Teens can't have their cell phone at Camp?

It's a different world than you guys grew up in. You can't understand it so you make fun of it. If you have a cell phone do you ever leave the house without it on purpose? I don't know anyone any age that doesn't have a cell and doesn't get at least mildly panicky if they forget it somewhere. Maybe you remember the "good ol' days" before everyone had them, but we grew up with them. Many of us use our phones for a LOT more than just making a phonecall now and then, it's part of nearly everything we do. We're in near constant contact with our friends and families sending texts and pics and videos and updating Facebook. I think we have better, more meaningful relationships with our friends because of it. And it's not like learning to do without it for a week or 2 is of much value, the technology isn't going away.

It's a different world than you guys grew up in. You can't understand it so you make fun of it. If you have a cell phone do you ever leave the house without it on purpose? I don't know anyone any age that doesn't have a cell and doesn't get at least mildly panicky if they forget it somewhere. Maybe you remember the "good ol' days" before everyone had them, but we grew up with them. Many of us use our phones for a LOT more than just making a phonecall now and then, it's part of nearly everything we do. We're in near constant contact with our friends and families sending texts and pics and videos and updating Facebook. I think we have better, more meaningful relationships with our friends because of it. And it's not like learning to do without it for a week or 2 is of much value, the technology isn't going away.

That's great that you think you have better, more meaningful relationships because of your cell phone.

This is about not having a cell phone at camp for a week or two. If they are really your friends, I think they would understand, and still be your friend when you come home, even though you couldn't text them for a week or two, eh?

That's great that you think you have better, more meaningful relationships because of your cell phone.

This is about not having a cell phone at camp for a week or two. If they are really your friends, I think they would understand, and still be your friend when you come home, even though you couldn't text them for a week or two, eh?

I'm sure they would, but I think you missed my point. I could go to camp with my right arm tied down and learn to everything with my left but it isn't necessary, and I'm not learning a meaningful new skill. I would have a lot better time at camp if I could take pics and upload them to Facebook to show my friends what I'm doing, and I would want to see what they were doing if they went. All kinds of things will be forgotten in 2 weeks, but not if you can share them. I'm sure it all sounds really stupid to you, but it's not to us. It's how we stay connected to each other. I don't get the "LULZ poor babies" attitude. How does it hurt anyone? If it's so terrible why doesn't everyone who feels that way throw their phone away? I kinda doubt we'll see that happen.

I'm sure they would, but I think you missed my point. I could go to camp with my right arm tied down and learn to everything with my left but it isn't necessary, and I'm not learning a meaningful new skill. I would have a lot better time at camp if I could take pics and upload them to Facebook to show my friends what I'm doing, and I would want to see what they were doing if they went. All kinds of things will be forgotten in 2 weeks, but not if you can share them. I'm sure it all sounds really stupid to you, but it's not to us. It's how we stay connected to each other. I don't get the "LULZ poor babies" attitude. How does it hurt anyone? If it's so terrible why doesn't everyone who feels that way throw their phone away? I kinda doubt we'll see that happen.

Again, this is about teens not being able to live without technology for a week or two at camp.

Funny, I have pictures from when I went to a camp in Colorado for mountain climbing, and I took it with a camera! Back in the olden days that's what we geezers used to take pics with!

Nowhere does it say they want to take your cell phone away from you permanently, it's about being at a CAMP for a week or two.

more meaningfull relationships.......ya right....

i watched this young hip plugged in couple have a nice romantic dinner the other night.....

the texted and or spoke on their phones the entire time not once speaking to each other and ordered their food by pointing after waving off the specials.....

yep .... meaningful ......

not to mention no one takes the time to reflect on who they are or if they even like themselves as they are too busy being connected.....

i have never met so many people who are so uncomfortable in their own skin.....

Last edited:
Call CPS STAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid, some camps don't want teens to be "plugged in" to technology while at camp.

How the hell did the rest of us mangage when we went to camp back in the pioneer days anyway?

Teens panic as they’re forced to unplug at camp - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

It sounds kind of silly. Just as a safety issue, every child should be allowed to have a cell phone. Pay phones are almost non-existent now. I would say skip the camp, if they don't allow cell phones. I'm sure there are others that have more reasonable rules.

Heaven forbid, some camps don't want teens to be "plugged in" to technology while at camp.

How the hell did the rest of us mangage when we went to camp back in the pioneer days anyway?

It sounds kind of silly. Just as a safety issue, every child should be allowed to have a cell phone. Pay phones are almost non-existent now. I would say skip the camp, if they don't allow cell phones. I'm sure there are others that have more reasonable rules.

Hmmm ... two things, ever hear of a radio? Also, that's what camp coordinators are for.

Really? Did you ever go to camp as a kid? I know they didn't have cell phones back then, so what did they do if a child got hurt and they had to contact the parents?

Meh ... I grew up with pagers, cell phones, and the Internet and I think this is pretty asinine myself.

Really? Did you ever go to camp as a kid? I know they didn't have cell phones back then, so what did they do if a child got hurt and they had to contact the parents?

rotary-phone.jpg

they used the "landline". what a concept!

anyone who thinks it onerous to deprive a kid of their cell/ipod/gameboy/ whatever for one or two weeks is way past fucked in the head, imo.

Emergency contact info: just select "Mom and Dad" from junior's contact list and hit "Ok"

Don't camps require the parents to provide emergency contact info?

yeah, they do. all camps have medical staff, at least an RN sometimes an MD.

i used to go to summer camp in my early teens. my dad would drop me off july 1 and pick me up labor day weekend. we'd send each other these things called "letters" and my parents would occasionally send care packages so i could gorge on candy and warm soda with my friends.

traumatic, indeed.

Forum List

Back