Supremes Rule In Favor Of Baker

Local laws are local laws in some cases the court sides with the business and in some cases the customer.

Interesting. I think this is a good decision because few bakeries will turn down business for this reason. Gays don't need that protection as they are not at risk of not being able to have their cake.

AP is reporting that the SCOTUS has ruled in favor of the baker who would not bake a cake for a gay wedding. Links forthcoming.

This will have a massive effect.

A link to the decision:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-111_j4el.pdf

A quick scan of it makes me think this isn't a 100% win for the baker. Their case goes back to the commission that made the original ruling, but the SC directs the commission they have to take into account the baker's religious beliefs, something they did not think the commission originally did.

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court didn’t uphold liberty or the 1st Amendment in this case. What they essentially ruled on was that the process was “wrong” in this case against the baker.

Hopefully, citizens will continue to fight for our 1st Amendment rights until the Supreme Court does actually rule in favor of baker’s and other companies exercising their rights.

AP is reporting that the SCOTUS has ruled in favor of the baker who would not bake a cake for a gay wedding. Links forthcoming.

A link to the decision:

A quick scan of it makes me think this isn't a 100% win for the baker. Their case goes back to the commission that made the original ruling, but the SC directs the commission they have to take into account the baker's religious beliefs, something they did not think the commission originally did.

Yup. Those beliefs were discounted in the original case. Now the free exercise clause must be applied. It's quite a significant decision in the overall order of things.

That's fine....now let everyone know who a business will not serve.
upload_2018-6-4_7-31-16.jpeg
upload_2018-6-4_7-31-57.jpeg
upload_2018-6-4_7-32-43.jpeg

Interesting. I think this is a good decision because few bakeries will turn down business for this reason. Gays don't need that protection as they are not at risk of not being able to have their cake.
The owner offered to sell them other cakes, just not a wedding cake, I wonder if he does that to fornicators, adulterers or inter-racial relationships?

The 7-2 ruling returns the case to the commission directing them to review and take into consideration the religious views of the baker.

The commission, apparently, did not take those views into consideration in the original ruling.

The original law probably did not require such consideration, but considering the 1st Amendment's protection of religious belief, the commission should have at least mentioned why they were giving the PA requirements preference.

Last edited:

A link to the decision:

Yup. Those beliefs were discounted in the original case. Now the free exercise clause must be applied. It's quite a significant decision in the overall order of things.

The key is will the commission do the right thing, or double down on persecution.

That's fine....now let everyone know who a business will not serve. View attachment 196628 View attachment 196629 View attachment 196630

This was never about point of sale items, as you are falsely implying. It was about a contracted service for an event the owner found to be immoral based on his beliefs.

All this does is make the commission take this into account, and not ignore it like they did previously.

Not much to the link. This has just happened.

5 or 6 year old case where Baker refused, on religious grounds and beliefs
that he wouldn't bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. SCOTUS
overruled all the other courts in this case.

Notice one thing about the link, which is from CNN. Their wording. "A narrow
decision." lol. In SCOTUS rulings 7-2 isn't narrow, it's a fucking rout.

Supreme Court rules for Colorado baker in same-sex wedding cake case - CNNPolitics

The 7-2 ruling returns the case to the commission directing them to review and take into consideration the religious views of the baker.

Pretty much how i read it. It also goes into a lot of opinion of where the line is to be established.

I can see point of sale items being not covered under this, but contracted items covered in narrow situations, like a wedding ceremony.

Forum List

Back