State Takes Legal Action to Seize $135K From Bakers Who Refused to Make Cake for Lesbian Couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gender isn't in there, and neither is disability, veteran status, or a host of others we use in the law to protect people from being treated unfair. Toaster ovens aren't in their either but we laws regulating them...
Toaster ovens don't own businesses, people do. Your point is that government can do anything it wants, regardless of the Constitution. It's purpose is to restrict government from trampling on our freedoms. Liberals invent laws to do exactly that. Freedom vs. tyranny.

Gender isn't in there, and neither is disability, veteran status, or a host of others we use in the law to protect people from being treated unfair. Toaster ovens aren't in their either but we laws regulating them...
Toaster ovens don't own businesses, people do. Your point is that government can do anything it wants, regardless of the Constitution. It's purpose is to restrict government from trampling on our freedoms. Liberals invent laws to do exactly that. Freedom vs. tyranny.
No, it can do what is found to be constitutional, and PA laws are.

So, if I think a person is too fat and I own a grocery store, I should be able to refuse to serve that person? No, you're too fat and have had enough Twinkies, IMO. Get out! :D

Absolutely, and they should have the right to never come back and tell their friends about you.

The problem is you're hitting a brad with a sledge hammer and taking out lots of other innocents along the way. Government has no legitimate power to force citizens to do business with each other

Actually government does, but it needs a compelling government interest to get involved. The commerce clause does give them the power, but progressives want that power as absolute, and libertarians such as myself (small "l") want the power tempered against the rights of others.
Bull, going to your grocery store has zero to do with interstate commerce

Then the states can make their own laws regarding PA(and most of these cases involve state law).

They "can" but they shouldn't. How many businesses actually turn down paying customers? And how much does government abuse any power given to it? Again, it's hitting a brad with a sledge hammer

Almost 3 in 4 millennials support same-sex marriage - The Boston Globe

Today’s US Supreme Court ruling falls upon a country in which the majority of residents support same-sex marriage.

As state after state opened its doors to same-sex marriage during the last decade, favorability among the American public grew, according to the Pew Research Center. And it continues to do so.

steadily climbed in the last decade, growing 24 percentage points.

America’s other adult generations have also shown increasing support for same-sex marriage in recent years. The majority of Gen Xers became proponents of it in 2012, increasing to 59 percent in 2015.

While the favorability ratings among baby boomers and the silent generation (those born from 1928 to 1945) are still below 50 percent, the percentage of people who support it in each generation has grown during the last 10 years.

Millennials lead in support for same-sex marriage

Percent of generation who favor same-sex marriage

MILLENNIALS

GEN X

BABY BOOMERS

SILENT GENERATION
DATA: Pew Research Center

Globe Staff

The influence of millennials isn’t only due to their more widespread acceptance of same-sex marriage but also by their size. They are the nation’s largest generation, making up more than a quarter of the US population, according to the US Census.

Millennial support for same-sex marriage does not break down on any political lines. Though overall, Democrats support same-sex marriage at higher rates than Republicans, the majority of millennials are in favor of it regardless of political affiliation.

Millennials in favor of same-sex marriage, regardless of political affiliation
Percent of generation in favor by political affiliation and/or leaning in 2015
Millennials: Democrats
82%
Millennials: Republicans
59%
Gen X: Democrats
71%
Gen X: Republicans
45%
Baby Boomer: Democrats
60%
Baby Boomer: Republicans
31%
Silent Generation: Democrats
54%
Silent Generation: Republicans
24%
SOURCE: Pew Research Center
GLOBE STAFF

Enthusiasm for same-sex marriage is almost ubiquitous in the LGBT community; only 7 percent of the LGBT population opposed it, according to a 2015 Pew study.

But within the community, the younger generation still has higher rates of support. Of LGBT millennials, 95 percent were in favor of same-sex marriage, and 82 percent were strongly in favor of it.

By comparison, 91 percent LGBT adults age 30 and older supported the legal marriage for gay and lesbian Americans, with 71 percent strongly in favor of it.

In your personal life, you can refuse to associate with whomever you wish. You can hate them. You can go online and rant about them. You can call them names, etc. Whatever floats your boat, but you cannot carry that over into your business practice. This was determined a LONG time ago by the SC.

Doing business is your personal life. Selling pencils never made you government's bitch

Let us assume for a moment that you are a 450 pound obese old man who smells because he cannot wash himself properly. That disgusts me. Do I have the right to not serve you in my business because of that disgust?

Yes, you shoild have that right.
Ok, fair enough. How about rejecting a customer because of their religion?

In your personal life, you can refuse to associate with whomever you wish. You can hate them. You can go online and rant about them. You can call them names, etc. Whatever floats your boat, but you cannot carry that over into your business practice. This was determined a LONG time ago by the SC.

Doing business is your personal life. Selling pencils never made you government's bitch

No, it is not your personal life. There are laws and regulations set forth by each state that you must follow and that you agree to follow whenever you pen your name to the legal document known as a business permit.

No, but it means you are now subject to their power to regulate. That is the real world, embrace it.

Let us assume for a moment that you are a 450 pound obese old man who smells because he cannot wash himself properly. That disgusts me. Do I have the right to not serve you in my business because of that disgust?

That works, you can kick the assess of all the Christians and Jews out of your business you want to

Incorrect. In fact, PA laws have had their Constitutionality challenged. Guess what happened.

No, it is not your personal life. There are laws and regulations set forth by each state that you must follow and that you agree to follow whenever you pen your name to the legal document known as a business permit.

Ah, OK, if I make a deal with someone to make a living I'm no longer free, I'm a slave to government. That makes sense, I get it now

I understand that you don't like PA laws and wish they were repealed. Correct?

That works, you can kick the assess of all the Christians and Jews out of your business you want to
Only in your fantasyland, or anarchy...

Incorrect. In fact, PA laws have had their Constitutionality challenged. Guess what happened.

Government decided they have any fucking power they want and they can do anything they fucking want to because it's up to government what their powers are.

Am I right?

Not with current PA laws I can't. I would be taken to court very very quickly. And I would lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back