Stiff new penalties for beating a team by 35 points or more

They should put in a 35 point mercy rule

You fall behind 35 points and the game is over

Good rule. No need to stomp a hole in your opponent. 35 points and the fact they had to call off the dogs is enough humiliation to provide inspiration for the losing team to play better.

Ah, our bad-ass coon with a sniper rifle weighs in.....so what's a running back who breaks into the open field during a blowout supposed to do if there's nobody between him and the end-zone...fall down and play dead? :lol:

Ok candy ass Gomer Pyle. The running back should his job and score. The officials should end the game if a team is getting blown out by 35. At some point the final score becomes insignificant. At some point you realized you just got your ass waxed pretty badly. 35 is a good point

A team doesn't have to show another team up...after a certain point you play your scrubs and run the ball. But if the other team can't handle that and shows themselves up, who cares? In MLB you don't steal bases when you're up by 8 runs and you don't admire moonshot homeruns before you start the trot. And you don't laugh or even smile in the direction of the other dugout....that will get your next hitter's tower buzzed or worse, hit around the knees. The guy hit can glance out at the pitcher but if he stares at him, watch and see....the pitcher always starts walking toward him....it's how it's done. Look at what Ohio State did to A&M last Saturday....you think they won't vow revenge for that and one day the Fuckeyes will get paid what they're owed. But FINE Ohio State for it?......you gotta be kidding.

Good rule. No need to stomp a hole in your opponent. 35 points and the fact they had to call off the dogs is enough humiliation to provide inspiration for the losing team to play better.

Ah, our bad-ass coon with a sniper rifle weighs in.....so what's a running back who breaks into the open field during a blowout supposed to do if there's nobody between him and the end-zone...fall down and play dead? :lol:

Ok candy ass Gomer Pyle. The running back should his job and score. The officials should end the game if a team is getting blown out by 35. At some point the final score becomes insignificant. At some point you realized you just got your ass waxed pretty badly. 35 is a good point

Is trailing by 5 in baseball considered a blowout?

Why do you ask? We are talking about football.

Nope, 5 is the "safe" number because a grand slam can't tie it. The blowout probably starts at 7 or 8 runs...that's when most teams pull in their horns but still take their swings...just not the extra-base. All leagues everywhere should strive for competitive balance and hire coaches who know their stuff and don't play their own kids over better kids. I could always throw a ball through a brick wall but the coach wouldn't let me pitch because he "needed a lefty" (ie his son) in the rotation. I never forgot that coach....I complained and he made me catch during a practice. If you've never worn the gear, you'll never know that you have to learn not to blink when the hitter swings the bat. I caught a swing and miss in the chest a couple times, and that ended my catching career in addition to my pitching career. I'll never forget that coach.

Last edited:

Nope, 5 is the "safe" number because a grand slam can't tie it. The blowout probably starts at 7 or 8 runs...that's when most teams pull in their horns but still take their swings...just not the extra-base. All legues everywhere should strive for competitive balance and hire coaches who know their stuff and don't play their own kids over better kids. I could always throw a ball through a brick wall but the coach wouldn't let me pitch because he "needed a lefty" (ie his son) in the rotation. I never forgot that coach....I complained and he made me catch during a practice. If you've never worn the gear, you'll never know that you have to learn not to blink when the swings the bat. I caught a swing and miss in the chest a couple times, and that ended my catching career in addition to my pitching career. I'll never forget that coach.

The scoring is absolutely equal. The ego of the player losing by 5 scores is, equally shattered no matter what the game is is the same. If it makes that league feel better then score a touchdown as 2 and feild goals as 1.

Why do you ask? We are talking about football.

35 points in football is equal to 5 runs in baseball.

Nope, 5 is the "safe" number because a grand slam can't tie it. The blowout probably starts at 7 or 8 runs...that's when most teams pull in their horns but still take their swings...just not the extra-base. All legues everywhere should strive for competitive balance and hire coaches who know their stuff and don't play their own kids over better kids. I could always throw a ball through a brick wall but the coach wouldn't let me pitch because he "needed a lefty" (ie his son) in the rotation. I never forgot that coach....I complained and he made me catch during a practice. If you've never worn the gear, you'll never know that you have to learn not to blink when the swings the bat. I caught a swing and miss in the chest a couple times, and that ended my catching career in addition to my pitching career. I'll never forget that coach.

The scoring is absolutely equal. The ego of the player losing by 5 scores is, equally shattered no matter what the game is is the same. If it makes that league feel better then score a touchdown as 2 and feild goals as 1.

They already do that in leftist-loving soccer.....ever wonder WHY our kids play soccer instead of football and baseball these days? Low scores....little to no contact, and of course less equipment costs so the school can buy more computers for the little zombies to stare at all day instead of interacting with each other.

Last edited:

Then you would also be in favor of a 5 run mercy rule in baseball? (or 4.375 runs considering a touchdown can be worth 8 points)

That makes all things equal you understand.

I'm good with a 10 run mercy rule in Baseball
Gives you an incentive to win the game outright or fight to keep the margin under 10

College Football is a joke as ranked powerhouses book teams play teams ranked in the hundreds. Works out as a practice game for them where they can run up their stats

Ohio State or Alabama get a 35 point lead in the second quarter? Send everyone home

No its not. 35 is a larger number than 5. Thats why people that market products say stuff like $1 a day instead of $30 a month. Your mind makes it seem worse when the number is larger.

Then you would also be in favor of a 5 run mercy rule in baseball? (or 4.375 runs considering a touchdown can be worth 8 points)

Gives you an incentive to win the game outright or fight to keep the margin under 10

College Football is a joke as ranked powerhouses book teams play teams ranked in the hundreds. Works out as a practice game for them where they can run up their stats

Ohio State or Alabama get a 35 point lead in the second quarter? Send everyone home

Since NCAA football supports most of the school's other athletic programs, the big schools give small schools a shot at the TV money they take in. When tiny Akron plays the Wolverines in Ann Arbor, they get a payday as good as ten games against schools their own size. That money supports everything from swimming to gymnastics at the small school.

Because the game ends, and thats that. you lost. here they want the opposing team to lay down and let the other side get more attempts at coming back. Its a feel good exercise that is idiotic.

Just end the game at 35 points and be done with it.

No, if one team is up 35-0 and the losing team scores, the other team can then score another touchdown.

Even in the NFL there is an unwritten rule that at some point a team stops running up the score. If a team is up by 42 points in the 4th quarter they keep it on the ground and stop throwing bombs or big pass plays. I've seen fights break out over it.

If it's considered bad form in the NFL, why not youth leagues?

So those recent college 70 something point blowouts last week didnt happen? NFL margins of victory of 20-40 plus don't happen?

Punishing a team for playing well is feel good liberal bullshit. If you are losing, either have a mercy rule and end the game or take your licks.

You can't compare this to College 1A football. Many best teams throw in a few mismatched games early in their schedule to run up their win-loss total. The opposing team knows they will probably get blown out but they get a game on national television, big bucks and who knows...once in a while there is a big upset.

You'd never see an SEC or PAC 12 team playing another SEC or PAC 12 team and up by 35-42 points in the 4th quarter trying to run up the score. it's bad form and poor sportsmanship.

Last edited:

Since NCAA football supports most of the school's other athletic programs, the big schools give small schools a shot at the TV money they take in. When tiny Akron plays the Wolverines in Ann Arbor, they get a payday as good as ten games against schools their own size. That money supports everything from swimming to gymnastics at the small school.

Who cares?

Still counts for a win by Michigan (I think Akron played it close the last time they met) These games are shams and shouldn't be allowed. The win shouldn't count and the stats shouldn't count. Big 10 teams should not get fat off of MAC teams.

Forum List

Back