Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

Go to the attackwatch page and tell us what you see.

Report back how it's the same.

Been there and done that. Sign up sheet, a remake of an earlier version in which I reported myself.

So please continue :lol:
So, you've suffered repercussions then?

Countering mistruths is not anywhere near what happened here with the young adult exercising her First Amendment rights to criticize an elected official and suffering the wrath of the State as a result.

By the way - Newt just set up his own attackwatch. Oooouuu.

As a business owner, do you really want that answered?

Remember I APPROACH THIS AS A DEMOCRAT LABELED TERRORIST.
I have no idea what the eff that means.

Really, you dont recall the vice president calling tea party members terrorists.

Is that a selective memory issue?

No, I don't think I have a selective memory issue.

Perhaps you can pull up the quote in it's full context.

La Times alright?

5 different sources with Biden skipping out OH MY!!

Joe Biden update: His GOP 'terrorists' quote reaffirmed - latimes.com

Like I suspected you were being less than honest. He said that the new GOP majority in the House "acted like terrorists" during negotiations.

While I agree that it's not the thing you want the Veep to be saying he didn't say they were terrorists and he certainly didn't mention Tea Party supporters like yourself.

To refresh your memory, hours after Biden met behind closed doors with unhappy....

...congressional Democrats during the heated talks, Politico reported that the vice president of the United States had agreed with Pennsylvania Democratic Rep. Mike Doyle's characterization of the House's new GOP majority and said, "They have acted like terrorists."

I'm afraid I'll have to take the opposing view on this one.

Yes, a voter has the right to critisize a politician but there is a right way and wrong way to do that. First of all what she "tweeted" (whatever the hell that is) was a lie. She never openly spoke to him as she alluded to. Second, if she had that would have been enormously disrespectful. My daughters have been raised to respect their elders. And that girl should be able to express her opinion without telling some older than her that "You suck". I would have raised holy hell with either of my daughters had they done that and forced them to apologize.

And I would have raised holy hell if my kid backed down. She owes no apology and I wish the principal would try to discipline her for her tweet. Respect is earned, not given due to age.

that's exactly how I feel about obienoodle. he ain't earned him no R E S P E C T.

La Times alright?

Like I suspected you were being less than honest. He said that the new GOP majority in the House "acted like terrorists" during negotiations.

While I agree that it's not the thing you want the Veep to be saying he didn't say they were terrorists and he certainly didn't mention Tea Party supporters like yourself.

To refresh your memory, hours after Biden met behind closed doors with unhappy....

...congressional Democrats during the heated talks, Politico reported that the vice president of the United States had agreed with Pennsylvania Democratic Rep. Mike Doyle's characterization of the House's new GOP majority and said, "They have acted like terrorists."

Really then you can post a different account from someone else in the room.

waiting............................................

La Times alright?

I pulled that from your own link.

You can wait all day....................................................

A few people have asked what this has to do with Republicans stifling free speech:

Teen’s joking tweet on Topeka trip creates a capital fracas - KansasCity.com

The staff of Governor Brownback (a Republican) complained to the Youth in Government program about the tweet. This complaint prompted the student's school to initiate disciplinary action, a result entirely predictable to the gubernatorial staff. It seems inescapable that as a result of the student's speech, Republicans initiated disciplinary action, irrespective of the school staff's own private political positions. That doesn't mean there is something inherent in the Republican party that abhors free speech, but in this case Republicans definitely suppressed it after the fact.

The student doesn't strike me as particularly laudable: her tweet was disrespectful and counterfactual. However, the behavior of the Governor's staff and the school administration seems incredibly foolish. Now, instead of the student's 65 friends seeing a mild message of complaint about the Governor, we have a national news story about how the Governor has been complaining about teenagers claiming to say mean things about him.

While this case is an unlikely one for a lawsuit, particularly since the school doesn't appear to be insisting on punishing the student, I think the student's speech was clearly Constitutionally protected (which would mean that an agency of a state government, such as her school, couldn't punish her for it or force her to recant it). Under Tinker, (Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) students enjoy full free speech rights unless their speech is vulgar, it advocates illegal activity, or it disrupts the educational process. Clearly, this speech did not, and it was expressly political, requiring heightened scrutiny. Of course, in practice full Tinker protections are not applied, since very few students have the inclination or resources to fight to the Supreme Court to get out of detention.

The Govenor enjoys free speech as well. This student ends up looking like the asswipe she is. She'll have to deal with it. Brownback did not initiate the attack she did. She'll have to suck up the consequences.

So you have nothing but a big mouth. :lmao:

Biden tea party members are terroristshouse china - Bing

I have a direct quote from an LA Times link you posted .............. "they acted like terrorists"

You have yet to post any other quote.

La Times alright?

His own link:

"So, did Vice President Joe Biden really liken Republican House "tea party" members to terrorists during the debt deal roughhousing, just as President Obama was publicly professing a desire for political civility?

In a way, it doesn't matter anymore, because the belief that he did has hardened like cement (see the photo above, the protester on the right, all the way out in Iowa)."

It was a behind doors meeting - with even Politico stating it's virtually impossible for one media outlet to fact check another media outlet on what was said behind closed doors.

But it doesn't matter. It has cemented and many of them now even seem to think they actually heard him saying it. <it: their version of it>

Last edited:

I have a direct quote from an LA Times link you posted .............. "they acted like terrorists"

To act like a terrorist you must be a terrorist. WE GOT THAT PART............

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

She's an asswipe. If he had said something similiar to her the demoncrat rats would be up in arms..

Notes that this is what Willow thinks of people exercising their First Amendment rights.

So you agree that he said "they acted like terrorists."

Are you a Republican member of Congress and part of the Tea Party Caucus?

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

She's an asswipe. If he had said something similiar to her the demoncrat rats would be up in arms..

Notes that this is what Willow thinks of people exercising their First Amendment rights.

She has the right to say what she said and I have the right to call her an asswipe unless of course you think "its free speech for thee but none for me" which is most likely the case..

I WASNT THERE.

Once you get over the hurt we can move on to me being a racist for wanting spending cuts.

I WASNT THERE.

Once you get over the hurt we can move on to me being a racist for wanting spending cuts.

So that's a no, you aren't.

If you weren't there how do you know that he labeled you a terrorist?

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here, except to maybe suggest that elected officials should be given a pass to act like 18 year old HS kids???

Forum List

Back