Surge in Cases of H.I.V. Tests U.S. Policy on Needle Exchanges

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
WASHINGTON — In 1988, arch-conservative Senator Jesse Helms successfully pushed Congress to prohibit federal dollars from being used to distribute sterile syringes to intravenous drug users, equating an effort meant to slow the spread of AIDS and other diseases to federal endorsement of drug abuse.

Mr. Helms, a North Carolina Republican, fretted that the ban would not last since it could be lifted if the surgeon general certified that needle exchanges were effective. He need not have worried. Despite ample health research showing that such programs can reduce the spread of disease, the ban on federal funding of needle exchanges has remained intact except for some easing when Democrats controlled the budget process for 2010 and 2011.

Now, with a severe outbreak of H.I.V. and hepatitis due to a surge in heroin use in states including Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia, the question of whether to let federal money support needle exchanges is back. Still, in contrast to a new willingness by state politicians to accept needle exchanges, Congress appears unlikely to overturn the moratorium even with drug problems hitting hard in states represented by those responsible for the spending bills that impose the ban.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/u...tests-us-policy-on-needle-exchanges.html?_r=0

The federal ban needs to be lifted. The needle exchange programs will actually prove to be more cost effective considering that you will pay down the road for health care.

Instead on spending money to give people free needles, we should spend the money to give them free heroin. Much more cost effective in the long run.

The only way that I could side with prescription heroin is if it was run like other countries have it. You have to fail at all other programs. You have to go to the doctors office or clinic and it is a small amount and you shoot it at the office.

This keeps 'em from stealing whatever isn't nailed down and it helps them maintain a job. They would have to try to reintegrate themselves with their family etc.

That's cold, man. :eusa_eh:

Dead cold. :FIREdevil:

Let them make their own choices. They want to do heroin, by all means. No need to stand in their way. Their life, let them make their own decisions. If it doesn't go well for them, that's on them.

The only way that I could side with prescription heroin is if it was run like other countries have it. You have to fail at all other programs. You have to go to the doctors office or clinic and it is a small amount and you shoot it at the office.

This keeps 'em from stealing whatever isn't nailed down and it helps them maintain a job. They would have to try to reintegrate themselves with their family etc.

No, just let them have as much as they want whenever they want. We'd see a dramatic decline in STDs spread through dirty needles, as well as overall drug use.

No, just let them have as much as they want whenever they want.

Right. Moving on.

Right. Moving on.

Why do you hate freedom?

Right. Moving on.

Why do you hate freedom?

Why are you a sock?

Clean needles should only be provided if the government is making them use heroin.

My I ask, What the Fuck is wrong with people that Heroin use is surging?

Really? Who grows up, not knowing that that shit is bad for you?

Who doesn't know that you can catch bad shit sharing needles?

They have been able to snort heroin for about a decade. For intensity they move to shooting it.

But, in Indiana it's Opana they are shooting. Although, heroin is pretty big there and in places like Ohio.

They have been able to snort heroin for about a decade. For intensity they move to shooting it.

But, in Indiana it's Opana they are shooting. Although, heroin is pretty big there and in places like Ohio.

So, you think they snort because it is less scary,and then once hooked they move to needles?

Dumbasses.

Clean needles should only be provided if the government is making them use heroin.
Why?
Why should they get clean needles? No one is making them use heroin. They can get clean needles on their own.

They can't. Otherwise there wouldn't be a surge in HIV cases.
Too bad isn't it. No one is making them use heroin. Isn't drug use the freedom to put whatever you want to into your body? The responsibility to get your own needles goes along with that freedom.

Or, they can use dirty needles and die, which is the better result.

So, you think they snort because it is less scary,and then once hooked they move to needles?

Dumbasses.

In part, but also because it's easier to cart around and use.

Right. Moving on.

Why do you hate freedom?

Why are you a sock?

Maybe you simply lack the fortitude to see things through.

I simply believe that people should be free to do whatever they want with their lives, so long as they aren't hurting anyone other than themselves. Dale Earnhart wanted to spend his life racing cars. That was his choice. And oh shit, it got him killed. But so what? That was his choice to take that risk.

I'm also a realist. Trying to save people from their own self created demons is always a losing battle. We are keeping drug use alive and thriving in our society by trying to save people we can't be saved by anyone other than themselves. Society is made stronger by letting people kill themselves with drugs than it is by trying to save lost causes or trying to stop people from doing drugs by threat of force and punishment, on the false premise that making people suffer will result in compliance with arbitrary moral standards.

Start handing out heroin like candy, start letting people drop like flies, and that's the kind of shit that will shock society into reforming itself, while also weeding out the weak elements of the herd. Within a couple years even trying heroin one time will be synonymous with instant death and nobody will want to ever pick up the habit.

Forum List

Back