Stiff new penalties for beating a team by 35 points or more

5 scores remain 5 scores.

Glad I could clear that up for you

Edited to add

But the question isn't really the score, it's the "feelings" of the team on the short in of the score. I have no problem with a reasonable mercy rule (although losing by a mercy rule is still a bummer). The question is, whose more at fault and who should be fined. The answer is we should not fine excellence. THAT is a terrible example for the kids.

A two score deficit in football with 5 minutes left is not the same as a two score deficit in baseball with an inning left

I see very little difference, especially considering hurry up offenses, onside kicks and time outs in football. In both cases you need 2 scores with plenty of time. The main difference is, in football the two scores can actually win the game, in baseball two scores just creates a tie.

I have rarely seen a football team overcome a two score deficit with five minutes left

I have often seen a baseball team come back from a two score deficit in the ninth inning

A two score deficit in football with 5 minutes left is not the same as a two score deficit in baseball with an inning left

I see very little difference, especially considering hurry up offenses, onside kicks and time outs in football. In both cases you need 2 scores with plenty of time. The main difference is, in football the two scores can actually win the game, in baseball two scores just creates a tie.

I have rarely seen a football team overcome a two score deficit with five minutes left

I have often seen a baseball team come back from a two score deficit in the ninth inning

It's rare to see a football team score 9 points in the last 5 minutes of a game?

no, you don't, or you'd understand that a 5 score deficit in a timed game is not quite like one in an untimed game.

5 scores remain 5 scores.

Glad I could clear that up for you

Edited to add

But the question isn't really the score, it's the "feelings" of the team on the short in of the score. I have no problem with a reasonable mercy rule (although losing by a mercy rule is still a bummer). The question is, whose more at fault and who should be fined. The answer is we should not fine excellence. THAT is a terrible example for the kids.

You really think that a 14 point lead in football with 5 minutes left is a lock?

You are ignorant on that topic too, I see.

1994 John Tyler vs. Plano East high school football game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On November 26, 1994, in a high school football playoff game in Texas, the Lions of John Tyler High School defeated the Panthers of Plano East Senior High School 48–44. The game drew national attention in the United States due to its wildly improbable and tumultuous finish, with five touchdowns scored in the last two and a half minutes (and seven in the last four and a half minutes), ...

Top 10 greatest comebacks in NFL history..

Ending the game before time has run out steals from the losing team the ability to redeem themselves, something you libtards don't understand.

Yea if that 7 year olds getting his shit blown up by 35+ points then fuck him! That's how you grow hair on your balls!

You nutters :cuckoo:

It's not about fuck that kid losing. Impose these sorts of rules and I could come right back with an equally sarcastic, "Yeah! Fuck those kids for being better at stuff than anybody else!" Why are we choosing which kids to fuck?

Let them figure it out themselves on the field. If one team wins by 100, better to let the excellent excel at the cost of the hurt feelings of the mediocre than to stunt the front-runners.

As a side note, I love that I was able to make a serious argument while at the same time talk about choosing which kids to fuck.

Private concern. They get to make their own rules.

One of the primary goals for those who operate youth sports organizations is increasing player participation. Apparently, the people who run this league have determined that teams running up the score is not conducive to reaching that goal.

There are programs for very young players where scores are not officially kept. But....the league in question here does keep score....they publish them on their website. They certainly have winners and losers. In fact, there are teams in that league that have no wins in 5 games and have been outscored by over 100 points. I think that is humiliating enough to teach those kids the value of losing.

I will tell you this. Having coached elite level youth baseball and fastpitch softball here for 30 years the kids here are far from being pussies. And...I expect that a good number of the boys who play in the football league in CA will end up playing in college. They are not being pussified.

Please....continue your outrage.

So why not just end the game? If your team can't block or tackle maybe they should find a coach who can teach that. While I agree that humiliation isn't an easy thing to endure, it's part of life. Throw the white towel on the field and take the kids out for some tofu on a bed of arugula. That's what they did on Barry's team. :gay:

You might be confused. I am not on the board of that league. You may want to ask them those questions. There may very well be better ways to handle this. I can tell you though.....that keeping the spectators around as long as possible is in the interests of the concession sales.

In baseball, it is common to end games if the score is one sided after 4 innings. As a coach, I never really liked it. But leagues do it for various reasons. If I really oppose it....I could start my own league. I wonder if I would end up doing it too?

When all is said and done.....nobody remembers the score. They do remember who won and who lost. As longs as the better team is not prevented from winning......what is the difference?

Barry's team? Are you really that obsessed? Sad.

So when it's a rout and the kids with little play time finally get the ball, they are told they aren't allowed to score? That's just silly.

I like the way our league does it. As a matter of etiquette, no starters on the winning team play when there is a 20 point gap.

Private concern. They get to make their own rules.

One of the primary goals for those who operate youth sports organizations is increasing player participation. Apparently, the people who run this league have determined that teams running up the score is not conducive to reaching that goal.

There are programs for very young players where scores are not officially kept. But....the league in question here does keep score....they publish them on their website. They certainly have winners and losers. In fact, there are teams in that league that have no wins in 5 games and have been outscored by over 100 points. I think that is humiliating enough to teach those kids the value of losing.

I will tell you this. Having coached elite level youth baseball and fastpitch softball here for 30 years the kids here are far from being pussies. And...I expect that a good number of the boys who play in the football league in CA will end up playing in college. They are not being pussified.

Please....continue your outrage.

This argument I agree with.

Regardless how you feel about the philosophies involved and what message is being sent to the youth, ultimately this football league is a business and, as such, is out to make a profit (one would assume). If it profits them to adjust their rules in this fashion (and in California I could see this being a sound business move, if anywhere) then they've got my full support in doing so. I like money, too.

Don't like it? Don't enroll your kids in that league. I sure as fuck wouldn't.

Yea if that 7 year olds getting his shit blown up by 35+ points then fuck him! That's how you grow hair on your balls!

It's not about fuck that kid losing. Impose these sorts of rules and I could come right back with an equally sarcastic, "Yeah! Fuck those kids for being better at stuff than anybody else!" Why are we choosing which kids to fuck?

Let them figure it out themselves on the field. If one team wins by 100, better to let the excellent excel at the cost of the hurt feelings of the mediocre than to stunt the front-runners.

As a side note, I love that I was able to make a serious argument while at the same time talk about choosing which kids to fuck.

These sort of wimpification rules don't take anything from the winning team, who would just as likely prefer to hit the showers and go home early with a win.

The people getting robbed are the losing team players who don't get to learn to NEVER give up.

So why not just end the game? If your team can't block or tackle maybe they should find a coach who can teach that. While I agree that humiliation isn't an easy thing to endure, it's part of life. Throw the white towel on the field and take the kids out for some tofu on a bed of arugula. That's what they did on Barry's team. :gay:

You might be confused. I am not on the board of that league. You may want to ask them those questions. There may very well be better ways to handle this. I can tell you though.....that keeping the spectators around as long as possible is in the interests of the concession sales.

In baseball, it is common to end games if the score is one sided after 4 innings. As a coach, I never really liked it. But leagues do it for various reasons. If I really oppose it....I could start my own league. I wonder if I would end up doing it too?

When all is said and done.....nobody remembers the score. They do remember who won and who lost. As longs as the better team is not prevented from winning......what is the difference?

So when it's a rout and the kids with little play time finally get the ball, they are told they aren't allowed to score? That's just silly.

I like the way our league does it. As a matter of etiquette, no starters on the winning team play when there is a 20 point gap.

That's an excellent way to handle it!

These sort of wimpification rules don't take anything from the winning team, who would just as likely prefer to hit the showers and go home early with a win.

The people getting robbed are the losing team players who don't get to learn to NEVER give up.

I agree with the latter part, but it does also rob the kids winning, at least in my mind.

I'm a competitive guy who grew up in a sports family. I ain't satisfied winning if I can break the record on the amount by which the game was won.

On top of that, for those kids in leagues that do keep track of statistics or playing in HS where potentially college recruiters can be more easily swayed by higher statistical numbers, it absolutely hinders them to be held back from winning by too much. I say if you can move the ball on the ground 800 yards a game then fuckin do it! If your running back is capable of those kinds of numbers, let him show the world and be proud. Teaching children that their excellence should be hidden lest they risk hurting the feelings of the less capable is robbing those children. It's only the degree to which they're being robbed that's situational.

Last edited:

This is a good compromise. From a business perspective, it ups the participation and thus the draw for the kids involved, not just on the losing teams but on the winning teams as well.

And in stead of telling the kids that are good at it that they have to pretend to be shittier, you just tell 'em good job, come have a Gatorade and celebrate, you killed 'em! And you still give the kids on the losing team a chance to bring it back, rather than just ending the game.

I still don't like a hard and fast rule that keeps the kids who are young superstars from rackin up stats if they're so inclined, but this ain't too shabby. If I had kids, I'd enroll 'em under this system.

I agree with the latter part, but it does also rob the kids winning, at least in my mind.

I'm a competitive guy who grew up in a sports family. I ain't satisfied winning if I can break the record on the amount by which the game was won.

On top of that, for those kids in leagues that do keep track of statistics or playing in HS where potentially college recruiters can be more easily swayed by higher statistical numbers, it absolutely hinders them to be held back from winning by too much. I say if you can move the ball on the ground 800 yards a game then fuckin do it! If your running back is capable of those kinds of numbers, let him show the world and be proud. Teaching children that their excellence should be hidden lest they risk hurting the feelings of the less capable is robbing those children. It's only the degree to which they're being robbed that's situational.

This isn't for high school. The numbers don't matter.

This is a good compromise. From a business perspective, it ups the participation and thus the draw for the kids involved, not just on the losing teams but on the winning teams as well.

And in stead of telling the kids that are good at it that they have to pretend to be shittier, you just tell 'em good job, come have a Gatorade and celebrate, you killed 'em! And you still give the kids on the losing team a chance to bring it back, rather than just ending the game.

I still don't like a hard and fast rule that keeps the kids who are young superstars from rackin up stats if they're so inclined, but this ain't too shabby. If I had kids, I'd enroll 'em under this system.

It works really well. It even ups the game for the superstars because they want to get kept out of the game earlier and earlier. It works extremely well for getting the 2nd and 3rd string kids some real playing time. At this age, there are lots of kids that can be awesome players but they don't get enough time on the field. Last year half of the starters fell back when the kids who were brand new got some experience.

As reported by Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA, the Northern California Federation Youth Football League (NCFYFL) instituted stiff new penalties for any teams that beat opponents by 35 points or more. Specifically, those teams will be fined $200 and their coaches will be suspended from all league activities for two weeks. The penalty is a drastic change for the league of 7-13 year-olds, which previously issued teams with a warning following such blowouts and required a written description that detailed what the victorious team had done to try and keep scores low.

Y! SPORTS

Everyone gets a trophy and it doesn't matter if you get your butts kicked in college football.

What kind of moron came up with that retarded idea? Good God.

I expected it when Staubach was playing.

It's rare to see a football team score 9 points in the last 5 minutes of a game?

Didn't Atlanta rack up three touchdowns in less than a minute once?

Forum List

Back