Taqueria owner still in shock after customer allegedly shoots, kills robbery suspect in SW Houston

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
When I saw the news story and video (not either of the ones below posted in connection with the story), I had no doubt that the shooter whom I'll designate as V1, was perfectly within his rights to shoot the person who was committing this armed robbery whom I'll designate as R1.

The armed robber R1 pointed his gun at the shooter, V1 as well as at each of the other patrons in the restaurant, demanding their money. I saw the robber R1 point his gun at the shooter V1 at least once, I thought twice actually - once when he made his first general announcement that everyone should hand over their cash and swept the room with his weapon and again when he specifically was collecting money from each of the patrons. The shooter V1, who waited until R1 was done collecting the money from V1's table and had turned his back on VI who then shot him several times. R1 made it to the door where he collapsed. V1 approached the downed robber R1 and retrieved from his body the money that he had taken from everyone. He slapped the money down on one of the tables and told everyone in the taqueria to come and retrieve their money. He then grabbed R1's weapon and after examining it, threw it against the wall enraged perhaps because it turned out to be a toy. Surveillance video shows V1 and his dining partner leaving the taqueria and now the police want to talk to V1.

This is Texas where I would not expect any charges to be filed against V1 but I just posted a story last night about a case that appears at least to me to be the railroading of a young woman who dared to use a firearm against a known male (former/current intimate partner) who had beaten and raped her. She shot him because he had her younger brother in a headlock and thought that he was going to hurt him as well but the judge in that case refused to allow her to use the law that allows deadly force to defend one's own life or the life or another. My concern is that V1 may be viewed as having shot the armed robber R1 because he was pissed and wanted his money back as opposed to the situation being viewed as the allowed use of deadly force to protect oneself or another from IMMIMENT grievous bodily harm or death. In his favor I would think (hope) that the fact that R1 pointed the weapon at him multiple times may have made V1 think he needed to act before he pointed the weapon again with the intention of pulling the trigger that time (no way to know).

I'm just curious about what our concealed carry and lawful self-defense aficionados have to say about this scenario. The video is compelling in my opinion but again, I saw this on a T.V. news story and the videos below don't quite match what I remember (or think I remember :)) seeing.

HPD: Robber shot, killed by customer at taqueria in SW Houston
Taqueria owner still in shock after customer allegedly shoots, kills robbery suspect in SW Houston77

Its all pretty much academic here. The customer who did the shooting isn't going to come forward and he'd be a fool to do so.

I can't imagine the police making much of an effort to try and find him, when they have real criminals out there.

When I saw the news story and video (not either of the ones below posted in connection with the story), I had no doubt that the shooter whom I'll designate as V1, was perfectly within his rights to shoot the person who was committing this armed robbery whom I'll designate as R1.

The armed robber R1 pointed his gun at the shooter, V1 as well as at each of the other patrons in the restaurant, demanding their money. I saw the robber R1 point his gun at the shooter V1 at least once, I thought twice actually - once when he made his first general announcement that everyone should hand over their cash and swept the room with his weapon and again when he specifically was collecting money from each of the patrons. The shooter V1, who waited until R1 was done collecting the money from V1's table and had turned his back on VI who then shot him several times. R1 made it to the door where he collapsed. V1 approached the downed robber R1 and retrieved from his body the money that he had taken from everyone. He slapped the money down on one of the tables and told everyone in the taqueria to come and retrieve their money. He then grabbed R1's weapon and after examining it, threw it against the wall enraged perhaps because it turned out to be a toy. Surveillance video shows V1 and his dining partner leaving the taqueria and now the police want to talk to V1.

This is Texas where I would not expect any charges to be filed against V1 but I just posted a story last night about a case that appears at least to me to be the railroading of a young woman who dared to use a firearm against a known male (former/current intimate partner) who had beaten and raped her. She shot him because he had her younger brother in a headlock and thought that he was going to hurt him as well but the judge in that case refused to allow her to use the law that allows deadly force to defend one's own life or the life or another. My concern is that V1 may be viewed as having shot the armed robber R1 because he was pissed and wanted his money back as opposed to the situation being viewed as the allowed use of deadly force to protect oneself or another from IMMIMENT grievous bodily harm or death. In his favor I would think (hope) that the fact that R1 pointed the weapon at him multiple times may have made V1 think he needed to act before he pointed the weapon again with the intention of pulling the trigger that time (no way to know).

I'm just curious about what our concealed carry and lawful self-defense aficionados have to say about this scenario. The video is compelling in my opinion but again, I saw this on a T.V. news story and the videos below don't quite match what I remember (or think I remember :)) seeing.

Taqueria owner still in shock after customer allegedly shoots, kills robbery suspect in SW Houston77

the Robber had a fake gun.......play stupid....really stupid...games, and win stupid prizes.........this is Texas, not Chicago...what did the robber expect? In Chicago, he could have simply walked up to the register and taken the money without a gun.....

The shooter should have stayed...but since he left, he might be on the wrong side of the law in another way.....they will find him...too many ways to id him and his truck....

The shooter should have stayed...but since he left, he might be on the wrong side of the law in another way.....they will find him...too many ways to id him and his truck....

I am sure that the police COULD find this fellow, if they wanted to.

But why would they really want to? Leaving this guy on the loose without identifying him will put a little bit of "fear of God" into other would be restaurant robbers.

Keep those fellows, at least in the east Texas area on their toes.

Sounds like V1 needs an M1...4

I am sure that the police COULD find this fellow, if they wanted to.

But why would they really want to? Leaving this guy on the loose without identifying him will put a little bit of "fear of God" into other would be restaurant robbers.

Keep those fellows, at least in the east Texas area on their toes.

To clarify from my other post...he might have a problem with the law in another way, which is why he didn't stick around.....he might not have been able to own or carry the gun he used, he might be a criminal of some sort in his own way.......

The cops will have to find him...he was involved in a public shooting caught on video......at a minimum they need to know who he is and what his background is.....

Another Good Guy with Gun outcome to piss off the anti-2nd Amendment crowd. When are these anti-2nd Amendment people (The Left) going to realize that a potential mass shooter is less likely to pull something like this if even 15-20 percent of the crowd they are targeting is carrying a firearm?

I think they'll hammer him; But he wasn't wrong, and the one he put down will never rob or hurt anyone else again.

True...he might not be allowed to legally carry.

He might not be, but he could easily be permitted to as well.

And that's why they won't investigate. It isn't the police's job to look for problems when there is no one complaining and there might not have even been a law violated.

He might not be, but he could easily be permitted to as well.

And that's why they won't investigate. It isn't the police's job to look for problems when there is no one complaining and there might not have even been a law violated.
It's Houston, he'll be arrested for homicide.

It's Houston, he'll be arrested for homicide.

If the DA has his way, sure.

But the police departments- even if far left jurisdictions like Houston- tend to be a little bit more level headed.

I'm just guessing of course, but my guess is that the investigation into this will be quickly deep-sixed.

If the DA has his way, sure.

But the police departments- even if far left jurisdictions like Houston- tend to be a little bit more level headed.

I'm just guessing of course, but my guess is that the investigation into this will be quickly deep-sixed.
If it was gonna be, they woulda done lost the video. ;)

You seem to be thinking about police departments of yesteryear. Now they're all hammers and citizens are nails.

There's no judgement calls on their parts, they're not allowed to do that anymore.

They don't don't even view you as a human being, all they think is "How can I arrest this motherfucker?"

"I need an arrest".

They don't even try to prevent crime anymore by actively seeking out criminals very much.

They wait until something serious happens then try to catch somebody. While you get scraped up and put in a bag.

Even though 7 crimes were committed by the same one before they got to you and it was all easily traceable.

Last edited:
the Robber had a fake gun.......play stupid....really stupid...games, and win stupid prizes.........this is Texas, not Chicago...what did the robber expect? In Chicago, he could have simply walked up to the register and taken the money without a gun.....
In my opinion, whether the gun was real or fake has no bearing on whether the shooter was firing because he was pissed (and wanted his money back) or if he genuinely believed that he as well as one or more of the other patrons were at risk of imminent grievous bodily injury or death. I say this because the patrons had no way of knowing that the gun was not real and I believe the law doesn't make the distinction unless it's obvious it's not real or it had already been proven not to have been real (for example if you're in a training facility and the bright blue play guns are clearly marked as something innocuous)

In my opinion, whether the gun was real or fake has no bearing on whether the shooter was firing because he was pissed (and wanted his money back) or if he genuinely believed that he as well as one or more of the other patrons were at risk of imminent grievous bodily injury or death. I say this because the patrons had no way of knowing that the gun was not real and I believe the law doesn't make the distinction unless it's obvious it's not real or it had already been proven not to have been real (for example if you're in a training facility and the bright blue play guns are clearly marked as something innocuous)
And now we know that Mariyam trains with guns in "Hogan's Alley" scenarios.

watchout-badass.gif

Hey, good on ya sister, and if you ever have to do that thing, do it without hesitation, but I hope you never have to.

Forum List

Back