Ted Williams (Sears) Model 100 lever action....A Winchester Model 94 in disguise.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this Ted Williams (Sears) Model 100 in .30-30 a few days back....They were made by Winchester for Sears from 1965 till about 1975. I gave $200.00 for it as it was a bit rough in the receiver area.

100 001 (2).JPG

When Sears made the contract with Winchester they made a few cosmetic changes that differed from the Post 64 Model 94.

Different style of barrel band.

A Win. Model 92 type dovetailed front sight instead of a ramp front sight.

Sling swivel studs.

Forend cap.

Slightly shorter mag tube giving it a bit of a "over-bite" look.

Some say a better grade of walnut, some say lower, but the wood on this one is a nice looking straight grain black walnut.

Of course the roll mark reflected the Sears/Ted Williams brand.

Some versions also had the receiver D&Ted for a side mount/scope that was sold as a package along with a sling.

I have another post 64 M94 that can use a receiver refinish so I'm going to get a Dura-Coat kit in "gun blue" and spray the receivers. It's a solid match for the OEM finish of the post 64 mystery metal receivers.

I like that wood.
The people at Winchester that though the mystery metal receiver was a good idea should be horsewhipped. LOL....I suspect they are all dead by now given it's been 58 years.

Looks like this one flaked (as all of them do) and they removed it and tried cold blueing it. Of course that don't work too well, it just turns gray.....At least I'll have a clean slate to work with when I remove the parts and coat it.

The people at Winchester that though the mystery metal receiver was a good idea should be horsewhipped. LOL....I suspect they are all dead by now given it's been 58 years.

Looks like this one flaked (as all of them do) and they removed it and tried cold blueing it. Of course that don't work too well, it just turns gray.....At least I'll have a clean slate to work with when I remove the parts and coat it.
Boil it.

I have a m94 in 32 special which I really like, and bought a box of those plastic pointed bullets that are supposed to be safe in a tubular barrel but haven't put them through it yet. They sure are pointy. Maybe i'll get ny brother in law to try it.

I have a m94 in 32 special which I really like, and bought a box of those plastic pointed bullets that are supposed to be safe in a tubular barrel but haven't put them through it yet. They sure are pointy. Maybe i'll get ny brother in law to try it.
I'm sure they are fine but given the .30-30s range I'd stick to round-nose soft-points.

That said I had a old Savage 340 mag-fed bolt action in .30-30 that I loaded 125 gr spire-point bullets for and it was very effective at distance.

Forum List

Back