Study of Tea Party signs, finds vast Majority not racists.

Another personal experience story:

This week, a few members of the Tea Party in my state came to my college trying to talk to people about joining on the quad. I decided to go and see what they had to say. What I got were people who wanted small government supposedly but were for the War on Drugs, and other big government positions. What I got were people who wanted to instill term limits because supposedly we can't trust the American people with making their own decision about who they want in office. When I asked about social issues, they said the Tea Party only focuses on fiscal issues.

I pointed that however, the candidates who the Tea Party help support and get elected would also be making decisions on social issues. The answer I received was a non-answer, "well you really can't trust any politician". I asked whether Tea Party candidates would abstain from voting on social issues in that case, and I got another non-answer.

Just like the week previously, I gave a opportunity to a gentleman from the Larouche people to explain to me their positions and such. I got non-answers (they thought Obama was like Hitler but worshipped FDR, go figure). from them as well.

It seems to me that a lot of people who want smaller government simply have no idea how to go about and are nominating snake charmers who aren't going to give it.

No offense man, but your personal Experiences mean little to me. This is the internet why should I believe what you say.

I Have had personal Experiences with Tea Party rallies myself as well. Yet you do not see my bringing them up here. Because I can not prove them.

This thread is not about whether or not they would actually bring us limited government. It is about whether or not they are motivated by race or not.

So far I am the only one to provide any actual evidence on that subject at all.

I await your evidence that 30% of them are motivated by race. Or anyone else who wants to provide some evidence.

Last edited:
Ok so now, Can you provide any evidence of that Number? I never claimed this study proved anything, I simply said it was some Evidence of it.

in this one study only 5% of the signs were remotely racist in Nature. sure Signs are not the only way we can gauge this, but it is one way, and Liberals have in the past made claims that their rallies have a lot of racist signs in them. So a study like this is Relevant.

I am inclined to believe this studies results are probably pretty close to the reality.

Over half of them I believe are motivated purely by Wanting less government intrusion, and less spending and taxes. This study bears that out.

I believe only a small % of them are Motivated by race, and this study bears that out as well.

Conclusive proof? Of course not, Evidence hell yea.

I invite anyone to provide actual evidence to the contrary of this study.

No, you are more inclined to believe this studies result is pretty close to your reality.

The evidence I have to support my claims are studies/polls. Obviously if I post them, you'll just complain that they're bias or whatever. I have no inclination to try and convince someone who is already lashing out against me simply for questioning what they post. If you were actually more open to what I had to say, I might believe you actually want to hear what I have to say.

No offense man, but your personal Experiences mean little to me. This is the internet why should I believe what you say.

I Have had personal Experiences with Tea Party rallies myself as well. Yet you do not see my bringing them up here. Because I can not prove them.

"This is the internet why should I believe what you say."

This pretty much sums up the entire point of why I don't have the inclination of trying to have a conversation with you about this. Why would I waste my time making up stories about my daily life on a internet political message board? You can choose to believe or disbelieve whatever you want. I'm not out to try and convince you of anything.

Other people can read and decide for themselves who they agree or disagree with. I'm sure others will run and say how right you are while reinforcing their own view or what have you.

Personally, I don't care. All I came in this thread was to point out the illogical assumptions in your conclusions concerning this study. You decided to make this thread about I believe and how I feel about the tea party when in reality is irrelevant to what I'm saying.

Ok so now, Can you provide any evidence of that Number? I never claimed this study proved anything, I simply said it was some Evidence of it.

in this one study only 5% of the signs were remotely racist in Nature. sure Signs are not the only way we can gauge this, but it is one way, and Liberals have in the past made claims that their rallies have a lot of racist signs in them. So a study like this is Relevant.

I am inclined to believe this studies results are probably pretty close to the reality.

Over half of them I believe are motivated purely by Wanting less government intrusion, and less spending and taxes. This study bears that out.

I believe only a small % of them are Motivated by race, and this study bears that out as well.

No, you are more inclined to believe this studies result is pretty close to your reality.

The evidence I have to support my claims are studies/polls. Obviously if I post them, you'll just complain that they're bias or whatever. I have no inclination to try and convince someone who is already lashing out against me simply for questioning what they post. If you were actually more open to what I had to say, I might believe you actually want to hear what I have to say.

Sniverler. sniveler sniveler. dance and dodge, you do it every fucking time. idiot.

Sorry if I like to use Facts and evidence and not make assumptions based on Nothing.

LOL who is making assumptions now. If you have studies or Polls that show what you claim. Then post them. Don't hide behind the fact that you think I will dismiss them.

it is not about whether or not I want to hear what you say. You claim to have polls and studies that helped you make your assumption. So lets see them.

bring it on.

Last edited:

"This is the internet why should I believe what you say."

This pretty much sums up the entire point of why I don't have the inclination of trying to have a conversation with you about this. Why would I waste my time making up stories about my daily life on a internet political message board? You can choose to believe or disbelieve whatever you want. I'm not out to try and convince you of anything.

Other people can read and decide for themselves who they agree or disagree with. I'm sure others will run and say how right you are while reinforcing their own view or what have you.

Personally, I don't care. All I came in this thread was to point out the illogical assumptions in your conclusions concerning this study. You decided to make this thread about I believe and how I feel about the tea party when in reality is irrelevant to what I'm saying.

And what you gave us was you moronic assumption that 30% of them were racist. And, that's without a study. We don't call you MODMORON for nuttin.

I await your evidence that 30% of them are motivated by race. Or anyone else who wants to provide some evidence.

Once again, you provided no real actual evidence. Just a small study that reinforces your own view.

Here, I too can post a study to prove my point:

Tea Party Supporters: Who They Are and What They Believe - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Thirty percent of Tea Party supporters believe Mr. Obama was born in another country, despite ample evidence to the contrary. Another 29 percent say they don't know. Twenty percent of Americans overall, one in five, believe the president was not born in the United States.

Fifty-nine percent of Tea Party supporters have a favorable impression of Glenn Beck. Nearly as many, 57 percent, have a favorable impression of former President George W. Bush, despite his role in raising the deficit and overseeing TARP bailout of the financial sector.

See my point about the small government mantra being bullshit? Likely not.

Just 35 percent view John McCain favorably, and 28 percent view Ron Paul favorably.

28% view Ron Paul favorably. The father of the modern Tea Party Movement is viewed favorably by just 28% of the current movement. That is too ridiculous for words.

Fifty-three percent say the Roe v. Wade decision was a bad thing (compared to 34 percent of Americans overall), 40 percent oppose same-sex marriage and civil unions (compared to 30 percent overall)

More big government.

And their views on race:

Tea Party supporters are less likely than Americans overall to believe whites have more opportunities to get ahead than blacks.

Just 16 percent of Tea Party supporters say whites have more opportunities to get ahead, compared to 31 percent of all Americans. Seventy-three percent say both have equal opportunity, compared to 60 percent of Americans overall.

Fifty-two percent believe too much has been made of the problems facing black people. Far fewer Americans overall -- 28 percent -- believe as much. Among non-Tea Party whites, the percentage who say too much attention has been paid to the problems of black people is 23 percent.

A majority of Tea Party suppers believe the Obama administration treats both blacks and whites the same way. But one in four believe the administration favors blacks over whites, an opinion shared by just 11 percent of Americans overall and seven percent of non-Tea Party whites.

This week, a few members of the Tea Party in my state came to my college trying to talk to people about joining on the quad. I decided to go and see what they had to say. What I got were people who wanted small government supposedly but were for the War on Drugs, and other big government positions. What I got were people who wanted to instill term limits because supposedly we can't trust the American people with making their own decision about who they want in office. When I asked about social issues, they said the Tea Party only focuses on fiscal issues.

I pointed that however, the candidates who the Tea Party help support and get elected would also be making decisions on social issues. The answer I received was a non-answer, "well you really can't trust any politician". I asked whether Tea Party candidates would abstain from voting on social issues in that case, and I got another non-answer.

Just like the week previously, I gave a opportunity to a gentleman from the Larouche people to explain to me their positions and such. I got non-answers (they thought Obama was like Hitler but worshipped FDR, go figure). from them as well.

It seems to me that a lot of people who want smaller government simply have no idea how to go about and are nominating snake charmers who aren't going to give it.

So the War on Drugs is a dealbreaker for you?

I think the LaRouche people are your ticket.

And what you gave us was you moronic assumption that 30% of them were racist. And, that's without a study. We don't call you MODMORON for nuttin.

More illogical conclusions. In this day and age, anyone can make up a study that says anything they wish. With the right amount of money and influence, you can make it seem reputable. Never mind the fact we're on the internet and anyone can find evidence that reinforces their view.

Once again, you provided no real actual evidence. Just a small study that reinforces your own view.

Tea Party Supporters: Who They Are and What They Believe - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Thirty percent of Tea Party supporters believe Mr. Obama was born in another country, despite ample evidence to the contrary. Another 29 percent say they don't know. Twenty percent of Americans overall, one in five, believe the president was not born in the United States.

28% view Ron Paul favorably. The father of the modern Tea Party Movement is viewed favorably by just 28% of the current movement. That is too ridiculous for words.

Fifty-three percent say the Roe v. Wade decision was a bad thing (compared to 34 percent of Americans overall), 40 percent oppose same-sex marriage and civil unions (compared to 30 percent overall)

More big government.

And their views on race:

Tea Party supporters are less likely than Americans overall to believe whites have more opportunities to get ahead than blacks.

Just 16 percent of Tea Party supporters say whites have more opportunities to get ahead, compared to 31 percent of all Americans. Seventy-three percent say both have equal opportunity, compared to 60 percent of Americans overall.

Fifty-two percent believe too much has been made of the problems facing black people. Far fewer Americans overall -- 28 percent -- believe as much. Among non-Tea Party whites, the percentage who say too much attention has been paid to the problems of black people is 23 percent.

A majority of Tea Party suppers believe the Obama administration treats both blacks and whites the same way. But one in four believe the administration favors blacks over whites, an opinion shared by just 11 percent of Americans overall and seven percent of non-Tea Party whites.

Obama WISHES he had a 57 percent approval rating.

Anyone who supports the War on Drugs while proclaiming to be small government are clearly liars. The War on Drugs is perhaps the largest government expansion into the lives of private citizens in modern history.

People who proclaim to be small government while wanting to throw people who smoke marijuana into prison clearly are not basing their views on reality.

As for the LaRouche people, I found myself disagreeing with them almost entirely. They didn't make their case very well to me despite myself providing them ample opportunity to do so.

Anyone who supports the War on Drugs while proclaiming to be small government are clearly liars. The War on Drugs is perhaps the largest government expansion into the lives of private citizens in modern history.

People who proclaim to be small government while wanting to throw people who smoke marijuana into prison clearly are not basing their views on reality.

Drugs are inconsistent with a civil society.

More big government.

And their views on race:

I am not arguing whether or not they actually believe in Limited government on this thread.

From your own study

Nearly half say the main goal of the movement is to reduce the role of the federal government, far outdistancing any other consideration.

I just read that entire article and I do not see any proof in it that 30% of them are motivated by race.

I saw a lot about how they are white, not any thing at all that would prove they are motivated by race.

As for the LaRouche people, I found myself disagreeing with them almost entirely. They didn't make their case very well to me despite myself providing them ample opportunity to do so.

well I am one small government Conservative that wants the War on Drugs ended. I can't speak for the rest of the Tea Party.

Oh and please stop trying to derail this thread. We talking about whether or not the Tea Party is motivated by race.

Your study provided little evidence in either direction on that question.

I just read that entire article and I do not see any proof in it that 30% of them are motivated by race.

I saw a lot about how they are white, not any thing at all that would prove they are motivated by race.

Did you just decide to ignore the entire race part of the article? Never mind the fact 30% of them believe Obama is not born in this country and another 29% are not sure. 59% of the Tea Party according to that study/poll cannot say that they think Obama is born in the U.S.

Do you think Obama was born in Kenya?

Oh and please stop trying to derail this thread. We talking about whether or not the Tea Party is motivated by race.

Your study provided little evidence in either direction on that question.

I answered a question asked of me. I'm not trying to derail the thread and you know that.

Did you just decide to ignore the entire race part of the article? Never mind the fact 30% of them believe Obama is not born in this country and another 29% are not sure. 59% of the Tea Party according to that study/poll cannot say that they think Obama is born in the U.S.

Do you think Obama was born in Kenya?

No I did read the entire part about race. Which was mostly about what Race the Tea Party people are, and did not state in anyway that they are racists. Unless you like Rdean simply assume because they are mostly white they must be mostly racist.

No I believe Obama was born in Hawaii.

The fact that they question if he was born here or not. Says absolutely nothing at all about how they feel about race sir. Now you are making illogical assumptions. All you can assume from that is that they do not trust Obama, and believe he might lie.

You are making a leap that since 30% of them question his eligibility do to birth place, that they must be racists. I could simply be that they think his polices are so damaging and dangerous that latching on to any chance to bash him is a good idea. I personally do not agree with them on that issue, but I do not see how you can use it as evidence they are motivated by Race.

Last edited:
Drugs are inconsistent with a civil society.

So you're also for banning cigarettes and alcohol in that case, correct? Doesn't sound very small government to me.

I can get high on caffeine.

Cigarettes and alcohol have been around forever. If you invented them today, you could not sell them. If you invented an automobile today, you could not sell them.

There is no upside to more people who get high, on top of the people who already get drunk or hooked on nicotine.

If there is an inconsistent position on alcohol and tobacco, it's the government that wants to discourage their use and simultaneously depend on massive tax revenue from them.

Forum List

Back