Study: Poor children are now the majority in American public schools in South, West

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Study: Poor children are now the majority in American public schools in South, West - The Washington Post

A majority of students in public schools throughout the American South and West are low-income for the first time in at least four decades, according to a new study that details a demographic shift with broad implications for the country.

The analysis by the Southern Education Foundation, the nation’s oldest education philanthropy, is based on the number of students from preschool through 12th grade who were eligible for the federal free and reduced-price meals program in the 2010-11 school year.

Snip

But by 2011, almost half of the nation’s 50 million public-school students — 48 percent — qualified for free or reduced-price meals. In some states, such as Mississippi, that proportion rose as high as 71 percent.

In a large swath of the country, classrooms are filling with children who begin kindergarten already behind their more privileged peers, who lack the support at home to succeed and who are more than likely to drop out of school or never attend college.

So no one has a comment on Red states having the most poor children receiving benes?

I grew up poor. It is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. I learned as a teen that I could have nicer clothes than even the rich kids if I wanted to babysit and buy them with the money I earned. And I know I appreciated those things more than the rich kids did. I didn't have to worry about food. Food was a priority for my parents and we always ate good. We didn't eat fancy, but we had good wholesome food.

Of course, we MUST teach this crop of 'poor children' (not) that everything is free and you no longer have to work for anything. Just put your pore li'l hand out and it will be filled.

Last edited:
When i see things like this, my first thought...

how many of these "poor children" have cell phones, expensive designer clothing and shoes. I wonder how many of them go home to flat panel TV's with cable or satellite service.

how many of these "poor children" have cell phones, expensive designer clothing and shoes. I wonder how many of them go home to flat panel TV's with cable or satellite service.

All. And their welfare queen mammas have tats, piercings, hair extensions, and of course the ubiquitous 'baby daddy.'

Many thanks to Raygunists for wrecking the nonrich and the country by pandering to the greedy idiot rich, to W for the great recession, and to the TP FOR WRECKING the recovery with phony crises....FEQ THE UN-AMERICAN GOP...

All. And their welfare queen mammas have tats, piercings, hair extensions, and of course the ubiquitous 'baby daddy.'

You're a brainwashed racist moron with no grasp of reality. THANKS FOR NOTHING- GET A JOB.

And just so you know..... you should only quote a small part of others work...and then link to the rest....

I grew up poor. It is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. I learned as a teen that I could have nicer clothes than even the rich kids if I wanted to babysit and buy them with the money I earned. And I know I appreciated those things more than the rich kids did. I didn't have to worry about food. Food was a priority for my parents and we always ate good. We didn't eat fancy, but we had good wholesome food.

Of course, we MUST teach this crop of 'poor children' (not) that everything is free and you no longer have to work for anything. Just put your pore li'l hand out and it will be filled.

You need an entire bale to create a strawman that big

And why do you wonder that?

You're a brainwashed racist moron with no grasp of reality. THANKS FOR NOTHING- GET A JOB.

I don't need a job. I worked and saved for retirement and I am retired. Har de har har har! :D

Study: Poor children are now the majority in American public schools in South, West - The Washington Post

A majority of students in public schools throughout the American South and West are low-income for the first time in at least four decades, according to a new study that details a demographic shift with broad implications for the country.

The analysis by the Southern Education Foundation, the nation’s oldest education philanthropy, is based on the number of students from preschool through 12th grade who were eligible for the federal free and reduced-price meals program in the 2010-11 school year.

Snip

But by 2011, almost half of the nation’s 50 million public-school students — 48 percent — qualified for free or reduced-price meals. In some states, such as Mississippi, that proportion rose as high as 71 percent.

In a large swath of the country, classrooms are filling with children who begin kindergarten already behind their more privileged peers, who lack the support at home to succeed and who are more than likely to drop out of school or never attend college.

Most of the people coming into our country are the poor of Mexico. Would you agree? Why don't they reform mexico like you're trying to reform America?

Why are the red states so poor? Didn't repubs handout enough boot straps? How can they hate welfare and be on it so hard?

Forum List

Back