Stem Cells suppress AIDS !

that's right big bucks in dead baby's....not only as a stem cell supply but as beauty products and collagen

If you really feel that embryos are dead babies, then I am sorry.
I believe the end justifies the means with stem cell research.

Since you brought up collagen:

Modified collagen could yield important medical applications

Altered protein could help deliver drugs and shape the growth of engineered tissue

Collagen often pops up in beauty products and supermodel lips. But by mating collagen with a molecular hitchhiker, materials scientists at Johns Hopkins hope to create some important medical advances. The researchers have found a simple new way to modify collagen, paving the way for better infection-fighting bandages and a treatment to block the formation of unwanted scar tissue. In addition, tissue engineers may be able to use modified collagen in the lab to help control the formation of tiny new blood vessels that can be used to promote the integration of tissue implants in patients.

Modified collagen could yield important medical applications

I wonder how the moralists can reconcile saving embryos when millions of children are dying?

Well, I have to ask. How do you feel about drug testing on lab animals like dogs and bunny rabbits? How do you feel about cosmetic testing on them? How about testing on prison inmates? Are you gung-ho, 100% behind all of those?

Bone Marrow transplants are a form of adult stem cell research. How it is we so consistently hear how all the potential is in embryonic cells, yet all the advances are in the adult cells?

Bone Marrow transplants are a form of adult stem cell research. How it is we so consistently hear how all the potential is in embryonic cells, yet all the advances are in the adult cells?

In a word, politics. It's never a good thing when medical research becomes a political football.

yes who wants to stand in the way of human cloning or doomsday machines
best to let them science guys do as they please with no oversight

Who said anything about "no oversight"? I said medical research shouldn't be a political football, and it shouldn't. It's politics that leads you to cloning and doomsday machines, in case you haven't noticed. Private research dollars are going into adult stem cell research and cord blood research. Cloning is a concern with the embryonic research, which is all about political agendas instead of effectiveness.

Why the hell would anyone NEED a doomsday machine if they didn't have a political agenda?

So basically, your feeling is "Be nice to the animals, we'll just kill our own instead"?

What happened to all that outrage at standing in the way of scientific progress?

I don't know what you mean?
Babies don't get killed for the purposes of scientific research. :cuckoo:

I think this story i posted in the OP is good news. Don't you?

no they get murdered mostly for a lot of selfish and worldly reasons and sexuality that are propagated to young woman through the mainstream media and then used by science to produce products with commercial viability...they have a vested interest in assuring a good stable supply of fresh dead baby...

Perhaps you should look into a refresher course in basic biology at your local community college.

Embryos are distinct, living organisms of their species, whatever that is. For the purposes of this debate, that species would be human. They are very young; in fact, they are as young as it is possible to be. In imprecise terminology, that would make them "babies", which means "extremely young child" (the dictionary can be your friend). They cease living during the process of embryonic stem cell research. In English, another term for "cease living" is "die", and when you make a living organism "cease living" or "die", we call that "killing" him.

None of this is exactly rocket magic, so I fail to see why you're having such difficulty with the terminology or the concept, unless you just have a vested interest in being obtuse.

The story posted in the OP has nothing to do with ESCR, which is what the topic has become. We all already knew that significant advances were being made in adult stem cell research, which is why so many of us are at a loss to understand the frantic desire to spend tax money on unpromising and unproductive lines of research instead.

Yes, the patient in the story I posted in the OP, received a bone marrow transplant from the stem cells of an adult donor. The thread was subsequently taken a bit off course by some reactionary dramatists, who apparently equate donated embryos with real live babies.

I posted a few links to info about the specific benefits of research using pluripotent embryonic stem cells.

Here's more from Wiki:

Embryonic stem cells (ES cells) are stem cells derived from the inner cell mass of an early stage embryo known as a blastocyst. Human embryos reach the blastocyst stage 4-5 days post fertilization, at which time they consist of 50-150 cells.
Embryonic Stem (ES) cells are pluripotent. This means they are able to differentiate into all derivatives of the three primary germ layers: ectoderm, endoderm, and mesoderm. These include each of the more than 220 cell types in the adult body. Pluripotency distinguishes ES cells from multipotent progenitor cells found in the adult; these only form a limited number of cell types. When given no stimuli for differentiation, (i.e. when grown in vitro), ES cells maintain pluripotency through multiple cell divisions. The presence of pluripotent adult stem cells remains a subject of scientific debate; however, research has demonstrated that pluripotent stem cells can be directly generated from adult fibroblast cultures.[1]
Embryonic stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, the patient in the story I posted in the OP, received a bone marrow transplant from the stem cells of an adult donor. The thread was subsequently taken a bit off course by some reactionary dramatists, who apparently equate donated embryos with real live babies.

I posted a few links to info about the specific benefits of research using pluripotent embryonic stem cells.

Here's more from Wiki:

Embryonic stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia. :wtf: :rolleyes: Perhaps in the future you could post a REAL source.

un⋅born   /ʌnˈbɔrn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uhn-bawrn] Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

2. not yet delivered; still existing in the mother's womb: an unborn baby.

Last edited:
Wikipedia. :wtf: :rolleyes: Perhaps in the future you could post a REAL source.

:lol: I was in a rush.

Perhaps you could read the sources I had already posted?

Keep reading and you might figure out that stem cell research to cure deadly diseases is nothing AT ALL like putting chemicals in bunny rabbits eyes for cosmetic companies. :eusa_whistle:

:lol: I was in a rush.

Perhaps you could read the sources I had already posted?

Keep reading and you might figure out that stem cell research to cure deadly diseases is nothing AT ALL like putting chemicals in bunny rabbits eyes for cosmetic companies. :eusa_whistle:

I'm sorry, but why would I waste my time reading a source that I just got done telling you was beneath contempt as such? Did I not make that clear when I requested that you post a REAL source?

Actually, I don't think ANY motivation makes killing defenseless humans moral or acceptable, nor do I think such mental gymnastics make the valuing of animals over humans any less callous, insane or reprehensible.

By the way, you don't really think I'm going to let you get away with pretending that I only mentioned cosmetic research, do you? Nice try, but no dice. Is it okey-dokey with you if we use Fido and Bugs for medical testing, or is that just too cruel?

no they get murdered mostly for a lot of selfish and worldly reasons and sexuality that are propagated to young woman through the mainstream media and then used by science to produce products with commercial viability...they have a vested interest in assuring a good stable supply of fresh dead baby...

It sounds like you are talking about abortion. By "they get murdered" you mean the donated embryos??? Pluripotent Stem cells.

Eots, I respect your prolife stance, but I disagree with you in regards to stem cell research. Embryos are not babies. What about all the lives who will benefit from this scientific research?

Do you really put mud on your wounds? :eusa_eh:

It sounds like you are talking about abortion. By "they get murdered" you mean the donated embryos??? Pluripotent Stem cells.

Please get this straight. Embryos are not "pluripotent stem cells". They CONTAIN pluripotent stem cells. For the record, so do both you and I, and so does everyone else on this board.

If you MUST discuss scientific topics, it would be nice if you could attempt to have some basic science education first.

Eots, I respect your prolife stance, but I disagree with you in regards to stem cell research. Embryos are not babies. What about all the lives who will benefit from this scientific research?

And you base your assertion that embryos are not babies on what? Not the dictionary, because that's been covered. Not science, because I can easily cite you numerous embryology textbooks that would refute you, not to mention my own obstetrician, who looked at me like I was nuts when I asked him if the baby I'm carrying right now had been a living baby from conception, then said, "Of course he was."

What lives that will benefit from ESCR? Even assuming people accept the idea that it's acceptable to treat some lives as disposable for the benefit of others, can you name anyone specifically benefitting from ESCR, or any substantive evidence that anyone will?

And PLEASE don't quote me Wikipedia again. :eusa_hand:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back