State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
Obama thinks the American people are idiots.

Or he's an idiot himself.

"
President Obama's 2012 State of the Union address again rated at an 8th grade comprehension level on the Flesch-Kincaid readability test — the third lowest score of any State of the Union address since 1934.
The University of Minnesota's Smart Politics conducted an analysis on the last 70 State of the Union addresses and found that President Obama's three addresses have the lowest grade average of any modern president. "Obama's average grade-level score of 8.4 is more than two grades lower than the 10.7 grade average for the other 67 addresses written by his 12 predecessors," they conclude."

State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level - POLITICO.com

Is that not a good thing?

There are drop-outs in our society that can not read at a grade level past 8th grade!

"
President Obama's 2012 State of the Union address again rated at an 8th grade comprehension level on the Flesch-Kincaid readability test — the third lowest score of any State of the Union address since 1934.
The University of Minnesota's Smart Politics conducted an analysis on the last 70 State of the Union addresses and found that President Obama's three addresses have the lowest grade average of any modern president. "Obama's average grade-level score of 8.4 is more than two grades lower than the 10.7 grade average for the other 67 addresses written by his 12 predecessors," they conclude."

Well that pretty much sums it up. President Obama isn't speaking to conservative Republicans, otherwise he would dumb it down to their level of comprehension.

No, it's not a good thing at all. You don't "dumb down" things in order to accomodate retards. People LEARN via EXPOSURE. My step son, who is 14, tests much lower because he has never been exposed to anything remotely scholarly...I do NOT speak to him as if he's a 4th grader, and when I write to him, I write at MY level, not his. When he doesn't understand (which is rare) then we modify it or he figures it out on his own.

Eighth graders can read Shakespeare. This is evidence of Obama's arrogance and elitism.

"

Well that pretty much sums it up. President Obama isn't speaking to conservative Republicans, otherwise he would dumb it down to their level of comprehension.

Evidently not...

But even though the last five presidents have the lowest five collective scores on this readability test, Obama's speeches were written at a much lower grade level than those recorded by Ronald Reagan (10.3) and George W. Bush (10.4).

I suspect Obama's speech writers want to make sure his constituency is able to understand him.

Well, if the 1934 speech is the 4th lowest and all Obama's previous efforts were in the 8th grade level, it can't be to Republicans that he is making his focus

It would have been useful to show the rankings.

And with the literacy level of some of the liberals here, (I am looking at you Mascale) I am surprised he didn't go for crayon

Sheesh try on Dragon, Drock or JS for size.

You're absolutely right.

Gotta dumb it down for his Democrat Dummies. He knows his base very well. Surprised he didn't mention DA BOOOOOOOSH.

Well, if the 1934 speech is the 4th lowest and all Obama's previous efforts were in the 8th grade level, it can't be to Republicans that he is making his focus

It would have been useful to show the rankings.

And with the literacy level of some of the liberals here, (I am looking at you Mascale) I am surprised he didn't go for crayon

The transcript is being released in pop-up format.

No, it's not a good thing at all. You don't "dumb down" things in order to accomodate retards. People LEARN via EXPOSURE. My step son, who is 14, tests much lower because he has never been exposed to anything remotely scholarly...I do NOT speak to him as if he's a 4th grader, and when I write to him, I write at MY level, not his. When he doesn't understand (which is rare) then we modify it or he figures it out on his own.

I just ran this through the calculator. Here are the results:

Result

Method used: Flesch-Kincaid (English).

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 7.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 69.

Eighth graders can read Shakespeare. This is evidence of Obama's arrogance and elitism.

Did you say Obama is arrogant???

Well....at the 2009 Correspondents' Association Dinner:

"He said he believed that "my next 100 days will be so successful, I will be able to complete them in 72 days ... and on the 73rd day, I will rest."

"He said he believed that "my next 100 days will be so successful, I will be able to complete them in 72 days ... and on the 73rd day, I will rest."

It's so great how he's elevated the office of the president.

Aw, quit your bitching. If he spoke like he was speaking to intellectual equals you'd be whining that he was an elitist.

You're so transparent, Babble.

You won't ever see me whining about eloquence and elegance in a speech or in writing.

The speeches he directs towards us makes his condesenscion obvious. He's an arrogant pos.

But as they say, he's speaking to his own base. That's you, ravtard.

Aw, quit your bitching. If he spoke like he was speaking to intellectual equals you'd be whining that he was an elitist.

You're so transparent, Babble.

What do you mean "IF".

The way he guards his grades and transcripts...that might well BE the way he speaks to his intellectual equals.

After all....he was addressing Congress

AND the American people. He knows he can't BS Congress, he never has and never will. His speech was to the Nation...and full of BS. He knows his followers are going to soak up every word he says as gospel. I just can't figure out why so many people still love the shit out of him and don't see what he's done to us. Have you ever admitted when Obama was wrong on ANYTHING??

He has to play to his base. You have to realize these are people who get their News & Information from Whoopi Goldberg's ass on 'The View.' We're not dealing with brainiacs here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back