Teens can't have their cell phone at Camp?

If you were empathetic to your childs needs then you would let them make mistakes and get hurt sometimes, so when they are adults they will know how to live.

Since you don't have any knowledge as to my child-rearing other than the specifics of allowing a young one to ride the subway alone, it makes one wonder about the chip on your shoulder.

Is there some expertise you have that has not yet make its appearance? Some experience?

Is it parents you dislike, or children?

Chip on my shoulder ... hmm ... could it be that lately teens and young adults are now so stupid I can't stand them all because they are not allowed to learn anything and the effects are that life for those of us who do know how to live because we learned it when we were capable of doing such are made that much more difficult? Naw ... nothing wrong with idiot adults now entering the world.

Also, no, I will not mention my expertise on this matter, it's more fun to watch you guess. So, let's make this a little more simplistic so you can understand it better and so that I can at least attempt to make it clear:

Do your kids know that fire is hot and hurts?

You miss the direction of my post. I'm not guessing at your expertise, nor experience. I'm suggesting that you have none of either.

Just, it appears, a deep hurt over something about which I have no involvement.

Your response to a hypothetical is far too emotion-laden to be a passing opinion.

I hope it's something you are able to deal with.

I couldn't believe she did what she did and then decided to write about it.

Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Ride the Subway Alone - April 1, 2008 - The New York Sun

I don't think I will be following her advice anytime soon.

Helicopter .... your kids will never truly grow up either.

I may give you some leeway because you don't at this point have kids of your own, but how does wishing to accompany a 9 year old child on the subway consititute in some way as being a "helicopter parent?" I use to take the NYC buses and subways all the time as a kid, but we all know that those days were a lot merrier and carefree than they are today. As a parent, I have to make a decision how old is old enough for my children to take the subway by themselves. We're not talking about bickering with the teacher about B on an assignment entitled "What I Did During Summer Vacation?" (Which incidentally, never happened in our family.) This is a safety issue.

For those parents who believe that a cellphone or a Blackberry would diminish the camping experience, the solution is simple. Have the cellphone/Blackberry confiscated at the first instance of it being used at an inappropriate time. The children who don't abuse the privilege will hold onto their equipment while the kids who can't help themselves will lose them on the very first day. We all assume that all kids addicted to texting. Not true.

The bold part is completely false. By all measures children are far safer today than they ever were at any previous time in history. Stranger Danger is also a huge overreaction considering 90% of crimes against children are by a family member or friend of the family.

http://www.childtrendsdatabank.org/tables/63_Table_1.htm

Since you don't have any knowledge as to my child-rearing other than the specifics of allowing a young one to ride the subway alone, it makes one wonder about the chip on your shoulder.

Is there some expertise you have that has not yet make its appearance? Some experience?

Is it parents you dislike, or children?

Chip on my shoulder ... hmm ... could it be that lately teens and young adults are now so stupid I can't stand them all because they are not allowed to learn anything and the effects are that life for those of us who do know how to live because we learned it when we were capable of doing such are made that much more difficult? Naw ... nothing wrong with idiot adults now entering the world.

Also, no, I will not mention my expertise on this matter, it's more fun to watch you guess. So, let's make this a little more simplistic so you can understand it better and so that I can at least attempt to make it clear:

Do your kids know that fire is hot and hurts?

You miss the direction of my post. I'm not guessing at your expertise, nor experience. I'm suggesting that you have none of either.

Just, it appears, a deep hurt over something about which I have no involvement.

Your response to a hypothetical is far too emotion-laden to be a passing opinion.

I hope it's something you are able to deal with.

Do ... your kids ... know fire is hot ... and that it hurts?

Because the child is 9 years old. Subways are crowded in Manhattan and I have no control over who is in the subway. I'm not willing to take chance that something might happen to my 9 year old.

I'm simply willing to side with the rational before the emotional. Of course it's natural and understandable to have fears that something *could* happen, but paranoia has no empirical basis.

Call CPS STAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid, some camps don't want teens to be "plugged in" to technology while at camp.

How the hell did the rest of us mangage when we went to camp back in the pioneer days anyway?

Teens panic as they’re forced to unplug at camp - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Kids today are really spoiled. When I was a kid, the monkey bars were fourteen feet high over a slap of cement and if you fell and your head wasn't cracked open, your parents would just send you back to the monkey bars. Today they are 5 feet high over an 8 inch slab of foam.

Call CPS STAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid, some camps don't want teens to be "plugged in" to technology while at camp.

How the hell did the rest of us mangage when we went to camp back in the pioneer days anyway?

Teens panic as they’re forced to unplug at camp - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Kids today are really spoiled. When I was a kid, the monkey bars were fourteen feet high over a slap of cement and if you fell and your head wasn't cracked open, your parents would just send you back to the monkey bars. Today they are 5 feet high over an 8 inch slab of foam.

The truly humorous part of this, so many of them still pine for the "better days of old" ... :lol:

It's a different world than you guys grew up in. You can't understand it so you make fun of it. If you have a cell phone do you ever leave the house without it on purpose? I don't know anyone any age that doesn't have a cell and doesn't get at least mildly panicky if they forget it somewhere. Maybe you remember the "good ol' days" before everyone had them, but we grew up with them. Many of us use our phones for a LOT more than just making a phonecall now and then, it's part of nearly everything we do. We're in near constant contact with our friends and families sending texts and pics and videos and updating Facebook. I think we have better, more meaningful relationships with our friends because of it. And it's not like learning to do without it for a week or 2 is of much value, the technology isn't going away.

That's great that you think you have better, more meaningful relationships because of your cell phone.

This is about not having a cell phone at camp for a week or two. If they are really your friends, I think they would understand, and still be your friend when you come home, even though you couldn't text them for a week or two, eh?

I'm sure they would, but I think you missed my point. I could go to camp with my right arm tied down and learn to everything with my left but it isn't necessary, and I'm not learning a meaningful new skill. I would have a lot better time at camp if I could take pics and upload them to Facebook to show my friends what I'm doing, and I would want to see what they were doing if they went. All kinds of things will be forgotten in 2 weeks, but not if you can share them. I'm sure it all sounds really stupid to you, but it's not to us. It's how we stay connected to each other. I don't get the "LULZ poor babies" attitude. How does it hurt anyone? If it's so terrible why doesn't everyone who feels that way throw their phone away? I kinda doubt we'll see that happen.

Amanda, I know what you are saying, my 'kids' are the same age approximately as you. The kids I teach, eh, they are crazy that school won't allow their cells in class.

What I think you are missing, when you are texting, snapping pics, reading messages via internet, you are not interacting with those around you-you are in 'your world.' Like the board, many are virtual friends, which is not the same as classmates, camp mates, or friends/family your sitting with, not conversing with while dealing with phone or computers. That was the point, I believe.

It sounds kind of silly. Just as a safety issue, every child should be allowed to have a cell phone. Pay phones are almost non-existent now. I would say skip the camp, if they don't allow cell phones. I'm sure there are others that have more reasonable rules.

Really? Did you ever go to camp as a kid? I know they didn't have cell phones back then, so what did they do if a child got hurt and they had to contact the parents?

rotary-phone.jpg

they used the "landline". what a concept!

anyone who thinks it onerous to deprive a kid of their cell/ipod/gameboy/ whatever for one or two weeks is way past fucked in the head, imo.

:lol: I agree.

That's great that you think you have better, more meaningful relationships because of your cell phone.

This is about not having a cell phone at camp for a week or two. If they are really your friends, I think they would understand, and still be your friend when you come home, even though you couldn't text them for a week or two, eh?

I'm sure they would, but I think you missed my point. I could go to camp with my right arm tied down and learn to everything with my left but it isn't necessary, and I'm not learning a meaningful new skill. I would have a lot better time at camp if I could take pics and upload them to Facebook to show my friends what I'm doing, and I would want to see what they were doing if they went. All kinds of things will be forgotten in 2 weeks, but not if you can share them. I'm sure it all sounds really stupid to you, but it's not to us. It's how we stay connected to each other. I don't get the "LULZ poor babies" attitude. How does it hurt anyone? If it's so terrible why doesn't everyone who feels that way throw their phone away? I kinda doubt we'll see that happen.

Amanda, I know what you are saying, my 'kids' are the same age approximately as you. The kids I teach, eh, they are crazy that school won't allow their cells in class.

What I think you are missing, when you are texting, snapping pics, reading messages via internet, you are not interacting with those around you-you are in 'your world.' Like the board, many are virtual friends, which is not the same as classmates, camp mates, or friends/family your sitting with, not conversing with while dealing with phone or computers. That was the point, I believe.

I think people have become too dependent on cellphones, but at the same time, if they get coverage in the area, having a cellphone can save lives. Too bad they can't just fix the cellphones so they can only call 911.

I went to "Outdoor School" which was the only "camp" available in my neck of the woods growing up. It was 5 days at camp not too far from where we lived, and it was a school thing. We stayed in 3-sided sheds on wooden bunks.

One shower for the week, which I missed because I was sick and was sent to sleep it off in the nurse's quarters.

But other than that, it was an absolute HOOT. I had my first s'mores (I had NO idea and have since become a microwave chef of s'mores...in fact, it's about the only thing I really need a microwave for). We went canoeing, we had these cool hikes. I was one of the only girls not afraid to travel to the outhouse at night, because I was an old hand with outhouses (real outhouses, not portapotties, yuck).

Amanda, you can live without the cell phone for a week. Perhaps that's what you should give up for Lent, just to prove that you can. It will open up a whole new world for you.

Really? Did you ever go to camp as a kid? I know they didn't have cell phones back then, so what did they do if a child got hurt and they had to contact the parents?

rotary-phone.jpg

anyone who thinks it onerous to deprive a kid of their cell/ipod/gameboy/ whatever for one or two weeks is way past fucked in the head, imo.

yeah, they used to have landlines, but if you're out on a 5 mile hike, it can take too long to get to that landline if someone is hurt. Hopefully there's always someone with you that has access to a radio or some sort of communication system in case of an emergency.

I think people have become too dependent on cellphones, but at the same time, if they get coverage in the area, having a cellphone can save lives. Too bad they can't just fix the cellphones so they can only call 911.

With the newer ones you can, don't pay the bill. Like landlines, you can use it for 911 even if it's not connected.

Hey, I fell off the monkey bars when I was 7 and did involuntary splits, which tore the ligaments in my inner thighs. I couldn't walk for 2 days! A teacher had to pick me up from the ground.

Thank goodness our monkey bars were on a sand playground, with woodchips under them.

rotary-phone.jpg

yeah, they used to have landlines, but if you're out on a 5 mile hike, it can take too long to get to that landline if someone is hurt. Hopefully there's always someone with you that has access to a radio or some sort of communication system in case of an emergency.

smart hikers/campers always have a radio tuned to the local ranger frequency or tell someone they should be back at "such and such" time.

rotary-phone.jpg

I imagine the counselors have it covered. I'm not sure you're saving any time by calling for help and staying put until it arrives...this is why you learn basic first aid and CPR before becoming a counselor.

You can live without a cell. I promise you. People didn't die by the thousands in the old days because they didn't have cell phones.

The one real argument to be made for them is they are nice to have when you're traveling, so you can always let someone know where you are. And if the hike is to be a 10 mile hike (we never went on a 5 mile hike, but I was 11 at my camp) it could be nice to have one to home in on if the party like disappears or something.

But let's be real..this isn't "Blair Witch Summer Camp". These kids aren't hiking Mt. Hood in the snow or anything.

Hey, I fell off the monkey bars when I was 7 and did involuntary splits, which tore the ligaments in my inner thighs. I couldn't walk for 2 days! A teacher had to pick me up from the ground.

Thank goodness our monkey bars were on a sand playground, with woodchips under them.

wuss....:D

haha my playground was sand/natural grass and dirt the new ones I've seen are some kind of rubber mulch. BOING!! Kids go bouncing right back up from falls.

None of the playgrounds near me have a merry-go-round because they're too dangerous. Man I remember some good times puking off the side of that thing. A shame that kids wont get to have that experience today.

rotary-phone.jpg

Just give the counselor a cell phone for a trip like that.

Campers should be tech free IMO. It's part of the experience and it's also important for kids who get home sick to learn how to separate and not have a gadget as a security blanket.

Forum List

Back