Stiff new penalties for beating a team by 35 points or more

I'm good with a 10 run mercy rule in Baseball
Gives you an incentive to win the game outright or fight to keep the margin under 10

College Football is a joke as ranked powerhouses book teams play teams ranked in the hundreds. Works out as a practice game for them where they can run up their stats

Ohio State or Alabama get a 35 point lead in the second quarter? Send everyone home

Since NCAA football supports most of the school's other athletic programs, the big schools give small schools a shot at the TV money they take in. When tiny Akron plays the Wolverines in Ann Arbor, they get a payday as good as ten games against schools their own size. That money supports everything from swimming to gymnastics at the small school.

Who cares?

Still counts for a win by Michigan (I think Akron played it close the last time they met) These games are shams and shouldn't be allowed. The win shouldn't count and the stats shouldn't count. Big 10 teams should not get fat off of MAC teams.

I can assure you the Akron AD cares because he wants a shot at that dough. Akron did indeed almost stun an overrated Michigan team...it came down to a 4th and goal in the final seconds. So Akron lost but they got the money and exposure that will help them recruit players in the next few years that couldn't get into a big football powerhouse school. Doesn't always work out for the small school. Two weeks before Akron they let the Central Michigan Chippewas into the BIG HOUSE....that ended up not only in a blowout, but CMU lost both their QB and top running back to broken bones. So that's on the CMU athletic director but he got the check and the rest of their programs are funded from it.

Gives you an incentive to win the game outright or fight to keep the margin under 10

College Football is a joke as ranked powerhouses book teams play teams ranked in the hundreds. Works out as a practice game for them where they can run up their stats

Ohio State or Alabama get a 35 point lead in the second quarter? Send everyone home

Since NCAA football supports most of the school's other athletic programs, the big schools give small schools a shot at the TV money they take in. When tiny Akron plays the Wolverines in Ann Arbor, they get a payday as good as ten games against schools their own size. That money supports everything from swimming to gymnastics at the small school.

Who cares?

Still counts for a win by Michigan (I think Akron played it close the last time they met) These games are shams and shouldn't be allowed. The win shouldn't count and the stats shouldn't count. Big 10 teams should not get fat off of MAC teams.

There's a reason why heavy weights don't box fly weights.

Who cares?

Really? If the money is right, that fly-weight will climb through those ropes every day and twice on Sunday.
bth_boxing.gif

Last edited:
Why do you ask? We are talking about football.

35 points in football is equal to 5 runs in baseball.

No you have to score a touchdown for seven points in football. You can hit a single in baseball and bring a runner in. Easier to score in baseball.

Field a punt, run it back, 15 seconds off the clock and between 6 and 8 points.

Actually, if you want better coaching I suggest fining the losing coach the $200.00

Who cares?

Really? If the money is right, that fly-weight will climb through those ropes every day and twice on Sunday.
bth_boxing.gif

Not exactly the same thing, but close enough

Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bth_boxing.gif

Not exactly the same thing, but close enough

Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That little bastard gave Clay blood clots in his shins by trying to foot-sweep him. Little man is usually faster and more elusive...exhaust the big man trying to catch him and then it's a shooting gallery. I've boxed in a pro gym and never saw the lighter weight fighters take any crap off anybody.

Who cares?

I can assure you the Akron AD cares because he wants a shot at that dough. Akron did indeed almost stun an overrated Michigan team...it came down to a 4th and goal in the final seconds. So Akron lost but they got the money and exposure that will help them recruit players in the next few years that couldn't get into a big football powerhouse school. Doesn't always work out for the small school. Two weeks before Akron they let the Central Michigan Chippewas into the BIG HOUSE....that ended up not only in a blowout, but CMU lost both their QB and top running back to broken bones. So that's on the CMU athletic director but he got the check and the rest of their programs are funded from it.

You must be a MAC fan

They should put in a 35 point mercy rule

You fall behind 35 points and the game is over

Then you would also be in favor of a 5 run mercy rule in baseball? (or 4.375 runs considering a touchdown can be worth 8 points)

That makes all things equal you understand.

Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. Wisconsin Badgers - Recap - December 01, 2012 - ESPN

I think the Huskers might agree with you.

This just in.......Wisconsin scores again!

Who cares?

You must be a MAC fan

Yep. :eusa_angel:

You must be a MAC fan

Yep. :eusa_angel:

Me too

Went to Buffalo

As reported by Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA, the Northern California Federation Youth Football League (NCFYFL) instituted stiff new penalties for any teams that beat opponents by 35 points or more. Specifically, those teams will be fined $200 and their coaches will be suspended from all league activities for two weeks. The penalty is a drastic change for the league of 7-13 year-olds, which previously issued teams with a warning following such blowouts and required a written description that detailed what the victorious team had done to try and keep scores low.

Y! SPORTS

Everyone gets a trophy and it doesn't matter if you get your butts kicked in college football.

So to save yourself $200, you go up by 50 and in the last 2 minutes you let the other team score a couple of gimme touchdowns

Got arrested once with a buddy on the MSU campus for asking a couple girls where the party was. They reported us for it and the cops pulled us over and took us in for questioning. After that the only Big 10 school I'd root for is Michigan. Hate Ohio State of course, and U of Arizona because I'm also a Sun Devil fan kinda. Rich Rodriquez is now ruining their program like he did in Ann Arbor so that one's easy.

As reported by Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA, the Northern California Federation Youth Football League (NCFYFL) instituted stiff new penalties for any teams that beat opponents by 35 points or more. Specifically, those teams will be fined $200 and their coaches will be suspended from all league activities for two weeks. The penalty is a drastic change for the league of 7-13 year-olds, which previously issued teams with a warning following such blowouts and required a written description that detailed what the victorious team had done to try and keep scores low.

Y! SPORTS

Everyone gets a trophy and it doesn't matter if you get your butts kicked in college football.

So to save yourself $200, you go up by 50 and in the last 2 minutes you let the other team score a couple of gimme touchdowns

Bingo! :lol:

When I played H.S. football there was an unwritten rule that if you were beating the opposing team by a wide margin into the second 1/2 of the game.

The winning coach would start sending in the 2nd and even 3rd string players.

Which helped gave his junior level players some on the field game experience. .. :cool:

When I played H.S. football there was an unwritten rule that if you were beating the opposing team by a wide margin into the second 1/2 of the game.

The winning coach would start sending in the 2nd and even 3rd string players.

Which helped gave his junior level players some on the field game experience. .. :cool:

I was on a really good High School football team. There were times that we did that and all it did was put fresh legs on the field and they were still able to score.

On the other side of the coin, our Basketball team was HORRIBLE and we got run up on a lot. We ran into teams that would empty the bench trying to keep the score down and we still got walloped a number of times. Mid season our coach knew we would never win a bunch of games and started almost exclusively coaching defense. By the end of the year we were competitive in all of our games including the two finalists in the State finals. Lost to one by 4, and the other by 7.

Coaches that see the strengths and weaknesses of their teams, and coach based on that alone can take a weak team, with low self esteem and make them compete with the best.

I was only half kidding when I said that if you really want to help, you would fine the losing coach.

Y! SPORTS

IF they are worried about it they should just have a rule that the game is over once any team is ahead by 35 points.

Private concern. They get to make their own rules.

One of the primary goals for those who operate youth sports organizations is increasing player participation. Apparently, the people who run this league have determined that teams running up the score is not conducive to reaching that goal.

There are programs for very young players where scores are not officially kept. But....the league in question here does keep score....they publish them on their website. They certainly have winners and losers. In fact, there are teams in that league that have no wins in 5 games and have been outscored by over 100 points. I think that is humiliating enough to teach those kids the value of losing.

I will tell you this. Having coached elite level youth baseball and fastpitch softball here for 30 years the kids here are far from being pussies. And...I expect that a good number of the boys who play in the football league in CA will end up playing in college. They are not being pussified.

Please....continue your outrage.

I was at a game once where they were letting the waterboy play, and still running up the score. They scored one touch down when the other team fumbled near the center of the field, revovered, and ran it in for a touchdown in the wrong endzone.

It doesn't make sense to punish the winning team for the incompetency of the losing team.

Forum List

Back