Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

From the Wiki article on the HS

The Eastonian is an underground newspaper known for its longevity and long lists of editors who all use the pseudonym John Galt, the character in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. The paper traditionally features political and social commentary and also includes a page of quotations that are taken out of context from the conversations of unsuspecting students and teachers. The Eastonian is readily confiscated by faculty and staff, but the tradition continues and many teachers have been known to be avid readers. Punishment for participation in the publication of the Eastonian is usually a five day out-of-school suspension. In the late 70's an underground comic was published called "The Tuesday Afternoon Reader" which featured cartoons and commentary on school policies and student life.

========

Seems fighting free speech is a long term battle at that school.

Wow, if this is true it's an ACLU lawsuit waiting to happen. Though, I have to admit that if the school would lighten up a bit and make more of a symbolic "resistance" to the paper, it would be quite the nice little school tradition.

As a labeled terrorist, ME its easy to see civil discourse is something you dont approve of if you had to ask.

Since when is it the responsibility of the governor's office to monitor civil discourse on twitter?

Since when is it their responsibility to run and tell the principal because Suzy So and So said bad things about them?

These people are petty.

Attack Watch

Right from the CIC

Should I expand? Or can you figure it out from there?

I'm aware of "attack watch" and I think it's retarded and stinks of paranoia.

That doesn't address my post, however, it merely deflects.

So again....

Since when is it the responsibility of the governor's office to monitor civil discourse on twitter?

Since when is it their responsibility to run and tell the principal because Suzy So and So said bad things about them?

She is a child playing with her toys. Unless her tweets were vulgar who fucking cares. If they were her parents should care. Otherwise your just desperate to change the subject from real issues Chris.

She's 18. I know 18 year olds who died serving their country.

If you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to tweet whatever the fuck you want.

These people are petty.

Attack Watch

Right from the CIC

So again....

Its not.. However taking a class in government you would think she knows better.

Regardless of if they monitored or not. Is this the type of civil discourse you approve of.

Remember I APPROACH THIS AS A DEMOCRAT LABELED TERRORIST.

Unless Kansas is somehow exempt from America's current economic problems, doesn't Brownback and his staff have better things to do with their time than having the State Tweet Police censure a teenager for tweeting to her friends?

I'm surprised that nobody here is talking about the very disturbing fact that the government is monitoring social media for dissension from the government.

Attack Watch

Right from the CIC

So again....

Its not.. However taking a class in government you would think she knows better.

Knows better than to what? Say bad things about politicians?

Regardless of if they monitored or not. Is this the type of civil discourse you approve of.

I've been a member of the USMB for three years now. So, yes, it is the kind of discourse I approve of. Don't pretend that you don't approve of it.

I have no idea what the eff that means.

So again....

I've been a member of the USMB for three years now. So, yes, it is the kind of discourse I approve of. Don't pretend that you don't approve of it.

HOW ABOUT LYING FOR STARTERS.

You were aware of that right?

Unless Kansas is somehow exempt from America's current economic problems, doesn't Brownback and his staff have better things to do with their time than having the State Tweet Police censure a teenager for tweeting to her friends?

I'm surprised that nobody here is talking about the very disturbing fact that the government is monitoring social media for dissension from the government.

I'd be surprised if they weren't, frankly.

What bothers me is that the governor's office is essentially a tattle tale in this situation.

Really, you dont recall the vice president calling tea party members terrorists.

Is that a selective memory issue?

As a labeled terrorist, ME its easy to see civil discourse is something you dont approve of if you had to ask.

These people are petty.

Attack Watch

Right from the CIC

Go to the attackwatch page and tell us what you see.

Report back and tell us how it's the same.

These people are petty.

Attack Watch

Right from the CIC

Report back how it's the same.

Been there and done that. Sign up sheet, a remake of an earlier version in which I reported myself.

So please continue :lol:

Really, you dont recall the vice president calling tea party members terrorists.

I think the selective memory is yours as there was no confirmation he said that.

HOW ABOUT LYING FOR STARTERS.

You were aware of that right?

Yes, I am aware.

I don't see what taking a class in government has to do with it.

No, I don't think I have a selective memory issue.

Perhaps you can pull up the quote in it's full context.

No, I don't think I have a selective memory issue.

Perhaps you can pull up the quote in it's full context.

La Times alright?

5 different sources with Biden skipping out OH MY!!

Joe Biden update: His GOP 'terrorists' quote reaffirmed - latimes.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

She's an asswipe. If he had said something similiar to her the demoncrat rats would be up in arms..

Republicans stifling free speech again? That is chilling. I agree w/ the parent:
“If she wants to tweet her opinion about Gov. Brownback, I say for her to go for it and I stand totally behind her.”

Read more: Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com
What Republican is stifling her speech?

The school is telling her to apologize. Is the principal Republican? I didn't see any mention of the principal's party affiliation in the piece.

dotpig is a liar and a moron.

Attack Watch

Right from the CIC

Report back how it's the same.

Been there and done that. Sign up sheet, a remake of an earlier version in which I reported myself.

So please continue :lol:
So, you've suffered repercussions then?

Countering mistruths is not anywhere near what happened here with the young adult exercising her First Amendment rights to criticize an elected official and suffering the wrath of the State as a result.

By the way - Newt just set up his own attackwatch. Oooouuu.

Forum List

Back