Student Arrested After Wearing Gorilla Mask, Carrying Bananas at Black Lives Matter Protest

If all he did is wear a silly theatrical mask and hand out some fruit, he did nothing to justify his being arrested. If he was doing his thing on private property and was told to leave but refused, that would be illegal. But I haven't heard that is what happened.

"Criminal charges are pending before the local D.A." could be shorthand for they are looking for the best way to back out of this without incurring a substantial damage award for false arrest.

Last edited:
No, there will be no shortage of attorneys willing to take on this student's case.
As I'm sure you know, there are attorneys and there are attorneys. One shouldn't waste the potential for a major punitive damage award by allowing some ambulance-chaser to snatch his contingency share of a minor convenience settlement. But the calendars of trial lawyers of the Bill Kunstler caliber are usually full.

Federal law awards attorneys' fees and costs in cases like this.
I don't know if the civil rights violation in this example is significant enough to call for government intervention. The criminal aspect is insignificant and the civil case can be handled on contingency.

What happen to his right of Free Speech?
If burning an American flag is just exercising your right to free speech than carrying a banana and wearing a gorilla mask is also a demonstration of free speech no matter where he was! Speaking of which, would he have been arrested if he was not at a BLM meeting?

No way would any prosecution stick. The police 'arrested' him to get him out of there before shit hit fan.
Oh, if only I were the Dean, that young man would be writing a 25 page research paper on systemic racism in America.

Why? What is " systematic" about one (almost certInly stoned) dopey kid on a gorilla costume? What system are you referring to?
Racism is ingrained in our justice system. Black men are far more likely to be harassed, stopped, questioned, arrested for petty crimes that white people commit just as frequently. They are more likely to be convicted and put in prison for the same crimes as their white counterparts. They also seem to be getting killed by cops quite a lot, lately, for not good reasons.....

Your dubious interpretation of facts aside, what does any of that have to so with some dopey kid wearing a gorilla costume?
Dubious interpretation of facts? What do you think the gorilla costume and banana gifting was "saying?" Care to translate? It wasn't a repudiation of BLM or it's agenda. It was a simple personal insult to the blacks participating in the rally.

Black Livess screams "What do we want? Dead cops!" And nobody gets arrested or questioned, but some idiot wears a gorilla mask exercising his first amendment rights and he gets arrested.
Whats illegal about saying "we want dead cops?"
Asshole agitating bums threatening physical harm and death to cops is certainly more concerning than some idiot wearing a gorilla mask.
Idiots wearing gorilla masks, so to speak, are the root reason agitators are threatening physical harm to cops. So keep it up and take what you get. Racism pure and simple began this.

Black Livess screams "What do we want? Dead cops!" And nobody gets arrested or questioned, but some idiot wears a gorilla mask exercising his first amendment rights and he gets arrested.
Asshole agitating bums threatening physical harm and death to cops is certainly more concerning than some idiot wearing a gorilla mask.
Idiots wearing gorilla masks, so to speak, are the root reason agitators are threatening physical harm to cops. So keep it up and take what you get. Racism pure and simple began this.

BLM is a racist movement in it's simplest form

No. And why aren't you in Mass?

Went last evening and yes BLM is a racist movement. People are sick of it, this entire entitlement BS and slavery issue. Just fucking stop because it's going to reach a tipping point and trust me it's going to get ugly. These goons going around beating on innocent people, disrupting their lives, just fucking knock it off.

BLM is nothing more than a tool used by thugs to steal, loot, and vandalize. They do is be thinking' it is do be owed to dem.

Went last evening and yes BLM is a racist movement. People are sick of it, this entire entitlement BS and slavery issue. Just fucking stop because it's going to reach a tipping point and trust me it's going to get ugly. These goons going around beating on innocent people, disrupting their lives, just fucking knock it off.
Pointing out racism doesn't make you racist.
Also, "cops" aren't a race.

Protests get out of hand sometimes and I agree they should knock that part off. Extremists on both ends (including the kid in the gorilla suit) are giving their movements a black eye. But I was just referring to BLM's point that the criminal justice system does not give blacks a fair shake.

BLM is nothing more than a tool used by thugs to steal, loot, and vandalize. They do is be thinking' it is do be owed to dem.
No, that's not all BLM is. And you do lousy ebonics.

Protests get out of hand sometimes and I agree they should knock that part off. Extremists on both ends (including the kid in the gorilla suit) are giving their movements a black eye. But I was just referring to BLM's point that the criminal justice system does not give blacks a fair shake.

I never said cops are a race, if you're going to respond to me don't make shit up to enhance your argument...I'll call you out every time

Yes, BLM is a racist group. Tell one ALL lives matter...see what happens.

I never said cops are a race, if you're going to respond to me don't make shit up to enhance your argument...I'll call you out every time

You said BLM is racist. Their issue is COPS. Cops are not a race.
There is NOTHING wrong with the phrase "Black Lives Matter." What argument can there be? No, they're not? Good glory. When you repudiate the bedrock of their argument by turning it into a statement about you, it is disrespectful and infuriating. Personally, I do believe all lives matter, including black lives, but they take that phrase as a denial of their argument and a denial that their lives matter. So don't keep using it, okay?

There is NOTHING wrong with the phrase "Black Lives Matter." What argument can there be? No, they're not? Good glory. When you repudiate the bedrock of their argument by turning it into a statement about you, it is disrespectful and infuriating. Personally, I do believe all lives matter, including black lives, but they take that phrase as a denial of their argument and a denial that their lives matter. So don't keep using it, okay?

I don't think you know BLM as well as you think you do. Why is BLM members beating on white people? Answer that w/o the deflection. BLM is a racist organization, a disorganized mess and people are sick of them. I know I am, violence and rioting is not the answer, it's never going to work

I don't think you know BLM as well as you think you do. Why is BLM members beating on white people? Answer that w/o the deflection. BLM is a racist organization, a disorganized mess and people are sick of them. I know I am, violence and rioting is not the answer, it's never going to work
When and where were they beating on white people just for being white? Too many voices are getting lumped together with BLM as if they are the only black activist organization in town. Just like the Trump protesters who included not only Sanders supporters but fucking anarchists and adrenaline junkies who just wanted a fight. The few give the movement a bad name. I don't like the violence and rioting anymore than you do, but you are ignoring the peaceful protests that have been going on. Maybe that's why some of them are becoming riots. Peaceful protests allow us to ignore them.

Both are a clear intention to incite a hazardous reaction. He is lucky he wasnt beat up or shot.
"Beat up or shot." The immediate solution to all problems.

Why do you suppose our national prison census looks the way it does?
Thats easy. Its because the justice system has been proven to incarcerate Blacks at a higher rate for the same offenses whites do even though more whites are actually in prison.
It's the same thing with Muslims and terrorism. Blacks overwhelmingly commit most of the crimes therefore they are profiled more by cops, and the justice system at times treats them unfairly. To properly address the problem there needs to be a holistic socio economic approach to the plight of blacks in this country, their family values, schools, jobs, and education. Unfortunately black people do not have good leaders, all they have are con artists and corrupt political hacks that only make their situation worse. President Obama is a good example of that.
Thats not true. Whites commit more drug offenses and are prosecuted less. Try something that isnt so easily debunked.

Forum List

Back