1977 Winchester Model 94

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this 1977 Win. Model '94 .30-30 this morning at a local pawn shop for $300.00.

94 002 (2).JPG

The cast graphitic steel receiver was just coated in a fine rust but all the regular blued steel was in perfect shape. Of course when I removed the rust the black chrome coating came off with it in the affected areas.....I knew it would.

94 003 (2).JPG

There is very little you can do but do a "gun blue" dura-coat job on it. It will look about like the finish on a Henry .22.

I believe this is a example of something I've heard/read about but never seen 1st hand and that it is a result of very acidic sweaty hands. Sorta interesting.

Anyhoo everything else was just fine and it was set-up well with a Williams Foolproof rear sight, they even used a Kings rear sight slot filler. It also has correctly installed sling swivel studs.

That's an interesting rear sight - not at all like standard sight.

You got a hell of a price at any rate - even for a post 1964.

I have a 1932 model 1894, nickel - apparently worth a small fortune. I have 1966 Centennial commemorative

iu

Apparently worth a fraction of what the old beat up 1932 is worth.

Go figure...

That's an interesting rear sight - not at all like standard sight.

You got a hell of a price at any rate - even for a post 1964.

I have a 1932 model 1894, nickel - apparently worth a small fortune. I have 1966 Centennial commemorative

iu

Apparently worth a fraction of what the old beat up 1932 is worth.

Go figure...
Yeah, I don't know if I want to invest $80.00 in a "blue" dura-coat kit just to do the receiver or not.

I might talk to my gunsmith, he does "blue" DuraCoat every now and again for customers. If I do the disassembly/prep work I'm sure he would give me a heads-up and spray it for a lot less for me.

The 94/336 Williams Foolproof is a very good hunting set-up for lever-action rifles, especially for older eyes. The increased sight radius is also a very good thing....Around eight more inches for a 20" barrel.

It will fit both Marlins and Winchesters where the receivers are drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. They are still available and work fine with the existing front sight.

Of course Lyman and Redfield also made sights for them. Lyman's version is also still available. They are both of steel construction.

Yeah, I don't know if I want to invest $80.00 in a "blue" dura-coat kit just to do the receiver or not.

I might talk to my gunsmith, he does "blue" DuraCoat every now and again for customers. If I do the disassembly/prep work I'm sure he would give me a heads-up and spray it for a lot less for me.

The 94/336 Williams Foolproof is a very good hunting set-up for lever-action rifles, especially for older eyes. The increased sight radius is also a very good thing....Around eight more inches for a 20" barrel.

It will fit both Marlins and Winchesters where the receivers are drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. They are still available and work fine with the existing front sight.

Of course Lyman and Redfield also made sights for them. Lyman's version is also still available. They are both of steel construction.
Of course you could always sell it to me as is for $350 and let me worry about the finish......... :)

Of course you could always sell it to me as is for $350 and let me worry about the finish......... :)
Actually I remembered a .308 Ishapore 2A1 project gun I had set aside that could also use the "blue" DuraCoat so I went ahead and ordered the kit....I'll just do them both at the same time this coming Spring.

It's sort of a abomination as it is now but it shoots straight.

21 001 (2).JPG

Nice try though. ;)

Actually I remembered a .308 Ishapore 2A1 project gun I had set aside that could also use the "blue" DuraCoat so I went ahead and ordered the kit....I'll just do them both at the same time this coming Spring.

It's sort of a abomination as it is now but it shoots straight.

View attachment 738264

Nice try though. ;)
Of course I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today......... :)

I'd also love to get my hands on a 30-30 lever gun just never got around to buying one.

Are you going to convert the Ishapore back to mil-spec or keep it sporterized?

Of course I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today......... :)

I'd also love to get my hands on a 30-30 lever gun just never got around to buying one.

Are you going to convert the Ishapore back to mil-spec or keep it sporterized?
Nah, Navy Arms cobbled them together.....They cut the barrels back to 18.5", stuck a combination brake/cone flash hider on the end, and then hard chromed them. I gave $200 for it more on a lark than anything else. Hell, I figure I'd not lose money on it if I just parted it out.

Someone else added the S&K steel scope mount and plastic stock. I checked the headspace out (GTG), cut the cone off myself leaving the brake behind and put a 2.5X Weaver on it to see if it shot.

My Gawd it's loud. I also made a upper handguard for it (not pictured) and set it aside till I decided what to do with it.

I'll spray the barreled action with the DuraCoat and do the stock/HG in OD green.

LOL....Sorta like buying a '64 Valiant for $500.00, completely restoring it, and it's still only worth $500.00. ;)

Nah, Navy Arms cobbled them together.....They cut the barrels back to 18.5", stuck a combination brake/cone flash hider on the end, and then hard chromed them. I gave $200 for it more on a lark than anything else. Hell, I figure I'd not lose money on it if I just parted it out.

Someone else added the S&K steel scope mount and plastic stock. I checked the headspace out (GTG), cut the cone off myself leaving the brake behind and put a 2.5X Weaver on it to see if it shot.

My Gawd it's loud. I also made a upper handguard for it (not pictured) and set it aside till I decided what to do with it.

I'll spray the barreled action with the DuraCoat and do the stock/HG in OD green.

LOL....Sorta like buying a '64 Valiant for $500.00, completely restoring it, and it's still only worth $500.00. ;)
While I tend to not like sporterized military weapons that much I think that one you have is kinda cool. Guess I kinda like the black and chrome look on somethings.
Have fun with it, that's what you're supposed to do with "inexpensive" guns. :thup:

Forum List

Back