Teachers Should Tolerate The "F" Word.

Discussion in 'Education' started by GotZoom, Aug 29, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    This is just crap.

-----

VICTORVILLE —Victor Valley Union High School District teachers have been coached on a new approach to disciplining students that has some teachers shaking their heads in disbelief.

One teacher has stepped forward to air her concerns publicly, although she said she is concerned about how doing so could affect her job security.

“There is a cultural war going on and evidently it is going on right at this school site,” said Julie Behrse, an art teacher at Maverick High School. “It really is a movement, and now it has a name,” she added, referring to what Speaker Ray Culberson called the “new professionalism.”

At issue is whether teachers need to adjust how they interact with and discipline students who misbehave, particularly students from difficult backgrounds.

Culberson, director of youth services for the San Bernardino City Unified School District, said at a back-to-school inservice meeting that students today have less respect for authority than they did when many teachers were in school and consequently, some teachers have unrealistic expectations of their students.

According to Culberson, many teenagers come to school with baggage from problems at home or other areas of their lives. Culberson described these students, who are prone to disruptive behavior, as “kids in chaos.”

The district superintendent, Julian Weaver, said Culberson’s message does not represent a change in district disciplinary policy, but Victor Valley has many students from chaotic backgrounds such as Culberson described, and teachers need to learn to interpret their students’ body language. When a student is visibly agitated, the teacher might not want to push any buttons by asking if he or she brought in homework that day.

“We need to see ourselves as teachers and adults in the classroom,” Weaver said, “but we shouldn’t see ourselves as dictators, where students see themselves as far less than the teacher.”

A teacher at Silverado High School, who asked to remain anonymous to protect her job, said she understood Culberson’s message to be that teachers need to do everything possible to reach students and keep them in school.

When Culberson asked the audience how many times they could tolerate hearing “f-— you” from a student and said he could personally handle more than 100 instances a day, the teacher said she felt the presentation became a bit “off the wall.” A teacher next to her told her that she would not tolerate one case of swearing.

Teachers should never take anything a student says personally, Culberson said. He referred to a teacher’s personal “f-— you” meter, meaning the number of times a teenager swears at them before they would discipline the student. If teachers have a low tolerance for bad behavior and frequently send a student out of the classroom, the students will drive them crazy whereas teachers with a high tolerance will be able to calmly follow school procedure and still discipline the student, Culberson said in an interview. Maverick High School principal Beth Crane declined to comment on Culberson’s speech, but principal Tracy Marsh of Silverado High School said state law prohibits vulgarity and swearing in the classroom and allows discipline ranging from suspension to being expelled, no matter what background a student comes from.

“Nothing a person from San Bernardino says can change state law,” Marsh said. “We do want to make sure that the example is set and the tone it set,” he said, referring to student behavior.

He added that although he did not attend the inservice, he spoke to four teachers at Silverado High School who heard the presentation and described it as a positive experience.

According to Weaver, Culberson received a standing ovation.

“Everything that I do is designed for the mental health of the teacher,” Culberson said, and added that he gives presentations free of charge.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/2006/115669067893658.html

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I'd love to read about teachers who aren't idiots...I'd love to read about those in authority having the sack to stand up for absolute truth. :-/

3. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I think it should be the other way around. Let the teachers cuss as much as they want.

4. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    i coach kids soccer....i had a player tell me to fuck off once....i looked at him and said...."son you no longer exist" and as far as i was concerned he didn't....his dad eventually asked me why he was not allowed to participate in parctices or games....i told him....dad called me and asshole....i looked at him and said...."sir you no longer exist"....kid never played for me again....nobody ever swore at me agian

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Reminds me of One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.
    The tread subject that is.

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    This dude does NOT understand human nature. If you allow kids to speak disrepectfully to you, then they somehow usually come up with this crazy notion that they don't HAVE to respect you.

It's drawing a firm line that stops the kids from going crazy. Otherwise, they're just thinking, "Well I got away with saying 'f@#$,' how about if I get in the teacher's face? No reaction to that? How about if I take a swing at him?"

Respect is an attitude. It's not so much about what they DO, as what they FEEL. If they are allowed to get away with ANY expression of disrespect, they will only push the envelope.

7. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Flash forward a few years and these same kids who were never taught to respect authority are sitting around wondering why they can't keep a job.

Democrates will blaim racism/classism, take your pick.

8. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Good lord. Can anthropologists pinpoint the year when we devolved into spineless humanoids?

9. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If teachers tolerate behavior like this from trouble students, it not only sends a bad message to those students, but to all the other students as well. This guy's a boob, nothing more.

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Unfortunately he’s somewhat typical of the current public school system. At least the major urban ones, sad but true..