Spring's economic rebound unlikely to last

.....and non oil based heat. I don't that I've ever run across anyone allergic to saw dust. And last I checked most of those things would be considered exercise and thus good for you.
I used to heat my house with wood in Upstate NY, using the oil fired boiler as a back-up. I didn't have many trees on my property so I had the logs delivered, then I would chunk, split, stack and season. We used 8 to 10 full cords each winter. When I got busier I had it delivered split. One time I bought a load of pallet wood.

When we moved South I put in a cast iron insert for our fireplace. We had a tornado come through one year and took down 7 of our 8 trees, so I built a wood shed and filled that up. I was able to supply about 1/2 the heat for this much larger house. When my daughter turned 6 she started having trouble breathing during cold winter days, and we found out she had developed an allergy to the trace amounts of wood smoke and dust that the stove tends to generate.

Spring's economic rebound unlikely to last
Spring's economic strength unlikely to last given slowdowns overseas, struggling consumers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The economy pulled out of a dangerous rough patch in the spring, thanks largely to strong exports, but the rebound isn't expected to last. Economic slowdowns overseas could make exports tail off just as Americans are hunkering down after the bracing impact of rebate checks wanes, plunging the country into another rut later this year.

:lol:

i know i know... "I am a deist" also must mean that one is a jesus loving baptist!

:lol::lol:

You heating your home exclusively with wood and you've got enough standing dead trees to do that?

Partially yes, We have 25 acres, pretty much all forested, plus 80 acres of leased land, so yeah there's plenty.

I think the last I heard seasoned wood is about $280 a cord if you can find it.

Understand hereabouts people aren't buying wood for the ambiance, they're burning it to heat their entire homes.

I don't know how much wood you use, but I expect I'd need seven or eight cords of excellent hardwood, well seasoned to heat my home.

Between cutting it, hauling it out of the woods, splitting it, stacking it, and then messing with the fire, it isn't free.

And since I don't happen to OWN a wood lot, I'd be paying somebody to get wood their land, too.

That's one of the reason my neighbor is gathering driftwood.

It's basically free for the labor.

We do supplement with a natural gas furnace as well, but I would guess we maybe go through 2 cords in a winter.

Partially yes, We have 25 acres, pretty much all forested, plus 80 acres of leased land, so yeah there's plenty.

Well that certainly makes the price of oil advantageous for you, doesn't it?

Mother nature is out there growing you more potential energy.

I don't happen to have that advantage so my turning to wood (which I'd have to purchase) doesn't give me much relief (if any) from the rising cost of energy.

We do supplement with a natural gas furnace as well, but I would guess we maybe go through 2 cords in a winter.

Unless you happen to live ina 200 sq. ft house, I'd say you're probably burning wood as much for the wonderful ambiance that a wood burning stove gets you, than as a primary heating source.

Two cords of wood? To heat an average American home in the North!?

Maybe in Florida that'd be enough wood, not hearabouts.

I have a fairly modest home fairly well insulated and I currently use about 700 gallons of heating oil for both heat and hot water.

19,600,000 Btu/cord x .50 = $12.24 /MB+u
Note 4: Wood prices will vary considerable across the state.
B. Fuel Quantity /Cost Comparison:
A homeowner is using 700 gallons fuel oil per year and wants to switch to wood heat using an airtight stove and half dry red oak at the above prices. Compare these:
(1) 700 gal fuel oil x 140,000 Btu/gal x .65 efficiency = 63.7 MBtu Annual cost = 700 gal x $1.50/gal = $1,050
(2) Wood required =
63.7 MBtu useful heat/season
-------------------------------------
19.6 MBtu/cord x .50 eff. = 6.5 cords

At $280 per cord I'd spend about $1,820 compared to the roughly $2,800 I'll spend if the rpice of heating oil is $4 a gallon.

Of course in order to heat my home with wood, i would need to invest in a larger wood burning furnace, and I'd have to build another chimney to accomodate its exhaust.

So I need about $10,000 to install a wood burning furnace which might save me $1000 this year.

I might install an existing woodstove to augment my heating systems, but even that comes with real expenses like installing it, buying stovepipes that go up threefloor and then the cost of punching a hole through my metal roof (that I just paid $5300 to install this spring), too.

No I think my best bet is to augment heating my first floor with natural gas furnce because the installation is minimal, and the price of gas, while rising, is still somewhat better than the cost of # 2 jhome heating oil.

But thanks for you input, Bern80, because you really have made me think about this problem (one I've been putting off for a while) and by doing so, you have galvinized me to taking steps to deal with this situation.

Note to self: move gas furnace from shedquarters to living room this week.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back