1952 Marlin "Waffle Top" 336 Lever Action in .30-30

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this 1952 Marlin 336 RC this morning....Good honest field wear with a nice black walnut stock and great bore....I traded a decent 6" Model 10 S&W for it.

I much prefer the older Marlins made before they went with a hooded ramp front sight in 1958.

m 002 (2).JPG

They were called "waffle tops" due to the wavy lines milled into the top of the receiver to reduce glare.

m 003 (2).JPG

1952 was the last year for the waffle top, in '53 they went to a plain top, then later to a plain matte top with the receiver being drilled & tapped for a scope mount.

It's really hard to find a waffle top that has not been D&Ted or otherwise dinked with.

The shop actually had two waffle tops a guy brought in (both 1952) but the other was in .32 Special, had been D&Ted, and also had it's iron sights replaced with a Williams receiver sight set-up.

Last edited:
Absolutely love my Marlin .30-30 although you, the collector, would mock it as it has been dinked with.

That doesn't change the way I feel about it. It remains one of my favorites.

Absolutely love my Marlin .30-30 although you, the collector, would mock it as it has been dinked with.

Not at all, I have several Marlin and Winchester L/As that have been "dinked with". I just wanted a waffle-top that wasn't.

In fact the other one was in better shape cosmetically but I just didn't want another Marlin chambered in .32 Special.

It did work out though, the guy brought in two boxes each of .32 Special and .30-30 so I bought all four boxes for $55.00. .32 Special is damn hard to find these days....Even my go-to site (Graf & Sons) has been out of it for a year or better.

Bad choice, bad lever action. Shoulda chose a 94.
But keep it well oiled for when the Demofuks steal another election!

I picked-up this 1952 Marlin 336 RC this morning....Good honest field wear with a nice black walnut stock and great bore....I traded a decent 6" Model 10 S&W for it.

I much prefer the older Marlins made before they went with a hooded ramp front sight in 1958.

View attachment 878995
They were called "waffle tops" due to the wavy lines milled into the top of the receiver to reduce glare.

View attachment 879002

1952 was the last year for the waffle top, in '53 they went to a plain top, then later to a plain matte top with the receiver being drilled & tapped for a scope mount.

It's really hard to find a waffle top that has not been D&Ted or otherwise dinked with.

The shop actually had two waffle tops a guy brought in (both 1952) but the other was in .32 Special, had been D&Ted, and also had it's iron sights replaced with a Williams receiver sight set-up.
Looks almost new.

Couldn't pass it up for 100 bucks.

It's now worth 1000-1200 but has turned out to be one of my favorites.

Don't plan on getting rid of it.

Not at all, I have several Marlin and Winchester L/As that have been "dinked with". I just wanted a waffle-top that wasn't.

In fact the other one was in better shape cosmetically but I just didn't want another Marlin chambered in .32 Special.

It did work out though, the guy brought in two boxes each of .32 Special and .30-30 so I bought all four boxes for $55.00. .32 Special is damn hard to find these days....Even my go-to site (Graf & Sons) has been out of it for a year or better.

Why is .32 Winchester Special ammo so expensive?

You read too many magazines when you should be out doin.
What magazines are you talking about? Field & Stream?

They don't go into that kind of detail.

And learning gun safety isn't just going out on a range and blowing your fingers off. Trial and error is utter stupidity.
You have to sometimes read about lessons learned from experts.

The Marlin is superior to the Winchester.

By a country mile.

You've learned something new that you probably won't find in a magazine.

Safety isn't my responsibility..

.32 won't even feed into a .30-30 you stupid twat. I know more about firearms than you could ever hope to learn.

Hell, my turds know more than you.

Forum List

Back