Teacher shortage?? Or surplus of stupid kids??

Discussion in 'Education' started by Working Man, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    How the hell can the United States have a teacher shortage?? THe news report the other night said that US school districts are flying over to the Phillipines to hire school teachers.. Why??

You mean to tell me that we pay our teachers so little that they won't teach???
    Or do we dumb down public school students so much that they can't be taught to teach???

This country is just sinking lower, and lower everyday. It is no wonder that the little tyrant countries thumb their noses at us,, their people are teaching our kids!:bang3

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/06/eveningnews/main1689748.shtml

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    No, the starting wage around here is in the 30s, repeat after me UNIONS, UNIONS, UNIONS!!!

3. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    You speakum thruth Mr. P.

4. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    What China does at the end of elementary school, middle school, and high school is give every student a test. Whoever scores in the bottom third each time is then told that they can't continue with their education because they've demonstrated themselves to be low performers, and China only has room for high achievement students. That gets rid of any lazy, stupid, or useless people pretty fast. Either they shape up or get shipped out.

5. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Here (in CA, at least) the low scoring groups sue arguing those tests are unfair to minorities.

6. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    That's good, for china.

Move there. You endorse child and prison labor so much.

7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    As someone "in the trenches" I can tell you first hand that I have never met a teacher who left education due to low salaries.

Teachers are leaving education because of lack of respect, fear of lawsuits, and increasingly dumbed-down curriculum that makes them feel like they are part of the system of lowering standards that is making our nation fall further and further behind the competition.

To give you an example of what I mean - let me share with you some of the experiences I had this year:

- A parent taking my hand and saying "I think you're terrific. What you've done with my son this year has been amazing. Seriously, what are you doing here? With two master's degrees you need to get the hell out of here and get yourself into a real job that pays you something worthwhile. Educational law would be great and you'd still be "in the field."

- A 31 year veteran teacher stopping by my room daily to let me know that things were only getting worse and I should "get out while I still can."

- A parent threatening to sue me because I told him that since his 8th grader was reading on a 4th grade level I really couldn't recommend him for French instead of the Reading Strategies course designed to help him pass the PA Achievement tests.

- Parents arguing with me about why their child's special education paperwork can't read "Student will receive no grade lower than an 80%"

- Looking for old 4th and 5th grade text books in the supply closet to work with my students on concepts they are now being taught in 7th and 8th grade

I could go on.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love teaching. I'm going back for more next year.

But several of my collegues are not. And it has NOTHING to do with the union, or with their salary...but rather with our nation's increasing lack of respect for education.

In the past...you could call a parent when a child misbehaved and have an ally...now, you avoid calling the parent for fear of lawsuit. In the past, you could call a parent and say "You son isn't doing his homework," and they would do something about it. Now, they tell you to get off their kid's back, that homework is dumb anyway...that they read an article about a kid who didn't do homework and the school let him pass...how they never did homework and they were fine.

As long as we continue to be a nation that tells parents we will educate their children and they have no responsibility over it...as long as we allow students to fail or score abysmally with no consequences...as long as we allow teachers to be fired because its easier to hire another teacher than it is to fight a lawsuit...you will have teachers burning out and quitting.

For the most part, teachers are highly educated people with a firm committment to instilling a love of learning in young people. To chase them away from that dream takes a lot...and we should be very concerned about how many people are being chased away.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  8. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Same goes for the Netherlands: there is a serious gap between teachers and parents these days, that at present is at least in the news, as people are slowly waking up to the idea that it may not be a good idea to neglect the education of our future adults.

A good educational standard is essential for a country to keep the standards of living at a certain level that is desirable. A lack of education has in the past been the basis of a period we refer to as the Dark Ages.
    Time for the lights of reason to shine I'd say.
    Good luck with turning the tide at your side of the Atlantic.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

So sad. Now they're replacing you with people on board with the NWO decimation of america, foreigners they can control with visa status.

10. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Although some of the nations they are bringing teachers in from have a much stricter educational system than ours. I wonder how some of these new teachers will do in our "education-as-customer-service" mindset of what education should be?