Teens can't have their cell phone at Camp?

Hey, I fell off the monkey bars when I was 7 and did involuntary splits, which tore the ligaments in my inner thighs. I couldn't walk for 2 days! A teacher had to pick me up from the ground.

Thank goodness our monkey bars were on a sand playground, with woodchips under them.

haha my playground was sand/natural grass and dirt the new ones I've seen are some kind of rubber mulch. BOING!! Kids go bouncing right back up from falls.

None of the playgrounds near me have a merry-go-round because they're too dangerous. Man I remember some good times puking off the side of that thing. A shame that kids wont get to have that experience today.

really, today's kids are so soft, it isn't funny.

No big tall slides, no swings, no merry go rounds....no fun.

Hey, I fell off the monkey bars when I was 7 and did involuntary splits, which tore the ligaments in my inner thighs. I couldn't walk for 2 days! A teacher had to pick me up from the ground.

Thank goodness our monkey bars were on a sand playground, with woodchips under them.

haha my playground was sand/natural grass and dirt the new ones I've seen are some kind of rubber mulch. BOING!! Kids go bouncing right back up from falls.

None of the playgrounds near me have a merry-go-round because they're too dangerous. Man I remember some good times puking off the side of that thing. A shame that kids wont get to have that experience today.

really, today's kids are so soft, it isn't funny.

No big tall slides, no swings, no merry go rounds....no fun.

... and no learning.

Campers should be tech free IMO. It's part of the experience and it's also important for kids who get home sick to learn how to separate and not have a gadget as a security blanket.

And this is why *camp* sounds far more compulsory than voluntary. :eusa_eh:

Pretty much everything in a child's life is compulsory. Their parents have the right to make all their decisions for them. :cool:

Pretty much everything in a child's life is compulsory. Their parents have the right to make all their decisions for them. :cool:

So I've noticed. I am, however, concerned about the effects that may have on intellectual development and one's future ability to function autonomously.

I think compulsory camp attendance cut off from technology for a week or two would do much less damage than having a helicopter mom flying about for the next 40 years.

I think compulsory camp attendance cut off from technology for a week or two would do much less damage than having a helicopter mom flying about for the next 40 years.

I've not spoken out in favor of either. I'm one of only two people in this thread who opposed both compulsions, which is appropriate, given I'm one of only two youth rights supporters in this thread.

Campers should be tech free IMO. It's part of the experience and it's also important for kids who get home sick to learn how to separate and not have a gadget as a security blanket.

And this is why *camp* sounds far more compulsory than voluntary. :eusa_eh:

Camp is camp. You want a different experience then don't sign up for a camp camp, sign up for a sleepover day care disguised as a camp.

I'm speaking rhetorically of course because YOU should stay away from all camps. :razz:

So I've noticed. I am, however, concerned about the effects that may have on intellectual development and one's future ability to function autonomously.

Hell, I know a 50 year old who STILL doesn't even know how to tie their own shoes because they had a helicopter parent.

Camp is camp. You want a different experience then don't sign up for a camp camp, sign up for a sleepover day care disguised as a camp.

Why should the "experience" be determined through parental compulsion? It doesn't seem as though that would facilitate an especially enjoyable time.

I'm speaking rhetorically of course because YOU should stay away from all camps. :razz:

Too late. I'll go where I please in the future too.

I've not spoken out in favor of either. I'm one of only two people in this thread who opposed both compulsions, which is appropriate, given I'm one of only two youth rights supporters in this thread.

I can respect that. I support youth's right not to be abused, and their right to incrementally become more responsible for their own lives. If my kid didn't want to go to camp I wouldn't force it, but I would explain that my summers at camp were some of the most fun times of my life and a good opportunity to make new friends. On the other hand I don't buy into this parents should be friends with their kids trend that has been creeping into our culture lately. There are some things that parents may need to forcibly instill into their children. Not to steal, Not to hit other people, To eat their vegetables, To do their homework every night... these are things where compulsion is necessary. It'll make the kid a better person in the long run.

I can respect that. I support youth's right not to be abused, and their right to incrementally become more responsible for their own lives. If my kid didn't want to go to camp I wouldn't force it, but I would explain that my summers at camp were some of the most fun times of my life and a good opportunity to make new friends. On the other hand I don't buy into this parents should be friends with their kids trend that has been creeping into our culture lately. There are some things that parents may need to forcibly instill into their children. Not to steal, Not to hit other people, To eat their vegetables, To do their homework every night... these are things where compulsion is necessary. It'll make the kid a better person in the long run.

I believe you're referring to "children's rights," which primarily focuses on youth and child welfare. Youth rights involves a substantially different program which involves the extension of civil rights and liberties to youth (particularly given the nature of the *invention* of adolescence during the Industrian Revolution), and calls for the abolition of age restrictions in its most extreme form.

It's called parenting. :razz:

Compulsion seems an acceptable practice of parenting when preventing a toddler from running into a highway, not determining the precise nature of a camp experience that would be made more truly enjoyable by voluntary attendance and structure preferences.

I believe you're referring to "children's rights," which primarily focuses on youth and child welfare. Youth rights involves a substantially different program which involves the extension of civil rights and liberties to youth (particularly given the nature of the *invention* of adolescence during the Industrian Revolution), and calls for the abolition of age restrictions in its most extreme form.

You're right, though I could certainly agree with your platform as well. We can look to the latest Consumer Credit "Protections" passed this week... raised the age to get a credit card from 18 to 21. I would agree that such things are bullshit. Same with the drinking age. Archaic law that only serves to punish the few kids who get caught.

Why should the "experience" be determined through parental compulsion?

It's called parenting. :razz:

I'm definitely a "compulsory" sort of parent.

My 6 y.o. daughter is now at a stage where she questions and challenges EVERYTHING.

My answer?

"Because I said so."

Second line of defense:

"I'm counting to three then you're standing in the corner."

Another one:

"Delayed obedience is the same as disobedience."

You're right, though I could certainly agree with your platform as well. We can look to the latest Consumer Credit "Protections" passed this week... raised the age to get a credit card from 18 to 21. I would agree that such things are bullshit. Same with the drinking age. Archaic law that only serves to punish the few kids who get caught.

I'd agree that such credit card restrictions often serve as impediments to the development of financial responsibility, since the knowledge that one's parents cosigned and are thus responsible for payment in the case of default would reduce the incentive against abusing credit cards.

Surely the "thou shalt not frequent places where children congregate" clause of your life-time sex offender probation precludes that?

You know, sweetie, you sure do seem to enjoy mentioning my sexual interests quite often. Do you have some kind of thing for me? Do I make you buckle in the knees? Cuz' I don't think Pat Robertson would approve. :( :eusa_hand:

No, freak, I just like to make sure nobody forgets who you are.

Oh, hell, I know who I am, Christfag. :lol:

The question is...do you know who you are? I'm the person who seeks solace in empirical evidence despite the whining of idiots; you're the simpleton who crows about your irrational dogma despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. I guess the difference between us is that I realize knowledge doesn't come from James Dobson.

rotary-phone.jpg

they used the "landline". what a concept!

anyone who thinks it onerous to deprive a kid of their cell/ipod/gameboy/ whatever for one or two weeks is way past fucked in the head, imo.

:lol: I agree.

yeah, they used to have landlines, but if you're out on a 5 mile hike, it can take too long to get to that landline if someone is hurt. Hopefully there's always someone with you that has access to a radio or some sort of communication system in case of an emergency.

The counselor stated he had a cell for emergencies, so that really is a moot point. The purpose of camp is for the kids to 'break out' of their normal existence, to try new things and build confidence from encountering and successfully meeting new challenges. Can't do that while texting, etc.

Helicopter .... your kids will never truly grow up either.

I may give you some leeway because you don't at this point have kids of your own, but how does wishing to accompany a 9 year old child on the subway consititute in some way as being a "helicopter parent?" I use to take the NYC buses and subways all the time as a kid, but we all know that those days were a lot merrier and carefree than they are today. As a parent, I have to make a decision how old is old enough for my children to take the subway by themselves. We're not talking about bickering with the teacher about B on an assignment entitled "What I Did During Summer Vacation?" (Which incidentally, never happened in our family.) This is a safety issue.

For those parents who believe that a cellphone or a Blackberry would diminish the camping experience, the solution is simple. Have the cellphone/Blackberry confiscated at the first instance of it being used at an inappropriate time. The children who don't abuse the privilege will hold onto their equipment while the kids who can't help themselves will lose them on the very first day. We all assume that all kids addicted to texting. Not true.

The bold part is completely false. By all measures children are far safer today than they ever were at any previous time in history. Stranger Danger is also a huge overreaction considering 90% of crimes against children are by a family member or friend of the family.

http://www.childtrendsdatabank.org/tables/63_Table_1.htm

It's really disappointing when one, experienced at posting on the board, puts as little effort into a cohesive thought, as you have in this case.

By what measures? This is vague, and defies conclusivity.

And the link you provide refers only to the deaths of individuals. Is it your position that, no matter what happens to a child, if they live through it, if they recover from it, they have fulfilled the criteria for being 'safe'?

If I have to ask a series of questions to clarify what it is you are addressing or positing, you have done an exceptionally poor job.

Chip on my shoulder ... hmm ... could it be that lately teens and young adults are now so stupid I can't stand them all because they are not allowed to learn anything and the effects are that life for those of us who do know how to live because we learned it when we were capable of doing such are made that much more difficult? Naw ... nothing wrong with idiot adults now entering the world.

Also, no, I will not mention my expertise on this matter, it's more fun to watch you guess. So, let's make this a little more simplistic so you can understand it better and so that I can at least attempt to make it clear:

Do your kids know that fire is hot and hurts?

You miss the direction of my post. I'm not guessing at your expertise, nor experience. I'm suggesting that you have none of either.

Just, it appears, a deep hurt over something about which I have no involvement.

Your response to a hypothetical is far too emotion-laden to be a passing opinion.

I hope it's something you are able to deal with.

Do ... your kids ... know fire is hot ... and that it hurts?

Do...you know...that parents...love...their children?

Forum List

Back