Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

I'm not sure whether she owes the governor an apology, but I imagine there is a code of conduct for each of the students selected for the "Youth in Government" program. She should just be kicked out.

Unless Kansas is somehow exempt from America's current economic problems, doesn't Brownback and his staff have better things to do with their time than having the State Tweet Police censure a teenager for tweeting to her friends?

Nope they are GOP... they have never been willing to fix anything but only to keep the status quo and keep the masses down.. and this is another example of an attempt to censor/punish people because of their views of the GOP. The GOP in areas looks more and more like Mussolini's brown shirts than the GOP of the past.

I'm not sure whether she owes the governor an apology, but I imagine there is a code of conduct for each of the students selected for the "Youth in Government" program. She should just be kicked out.

Exactly, It's her right to choose not to apologize, but it's their right to boot her from the program if they disapprove of her behavior.

She is a child playing with her toys. Unless her tweets were vulgar who fucking cares. If they were her parents should care. Otherwise your just desperate to change the subject from real issues Chris.

i think, gramps, the point isn't so much what the girl tweeted; it's about the demand by a governor that a high school student apologize for a negative comment on her twitter feed.

She is a child playing with her toys. Unless her tweets were vulgar who fucking cares. If they were her parents should care. Otherwise your just desperate to change the subject from real issues Chris.

i think, gramps, the point isn't so much what the girl tweeted; it's about the demand by a governor that a high school student apologize for a negative comment on her twitter feed.

The Governor never demanded it, her principle did.

well, technically correct. but from the link:

But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

so if they didn't want an apology or a retraction or some type of action against the student, why would they contact the program?

So an undisciplined child opens her mouth and proves her parents did a piss poor job raising her.

And it's headline news?

good lord.

big 0 murders a US citizen and it gets brushed over. But a teen w/o a clue on how the world works....

But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

so if they didn't want an apology or a retraction or some type of action against the student, why would they contact the program?

I don't know, I'm not a mind reader, but I'm guessing(all we can do with what we're given) they were notifying them of the behavior of one of the kids in the program.

That would be the Republican Gov Brownback contacting the extracurricular program to voice their displeasure to the faculty involved. I'm assuming the Gov holds the pursestrings for the school.
Sounds like the thought police in action. This is nothing more than school girls passing notes. Brownback is an idiot.

Dere senator Brownbak,

At refess this morning Tommy Curtis said he met you onced and you smell funy.

I am telin youse in case you wanna telled our prinipal.

love,

Joey

I know that if I were speaking somewhere and I became aware of someone lying about what happened, I would say something to the people she represented, irrespective of whether it was a political event or not.

That's just me.

More to the point on this, the school is likely pressuring this kid to apologize because they do not want their educational program to have a black eye as lying in social media whenever they attend a political event. This might preclude them from being invited to future political events and hinder education.

So, I can completely understand why the principal does not want this kid to ruin future learning opportunities.

Undeniably complex thinking going on here. You think that is "likely" the case, do ya?

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

Much ado about nothing!

just don't go around booing MaBelle Obama. all hell will break loose.:lol:

this story is so zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

I don't know, I'm not a mind reader, but I'm guessing(all we can do with what we're given) they were notifying them of the behavior of one of the kids in the program.

Why would they do that?

Why would they do that?

As a labeled terrorist, ME its easy to see civil discourse is something you dont approve of if you had to ask.

Why would they do that?

As a labeled terrorist, ME its easy to see civil discourse is something you dont approve of if you had to ask.

Since when is it the responsibility of the governor's office to monitor civil discourse on twitter?

Since when is it their responsibility to run and tell the principal because Suzy So and So said bad things about them?

These people are petty.

Yes, a voter has the right to critisize a politician but there is a right way and wrong way to do that.

Says who? You? What makes you the arbiter of "right" and "wrong" ways to criticize a politician? Or, for that matter, to be inserting yourself into what was essentially a private conversation and joke in the first place?

First of all what she "tweeted" (whatever the hell that is)

So you admit that you're not fully informed on this entire debacle?

was a lie.

Maybe not. Maybe it was nothing intended to be taken as a serious face value fact. Communication is more than the cold words. For example, if I was at work and sent a text message to one of my co-workers that said "I'm punching the boss in the face right now" they'd probably understand it as a joke. It's my right to make jokes with my friends in private conversations.

Second, if she had that would have been enormously disrespectful.

Okay, so a hypothetical comment (the content of which we don't even know) and hypothetical "disrespect" all means she should be forced to issue a real and unfelt apology?

My daughters have been raised to respect their elders. And that girl should be able to express her opinion without telling some older than her that "You suck".

You just admitted that she never talked to the man. So don't put words in her mouth.

I would have raised holy hell with either of my daughters had they done that and forced them to apologize.

In other words, you'd force them to put on a show and dance and LIE by saying they felt something they in fact did not. This is what you call "respect"?

Why would they do that?

Since when is it the responsibility of the governor's office to monitor civil discourse on twitter?

Since when is it their responsibility to run and tell the principal because Suzy So and So said bad things about them?

These people are petty.

Attack Watch

Right from the CIC

Should I expand? Or can you figure it out from there?

Forum List

Back