1974 Marlin 336 .30-30 Lever action

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this 1974 Marlin 336 in .30-30 yesterday at a local pawn shop for $300.00.

m 001 (2).JPG

It was right scruffy when I got it but cleaned-up just fine. It had a ill-mounted Tasco 3X9X32 scope on it that I removed and put plug screws in the mounting holes. The rear sight elevator was missing but I had the proper elevator for it.

It did have a set of Williams sling swivel studs installed along with a Marlin branded sling, both of which are very hard to find these days. It also had a JM marked hammer extension (another hard to find item) but I removed it with the scope.

It's action is very slick and what you would come to expect from a 49 year old JM Marlin produced lever action rifle.

Since it has the fold down rear sight I might put a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it.

I picked-up this 1974 Marlin 336 in .30-30 yesterday at a local pawn shop for $300.00.

View attachment 823397

It was right scruffy when I got it but cleaned-up just fine. It had a ill-mounted Tasco 3X9X32 scope on it that I removed and put plug screws in the mounting holes. The rear sight elevator was missing but I had the proper elevator for it.

It did have a set of Williams sling swivel studs installed along with a Marlin branded sling, both of which are very hard to find these days. It also had a JM marked hammer extension (another hard to find item) but I removed it with the scope.

It's action is very slick and what you would come to expect from a 49 year old JM Marlin produced lever action rifle.

Since it has the fold down rear sight I might put a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it.
You seem to like that kind of rifle a lot. IMO, what you have right there is probably the best shooting iteration of it if you get a good one.

I know a guy that has an 1873 one. The guy that works with me has a Marlin like that for his hunting gun.

You seem to like that kind of rifle a lot. IMO, what you have right there is probably the best shooting iteration of it if you get a good one.

I know a guy that has an 1873 one. The guy that works with me has a Marlin like that for his hunting gun.
It was a no-brainer of a buy since I have some skills as far as getting them up to snuff.....They got in a newer non-JM one the same day and the two don't even come close in build quality.

But since it's nice and clean (looked new) they priced it at $700.00 and it was on lay-a-way when went in this morning.

It was a no-brainer of a buy since I have some skills as far as getting them up to snuff.....They got in a newer non-JM one the same day and the two don't even come close in build quality.

But since it's nice and clean (looked new) they priced it at $700.00 and it was on lay-a-way when went in this morning.
Which ones are the best shooters of that genre? $700? :oops:
For some reason I was thinking $189-$289. :(

Which ones are the best shooters of that genre? $700? :oops:
For some reason I was thinking $189-$289. :(
Lever-actions are priced crazy these days with JM Marlins and Winchesters bringing a premium.

LOL....In '74 you could have caught a 336 on sale at K-Mart for $99.00 but in today's money that's $613.00.....Hard to believe how much less our dollar is worth now.

The only reasonably priced L/As are the Rosi clones of the Winchester Model 92. Even Henry prices are fuckin' retarded now.

A new Ruger "Marlin" 336 Classic will set you back around $1250.00 or so.

So yeah, a scruffy 336 you can get for $300.00 and get up to snuff is The Deal of the Day now. ;)

Lever-actions are priced crazy these days with JM Marlins and Winchesters bringing a premium.

LOL....In '74 you could have caught a 336 on sale at K-Mart for $99.00 but in today's money that's $613.00.....Hard to believe how much less our dollar is worth now.

The only reasonably priced L/As are the Rosi clones of the Winchester Model 92. Even Henry prices are fuckin' retarded now.

A new Ruger "Marlin" 336 Classic will set you back around $1250.00 or so.

So yeah, a scruffy 336 you can get for $300.00 and get up to snuff is The Deal of the Day now. ;)
If I was to get one, it'd be for a beat around the woods gun, and it would be a Marlin.

$1250? M-14 or AR-10 or M-1 even. Couple years back I found some M-1s still in Cosmoline for $1250,

Was about to get my cousin one, but he died. :(

:oops: The price of Marlin lever-actions. Henry's are cheaper? :wtf:

This is uh...different. :omg:

You got a good deal.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back