going away.

5. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    That's great that you think you have better, more meaningful relationships because of your cell phone.

This is about not having a cell phone at camp for a week or two. If they are really your friends, I think they would understand, and still be your friend when you come home, even though you couldn't text them for a week or two, eh?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I'm sure they would, but I think you missed my point. I could go to camp with my right arm tied down and learn to everything with my left but it isn't necessary, and I'm not learning a meaningful new skill. I would have a lot better time at camp if I could take pics and upload them to Facebook to show my friends what I'm doing, and I would want to see what they were doing if they went. All kinds of things will be forgotten in 2 weeks, but not if you can share them. I'm sure it all sounds really stupid to you, but it's not to us. It's how we stay connected to each other. I don't get the "LULZ poor babies" attitude. How does it hurt anyone? If it's so terrible why doesn't everyone who feels that way throw their phone away? I kinda doubt we'll see that happen.

7. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Again, this is about teens not being able to live without technology for a week or two at camp.

Funny, I have pictures from when I went to a camp in Colorado for mountain climbing, and I took it with a camera! Back in the olden days that's what we geezers used to take pics with!

Nowhere does it say they want to take your cell phone away from you permanently, it's about being at a CAMP for a week or two.

8. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    When you go to camp you go to have real life experiences, not to remain digitally plugged in.

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    more meaningfull relationships.......ya right....

i watched this young hip plugged in couple have a nice romantic dinner the other night.....

the texted and or spoke on their phones the entire time not once speaking to each other and ordered their food by pointing after waving off the specials.....

yep .... meaningful ......

not to mention no one takes the time to reflect on who they are or if they even like themselves as they are too busy being connected.....

i have never met so many people who are so uncomfortable in their own skin.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  10. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,046
    It sounds kind of silly. Just as a safety issue, every child should be allowed to have a cell phone. Pay phones are almost non-existent now. I would say skip the camp, if they don't allow cell phones. I'm sure there are others that have more reasonable rules.