Stories from Your Spiritual Life

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
My personal outlook on life has been informed by Buddhist teachings. I got into Buddhism about a year after my father committed suicide. Life hasn't been easy. I have had many traumas, losing my father was one of them that occurred in my young adulthood. I was spiritually unprepared to meet the trauma of that loss. My early Catholic training as a child to adolesence did not leave me with a way to put my father's death in some perpective peacefully. According to the RCC, my dad was bound for eternal damnation and ex-communicated from the RCC for committing suicide. There was no ceremony. My father hadn't practiced as a Catholic for most of his life and when he died it was very sad.

I was bereft of a way to help myself and help him. For a year, I was in shock. I wasn't able to cry or grieve him. I headed to the Theosophical Library and started to investigate other spiritual paths.

I attended my first Buddhist teaching on the Four Noble Truths.

The First Noble Truth is that life is suffering. There is suffering in birth, suffering in childhood, suffering in adolescence and young adulthood, suffering in sickness and suffering in death. I could relate to that. The year before my father died I had a life threatening illness and nearly died myself. I could see that this teaching was true for my father too.

The next Noble Truth is cause of suffering is not seeing that everything we cling to, our bodies, our lives, our loved ones, is impermanent. I knew from my loss the truth of impermanence.

The Third Noble Truth is the truth of the cessation of suffering. Here I was raised in a system that emphasized eternalism--either eternal hell or eternal heaven, and it intrigued me that there was a possibility of an end to suffering as I knew it then. That enlightenment is possible, even in this very life, and that a man named Prince Gautama Siddhartha, the Shakyamuni Buddha had realized this 2500 years ago.

The Fourth Noble Truth is the Truth of the Path that leads to the cessation of suffering. The is the truth of the path of meditation.

I attended my first Buddhist meditation retreat. It was very strict. Ten days of silence. Sitting meditation for one hour, watching the breath and body sensations, walking for one hour, noticing the touch of the foot on the ground, sounds, smells, sights and thoughts passing through. No eye contact with anyone there. I didn't know a soul. A hundred of us sat together in this hall overlooking the rushing river in a deep forest green.

I was going out of my mind. I couldn't sit still for a second. During the sitting meditation my mind wandered continuously. I'd be stuck on some popular song or running every movie I had ever seen or being completely distracted by the pain in my knees, in my back, in my neck, in my shoulders. I hated it. I felt like I was in boot camp. Even the meals were no source of entertainment. They were held in silence. There was even an eating meditation, this kind of microscopically slow eating of noticing, the smell of the food, the colors of the food, lifting the fork to the mouth, tasting, chewing, swallowing. Intending to take another bite, lifting, placing the food in the mouth, etc etc etc.

What I wanted to do was what I customarily did, which was check out, space out, talk. Anything but notice what was going on inside of me.

Then something really intense happened. The teacher announced that two people on the staff at the retreat land had just been killed in an auto accident. The community was in turmoil and could not support our retreat. The community was going to burn the bodies of the dead and their belongings on the retreat land. The structure of the retreat had to go on without the teachers so that they could attend to the funeral. We were all on our own to sit, walk, eat, sleep and not look at or talk to each other. The final instruction was to notice the breath, since we never know when we will have our last.

I broke like a dam. All the grief I hadn't felt for my father's death flooded me. I cried and cried and cried. I could not help myself. My eyes were closed, snot was running down my face, and when I was finally able to open my swollen eyes when the bell rang there was a pile of kleenex in front of me and I had no way of knowing who had done me the kindness of offering the tissues.

For three days, the funeral went on. I sat, and walked, and ate in silence, all the time returning my mind to the breath. Across the river the community sat in meditation, over a huge bonfire. I smelled human flesh burning for the first time. Something was happening to me but I wasn't fully aware of it. My heart had opened and my mind was at peace. I sat from five am to nine pm alternately sitting and walking, eyes to the ground, internal, and when I got back to my tent at night I sat longer. Sometimes till 12 or 1, I think. I had dreams of Anandamayima visiting me. (At the time, I didn't know Anandamayima was real. She actually lived and taught in India at the river Ganges. She appeared to me in a dream and I asked what is your name and what does it mean? She told me her name meant 'mother of great bliss'. Many years later I was to go on a pilgrimage to India and sit in the place where she taught. Anandamayima died the year of my first retreat. She was a woman in her sixties. In my dream she appeared in a youthful form. It was many years later that I would see her picture in a book on Hindu saints and recognize her as my dream image.)

At the end of the tenth day, we broke silence, and I felt as though I was so open that I didn't even have any skin.

What had become clear to me during the retreat was the truth of the cause of suffering, impermanence, and the peace that comes from not clinging, not wishing things to be other than how they are.

At that point, I met my wife. learned that in Buddhism, not even hell is permanent. It was a great relief to me that there was something I could do to help my father. I learned practices that I engage in that would help my father in the afterlife. I sponsored yogi's in long term retreats to do those practices until I could learn them myself.

I had a touch of an experience of the Third Noble Truth of the cessation of suffering and it had come to me from the path of meditation--the Fourth Noble Truth. It was 1982.

That's the first story of how I started to study Buddhist meditation. I did not consider myself a Buddhist until five years later.

Please tell your story. How has your life been touched by your path of spiritual or religious practice? If you don't follow a religion, then how has your life experience taught you a way to manage life events in a way that helps you find peace and happiness?

Last edited:
  • Banned
For three years after that first retreat I practiced meditation alone. I didn't want to join anything or consider myself any religion.

I attended my second silent retreat in 1985, at the same retreat land, where I met my wife. In our new romance we went to Buddhist teachings and attended silent retreats.

In 1987, we did a two month silent retreat in New Mexico, just she and I.

• Banned
I talked to God.

You mocked me.

True Story.

That was wrong of me. I was insensitive to your story and hurt your feelings. I'm deeply sorry for that. I'm not a generally unkind or insensitive person. Please show me the words I wrote. I'm sometimes more careless when I post than I should be.

I don't doubt your sincerity. When I questioned you about praying to God you were persistent and I recognize that praying to God is an essential practice for you. I shouldn't have been so callous. There is nothing worse than having someone question your faith.

All I can say is I am no buddha. If my Buddha nature was evident I would have no need to practice. I have many flaws, including some habits to respond off the cuff, without thinking. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and I don't read the post very carefully. These are bad habits that I am working on.

Everyday I make positive aspirations, sometimes, I don't make to breakfast without breaking a vow. Other days, I get all the way to lunch time. Some days, I even make to dinner.

I do examine my mind every night, regret when I've blown it, vow to improve, and rejoice when I've been virtuous and skillful.

Last edited:
  • Banned
At the end of the two month retreat, we headed home. When we arrived we heard about a woman from Brooklyn who had been recognized as a tulku and we determined to go to her teachings in Ashland. An eight hour drive from home we drove through a forest fire to get there in order to meet Gyaltrul Rinpoche and Jetsumma Akhon Lamo.

• Banned
Does anyone have a conversion story? Again 'born again' experiences? What's your story as a Christian?

When I was growing up being a Christian meant being Catholic, which I was taught, is the ONE, TRUE, HOLY and APOSTOLIC CHURCH. I grew up in a Catholic neighborhood. Not a lot of diversity of Christians.

I knew about Lutherans, (reject them, they don't believe in the Virgin Mary), Methodists, Presbyterians, Assembly of God, Episcopalians, and a few others.

Now, there are SO many different kinds of Christians I can't keep track of them all. It's hard to know who's a friend and who's a foe.

The RCC taught me to be suspicious of any Christian group that was NOT Catholic. It was an early prejudice that I haven't completely licked.

On a one to one basis, I work with many Christians and find them to be good people.

As political organizing blocks, I find evangelicals and mega church groups frightening.

Interestingly enough, people get mad when I express my fear. I don't know if that is helpful to someone who's afraid. Kindness works better for me.

• Banned
Marie-

I love your story about how Christianity informs your life.

sky

I usually don't share my experiences unless prompted to. I consider many of them sacred.

However, I can tell you I've had many experiences. I've seen miracles. I've been healed by the Spirit. The greatest miracles Ive witnessed is watching the hearts of people change. Many of them being good friends now.

It's only because of my spiritual experiences that I know there is a God. If I had not learned for myself I'd still be questioning whether He was there or not. It's only through the testimony I've recieved from the Spirit that I learned that Jesus is the Christ. That He atoned and died for my sins. That the Bible and Book of Mormon are true. I'd be ignorant of these facts if not for the grace of God.

The Lord really has blessed me alot. I only wish I was a more faithful servant.

Sky,

Here's my story. It's gonna be a little long, so please bear with me.....

I grew up in a devoutly Lutheran home. For those not familiar with the Lutheran Churcn, it's jokingly referred to as "the back door of the Catholic Church". It's based on the teachings of Martin Luther, a 16th century German monk who felt the Catholic Church was doing some things the wrong way. He posted 95 articles that he felt were wrong with the RCC on the door of the church in Whittenburg Germany. The RCC excommunicated him and hunted him down for a number of years.

For many years my own faith was exceptionally strong. I had the opportunity to see the Holy Spirit work in many ways in my life and in the lives of those around me and those that I saw beyond my immediate world. However, something still never really added up for me. There were too many questions. Too many things that couldn't be answered. Too many seeming inconsistancies.

When I went away to college I started taking a much broader look at religion and spirituality in general. I met up with a number of people from a wide diversity of faiths, including many non-traditional faiths. Having taken a "Comparative Religions" class in high school I was already somewhat aware of many of these faiths, but less so about the non-traditional ones. There was a lot there that intrigued me. Espeically when you consider some of the things that I had experienced earlier in life that the church couldn't explain....

Over the course of my life I've had any number of odd and unusual experiences. I have seen ghosts. I have see fae and other "little folk". I have had many, many mental/psychic occurances throughout my life. The church not only couldn't explain these things, but refused to even accept that they had happened. These new, non-traditional, spiritual groups had some answers for some of those things, and they actually made some sense.

After college, I moved back home and returned to a much more active membership in the Lutheran Church. To the point where, at age 23, I was an elected officer of the church. However, those ideas and things from the other religious/spiritual paths never really left my mind.

In 1998 I moved to Massachusetts and in with a pair of roommates who were/are ecclectic pagans. Due to some issues in the church I had been attending, I really didn't go out of my way to find a new church here in Mass. I would occasionally attend services, but mostly on Easter, Christmas, and odd times inbetween.

That fall my father, the most truly good and faithful person I've ever known, contracted Skin Cancer. Despite his faith, and the prayers of more people than I can count, he passed away on August, 22, 2001; his 54th Birthday. That threw my entire religious/spiritual world into a tailspin. Here was the most decent person I'd ever met, struck down just as his life was starting to come together, despite all of his good works, his Faith, and the prayers of at least 6 different congregations and more individuals than I could count.

That event sent me on a two year journey of discovery. I walked into churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, and just about every other sort of religious place of worship I could find. I spoke in person, on the phone, and via the internet with dozens of ministers, holy men, and other religious leaders from a wide variety of organized faiths. At the end of those two years I was still no closer to an answer than I was as I carried that coffin out of Grace Lutheran Church on the Saturday after my father's death.

It was after that point in time that I started to expand my search beyond the organized religious/spiritual groups; and only after that did I come to the "realizations" that I live with as my spirituality today. I can't say that I follow a particular path. I would consider myself a "solitary, ecclectic, pagan." My viewpoint is that every different religious path out there is both Completely Right and Completely Wrong at the same time. Do I believe in God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Thor, Zeus, Aphrodite, The Goddes, or The Great Spirit? YES and NO at the same time. I believe they all exist; but I don't believe that any ONE of them is the ONLY path.

In fact, I have come to believe that each and every one of us has to find our own path. A path that we can walk ourselves. It may be next to someone else's path, but it is not the same path. It doesn't necessarily come from the same place and may not go to the same place either.

I'm sure that is absolutely no help to anyone, and that most of you think I need to be institutionalized right now; but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Very interesting and wonderful story, Sky. I am very glad that you were able to find your mother and have some level of relationship with her prior to her death. Mental illness can be a very difficult thing to deal with so I would hope that you wouldn't be too hard on your father's family.

As for the statue.... some Powers don't like having their territories "invaded" by other powers and become very protective of their places in the world. That sounds like what happened with the Quan Yin statue; at least to me.

Well, here goes mine........

I was baptized into the Lutheran Church (still have my birth medal and baptism cloth), but then, my mother got divorced from my father and married another man. When I was 1 year old, my bio father had called my mother and asked if she would have me adopted by a dude named Murphy. He offered to pay her 25,000 (his family was very wealthy), and so she had me adopted.

Lutheran beliefs were out for me at that time because of my bio father.

I was then introduced to another belief system (Episcopalian I think), and was told that if I didn't believe as they did, then I was going to hell. Pretty heavy trip for a 5 year old.

She got divorced from him, and married another guy who was Catholic, so I and my 1/2 sister went to Catholic school for a while. The dude she'd married was a wife beater as well as a child abuser. I paid pretty heavy prices until I was 8.

Then.....at 8, my mother died in a car wreck. She had just gotten divorced from the last guy and was on her way to pick us up, when she went over a 70 foot cliff. She lived for 7 days.

I lived with my uncle Bill and aunt Sandy for a year, and then was sent to live with my Grandparents. I stayed with them until I was 12, and then was put into foster care.

The family I lived with until 16 were very devout Baptists. Again....I was told that I had to forget all I'd learned before and believe as they did, or else I would go to hell. After seeing how they did things (I was their primary meal ticket, because the foster family program I was in paid for everything........and I ended up with hand me downs, their son was the same size as me), I figured out they weren't very decent people and ran away.

I lived with my Grandparents until I joined the Navy at 17 1/2, and was in boot camp 3 days after I'd turned 18. Now......my Grandparents weren't particularly religious, but they did have strong ethics and required me to be a decent person and not lie or steal. The set of morals that I received from my Grandparents made sense to me (nothing from Christianity ever did, because they mixed it all up. Now......here's where Father (that's what I call God, because that's how I learned how to pray) touched my life in a big way. When I ran away from foster care, I only had 30 bucks in my pocket. I'd been told by my caseworker that I had to get a bus back home, or else there would be serious consequences. So.....I went to the bus station and just as I got to the door, the bus to Missoulla was just pulling into the street. It had left early for some reason. I asked how much for a ticket to Great Falls, and was told 25 bucks, which left enough for me to get a meal when I arrived. I got there at midnight and was hoofing it to Vaughn (which is 10 miles from Great Falls), and when I arrived at the truck stop, I stopped for a meal to tide me over until I made it to Vaughn. When I was walking across the parking lot heading out, a VW bug with 3 dudes came up and offered me a ride. They were college students heading back to Missoulla (and no, coincidences aren't real......it's just Father showing you He's there with the synchronicity He has), and offered to take me to there, but I said thanks......I'll just be needing to stop at Vaughn. Now......my personal take on that was Father asking me if I was sure this is what I wanted.

Because of things like that, as well as quite a few others, I knew God existed, but I didn't appreciate Christians because so many of them had outright lied to me and I knew it. Combine that with my childhood, and you could easily see why I had no use for Christians. I was that way for a very long time until around 1994, when I took up a search for some kind of spirituality that worked for me. I researched Zen, Buddhism (although I like their beliefs, I could never swallow the idea that a human could become a diety), and finally found Tao with the help of a friend named Jim.

What I'd read made a great deal of sense to me. And.....it also softened my views on others who had different belief systems than mine (i.e. Christians), and I found that I no longer disliked them and also found that I had more in common with many than I'd previously thought, and I started to learn from them.

Probably one of the biggest aids to my spiritual path was what a friend of mine named Owen Robards once told me. He noticed that I had a lot of trouble with people who had faith, and he told me....."Rob, don't look for the differences, look for the similarities, you'll get much farther."

Probably the best advice I'd ever gotten.

And then.......about 6 years ago, I met a lady named Lois. She brought me a great deal of stuff on Judaic theology. That, combined with what I'd learned up to then (looking for similarities rather than differences), I saw that Tao and Judaic theology were exceedingly similar.

I'm still a Taoist, and probably will be forever, but I've also learned that many religions have a bit of truth in them (some more than others), because there are many similarities. Is Father a Christian? Probably not. I don't really think that Father requires us to believe in any one way or another, because no one religion can fully understand Him, and, because we're all different, it really doesn't matter what path connects you to Him, be it Buddhist, Taoist, Judaic or Christian philosophy and theology, it just matters that you contact Him on a regular basis.

Wanna know how I know that Father is listening to me and talking back? That's right.....whenever I want to make sure, I ask if He will show me it's really Him, and He does by providing me with some of His synchronicity.

Coincidences only occur to people who wish to discount Father.

Well, here goes mine........

I was baptized into the Lutheran Church (still have my birth medal and baptism cloth), but then, my mother got divorced from my father and married another man. When I was 1 year old, my bio father had called my mother and asked if she would have me adopted by a dude named Murphy. He offered to pay her 25,000 (his family was very wealthy), and so she had me adopted.

Lutheran beliefs were out for me at that time because of my bio father.

I was then introduced to another belief system (Episcopalian I think), and was told that if I didn't believe as they did, then I was going to hell. Pretty heavy trip for a 5 year old.

She got divorced from him, and married another guy who was Catholic, so I and my 1/2 sister went to Catholic school for a while. The dude she'd married was a wife beater as well as a child abuser. I paid pretty heavy prices until I was 8.

Then.....at 8, my mother died in a car wreck. She had just gotten divorced from the last guy and was on her way to pick us up, when she went over a 70 foot cliff. She lived for 7 days.

I lived with my uncle Bill and aunt Sandy for a year, and then was sent to live with my Grandparents. I stayed with them until I was 12, and then was put into foster care.

The family I lived with until 16 were very devout Baptists. Again....I was told that I had to forget all I'd learned before and believe as they did, or else I would go to hell. After seeing how they did things (I was their primary meal ticket, because the foster family program I was in paid for everything........and I ended up with hand me downs, their son was the same size as me), I figured out they weren't very decent people and ran away.

I lived with my Grandparents until I joined the Navy at 17 1/2, and was in boot camp 3 days after I'd turned 18. Now......my Grandparents weren't particularly religious, but they did have strong ethics and required me to be a decent person and not lie or steal. The set of morals that I received from my Grandparents made sense to me (nothing from Christianity ever did, because they mixed it all up. Now......here's where Father (that's what I call God, because that's how I learned how to pray) touched my life in a big way. When I ran away from foster care, I only had 30 bucks in my pocket. I'd been told by my caseworker that I had to get a bus back home, or else there would be serious consequences. So.....I went to the bus station and just as I got to the door, the bus to Missoulla was just pulling into the street. It had left early for some reason. I asked how much for a ticket to Great Falls, and was told 25 bucks, which left enough for me to get a meal when I arrived. I got there at midnight and was hoofing it to Vaughn (which is 10 miles from Great Falls), and when I arrived at the truck stop, I stopped for a meal to tide me over until I made it to Vaughn. When I was walking across the parking lot heading out, a VW bug with 3 dudes came up and offered me a ride. They were college students heading back to Missoulla (and no, coincidences aren't real......it's just Father showing you He's there with the synchronicity He has), and offered to take me to there, but I said thanks......I'll just be needing to stop at Vaughn. Now......my personal take on that was Father asking me if I was sure this is what I wanted.

Because of things like that, as well as quite a few others, I knew God existed, but I didn't appreciate Christians because so many of them had outright lied to me and I knew it. Combine that with my childhood, and you could easily see why I had no use for Christians. I was that way for a very long time until around 1994, when I took up a search for some kind of spirituality that worked for me. I researched Zen, Buddhism (although I like their beliefs, I could never swallow the idea that a human could become a diety), and finally found Tao with the help of a friend named Jim.

What I'd read made a great deal of sense to me. And.....it also softened my views on others who had different belief systems than mine (i.e. Christians), and I found that I no longer disliked them and also found that I had more in common with many than I'd previously thought, and I started to learn from them.

Probably one of the biggest aids to my spiritual path was what a friend of mine named Owen Robards once told me. He noticed that I had a lot of trouble with people who had faith, and he told me....."Rob, don't look for the differences, look for the similarities, you'll get much farther."

Probably the best advice I'd ever gotten.

And then.......about 6 years ago, I met a lady named Lois. She brought me a great deal of stuff on Judaic theology. That, combined with what I'd learned up to then (looking for similarities rather than differences), I saw that Tao and Judaic theology were exceedingly similar.

I'm still a Taoist, and probably will be forever, but I've also learned that many religions have a bit of truth in them (some more than others), because there are many similarities. Is Father a Christian? Probably not. I don't really think that Father requires us to believe in any one way or another, because no one religion can fully understand Him, and, because we're all different, it really doesn't matter what path connects you to Him, be it Buddhist, Taoist, Judaic or Christian philosophy and theology, it just matters that you contact Him on a regular basis.

Wanna know how I know that Father is listening to me and talking back? That's right.....whenever I want to make sure, I ask if He will show me it's really Him, and He does by providing me with some of His synchronicity.

Coincidences only occur to people who wish to discount Father.

Great post, Rob. It shows why some of us had to reject organized, authoritarian forms of Christianity and seek other ways to find the truth of being.

I attended my first Buddhist teaching on the Four Noble Truths.

The First Noble Truth is that life is suffering. There is suffering in birth, suffering in childhood, suffering in adolescence and young adulthood, suffering in sickness and suffering in death. I could relate to that. The year before my father died I had a life threatening illness and nearly died myself. I could see that this teaching was true for my father too.

The next Noble Truth is cause of suffering is not seeing that everything we cling to, our bodies, our lives, our loved ones, is impermanent. I knew from my loss the truth of impermanence.

The Third Noble Truth is the truth of the cessation of suffering. Here I was raised in a system that emphasized eternalism--either eternal hell or eternal heaven, and it intrigued me that there was a possibility of an end to suffering as I knew it then. That enlightenment is possible, even in this very life, and that a man named Prince Gautama Siddhartha, the Shakyamuni Buddha had realized this 2500 years ago.

The Fourth Noble Truth is the Truth of the Path that leads to the cessation of suffering. The is the truth of the path of meditation.

Dear Sky: the path to the end of suffering is the "Middle Way" or moderation, neither clinging to extreme happiness or extreme suffering, but finding balance where there is harmony peace and agreement.

In Christianity the path of destruction is broad, but the righteous gate is narrow and very few shall find it. What is universally true is where all paths agree. So when we stick to where we agree, where conflicts are resolved, there is no competition or struggling. In each relationship we find the middle ground between your way or my way, them vs us, this side vs that side, and equally stretch, give and take, to meet in the middle to maintain harmony with all.

So this is what Christ Jesus fulfills by bringing divine forgiveness and correction that makes all things equal and right and just. In this spirit, the spirit of truth which sets us free from past division and strife, and the spirit of Restorative Justice that Christ Jesus brings, we break free from the cycle of retributive justice (as in the Old Testament history where laws and knowledge were abused to oppress and commit injustice in the name of justice).

Christ fulfills all paths and makes them whole, both the tribes under divine laws as the Jews Muslims and Christians, and the tribes under natural laws as the secular gentiles, teh Greek ethics, the Buddhists and even Constitutionalists, atheists, agnostics and other nontheists who use science to understand and study truth.

The practice of meditation allows us to let go, to look deep inside at the roots of sin and suffering in ourselves. The Buddhists call this karma that is passed down and carried from one generation to the next, conditioning and biasing us to react this way or that way. The Christians call these generational curses or sins revisited upon future generations until the cycle or curse is broken in Christ Jesus, through divine forgiveness and saving grace that is unconditionally given in love in order to break through the human conditions.

But the meditation itself is not the path in itself, but a major tool or key to the practice. It is the key to following the journey and working with what we are given in life, receiving the blessings by forgiving the flaws and conflicts along our learning curve.

All paths lead to a realization of what is this power of restorative justice that allows all relations to be restored, all wrong to be righted, all wounds to be healed, all conflicts to be forgiven and corrected so that truth and wisdom may be shared by all equally.

So that is how Christ Jesus leads all souls to God and salvation.
Yes, meditation helps to see what we need to forgive and where our biases have caused conflict and suffering with others; but then the cure is forgiveness through prayer and receiving healing and grace. So that is what receiving the Holy Spirit means.
Not just in ourselves but in our relations with others that the whole world receives.

The more we let go, the more we receive.
The more we have to forgive in life, the more blessings we receive to the extent proportional; thus those who have suffered more will also receive greater healing and relief than those who suffer less and are just as thankful for that, so there is justice in the world no matter what our experiences are compared with anyone else.

When we forgive and we realize this peace, we have heaven on earth or the Kingdom of God. Both the paths of Buddhism and Christianity are fulfilled in this way.

Last edited:
Dear Sky Dancer: I am sorry to hear about the suicide of your father, though it led to your current study of the wisdom in Buddhism which is a good outcome of such a difficult loss. I am also sorry to hear your family did not receive the support you needed for your mother and half-sister's schizophrenic condition. In recent years, there are more cases of diagnosing which cases can be treated spiritually, and some completely cured! So I have also gone through past issues that could have been prevented in hindsight and sorry to hear how the same has happened in your family. May you find comfort to know that there is more knowledge, research and study into spiritual help for these ills and tragic losses and problems.

For suicide, the teachings in both Buddhism and Christianity help to identify the cause of the guilt, depression or spirit of suicide, and to remove the ill or demonic spirit by prayer.

For schizophrenia, I recommend two books with testimony of healing severe cases that regular psychiatory or medication could not cure on their own. HEALING by Dr. Francis MacNutt and Glimpses of the Devil by Dr. Scott Peck. Peck changed his beliefs from dismissing the idea of demons and exorcism as mentally induced, to urging other psychiatric doctors to research these spiritual methods of diagnosis and treatment as a valid fields of therapy that could save more lives by earlier intervention.

Ironically, though the Catholic church has long practiced the exorcism rituals, Dr. MacNutt had to leave the church in order to teach the methods of spiritual healing to more people freely without depending on church authority. He also blames the Christian church for denying access to this knowledge of spiritual healing, and he himself is Christian!

Christian Healing Ministries

My father's sister died in an institution of a schizophrenic disorder for which she quit taking her medicine. My mother was worried I had this genetically after I had an explosive spiritual experience in 1990 when I was 23. But I sought spiritual counseling for my visions so I could interpret them and work out the ideas into practical words and applications that make sense to people. Since I could tell the difference between a symbolic spiritual vision and what I can do or can't do in the real world, that is the main difference. I know I am going through a spiritual process, but people who have such wild thoughts and don't know what is the past or future, or what is real or symbolic in meaning, I can see how that can come across as speaking in tongues or crazy mixed perceptions of reality and fantasy. The difference is that I know to get an agreement on interpretation or validation from others, especially if I have wild ideas about the future. My ideas can sound just as crazy if I didn't finish the entire process of editing them into some useable form that apply to real life.

I think a lot of the imbalance in thoughts or emotions are part of the spiritual process of recovering and healing from past trauma or grief, or major life changes or disrupted relations; and most can be resolved by meditation and prayer for healing and removal of unforgiven blockages and conflicts that can attract chronic rage, addiction, or disorder.

Another story. My mother's death.

When I found my mother in 1995, my sister wanted nothing to do with her. She declined my offer to pay for a reunion trip for her and the kids. When I met my mother, I learned that she was schizophrenic, and that she'd had another daughter, my half-sister, who was also schizophrenic. I met my half-sister for the first time when I met my mother. My mother was abandoned by my grandmother, who sent her to the US to be adopted. My grandmother was in a Magdalene Home in Ireland.

My mother was never adopted, but went into foster care.

My half-sister, had two children out of wedlock that she put up for adoption. That's three generations of mothers abandoning their children. Both my mother and my full blood sister and I were in foster homes.

When my mother died, my half-sister was in psychiatric care. I wasn't even able to talk to her, I was sending messages to her through her psychiatrist, who didn't know our history.
The messages I got from the psychiatrist made no sense to me. My other sister wanted
nothing to do with my mother even after she had died and didn't even want to contribute five dollars to her cremation just for the interdependence. My half-sister wanted me to have a traditonal Catholic funeral with 'all the family there." There was no family there. My father's side of the family had nothing to do with my mother, and my mother's foster parents had both died. She had no siblings. My father was already dead.

I had the body cremated and shipped to me. I had my cousin have a Catholic mass said for her. I took my mother's remains and made clay tsa tsa with a Lama and we played my mothers ashes in those. Tsa Tsa's are representations of enlightened mind. We prayed and meditated the whole time, my wife helped.

When the tsa tsas were completed we performed a Buddhist death ceremony for my mother. I also spent the 49 days after my mothers death praying and meditating for her fortunate rebirth. I had a special practice done that takes a month by a yogi to purify my mothers karma so that she would not be reborn in a hell realm.

Then my wife and I hiked all 108 tsa tsas filled with my mothers remains to a waterfall in Oregon and placed each one gently in a hidden area.

It felt right, and sensible that I do something for my mother that honored her and that could benefit her. Me attending a Catholic funeral alone would not have been right.

Sorry Sky all this time I was address you as a she.
Unless you are a lesbian and have a wife as a partner, I assume you are a he?
Sorry for this oversight. I will try to backtrack and make sure I correct any references I can.

If you are worried about how Christians teach about hell, I recommend the books on the Gospel of Inclusion by Carlton Pearson. I believe there is hell, but believe it is more like the purgatory idea where it is a purging process in order to cleanse out the impurities and eventually all souls are saved in Christ Jesus. He descended into hell to save all souls across time and space. So prayers in Christ Jesus today for our ancestors still allow him to reach all those souls, and the karma they could not resolve is born later where this can be forgiven and given to Christ in prayer in future generations to break the cycle over time.
That is what I believe that fulfills both the teachings in Buddhism and in Christianity.
Since it is not taught in the Bible that way, but left as a mystery and just stated as a fact that Jesus brings salvation and atones for past sins to pay the debt, then this explanation would have to be taken or accepted on faith and agreement that this is what it means.

I believe that when all Buddhists and Christians join together in Christ, and pray in agreement to receive wisdom and truth, then whatever answer will be established. It will probably not be exactly as I say or see it, but may be something close to that vision. Somehow Jesus fulfills the path of breaking the cycle of sin and suffering to bring peace.

I drowned when I was a kid. 1958

Had the whole near-death experience.

Went to limbo, got tossed back into this breathing world.

All my intellectual rationalizing, all my dismissal of the entire event as merely the things one's brain does when it is dying have never really emotionally convinced me that it was nothing but me dying. Intellectually I can dismiss the event, but emotionally I cannot.

Ergo, I am convinced that there is more to the universe and being than we can even begin to imagine.

There is no conflict, as far as I can see, between science and spirituality.

Science is basically describing the plumbing of the universe.

It tells us what is going on, but not why.

Last edited:
editec, I might suggest a nice, short little book entitled "Heaven is for Real" for your reading pleasure. It's the story of Colby Burpo, a three year old who apparently went to Heaven (without dying) while on the table during appendix surgery. Very interesting story and the book is less than 200 pages long.

editec, I might suggest a nice, short little book entitled "Heaven is for Real" for your reading pleasure. It's the story of Colby Burpo, a three year old who apparently went to Heaven (without dying) while on the table during appendix surgery. Very interesting story and the book is less than 200 pages long.

Also Don Piper's Book "90 Minutes in Heaven"

And look online for "Testimonies of Hell", mightywind is the keyword in the website name
These are actually very touching video testimonies of people who were moved to realize they were hurting themselves with selfishness in life and learned to love and appreciate what htey had instead of being so angry they had after death experiences with seeing visions of hell instead of heaven and came back with a spiritually free outlook on life

Forum List

Back